Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
Android release announced for February 3rd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wonder what took so long, I didn't think that would ever come out.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
11th straight wipe on the heart at A6. I'm never seeming to find enough block on the turns I need it.

This time I was flying through, perfecting elites and doing lots of upgrades and trying my best to get ready for act 4 (piercing wail, card drawing/retain, leg sweeps, weak potions, double artifact potions). I got to the ShieldSpear at a full 71/71 health, took 59 damage then wiped on the heart's third turn.

What am I missing? I feel like I'm just one small revelation from consistently beating Act 4, since my thoughts are all logical, my decks turn out the way I want them to, and I usually get through Act 3 pretty easily at A6. I'm just missing something.

Would appreciate any and all feedback

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Seksiness posted:

Oh God no

:rip: to my life

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Seksiness posted:

gently caress yeah!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Seksiness posted:

Will it be moddable?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

I wonder what took so long, I didn't think that would ever come out.

Every time they were asked about it on reddit, they said the delay was coming from the publisher...

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
12 straight heart wipes on A6

Feels like all this deck needed was a bit more scaling: A couple more focus orbs/potions or something to increase orb slots. I got the heart under 200, though so at least I'm feeling like there was progress. And, hey, I'm re-clearing the ascension almost every time,

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
You know, I bet I could get myself over quickest if I just watched a few of the best streamers fight the heart. I watch streams but by the time the heart rolls around I'm kinda not paying too much attention over exactly what is doing the heavy lifting.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

12 straight heart wipes on A6

Feels like all this deck needed was a bit more scaling: A couple more focus orbs/potions or something to increase orb slots. I got the heart under 200, though so at least I'm feeling like there was progress. And, hey, I'm re-clearing the ascension almost every time,

You posted the wrong image. But yeah :orb:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Various Meat Products posted:

You posted the wrong image. But yeah :orb:

oops!

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

You know, I bet I could get myself over quickest if I just watched a few of the best streamers fight the heart. I watch streams but by the time the heart rolls around I'm kinda not paying too much attention over exactly what is doing the heavy lifting.

You could pull up the VODs and just skip to Heart fights. Minmaxing watching other people play! :stonks:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Stack? More like bad. As in it's not a great card. :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Are you consistently taking 50+ damage from the elite fight? That one can actually be a real problem, you need a good plan for how you're going to beat drawing two burns on turn 2.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Your deck seems too slow to get online especially vs the spear and shield.

Darkness only works in smaller and more focused decks imo, so don't take those unless you're really going all in on dark orbs. I almost never take it. Also, dramatic entrance and impatience are just bad, I've never found a use for them.

Having 2 statics should be avoided, doubly so if you already have bronze scales. You generally don't want to rely on intentionally taking hits at all unless you're playing ironclad (and especially with 3 buffers).

Don't take coolheaded unless you plan on upgrading it, same with stack. Try to upgrade dualcast and zap early if you can.

Just my 2¢. (I am not some pro streamer but I have cleared a20 with every character.)

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Impatience can be really good in some decks, but I'd probably want it to be less than say, 20% attacks. I most often find a use for it on Silent with strongly committed block/poison builds. I think Defect can use it occasionally, but I do think the posted deck has too much attack density for it. Don't think I've ever had it be useful on Ironclad or Watcher.

I've never seen Dramatic Entrance be good. I can't see a way that it wouldn't fall off terribly in the game's final fights.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

drat horror queefs posted:

Darkness only works in smaller and more focused decks imo, so don't take those unless you're really going all in on dark orbs. I almost never take it. Also, dramatic entrance and impatience are just bad, I've never found a use for them.

Having 2 statics should be avoided, doubly so if you already have bronze scales. You generally don't want to rely on intentionally taking hits at all unless you're playing ironclad (and especially with 3 buffers).

Don't take coolheaded unless you plan on upgrading it, same with stack. Try to upgrade dualcast and zap early if you can.

Just my 2¢. (I am not some pro streamer but I have cleared a20 with every character.)

:wrong:

Static Discharge is great in general. Yeah obviously your strategy shouldn't revolve around taking hits, but as you climb ascensions, you're gonna take some hits. And a card that gives better value the more you struggle is a nice insurance policy. It can also be used defensively if, for instance, you have some frost orbs up and the multi attack from the heart evokes them mid-attack. SD is a great card against the heart, with the caveat that it does interfere with dark orb scaling, which seems to be the real problem. Dark orb-oriented decks want to be able to set up some frost for defense and let the dark orbs cook for a while, preferably with some Loops, and decks that do generic lightning orb stuff generally want to keep turning over all their orbs rapidly. This deck seems torn between the two ends of the spectrum. And in general it just doesn't have enough frost orb generation. In the late game it's perfectly reasonable to take every Coolheaded you see, yes even un-upgraded ones. Stack is also a great late game card... not sure why the +3 block upgrade is mandatory. Don't upgrade Dualcast, though, spend your upgrades on cards you actually want to play every time you draw them.

Also I just watched a run with Dramatic Entrance, Akabekko and Bag of Marbles that did huge damage on turn 1. Truly, every card in this game has a use case.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Really appreciate all the feedback. Got Impatient and dramatic entrance from an astroglide (the other choices were tiny house and that energy relic where you can't see boss intents). In general, if you see a really bad card that's also been upgraded, it's because of astroglide. Imaptience actually turned out really well since the deck was primarily :justorb: it let me see a bunch more cards before deciding.

drat horror queefs posted:

I actually finished with all my health after spear and shield. The bites made up for any damage. Also, darkness plus the 2 loop+ plus the statics were about 90% of the ~700 damage I dealt to the heart. Please keep in mind a lot of these cards I'm picking specifically and solely for the heart because I clear the rest of the acts most of the time. So if static+ or looped darkness is not good against the heart, then tell me asap because I've been frontloading it jsut for the heart.

Unless you were talking about my silent run, in which case yes I really did take a surprising number of damage.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Are you consistently taking 50+ damage from the elite fight? That one can actually be a real problem, you need a good plan for how you're going to beat drawing two burns on turn 2.

No, that one Silent run I most recently posted was a rare outlier. I'm usually rolling into the heart with <20 damage.

I'm currently uploading a daily stream I did with my own bonus rules (2 shots of 50 proof before the run, one after act 1, one every time I scumsave). That is hopefully a fun watch.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 28, 2021

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

This deck is kind of all over the place imho. Tons of darkness combined with electric orb generation combined with.. a physical build? You're always gonna have a hybrid deck going into the heart fight because what you need to survive in act 1 isn't what you need in act 3, but with 41 cards you need a way to get what you need whenever you can, and this deck only has seek+(great), impatience(can be ok when it plays), and compile driver (requires other stuff to come into play first).

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

This deck is kind of all over the place imho. Tons of darkness combined with electric orb generation combined with.. a physical build? You're always gonna have a hybrid deck going into the heart fight because what you need to survive in act 1 isn't what you need in act 3, but with 41 cards you need a way to get what you need whenever you can, and this deck only has seek+(great), impatience(can be ok when it plays), and compile driver (requires other stuff to come into play first).

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure what about this signals physical build, though? Nearly every single attack is about the orbs or about the hp, besides the dramatic entrance which happened because astrolabe and the jax which I'm not sure why I picked, seemed free? 41 is too high, and I remember halfway through act 3 thinking "okay I have low 30s cards, that's about where I want to be" so something def went odd there.

If you could cut 6 cards (besides the dramatic entrance and imatience) what would they be?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure what about this signals physical build, though? Nearly every single attack is about the orbs or about the hp, besides the dramatic entrance which happened because astrolabe and the jax which I'm not sure why I picked, seemed free? 41 is too high, and I remember halfway through act 3 thinking "okay I have low 30s cards, that's about where I want to be" so something def went odd there.

If you could cut 6 cards (besides the dramatic entrance and imatience) what would they be?

JAX, Bites, Dramatic Entrance (remember innate costs a card draw turn one), and thunder strike. JAX, the bites, and 2 go for the eyes (which i actually agree with with a deck as big as yours, fwiw) are pointing to being built physically.

I actually don't think a deck that's as big as 41 is AUTOMATICALLY bad, but remember when you add cards, you add them to increase the total value of the deck. Early on that means attacks, act 2 that means whatever the gently caress synergy you've started to find by the end of act 1, and act 3 is all about shoring that up. Obviously RNG can shift elements of those later but you get the gist.

Bites can be free, if you're consistently playing every bite (and have blood vial, otherwise it costs max hp, which is very expensive); if you can't guarantee you'll heal to full at the end of most fights using the bites, they're generally not worth it.

When did you start leaning hard into orbs? I see you only picked up Defrag in terms of focus, which can be RNG.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Here's my daily run. On the one hand, I feel I could've done better (I ended up with 1995 gold, lol, 5 short of another 25 points. I also didn't plug in my mic so the audio isn't great at intelligibility). On the other hand I am still currently 32nd out of ~900 runs and I could still top 100 (based on experience I bet I end up around 120s). Most importantly I got drrrrrunk.

Hoping others do the fun daily run and share their experiences. I didn't draft enough block and also didn't spend much time planning my act 3 run (could've scored another elite for another 25-50 points and probably made that extra gold). On the other hand, starting with a draft deck is like entering a swimming competition with a motorboat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfWeoe9xZ8

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 28, 2021

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Did a run on this seed and these are my results:

Notes:
You went Seek over Echo Form on Act 1 Boss - Seek is a great card, but Mummified Hand on the first chest should've weighed it really heavily for the Echo Form there. There was also an early capacitor.

Getting Mummified Hand on Defect should usually be a free win because Heat Sinks + Powers can scale you up ridiculously fast, I even took the dead branch I would've skipped normally to see what kind of crazy cards Core Surge would give me.

Edit: Thought I took the exact same path as you did through Act 1 and I noticed it was slightly different so card choices might not line up - overall point should be the same though, Mummified Hand is great, lean into it, draft better scaling.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 28, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Here's my daily run. On the one hand, I feel I could've done better (I ended up with 1995 gold, lol, 5 short of another 25 points. I also didn't plug in my mic so the audio isn't great at intelligibility). On the other hand I am still currently 32nd out of ~900 runs and I could still top 100 (based on experience I bet I end up around 120s). Most importantly I got drrrrrunk.

Hoping others do the fun daily run and share their experiences. I didn't draft enough block and also didn't spend much time planning my act 3 run (could've scored another elite for another 25-50 points and probably made that extra gold). On the other hand, starting with a draft deck is like entering a swimming competition with a motorboat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfWeoe9xZ8

if you give me purple cards i will always make some kind of dumbass dime store watcher deck, guaranteed

lol I just realized that I bought calipers at the last shop, if I'd remembered that I probably could have gotten beyond perfect on time eater. OH WELL

also I literally used frozen eye once but that was more or less on purpose

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
This deck was a monster until I met the Heart. Vs. Heart I gambled one Apparition away and the other two sat in the bottom half of my deck as I caught the big solo hit on turn two and didn't get the sustain to survive turn 5. Had 96 health even after taking the Apparitions.

It was super fun to make a massive 3 energy deck work at Ascension 20 though. I pulled offering from Neow and from the first boss I picked Pandora's Box against Bird Cage and Broken Crown. Then I had a good card draw/energy engine going with Unceasing Top/Seeing Red/Battle Trance, so I had to take Bad Blood over Mark of Pain/The Bell, and I picked up Corruption off of the Collector.

Then I picked up Mummified hand and could just spam cards. I beat Time Eater, Donu/Deca, and Shield and Spear with full health, but that big hit on turn two and the trash that Heart feeds the deck killed me.

Squashy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 28, 2021

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Calipers would be good here.

Fun rear end deck.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

WarpedLichen posted:

Did a run on this seed and these are my results:

Notes:
You went Seek over Echo Form on Act 1 Boss - Seek is a great card, but Mummified Hand on the first chest should've weighed it really heavily for the Echo Form there. There was also an early capacitor.

I really appreciate you running this seed. However, uhhh...

In the future I should probably preface requests for critique by mentioning I have beaten every ascension with every character, and now I'm just going for a heart kill ladder. That way people won't assume I'm doing things like picking dramatic entrance or picking seek over windmill slamming echo form. Whatever is keeping me from the heart is more subtle than something big like not realizing the value of scaling: I'm rolling up to the heart 80% of the time, lately, and I once beat the heart on A20. So I just need to figure out why I can't get over this heart hump.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 28, 2021

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

In the future I should probably preface requests for critique by mentioning I have beaten every ascension with every character, and now I'm just going for a heart kill ladder. That way people won't assume I'm doing things like picking dramatic entrance or picking seek over windmill slamming echo form. Whatever is keeping me from the heart is more subtle than something big like not realizing the value of scaling: I'm rolling up to the heart 80% of the time, lately, and I once beat the heart on A20. So I just need to figure out why I can't get over this heart hump.

Yeah, that's my bad because I messed up when I was pathing, I should've matched you exactly.

Heart is just a different set of pick priorities for that specific fight and the changes are fairly subtle. I'll try again and match your exact path next time.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Still relatively new to the game, but slowly making my way up the Ascension ladder. Just had the most fun silent build I've seen yet entirely due to getting a pandora's box for my relic trade in. Got super lucky vs. the Heart and picked up Nightmare on my first draw, so I was able to get +5 block per card played by duplicating After Image. With Shuriken/Kunai/Fan I was able to get 50+ block and do 30+ damage per shiv every turn.

For whatever reason, I always seems to have my easiest runs when I get pandora's box despite bad looking starting decks (e.g. I had one Survivor card and Reflex out the gate). Helps a lot to make me think outside the box though, and it's made me try cards I would never pick normally, like a 100% exhaust build on Ironclad. I definitely have a problem with grabbing every single direct damage card I can come across when I'm playing a more 'normal' run.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Box is definitely one of the strongest boss swaps. Yeah, usually you have some kind of serious hole to patch in the deck at the start (usually you need more block), but strikes and defends suck, and you get to immediately have some kind of compelling direction for your deck most of the time. And Box swaps are particularly strong on Silent because she has the most total strikes + defends. 10 transformations!

If you want to play with Pandora's Box starts some more, there's a mod that filters for seeds that match your desired parameters, such as seeds where Neow will swap your starting relic for Pandora's Box. It can be a great way to learn crazy synergies.

Here's the link to the mod: https://github.com/casey-c/FilterTheSpire

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

WarpedLichen posted:

Yeah, that's my bad because I messed up when I was pathing, I should've matched you exactly.

Heart is just a different set of pick priorities for that specific fight and the changes are fairly subtle. I'll try again and match your exact path next time.

I really appreciate that. Thanks a bunch!

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

The most recent upgrade to my personal playstyle is shop management. I've always been too thirsty trying to maximize value from a single shop rather than saving my money to wait for cards/relics that actually complement my deck.

And I'm trying harder to path so that I only hit a shop Act 1 after I've picked up enough gold to maybe get a good relic or patch holes in my deck leading into the 2nd/3rd elite or bossfight

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Yoshi Wins posted:

Box is definitely one of the strongest boss swaps. Yeah, usually you have some kind of serious hole to patch in the deck at the start (usually you need more block), but strikes and defends suck, and you get to immediately have some kind of compelling direction for your deck most of the time. And Box swaps are particularly strong on Silent because she has the most total strikes + defends. 10 transformations!

If you want to play with Pandora's Box starts some more, there's a mod that filters for seeds that match your desired parameters, such as seeds where Neow will swap your starting relic for Pandora's Box. It can be a great way to learn crazy synergies.

Here's the link to the mod: https://github.com/casey-c/FilterTheSpire

Appreciate the mod, I'll check it out. I'm still in the exploring phase right now, and I think forcing cards into my deck is the best way to see what works with what

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Primetime posted:

Helps a lot to make me think outside the box though, and it's made me try cards I would never pick normally, like a 100% exhaust build on Ironclad.

Exhaust synergy is one of the strongest things you can do on Ironclad.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

Won A19 for the first time with Silent. I was holding on by a thread the whole time, then got bailed out at the last minute. Managed to make it to the last ? with full health and picked up Mind Bloom just before fighting the Awakened One. I got forced into Snecko Eye with almost all 0/1 cards (except for a Bouncing Flask). In Act 1 I picked up Girya, so after Snecko I knew I either had to get that +3 Strength or die trying to maximize the value of Skewer/Blade Dance/Dagger Spray. It also meant that I couldn't take 1-cost poisons, so a poison deck was out of the question.

I got lucky as gently caress and perfected Reptomancer...really thought I was a goner, but Incense Burner saved me on the key turn. Malaise/Skewer plus boatloads of card draw held me over. I leaned heavy on powers just so I could activate whatever powers came up cheap. Picked up Wraith Form off of Automaton and Duplicated it on turn 45. I survived the first phase of Awakened One with Defense/Malaise without using any powers, then spammed all 8 of my powers once he revived. This janky deck had no business approaching the heart but it was still an exciting run.

A19 Seed: 4IDKFYJ4A82NV if anyone wants to run it and make a deck that's not janky bullshit (I replaced starter relic with Fusion Hammer if you want to repeat the opening)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Did the Silent seed.

By the second act I was very aware of the lack of block in this deck against the heart, so I had to come up with a plan. I took Pyramid because I was going for Piercing Wails. I didn't buy the early well laid plans which might have affected this decision. I think I still would've taken Pyramid every time though.

I'm not sure that would've been enough but luckily the game came through with Torii and Bandages near the end. Torii saved one Piercing Wail and then 20 damage shivs did the rest.

I think the deck was really strong near the end and I probably would've prioritized more hallway fights to see more block cards/engines. I think 1x After Image could've turned this into a very comfortable win.

Things I think I realized after this run:
4 energy boss relic swap on Silent early doesn't help nearly as much as Ironclad - the Silent starting deck has no impactful 2 energy cards and it sucks to just play an extra strike or defend.

Blade Dance is kind of the nuts after the buff, 4 shivs is a ton of shivs.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 29, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

WarpedLichen posted:

Blade Dance is kind of the nuts after the buff, 4 shivs is a ton of shivs.

Kunai and Shuriken were already great with Silent, and un-upgraded Blade Dance being an insta-proc is really fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WarpedLichen posted:

Things I think I realized after this run:
4 energy boss relic swap on Silent early doesn't help nearly as much as Ironclad - the Silent starting deck has no impactful 2 energy cards and it sucks to just play an extra strike or defend.

It doesn't suck half as much as you think. Being able to play an extra Defend for Silent is big, it lets her get in more chip damage while still full blocking. You can also pick expensive but important cards like Bouncing Flask with more confidence.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Various Meat Products posted:

Exhaust synergy is one of the strongest things you can do on Ironclad.

Is there an "exhaust for dummies" guide somewhere? Every time I try to use it I die horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Khizan posted:

Is there an "exhaust for dummies" guide somewhere? Every time I try to use it I die horribly.

Are you picking Corruption and/or Feel No Pain and/or Dark Embrace whenever they're offered? The rest will usually be pretty straightforward if you have at least 2 of those (though Corruption and FNP are also very good on their own). The thing is that Ironclad has so many Exhaust cards already and it's already such a good effect that just a few cards that make your Exhaust better really improve your deck.