Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Is this the boomer version of cum shitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Stereotype posted:

so there are 25.6m shares of GME apparently, which means at $300 a share the market cap is $7.7B. That's not even that much! Apparently this dipship hedgefund that started this all was worth twice that, and GameStop employs something like 60k people and has hundreds of stores all over the nation.

How have hedge funds lost $70B? Looking at just the number of shares this should have just been a $7B windfall for a bunch of internet posters, but now it looks like it is going to drag down the entire financial system.

When you loan the stocks you loaned to a guy who loans the stocks he loaned from you to some other guy

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

dogecoin comes back about once every two years, as a joke

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nothus posted:

I love that being locked out of meme stocks made all that money spill into dumb poo poo like silver plays and 3rd rate crypto

The best is that at first they kept locking whichever stock the meme money moved to which resulted in like American Airlines being halted. We've somehow gone from what should have been the failure and redistribution of a single hedge fund that made a really bad bet out to the masses into the concept of stocks themselves being destroyed.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Shep Smith doing his part to get more people onboard. God bless him.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Not much what's updoge with you

Mods?

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Jesus this is the wildest ride I had 80k swing today I'm almost back up 20k AH on GME this is some poo poo going down tommorow

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

alarumklok posted:

what the gently caress is doge

the chief magistrate of the Most Serene Republic of Venice

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Stereotype posted:

so there are 25.6m shares of GME apparently, which means at $300 a share the market cap is $7.7B. That's not even that much! Apparently this dipship hedgefund that started this all was worth twice that, and GameStop employs something like 60k people and has hundreds of stores all over the nation.

How have hedge funds lost $70B? Looking at just the number of shares this should have just been a $7B windfall for a bunch of internet posters, but now it looks like it is going to drag down the entire financial system.

leverage. they took out loans for a bet with infinite risk (losses arent capped with shorting). their losses arent linear down to 0, they're exponential and can go very very negative

as for how these people got billions of dollars in low interest loans for their stupid stupid bet :capitalism:

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
this notably more positive spin from cnbc in the last couple of hours is making me nervous. like they've figured out the optimal way to make money from this and screw everyone over and it's time to cash out. idk

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bearjew posted:

this post has been reported by taintrunner

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Farm Frenzy posted:

dogecoin comes back about once every two years, as a joke

It's gone up 1000% in the past month. To a whopping like 4.5 cents.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
all stocks should be in the form of cryptocurrencies so they can be appropriately traced and verified. all these loving indistinguishable stocks playing havoc with the world.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Lol my room-mate from like 3 years ago lost all his money on dogecoin while attempting to get everyone else into it.

Time is a flat circle, don't buy crypto

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Admiral Ray posted:

all stocks should be in the form of cryptocurrencies so they can be appropriately traced and verified. all these loving indistinguishable stocks playing havoc with the world.

what if there were no stocks

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Holy poo poo Marjorie Taylor Greene is a loving monster for going after Hogg like that.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Stereotype posted:

losses on a short squeeze are exponential the closer your short position was to zero relative to how high the current stock price is

$6 short for a $240 stock is a 4000% loss while a $120 short on a $240 stock is only a 200% loss

combine that with the 140% short stake at that almost zero price and math just exponentially hosed them by an exponential factor

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Yossarian-22 posted:

I've made $1000 on doge today lmao

Yeah this is nuts lmao. And i just bought earlier this week.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

witchy posted:

leverage. they took out loans for a bet with infinite risk (losses arent capped with shorting). their losses arent linear down to 0, they're exponential and can go very very negative

thought this said infinite isk and I was reading the eve thread and this still made complete sense

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jiro posted:

Holy poo poo Marjorie Taylor Greene is a loving monster for going after Hogg like that.

agreed OP

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

twoday posted:

what if there were no stocks

then how can workers collectively own the means of production? from each brokerage firm to each worker, just as Kurl Marps said.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

If I want to get in on the class war, what platforms are no-fees (or whatever particular advantage it was that made this accessible to the little people) like Robinhood but not shadily defending hedge funds?

A friend says Vanguard is no-fee, but I know there are different kinds of fees and I'm not sure if he comprehensively knows what he's talking about.

does it matter? the fees are like a buck or something per trade and youre trying to get in on something thats supposedly a rocketship.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bearjew posted:

this post has been reported by taintrunner

Lmao

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Abongination posted:

Lol my room-mate from like 3 years ago lost all his money on dogecoin while attempting to get everyone else into it.

Time is a flat circle, don't buy crypto

How fast does the bottom fall out generally?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Xaris posted:

RH is el passe and burning itself up.

How many days does it take to establish a vanguard account? I started a Schwab but read that it took 3 days.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i would like to work for the SEC because i would actually go after poo poo and have to get reigned in like mcgarnagle

"you did a good job busting up robinhood cumshitter. but did you have to break so much furniture?"

"you tell me chief, im sure you had a good view from your zoom meeting"

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
man i just want a guaranteed fast safe reliable method to make money but im not rich enough to do that

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Vox Nihili posted:

Jesus, Tainty's view on the George Floyd protests is incredibly telling.

He's right also you just wanna own him because brie owned you.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

shyduck posted:

anybody else's Robinhood buying power just not coming in

Yeah, their servers are absolutely hosed. Buy orders aren’t happening either.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i dont need the gun, i just like to wave it around while im demanding the internal corporate memos

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Free Taintrunner. Everyone else gets to make a bad post every once in a while, without a probe

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
chase called our office cumshitter. they said you left your gun on the toilet paper dispenser in their bathrooms. they also asked that you stop using the handicap stall

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

CodeJanitor posted:

man i just want a guaranteed fast safe reliable method to make money but im not rich enough to do that

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm so glad that after 2008 we made a ton of rules to ensure that no one could turn a $7.7B loss into an $infinity loss that consumes the entire nation. oh wait whoops

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

cumshitter posted:

chase called our office cumshitter. they said you left your gun on the toilet paper dispenser in their bathrooms. they also asked that you stop using the handicap stall

The Wire but it’s Schnorkles and cumshitter instead of Bunk and McNulty

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The return of cumshitter marks the official beginning of night crew. Day crew, begone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Happy Thread posted:

Free Taintrunner. Everyone else gets to make a bad post every once in a while, without a probe

sorry he hit the bad post breaker and traintrunning trading has been halted