Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

"Society is much like fruit. Once it matures, it is inevitable that it will eventually rot. As the economy grows, the private sector stagnates as elders and bureaucrats become more and more powerful... As time passes, this power becomes the status quo, and crushes the seeds of any possible reformation... such a sad trend."

Which anime is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Shogunner posted:

goons have always been a salty bunch

Its because we eat a diet high in prepared frozen meals.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

Don't get me wrong, I've been laughing my rear end off for the last two days. It just sucks that the fucks at wsb managed to spin this scheme as some kind of act of class warfare and that social media is eating it up.

What's gonna happen is that the hedge fund company is gonna declare bankruptcy, skip out on most of the debt and the workers are gonna go on to new jobs and don't give a gently caress about this in a couple of months. Meanwhile, hundred of thousands(or even millions)of regular people will lose their money/life saving in this dumb ponzi scheme. Some of them old people who gonna end up in the streets. What a great cause to rally behind.
it accomplished exactly the thing it set out to do so it doesnt make sense to immediately conclude that it could not possibly have been about that thing and should not be viewed in that context

the hit to the value of the hedge merely set it back to where it was mere months ago and the "little guy" consequences is pretty much just fiction. those are fox news talking points

these billionaire traders (in particular in a company founded by a guy fleeing an insider trading scandal) were trying to make a buck by dealing the killing blow to vulnerable businesses trying to weather the pandemic and people rightly found that vile. and not only were their actions predatory but in such utterly reckless gambling as this whole thing has exposed

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Yeah this is how it looks to me too. Whoever said itt 'look around the poker table and if you can't figure out who the mark is it's you' is dead on.

If all the shorting is completely gone then why limit trades?

Wallstreets has never given a gently caress about the average Joe losing a dime that’s literally how they make their money.

Now I’m supposed to believe that they are limiting trades to protect me from losing my money?

I’ll believe they aren’t shorting the stock when I have a piece of paper that says it’s true.

They were really loving quick yesterday to come out and say that they’re not shorting the stock anymore seems to me like hedge funds don’t normally come out and say what the gently caress they’re doing.

So that the hedgefund is taking time out if it’s trading day to talk to average Joe about what it’s investing in just for the good of average Joe?

lol hold

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What would happen if you shorted a bunch of stocks and then put in as normal a ton of money to make them go up. Like if this whole debacle was done by one bored rich guy. Would they come out with more money somehow?

I don’t really understand it. It feels like the market cap is currently more than people have put in so if they pulled it out how can there be more money?

I’ve tried three times to word this better but I’m thick as gently caress. Sorry.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

spunkshui posted:

Wallstreets has never given a gently caress about the average Joe losing a dime that’s literally how they make their money.

Now I’m supposed to believe that they are limiting trades to protect me from losing my money?

I’ll believe they aren’t shorting the stock when I have a piece of paper that says it’s true.

They were really loving quick yesterday to come out and say that they’re not shorting the stock anymore seems to me like hedge funds don’t normally come out and say what the gently caress they’re doing.

So that the hedgefund is taking time out if it’s trading day to talk to average Joe about what it’s investing in just for the good of average Joe?

lol hold

Yeah it's this, if they were really out why even comment on it, these fuckers would just watch it go down in flames silently if they actually were out.

Polycalypse
Aug 7, 2014

spunkshui posted:

lol hold

they're not exactly shorting stock, they're doing something called naked shorting, which is highly illegal and passing the same stocks around to try and create an illusion of price drop/drop in demand to manipulate retail investors into selling. Currently there's a weird disproportion of how many stocks may be shorted, up to possibly even more than 50-70 million 'imaginary' shares that don't actually exist. The entire situation is quite fascinating.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Super Waffle posted:

Jumped on the AMC bandwagon for a couple hundred bucks, lets see how fast I lose it!

Honestly AMC might not be such a bad stock even without the meme. I have a suspicion that people are going to be flocking to movie theaters once it's safe to do so. Yeah, people like to say that there's no point going to the big screen when you can watch it on your HD TV at home with surround sound but people are getting sick of their living rooms. I think I'm going to wait for this bubble to pop and buy a few shares.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Honestly AMC might not be such a bad stock even without the meme. I have a suspicion that people are going to be flocking to movie theaters once it's safe to do so. Yeah, people like to say that there's no point going to the big screen when you can watch it on your HD TV at home with surround sound but people are getting sick of their living rooms. I think I'm going to wait for this bubble to pop and buy a few shares.

When you think about it, rich assholes dont even use the theater common folk use.

They see live broadway shows and use home theaters.

No wonder they don’t give a gently caress if AMC dies so they shorted it into oblivion.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Meme Poker Party posted:

Boku no Pico

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

I don’t really understand it. It feels like the market cap is currently more than people have put in so if they pulled it out how can there be more money?

when you sell someone has to actually want to buy it. if they try to sell the shares without a buyer at that price, it won't sell. so they have to drop their price until someone buys it. you're right that market capitalization is pretty meaningless, especially for a stock that has gone up like 500% in a month.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Victis posted:

Hey guess what markets are back up and AMC isn’t down at all. I like how this exposes how goons don’t actually know how stock gambling works.

It does expose that but not in the way you think it does lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

gary oldmans diary posted:

it accomplished exactly the thing it set out to do so it doesnt make sense to immediately conclude that it could not possibly have been about that thing and should not be viewed in that context

the hit to the value of the hedge merely set it back to where it was mere months ago and the "little guy" consequences is pretty much just fiction. those are fox news talking points

these billionaire traders (in particular in a company founded by a guy fleeing an insider trading scandal) were trying to make a buck by dealing the killing blow to vulnerable businesses trying to weather the pandemic and people rightly found that vile. and not only were their actions predatory but in such utterly reckless gambling as this whole thing has exposed

As of right now there is no short squeeze and it has accomplished absolutely nothing except for the regular pump and dump ponzi goal of enriching a couple of people who got in early at the expense of the majority. And lmao if you think this is the one scam that's not gonna end up with a shitload of bag holders. The stock market is a zero sum game. Everyone who bought an almost worthless $3 garbage stock for $420.69 is gonna have to find an even dumber victim and become the predator or write it off as a loss.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I think I am bigly screwed. I forgot the log in details to my E Trade account (they weren't going to let me trade till the 3rd but STILL CHECKING) and the emails aren't coming to my account to reset stuff, now I am on hold with CS. Hope they are just swamped, but a bunch of brokerages are. They can't just steal my money, right?!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrong thread.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

What stock I gotta buy to make a buttload of money quickly

If I don't have the ten grand by sundown this bookie's gonna break my legs

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Meme Poker Party posted:

My Karl Marx-chan Can't Be This Cute

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Why not?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sir John Falstaff posted:

My understanding is that Dogecoin differs from other coins in that it has a picture of a dog. This fundamental value proposition is currently causing its price to skyrocket.

The difference with dogecoin is that goons made it, as a joke. This is how you know it's overvalued and crashing into the ground at any moment

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

As of right now there is no short squeeze and it has accomplished absolutely nothing except for the regular pump and dump ponzi goal of enriching a couple of people who got in early at the expense of the majority. And lmao if you think this is the one scam that's not gonna end up with a shitload of bag holders. The stock market is a zero sum game. Everyone who bought an almost worthless $3 garbage stock for $420.69 is gonna have to find an even dumber victim and become the predator or write it off as a loss.

It absolutely did accomplish something to the original hedge fund, they had to sell off a chunk of themselves to deal with the margin calls.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

GABA ghoul posted:

The stock market is a zero sum game.

Genuinely, stop talking out of your rear end

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The point is that the richies are finally losing and that is something we should all be happy about.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

What stock I gotta buy to make a buttload of money quickly

If I don't have the ten grand by sundown this bookie's gonna break my legs

i hear blockbuster is the next big one

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?

GABA ghoul posted:

Unlike bitcoin, dogecoin has no maximum of coins that can be mined. So this literally useless meme asset that has absolutely no intrinsic value or application will constantly get even more worthless for all eternity

The inflation rate IS high, at around 5% right now, but that number will start to decrease and resemble the 10 year USD inflation average in two more years.

quote:

there is a static amount of 5.256 billion coins generated each year. The total amount will increase each year, but the amount generated, that being 5.256 billion, is static. This means that the inflation rate actually constantly decreases each and every year. It will eventually have less inflation than even fiat and will continue to decrease. basically the total number of coins will continue to increase but the amount generated per year will always be the same. For example. (5 divided by 100 = .05%) next year (5 divided by 105 = .047%) next next year (5 divided by 110 = .045%) As you can see, the inflation rate actually decreases each and every year. Not only that constant dogecoins are lost as people forget passwords or computer failures. Our price is relatively stable and our network is stable due to not having a hard cap on coins and we actually have a soft deflationary model.

I'm not giving anyone any type of financial advice, though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The point is that the richies are finally losing and that is something we should all be happy about.

I'm pretty sure that's not true but okay!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

pnumoman posted:

Genuinely, stop talking out of your rear end

lmao

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not true but okay!

Assuming they don't get bailed out of course.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Mr_Companie posted:

The inflation rate IS high, at around 5% right now, but that number will start to decrease and resemble the 10 year USD inflation average in two more years.

I'm not giving anyone any type of financial advice, though.

Are you telling me to sell my car and buy more doge?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Assuming they don't get bailed out of course.

Ah, so they'll be fine

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

uhhhhh

quote:

Melvin Capital closed out its short position in GameStop on Tuesday afternoon after taking a huge loss, the hedge fund's manager told CNBC.
CNBC could not confirm the amount of losses the firm took on the short position. Citadel and Point72 have infused close to $3 billion into Melvin Capital to shore up its finances.
accomplishing the exact thing it set out to do from its stated purpose and "absolutely nothing" dont really seem to mesh

as a zero sum game where do you think those billions of losses hedges incurred went to?
but some people surely did sell. what we can infer about the organizers intentions from that amounts to exactly diddly
you keep calling it a ponzi over and over. a ponzi scheme is specifically where the lured participants are told they will get rich. this was not that. people continuing to buy "to the moon" has nothing to do with the designed short squeeze

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

GABA ghoul posted:

What's gonna happen is that the hedge fund company is gonna declare bankruptcy, skip out on most of the debt and the workers are gonna go on to new jobs and don't give a gently caress about this in a couple of months. Meanwhile, hundred of thousands(or even millions)of regular people will lose their money/life saving in this dumb ponzi scheme. Some of them old people who gonna end up in the streets. What a great cause to rally behind.

If Melvin can't cover the loss, their broker has to cover it (there were rumours a couple of days ago that Melvin's position in Alibaba had been liquidated). If their broker can't cover it, then it has to be covered by the insurers/banks.

wsb have been very clear from the outset that this is about screwing over Melvin (and the hedge funds who have already come to their rescue) and not about making money.
Up until the trading apps started requiring people to buy whole shares, many people were throwing less than $100 at this purely to spite Wall Street and they were happy to lose that money.

GME was a perfect storm of circumstances. The other meme stocks are not at the moment.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
STOP loving AROUND E*TRADE (LOVE THE ASTERICK LOL). Let me trade, been on hold over 30 minutes now, stop saving me from myself AMC keeps getting cheaper while I wait for your 'emails' or 'answer'. RH wouldn't even let me put money in so this is all I've got!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Consider yourself saved

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if more shares were borrowed than exist and the hedge funds get liquidated or bailed out, how do those who lent out the stocks get their valuable gamestop stock investments back?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

hawowanlawow posted:

if more shares were borrowed than exist and the hedge funds get liquidated or bailed out, how do those who lent out the stocks get their valuable gamestop stock investments back?

As far as we know, they were naked short selling so they never borrowed the shares in the first place.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Lolie posted:

As far as we know, they were naked short selling so they never borrowed the shares in the first place.

oh nice

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Bape Culture posted:

What would happen if you shorted a bunch of stocks and then put in as normal a ton of money to make them go up. Like if this whole debacle was done by one bored rich guy. Would they come out with more money somehow?

I’ve tried three times to word this better but I’m thick as gently caress. Sorry.

Market cap is just stock in existence * latest price. If there is 10000 shares of stock and you buy 1000 for $1 then sell 1 for $10 and another for $50, everyone says “holy crap those shares are selling for $50 now” and your shares are now “worth” about $50000 and the market cap goes from $10000 to $500000 instantly.

Of course if you tried to sell your 9998 remaining shares, that would probably tank the price and you would get nowhere near that amount. So the market cap value is only real if there is a lot of buyers at that price, rather than a quick spike on one day of trading.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
still 4-5 days until the bad company verifies my account and im already putting on white buttons ups and a tie and im yelling in my room and point at my monitors and poo poo, so this is what capitalism is all about, huh?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

teardrop posted:

Market cap is just stock in existence * latest price. If there is 10000 shares of stock and you buy 1000 for $1 then sell 1 for $10 and another for $50, everyone says “holy crap those shares are selling for $50 now” and your shares are now “worth” about $50000 and the market cap goes from $10000 to $500000 instantly.

Of course if you tried to sell your 9998 remaining shares, that would probably tank the price and you would get nowhere near that amount. So the market cap value is only real if there is a lot of buyers at that price, rather than a quick spike on one day of trading.

Nice answer. Can you explain how AMC was able to pay off debt when the stock price went up? What did they do, sell stock for debt or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Edit: ^^^ IDK, I only know a little about this stuff

hawowanlawow posted:

I think if person A sells a short to B, then B sells a short to C, that counts as 200% shorted. The excess would be people who get the stock but then have to turn it over to someone else rather than keeping it

teardrop fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 29, 2021