Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The production crew must be so happy that Big Alice allows for a wider set.

Are they starting to bring up the idea that the weather is changing? That was part of the idea of the drawers from Season 1, so it would be wild if we get a timeskip to them rebuilding society outside of the train.

If it's supposed to be too cold for snow, why would the tracks get covered?
The wind's been blowing them around.

xerxus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

xerxus posted:

Are they starting to bring up the idea that the weather is changing?
Spoiler for the film:
In the middle of the movie they bring this idea up. The fact that a proper, singular snowflake can be witnessed was the indication that the Earth was warming back to normal. What it means for the show is that it's definitely not in the canonical timeline, unless you really wanna convince me that it took people on the train 8 years to notice the snow again.

Also, I went back to look at the image of where the show is supposed to be on the timeline of the film and comics, and despite a bunch of articles stating that "TNT Released this image" the image itself is only ever branded as being from a titan-comics.com which is certainly not TNT's website and most probably just some dude's inspired idea of where the show fits in.

Open Source Idiom posted:

New episode! New theme arrangement!
This threw me off. It's good but I admittedly liked the old one better.

Okay I binged the rest of Season One you were absolutely right. I really enjoyed that. Some reservations, and I wish the show wouldn't trend towards melodramatic plots, but it's pretty good overall. Love the set design too.

Yeah it's not AAA television but it's definitely AA television and in the coming months, we're gonna need it.

As for my thoughts on this first episode? Fuckin' strong episode! Cinematography, acting, writing, music, CG, storyboarding... it's all up there. I'm always wary of the "parent trying to turn the child" plot since another very good show currently airing has the same thing happening and I kinda hate it, so I'm glad it looks like they're just gonna get over it quick instead of having it take over the whole season.

OH I am extremely excited for the crazy doctors, since one of them is the weird numbers nerd from House of Cards, where he was unfortunately wasted on the worst seasons. I hope there is more weird poo poo to see coming from Big Alice!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 27, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

As for my thoughts on this first episode? Fuckin' strong episode! Cinematography, acting, writing, music, CG, storyboarding... it's all up there.

Huh, I've always thought the show's CG is a bit weak. The air leaking from Melanie's suit, some of the sequence where she's escaping from the train's wheels... the exterior shots look much improved over last year's though.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't give half a poo poo of concern for a show's budget or the photorealistic verité of its CGI -- the film's CG is objectively poor, and that means nothing to me. But I'd still not argue that the CG is particularly strong.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

xerxus posted:

The production crew must be so happy that Big Alice allows for a wider set.

I hope we see more of Big Alice's cars. I love the rougher more utilitarian look of the sets outside of Wilford's ad hoc quarters (did anyone else think he was living in the actual control room until the reveal of Alex's room? It just felt so Wilford to want the controls at hand all the time.)

I just imagine life to be rather lovely for the majority of folks on his train in general since unlike Snowpiercer it wasn't designed for long term living as far as we know.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It looked like when the snowpiercer folks broke in that the big alice people there to fight them weren't particularly well off either. Looked pretty run down and had ad hoc weapons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like how they brought in a loving literal ice troll who's immune to cold damage

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's rude. Icy Ben has a rare skin condition.

I'm guessing he'll be connected to the weird doctors in some way. I could see Wilford being into some mad science.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm excited to find out what super power Oily Ben has.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

he's 63 years old with no wrinkles

I get why she's around for dramatic purposes and enjoy her actor but can't recall, did the show actually give a good reason for them having not immediately killed the hateful fascist with an IQ of like 75

Ruth should be feeding the mushroom farm, not holding a position of authority

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

They dropped Susan Park's character from the credits, and added Steven Ogg

Sweet, dropping my least favorite character for my most favorite actor.

Wheeee posted:

he's 63 years old with no wrinkles

I get why she's around for dramatic purposes and enjoy her actor but can't recall, did the show actually give a good reason for them having not immediately killed the hateful fascist with an IQ of like 75

Ruth should be feeding the mushroom farm, not holding a position of authority

On the other hand, she actually has a position of authority, at least for the First Class. I mean you'll probably don't want to execute the person who's literal job is "Let's calm the gently caress down" in the aftermath of a revolution unless you really have to. On the other hand I mean she will obviously betray them at one point anyway so :shrug:

Definitely should have taken an arm though.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 27, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also agree that Robert Strong is a fun new addition

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
One thing I do like is that the plot makes it feel like every life on board Snowpiercer matters - it takes a long time to make a human, and every person killed is a loss of skills, labour, knowledge, and one step closer to extinction. Even though we see a lot of nameless extras get killed, it feels important, unlike a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction, where people feel disposable and characters are perfectly OK with indiscriminate murder. I really enjoyed the film, but I'm enjoying this slightly less surreal and more grounded version more.

Daveed Diggs and Jennifer Connelly have been fantastic, adding Sean Bean in the mix should be something special.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

It's impossible for me to like Ruth because I hated that actress's character in The Americans lol

e: and I hate Ruth in Ozark because of Kimmie... The Americans really hosed me up

Her and affluenza teen were impossible to like because they both did killer job's of being intensely hate-able characters.

Excited for this new season, gonna wait a bit before jumping in though. Last season I would've gone nuts if I had to wait for episodes.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ruth's naive complete trust in Wilford, despite him not doing much to earn it was interesting in season 1, hopefully they move away from it, or have her feel divided loyalties as his true nature is exposed. She's more likable and redeemable than the character played by Tilda Swindon in the film, who filled the same role.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Huh, I've always thought the show's CG is a bit weak. The air leaking from Melanie's suit, some of the sequence where she's escaping from the train's wheels... the exterior shots look much improved over last year's though.
It's the exterior shots that I'm talking about. Those are the important ones and the ones I'll just gorge myself on. Yeah, the smaller CG stuff is not particularly well done but it's way more forgivable for a show at this level of budget.

Khanstant posted:

Excited for this new season, gonna wait a bit before jumping in though. Last season I would've gone nuts if I had to wait for episodes.
To its credit, this show is actually built to be weekly rather than built for possibly not being weekly. As such, this first episode has a start and end that perfectly encapsulates what makes a good television episode. As much as I love The Expanse, I find myself constantly going "OH COME ON I WANT MORE" at the end of almost every episode. Meanwhile Wandavision straight up pretends to be a weekly show despite being unbearable as one.

I'm being reminded of what I enjoyed so much about Snowpiercer's first season and I'm just getting more excited for this one. The complete inability to guess what's going to happen next and the fact that poo poo happens so fast is really, really satisfying.

Edit: Just correcting since this thread is slow and people might read this - Wandavision got much more bearable once episode 4 hit.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 30, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that was pretty loving badass that like 10 mins after the new train shows up, they're storming it with crossbows.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I forget, did they destroy the gun? Could have been helpful against the ice-tyrant.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I had subtitles on and someone did say something about still having the gun.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

bullets slide right off Oily Bob

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why isn't he in a sweaty fever delirium? Anything that isolates that good against the cold also traps body heat inside.

On the same notion, if this thousand carts long train has the energy to start and stop nilly willy, or just keep this poo poo moving to begin with, why can't it just heat everything while at a standstill?

I'm thinking too much about the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aren't heat and electricity bi-products of the magic perpetual motion engine at the front? Ergo, no movement no residual energy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

Aren't heat and electricity bi-products of the magic perpetual motion engine at the front? Ergo, no movement no residual energy.

It's not a perpetual motion engine. They've made that clear that the "eternal engine" was another Wilford farce. It does seem to run everything on the train except for reserves spent to start or increase speed.

Now they're so low they needed Big Alice (which presumably has a similar engine but hasn't drained its power) to get moving again.

It does bring into question why they didn't start killing optional power drains in season one but I suppose Melanie was trying to keep up a charade that nothing was wrong.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, confused it with the movie.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

Ah, confused it with the movie.

Eh you were right about most of the train needing motion to run.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
It is a perpetual motion machine, but like the engineer explains to the kid, the engine only produces a certain amount of power, infinitely. So at cruising speed the engine can power the train and charge its battery banks. To go faster than cruising speed they use battery power, and to move slower than cruising speed they also burn battery power, since the engine is under peak output. The engine can't start itself, it needs battery power to move up to speed where it can move under its own power.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Why does it need to power a set of wheels instead of a generator? Why does it care what’s behind the transmission shaft?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Stop asking questions before you lose an arm.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why does it need to power a set of wheels instead of a generator? Why does it care what’s behind the transmission shaft?

I think the motion of the train is supposed to be part of it.

Like some sort of weird slow train ramjet. where the motion forward is part of the design.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Might as well put an axial compressor in front of the magic engine, that said engine drives instead of the train wheels. Best not to overthink that. At least not so long they don't start veering into technobabble territory, because I feel like that's due soon (technical issues stirring up more drama).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If the thing is magic then theorycrafting around its limtations is pointless.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MiddleOne posted:

If the thing is magic then theorycrafting around its limtations is pointless.

All fiction is pointless.

This fiction does at least seem to have laid out rules on how the train works at a basic level. The engine requiring the train to be in motion is something they've clearly laid out and answers a lot of "why don't they just X" questions. Along with the train being designed as a luxury transport and only being retrofitted into an ark late in it's design. Where the designs are suboptimal for what it's being used for. So maybe the train could have better generators when stationary, but it doesn't, because they built it as a train.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I could almost see it as originally designed to be plugged in for start-up or at least having a charger for between trips.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

lol

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5QabWeUUw

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Bloody Hell this episode!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Heh I just realized that bearded rebel guy is Trevor Philips from GTA V. He is not that different here too

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

"Step aside, communiqué coming through!"

Dear God, she's so full of poo poo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ruth is so committed to her job that it's becoming a joke.

Sekenr posted:

Heh I just realized that bearded rebel guy is Trevor Philips from GTA V. He is not that different here too

His bit in Better Call Saul was hilarious. (No spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS6kAKj8R9o

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope Ruth ran the complete 10 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Steven Ogg tends to get typecast a little, but he puts so much energy into his performances.