Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Xeras posted:

Can you post pob?

Sure thing. I actually had the dps wrong too, as pob doesn't automatically select the cluster jewels when you import. If the cwdt wave of conviction hits, flasked up dps is around 11m.

Here is the PoB for my mana-stacking BV Hierophant. I can't take credit for the idea. I totally ripped it off another guy I found on poe.ninja.
https://pastebin.com/AmNvUepF

It is honestly pretty unique for a CI build. Mana is everything. 40% mana as ES, and with so much mana, arcane cloak more than doubles your damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Suburban Dad posted:

Hi thread. I'm a longtime Diablo player trying out POE (for like the 3rd time) and am hoping to get some advice or maybe somebody to do a quick once over on my Deadeye build. I looked at some guides but didn't really follow one to the letter and still don't understand the bazillion mechanics in this game. I'm playing SSF and have pretty garbage gear, but I just finished the campaign and have done a couple maps. I do ok clearing trash but and don't die often except during rituals when there's a ton of poo poo in a small area. Not sure if my damage is too low (yes) or my defense sucks (yes). I'm using some low level uniques because that's what's good in diablo and so I'm broke brained for this game. :v: Not sure what I should be looking for besides sockets, resists, life, and elemental damage really.

Anywhere on the tree that's hosed up and points could be better used elsewhere? I don't have a good single target skill picked out either so I'd love suggestions there as well. I'm using Ice Shot (mainly because I found 2 of the ice shot jewels, haha) to freeze and slow clearing trash so trying to get highish crit if I can. Hopefully that's not a terrible idea.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/larrymer/characters

Thanks in advance.

Okay man, there's a lot to unpack here because there are a ton of mechanics you still need to learn. I'm just going to hit some of the basics that will help your gameplay and someone else can take over with specific advice:

1) You don't need two of the same skill! Each of those two Ice shots is supported only by the gems linked to it. So what you have is two of the same skill with different sets of bonuses. Use the 5-link in your chest and remove the one in your bow. You can replace it with something else.
2) You have VERY VERY VERY low life. The golden rule to die less is 300 life per act you have beaten - by the time you clear act 10 you want 3000 life as your barest of bare minimums, 4k is more comfortable. Way too many of your rares have no life at all. Ignore anything damage related and instead get something with 60+ life in every slot.
3) You can buy any basic skill or support gem from Lily Roth for some very common orbs. Shop around for what you like (be aware they all start at level 1 so don't take it to your current level for a test run, go somewhere easy. Also Cast on Critical doesn't do anything in your boots. That's for a specific type of character who triggers other spells when something crits and doesn't work with the gems in your boots.
4) Your resists are capped, which is good. However it does look like you aimed for a lot of the resistances on the skill tree. Resists are easy to cap off gear (pieces go to 40% and higher per resist, you need 135% to each resist. Chaos is weird and even 0% is pretty comfortable). Life is going to serve you better than trying to fill in resists on the tree.

I don't know much about Ice Shot or Deadeye so I'm not going to try to make suggestions there. Unfortunately, as often happens with someone going in blind, you may not be able to bring this character into a viable end-game state without a TON of work. It's usually easier to start a new character than it is to acquire 50-60 regret orbs (especially in SSF). I highly recommend going on the PoE forums and finding a guide for an ascendancy or skill you want to play. The best guides explain how and why you are making the choices you are.

One last bit: Flasks! Most people run with a single life flask and 4 defensive/utility flasks. You shouldn't need a mana flask. Instead grab the mana leech nodes in the ranger section (Essence Sap) and you'll pretty much never run out ever. Hybrid flasks are bad because they are weaker and use more charges. If you see any other flasks try stockpiling them, Jade and Silver would be excellent to slot in (phasing/dodge chance and onslaught, which raises move and attack speed).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SynthesisAlpha posted:

1) You don't need two of the same skill! Each of those two Ice shots is supported only by the gems linked to it. So what you have is two of the same skill with different sets of bonuses. Use the 5-link in your chest and remove the one in your bow. You can replace it with something else.
:v:
I tried doing this when I first started playing. Using the same materia twice is how it works in FF7 to create three and four link abilities

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I figured the second ice shot was his single target setup, which is normal, although it should at least have barrage support

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Rutibex posted:

:v:
I tried doing this when I first started playing. Using the same materia twice is how it works in FF7 to create three and four link abilities

It's an advanced mechanic, but unleash 2x icespear used to be a thing

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aye Doc posted:

this is my favorite Ramyeon build yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acPfURK_4Q

I... was theorycrafting this just a few days ago :smith:

I even reserved the name Gemless to do it.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Guess it's back to flame dash totems trickster for you

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thanks for the advice dudes. I'll tool around with it and see where to go from there. I'm not gonna make another build this league I don't think so I'll do some tweaks and get as far as the build and gear will take me. My goal was just to beat the campaign (never got past act 3 or 4 before previously) so I've done that at least. Still have a lot to learn, obviously. Will see how fun the endgame stuff is now.

I've been looking for resists and life but I never seem to get good rolls for both on the same item. All the ritual poo poo always seems way lower level for uniques and stuff too. Sort of was hitting a wall. And as somebody else suggested I was using the 2nd ice shot for single target. I even tried it with barrage support previously but wasn't sure if it was doing more damage that way or not. Was hard to see much difference. That's why I was asking if there's a better single target skill that may work better but figured I'd at least take advantage of the dumb jewels I was already using.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

whypick1 posted:

And as mentioned above, get rid of global Pierce ASAP. Pierce in your clear skill setup good, Pierce everywhere bad.

It's gone, but now arises a new problem: somehow all of my gear breaks when I take off a single ring and it somehow causes all of my stats to plummet, rather than the intelligence.

This is the endgame, isn't it? The balancing act of getting all the stats you want without everything going kerplunk in the process? It's fun as all hell, also :gonk:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Suburban Dad posted:

Thanks for the advice dudes. I'll tool around with it and see where to go from there. I'm not gonna make another build this league I don't think so I'll do some tweaks and get as far as the build and gear will take me. My goal was just to beat the campaign (never got past act 3 or 4 before previously) so I've done that at least. Still have a lot to learn, obviously. Will see how fun the endgame stuff is now.

I've been looking for resists and life but I never seem to get good rolls for both on the same item. All the ritual poo poo always seems way lower level for uniques and stuff too. Sort of was hitting a wall. And as somebody else suggested I was using the 2nd ice shot for single target. I even tried it with barrage support previously but wasn't sure if it was doing more damage that way or not. Was hard to see much difference. That's why I was asking if there's a better single target skill that may work better but figured I'd at least take advantage of the dumb jewels I was already using.

FYI SSF is very different in POE than in D3. In D3 you're drops are weighted towards your class, in POE they are not. SSF in POE is for people who have played a lot and like the extra difficulty. Learning the game in trade league is so much easier because you can actually get the gear you need and have fun instead of slamming your face into a brick wall.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Victory Position posted:

It's gone, but now arises a new problem: somehow all of my gear breaks when I take off a single ring and it somehow causes all of my stats to plummet, rather than the intelligence.

This is the endgame, isn't it? The balancing act of getting all the stats you want without everything going kerplunk in the process? It's fun as all hell, also :gonk:
if you take the ring off and it breaks another item that has stats on it you get a bit of a failure cascade yeah

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Suburban Dad posted:

Hi thread. I'm a longtime Diablo player trying out POE (for like the 3rd time) and am hoping to get some advice or maybe somebody to do a quick once over on my Deadeye build. I looked at some guides but didn't really follow one to the letter and still don't understand the bazillion mechanics in this game. I'm playing SSF and have pretty garbage gear, but I just finished the campaign and have done a couple maps. I do ok clearing trash but and don't die often except during rituals when there's a ton of poo poo in a small area. Not sure if my damage is too low (yes) or my defense sucks (yes). I'm using some low level uniques because that's what's good in diablo and so I'm broke brained for this game. :v: Not sure what I should be looking for besides sockets, resists, life, and elemental damage really.

Anywhere on the tree that's hosed up and points could be better used elsewhere? I don't have a good single target skill picked out either so I'd love suggestions there as well. I'm using Ice Shot (mainly because I found 2 of the ice shot jewels, haha) to freeze and slow clearing trash so trying to get highish crit if I can. Hopefully that's not a terrible idea.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/larrymer/characters

Thanks in advance.

As a pretty new player still (this is the third league I've played, so I at least know what things are, I'm just still not great at the game), to another (sounds like) new player, I think you made two really big mistakes starting off:

1. Follow a guide. Follow several guides. Get to T14-T16 following that guide, start learning how the build works, how things on the Atlas work, how your skill tree + gear + flasks interact and work. Once you've done a few builds, gotten to the point where you need to fix some things yourself, the game starts to make a little more sense.
2. Others may really disagree - but I'd strongly, strongly, strongly not go SSF for a first "real" character. It sounds fun, but you really gotta understand the extremely complex (and mostly RNG based) crafting system to get anywhere doing SSF.

Aside from that, just to quickly reiterate some points other made + a few other things:

- Figure out your defense. As a first / early character, that probably means more life at least (specialized builds can deviate from this)
- Look into other flasks. Most builds just run with a life flask, or just a mana flask, and everything else provides various offensive / defensive benefits along with various ailment immunity typically (chill, stun, bleed, poison).
- Your sheet resist cap (defense tab) is 75%. Finishing Act X gives you a -60% debuff that you can't directly see, but it's caculated into that sheet tab already. Resists need to be at or very near cap, at the least (later / juiced maps, cap required).
- Uniques here are nothing like D3. My experience is most builds might use one or two, but usually the build (or similar) works without any. Most uniques are vendor trash. Yes, there's some really expensive ones, but you're not gonna find it.

Some general new player tips, if you don't know them (or maybe they'll help someone else):

- Use PathOfBuilding Community Fork, called POB
- A 6-link (6L) for your main skill is a huge dps increase, but 6L weapons can be expensive usually. 6L chests that are corrupted can often be affordable. But you should be running 5Ls at the minimum - use a 5c prophecy called "The Jeweller's Touch"
- Get very comfortable with the trade site: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade. Explore all the searching options. "Better Trading" browser addon is great: https://github.com/exile-center/better-trading
- Mapping has 5000 old league mechanics and they're confusing.
- Crafting is overly complex, but even idiots like me can do some simple stuff like use the crafting bench to shore up gear, and tweaking sockets. Any item is super easy to 4L, and colors are easy to change so long as you're not going too far off color (like a strength only required item to all blue sockets).
- Use a loot filter. Pick up less. A lot less than you think. http://filterblade.xyz/. I get to Strict / Very strict pretty fast, but now I'm using Vas's (goon here) filter.

I'd really recommend rerolling, not going SSF, and following a guide closely. Find a guide for 3.13 with feedback and people confirming that it's not hot garbage.

Edit:

Victory Position posted:

Yes. There's some fun about it, but sometimes it also feels pretty boring because 90% of the good gear is like "oh has high resists and life". But it's very much a juggling puzzle and you get the garbo where one piece literally breaks all your gear sometimes. Usually it's a gem though which is easy enough to rectify.

Some people actually kind of abuse this to their favor - you have 100 str. Gloves require 110 str, but also add 20 str. So you put on a garbage amulet with a lot of +str, then put on the boots, then you can take off the amulet.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 29, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm also pretty sure you can keep your current character and take it out of SSF if you understandably don't want to relevel

e: also wrt skill tree Vitality Void is real good if you do enough leech for it to matter, and if you get better stats from gear you can drop the +30 stat nodes

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 29, 2021

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

StashAugustine posted:

I'm also pretty sure you can keep your current character and take it out of SSF if you understandably don't want to relevel

If you do relevel but want to go quicker through it: https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/quick-reference-leveling-guide-act-1

(Beware of builds on this site though - the first one I ever did was from this site, had high reviews, and was hot garbo that the goon rightly tore to shreds when I got to mapping and stalled hard).

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
I'm at 10 million shaper dps on my elemental hit raider, but 4k health and basically relying on dodge/evasion, nuking stuff down fast and steelskin on mouse 1 is kind of getting old in terms of defenses as I start to farm tier 16 maps. Life is already scarce on that side of the tree but I guess I should respec into what I can, maybe put on the small cluster jewel that grants endurance charges when hit. It just feels super bad to lower your damage output. I don't know what other defensive layers I could even fit on this guy though?

https://pastebin.com/J37PjJSE it's been a blast of a build to, well, build though. Very fun. It's a shame the stats on Asenath's Chant are so rear end, but before we get that curse on a ring I'll be lazy and keep it on, wave of conviction automated is nice too. Shown is mapping flasks I've got a life one in my stash but it's not really needed while just farming for harvest (bunch of my gear is WIP).

Kehveli fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 30, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RossCo posted:

Honestly at this point I'm so used to it that if it was banned there is a non zero chance I would stop playing, not out of immediate pique but repeated annoyance.

If anyone didn't already know, Chris_Wilson specifically OKed it, so it's not a thing you have to worry about :

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4su6o7/will_i_get_banned_for_using_yolomousea_cursor/

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its time for a two week progress report! Right now Im starting to poke my head into guardians and endgame bosses, and promptly having it chopped off. My storm burst inquisitor looks like itll be just decent once Im done building it, but maybe an explosion chest or some well crafted influenced items will have more of an impact than I expect (even though I feel the explosion chest will be a crutch for a whole swath of builds and I want my builds to at least function without one).

I managed to get to Sirus for the first time, who repeatedly murdered me in the spinning beam phase, but I think Im on the cusp of being able to tank all but two attacks (maze slam and clone beams) so Im hoping I can get to the point where I can just sit around the final phase and observe. I could also farm heists or harvests for currency, but a lot of better gear is locked behind fights this build hasnt beaten so I refuse to buy it. However, T16s are getting progressively safer, every build tweak I make squeezes out just a little more, Im learning how to exit bad situations, and Ive even dabbled in crafting. My next major goals are just to chill and grind out the Maven fights while trying to get pale court recipes the old-fashioned way, then jump into harvest crafting, and then jump into Sirus and disrespect the fight.

Wheres everyone else at?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Control Volume posted:

Its time for a two week progress report! Right now Im starting to poke my head into guardians and endgame bosses, and promptly having it chopped off. My storm burst inquisitor looks like itll be just decent once Im done building it, but maybe an explosion chest or some well crafted influenced items will have more of an impact than I expect (even though I feel the explosion chest will be a crutch for a whole swath of builds and I want my builds to at least function without one).

I managed to get to Sirus for the first time, who repeatedly murdered me in the spinning beam phase, but I think Im on the cusp of being able to tank all but two attacks (maze slam and clone beams) so Im hoping I can get to the point where I can just sit around the final phase and observe. I could also farm heists or harvests for currency, but a lot of better gear is locked behind fights this build hasnt beaten so I refuse to buy it. However, T16s are getting progressively safer, every build tweak I make squeezes out just a little more, Im learning how to exit bad situations, and Ive even dabbled in crafting. My next major goals are just to chill and grind out the Maven fights while trying to get pale court recipes the old-fashioned way, then jump into harvest crafting, and then jump into Sirus and disrespect the fight.

Wheres everyone else at?

Stopped playing Ice Nova Heiro at 94, cleared Sirus a couple times, Atlas is sitting at A7. Now I'm doing a Penance Brand Elementalist and just trying to get the gear together to swap to low life and auras instead of *waves at hot mess of skill tree*.

Ice Nova was super fun making slowly moving ball walls of death but the damage was a little weak on bosses and while 50% MoM put me at 8k ehp, it was still rough because of how long you have to cast and how hard it is to dps any boss that moves around. You have to get a medium distance away, fire the icebolts, then build up novas on them. Half the time the boss is already gone or you have to dash before you get more than 1-2 ice nova casts.

Penance Brand is super fun and fast so far. Up to low reds and it clears like a dream. Single target is only okay because my gear is poo poo and I need to swap to a better tree, but it's zippy and casts super fast so I can always be on the move. This has been my most profitable league ever, with 28ex sitting in my stash after spending around 10 on my Heiro. I've had a few big ticket drops (a 6L soul mantle, & Machina Mitts from Rituals, a zesty warlord ring I posted a few pages back that came from a single harvest chaos orb sold for 8ex), and like 6 raw exalt drops.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Control Volume posted:

Wheres everyone else at?

Archmage BF/BB Hiero, level 93, currently at A6 but am feeling slightly unmotivated to get to A7 (see: my recent post history). Only Al-Hazmin gives me any grief, other guys I can drop easy; no Sirus deaths. Done Shaper and Elder and their bros deathless, want to do UE. Also want to unlock Uncharted Realms but haven't actually seen a clear guide that says how to (fight Maven?). My main issue is getting mobbed to death, think I need more recovery to go with my Glancing Blows, want to get a recover life+mana shield to help out with that but that's a non-trivial entry fee.

Also started up a Burning Arrow Elementalist. Just killed Kaom/Daresso. Somehow this character is leveling faster than my league starter... :thunk:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 30, 2021

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
96 BF/BB Chieftain, 10/12 Uncharted passive points, only think holding me back from 12 is Uber Atziri, which I don’t think I can do on this character period. Currently at A9 since I’m specced into Conqs/Sirus and Zana in Uncharted.

Spending my time trying to farm Harvest crafts in Haewark while slowly working on my challenges. Hoping to get 36/40 this league, which I’ve done in the last three leagues leading up to Heist, but burned out hard at 24 last league. In the next few days I’ll probably get more serious about grinding out the remaining challenges and stop dicking around trying to get Harvests.

Debating on if I want to pull the trigger and roll a second character; I’m interested in playing Raider (never played Ranger) and/or making a build specifically for dunking on Atziri, but I’m still enjoying BB/BF. (If anyone has a fun speedy raider or other ranger boss killer boss that can do Uber Atziri HMU)

I’m getting a little tired of rituals but still doing them, and I really like what Maven’s added to the game. Very solid league overall imo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

xZAOx posted:

As a pretty new player still (this is the third league I've played, so I at least know what things are, I'm just still not great at the game), to another (sounds like) new player, I think you made two really big mistakes starting off:

1. Follow a guide. Follow several guides. Get to T14-T16 following that guide, start learning how the build works, how things on the Atlas work, how your skill tree + gear + flasks interact and work. Once you've done a few builds, gotten to the point where you need to fix some things yourself, the game starts to make a little more sense.
2. Others may really disagree - but I'd strongly, strongly, strongly not go SSF for a first "real" character. It sounds fun, but you really gotta understand the extremely complex (and mostly RNG based) crafting system to get anywhere doing SSF.

I didn't want to use a guide because I'm not gonna learn much from that. Yeah I may gently caress up and make mistakes but that's ok. I'm not planning to do everything possible in my first league anyway. If I want something better optimized then maybe next go round I'll do that. What poe (at least what I came to understand) things that people liked vs D3 was choice and build diversity so I'm going for that for a change at least.

From my days in diablo 2 I grew to hate trading. Not actually playing the game is not fun for me so I am not interested in that portion of it and the economy of trading. Again I know I'm making it harder on myself but these were conscious choices knowing the consequences.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I took a groundslam berserker up to 91 but decided to reroll into a bladeblast assassin. Both are a bit too squishy for what I'd like but I'm starting to get the money to craft up some nuts stuff for the assassin. Almost got to Sirius before getting bored of the zerker and haven't felt tough enough on the assassin yet

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Hit 91 on my league starter (phys skelemancer). Atlas is super incomplete because I rushed low reds in Haewark to the exclusion of almost anything else. It's probably time to roll a second character rather than continue to invest in this one but I haven't committed to a build yet. That OWN Infernal Blow Raider looks interesting but I'm not sure I can be bothered to get the 6 offcolors on the chest that the build needs. If I sold off everything on my necro I'd have about 15ex to reinvest into a second build. Mostly just continuing to farm up harvests while thinking about the next build.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

whypick1 posted:

My main issue is getting mobbed to death, think I need more recovery to go with my Glancing Blows, want to get a recover life+mana shield to help out with that but that's a non-trivial entry fee.

This was also one of my issues until I switched to shield charge + fortify for approaching and bugging out if my health bar moves when IC is up. More recovery seems to only help against baseline stuff, so great for rituals, but all of my deaths are from unexpected burst damage and my survivability went up drastically when I started approaching mitigation from that aspect.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

I didn't want to use a guide because I'm not gonna learn much from that. Yeah I may gently caress up and make mistakes but that's ok. I'm not planning to do everything possible in my first league anyway. If I want something better optimized then maybe next go round I'll do that. What poe (at least what I came to understand) things that people liked vs D3 was choice and build diversity so I'm going for that for a change at least.

From my days in diablo 2 I grew to hate trading. Not actually playing the game is not fun for me so I am not interested in that portion of it and the economy of trading. Again I know I'm making it harder on myself but these were conscious choices knowing the consequences.

I agree on not using a guide as a newbie. My first character was just an elementalist who I got to level 79 before the squishness of no defences and medicore damage from lightning tendrils caughr up with me. Now I'm onto a Ice Spear/Ethereal knives deadeye and that's got to level 85, and I've learnt a hell of alot more stitching my own character together than following others plans.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Control Volume posted:

This was also one of my issues until I switched to shield charge + fortify for approaching and bugging out if my health bar moves when IC is up. More recovery seems to only help against baseline stuff, so great for rituals, but all of my deaths are from unexpected burst damage and my survivability went up drastically when I started approaching mitigation from that aspect.

I have a Vigilant Strike setup that I never use because my attack speed is balls. Not using Shield Charge because mechanically I don't like it, it doesn't clear gaps and my accuracy is even more garbage.

So yeah, pretty much no Fortify uptime with no great way to remedy it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Almost 95 on my Vortex LL Occultist. I really don't think I'm going to do another characters at least no plans to at this point. Still plenty of room for growth at this point. Farming t16 with ease while working on map completion. Should be trying a7 Sirus tonight. Never pushed the atlas past awakened 5 before. Maybe looking at trying more of the end game stuff this weekend. Need to craft a better wand and ring in that order. I need to really figure out crafting for once and maybe this is the league I do it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Suburban Dad posted:

I didn't want to use a guide because I'm not gonna learn much from that.
i think you really learn more from following a guide and seeing what works and why rather than getting to yellow maps, dying constantly and having no clue what the problem is or how to fix it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Awesome! posted:

i think you really learn more from following a guide and seeing what works and why rather than getting to yellow maps, dying constantly and having no clue what the problem is or how to fix it.

That's definitely how it worked for me. The game is just way too complex to try to figure it out on my own. This is a case where I think it is much easier to learn by example (multiple of them).

But I'll hold that it's also possible for others to be different.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I realized the reason I burned out on this game for awhile is because when I do play I just want to try every build ever. Still sticking to the Righteous Fire Jugg but I keep side eyeing hollow palm and burning arrow builds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would say do both.

Dogmatically following most guides won't inform you as to why the character tree is making the decisions it does or which parts of your gear are the most important. Similarly, refusing to look at guides won't give you perspective on how to improve, you'll just be shooting in the dark and guessing, which may work out but then later on you could find out that having a single piece of gear you didn't even know existed could triple your dps with no other changes.

Roll your own, then when it fails, look at guides to see how it can be min-maxed, play that, then have another go at customising it.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Also gonna say that trading isn’t a huge imposition on most people’s play time. It’s a mostly passive endeavor and can really avoid some frustrating bumps this game can offer you.

I’m not ordering you to do it mind, and from watching streamers play SSF it does seem like the game’s final form, but a lot of people (myself included) have nerves about trading and then once they rip the band-aid off it’s actually pretty fun and easy.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

whypick1 posted:

I have a Vigilant Strike setup that I never use because my attack speed is balls. Not using Shield Charge because mechanically I don't like it, it doesn't clear gaps and my accuracy is even more garbage.

So yeah, pretty much no Fortify uptime with no great way to remedy it.

Flame dash and frost shield are my main tools once Im in the middle of the fight, the shield charge is specifically for approaching and moving across empty space. Even without fortify, I just value the slower approach because it gives me time to react if I find the supposedly single pack turns out to be three plus two sirus-dommed rares (when they dont oneshot me anyways)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I would say do both.

Dogmatically following most guides won't inform you as to why the character tree is making the decisions it does or which parts of your gear are the most important. Similarly, refusing to look at guides won't give you perspective on how to improve, you'll just be shooting in the dark and guessing, which may work out but then later on you could find out that having a single piece of gear you didn't even know existed could triple your dps with no other changes.

Roll your own, then when it fails, look at guides to see how it can be min-maxed, play that, then have another go at customising it.

Yea, I looked at guides, and saw stuff like "oh, CwDT and steelskin/immortal cry is a good combo" or "everyone spreads out over three areas just to get all the life nodes, do it"But just following someone elses recipe is dull and tinkering is fun, even if I have to abandon characters at 72 because they don't work.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea, I looked at guides, and saw stuff like "oh, CwDT and steelskin/immortal cry is a good combo" or "everyone spreads out over three areas just to get all the life nodes, do it"But just following someone elses recipe is dull and tinkering is fun, even if I have to abandon characters at 72 because they don't work.

Yeah this is the way to go. For me I learned best by starting with a full guide and then tweaking and customizing its endgame state, but your way seems better for you.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Playing without a guide is fine if you understand that you're gonna get your rear end kicked hard and have to make a new character. The gap between good builds and bad builds in this game is absolutely massive. Guides tend to get recommended pretty strongly around here because a common thing that happens is a new player shows up, plays without a guide, gets their rear end kicked, says "Wait what do you mean I can't just respec all my points?" and then quits forever. Nevermind the fact that even if they had unlimited respec they'd still be getting their rear end kicked, a bad skill tree is only a portion of their problem. Even if they followed a guide, lots of guides are straight up bad or difficult for new players to follow so there is no guarantee there either.

And even if you do follow a good guide and do well? This game has so much stuff to learn you''re never gonna stop learning. Following 1 good build guide will only teach you a tiny fraction of what there is to learn, but it will let you at least see a good chunk of what content is available and get you started on the path to learning how to do that content in the future.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

George posted:

from watching streamers play SSF it does seem like the game’s final form

hah, no

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I will probably never play SSF in PoE if only because I can't imagine losing the dopamine rush of having something like a Headhunter or even an Exalt drop and shunting it into storage to be ignored because it doesn't work with my build or I can't really do anything with it.

This is very healthy, I'm sure.

It always feels so good when some dope rear end item drops, even if I can't use it, because I know I can trade it for Dope poo poo for my build. If I had to make, link, and color my Explode chest all by myself without even the option to currency trade for more alts or jewelers/fusings I think I'd quit.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aerox posted:

I will probably never play SSF in PoE if only because I can't imagine losing the dopamine rush of having something like a Headhunter or even an Exalt drop and shunting it into storage to be ignored because it doesn't work with my build or I can't really do anything with it.

This is very healthy, I'm sure.

It always feels so good when some dope rear end item drops, even if I can't use it, because I know I can trade it for Dope poo poo for my build. If I had to make, link, and color my Explode chest all by myself without even the option to currency trade for more alts or jewelers/fusings I think I'd quit.

when you're in SSF and some dope poo poo drops that you can't use on your current character, it just means you get to make a new character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Control Volume posted:

Wheres everyone else at?

Level 95 dominating blow guardian, A7, about 120/40 atlas completion, still working on getting all the ten boss invitations. I like the build a lot but I'm feeling somewhat discouraged right now. For almost everything its a great boss killer but mechanically it doesn't hold up against the new endgame fights. I've got 7k hp, 75/75 glancing blows block with a life on block shield, 79/78/78/50 resists, 10k armor, ~15% flat phys damage reduction, fortify on my main skill, endurance charges, probably some other poo poo I'm forgetting and it's all for naught in the uncharted realms fights because you just can't stand still long enough to hit guys with a namelock skill to spawn the sentinels. Plus they get owned quickly anyways by the huge aoe damage flying all over the place. I'd stop short of saying the fights are over tuned because they're super endgame and deserve to be hard but it is a kick in the balls to have a character that is so tanky against all other content and feels like wet tissue paper in those fights.