Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Cool - hopefully it's true and covid does not succeed where the randleman suplex failed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Fedor is definitely ok and recovered from Covid you guys. You will never see or hear from him again but that's just because he has retired to a farm south of Moscow where he gets to wrestle and play with Putin's wife and Nikolai Yezhov

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Devoz posted:

Z-League MMA certainly has no shortage of dumb ideas - https://www.tiktok.com/@fightdesire/video/6917275080967867653

I hate that instagram and tiktok don't have volume sliders

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://twitter.com/jakepaul/status/1354084456273993734

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

For the first time in history, someone is TOO obnoxious to use a dbz av on twitter

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guess Jake wasn't good enough to get Conor as an opponent.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mekchu posted:

The A-side has spoken

https://twitter.com/antontabuena/status/1353342617103323138

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Conor has a 6 month medical suspension :shrug:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was taking a shot at Jake because who the gently caress cares about Jake Paul?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

COMING SOON TO A B-LEAGUE NEAR YOU:

https://twitter.com/mmafighting/status/1354519569050836992?s=21

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Everyone’s favorite idiot Mayor Pro Tem is, of course, uh, doing well —

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone know what the hell is going on with Bellator? I would have thought they would have looked at the calendar and gone "a Conor McGregor card one weekend and then nothing from the UFC the next weekend, that's a great opportunity for us to put something on and capitalise on the casuals that always get attracted when the Irishman fights".

I thought I would check the Bellator MMA in 2021 wikipedia article and... it doesn't exist.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

omg chael crash posted:

Everyone’s favorite idiot Mayor Pro Tem is, of course, uh, doing well —

hoping for a verbal or written response

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Memento posted:

Anyone know what the hell is going on with Bellator? I would have thought they would have looked at the calendar and gone "a Conor McGregor card one weekend and then nothing from the UFC the next weekend, that's a great opportunity for us to put something on and capitalise on the casuals that always get attracted when the Irishman fights".

I thought I would check the Bellator MMA in 2021 wikipedia article and... it doesn't exist.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/01/bellator-schedule-2021-list-of-events-scott-coker-debut-restart

quote:

“As far as starting, we’re probably thinking sometime in February,” Coker said. “We haven’t locked a date down yet, but that’s probably what we’re thinking in February to launch with our first fight of 2021.”

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Anyone else see that ONE is going to start having events on TNT? They start in April, Demetrius and Eddie will be on the first card.
What the gently caress even plays on TNT these days?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

FishBowlRobot posted:

Anyone else see that ONE is going to start having events on TNT? They start in April, Demetrius and Eddie will be on the first card.

NBA, AEW, Marvel movies, shows with people doing things that could vaguely be described as "drama"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So what was the deal with Bob Sapp? Did he really try when fighting or were his fights fixed?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what was the deal with Bob Sapp? Did he really try when fighting or were his fights fixed?

The thing with Sapp is sometimes it was neither and sometimes it was both.

Like, if you go back to his kickboxing days and watch the fights with Ernesto Hoost that made people take him seriously, on one hand he is definitely genuinely trying to fight the best kickboxer in the world despite being an amateur, but on the other the referee, who also happened to be a K-1 executive, is visibly in the tank for him and basically throws the second fight his way. If you look at his early MMA wins, he's really trying, and the fights aren't fixed, but they also don't have to be because he's at his biggest, roidiest prime and he's fighting people like Kiyoshi Tamura whom he outweighs by like 170 pounds, or Yoshihiro Takayama who, with all of the love in the world for the man, was a terrible fighter. Bob Sapp has 12 MMA wins, and of those 12, 7 had never won (or, in most cases, even fought) an MMA fight before and the remaining five were 100+ pounds underweight, professional jobbers with more losses than wins or, in one case, a TV comedian.

He was trying, but he was also given fights that could barely be called fights. It's only really when you get into this last decade of his career where he's done nothing but lose that you get into the fixed fights, and then they're fixed in the sense that 90% of the time Sapp extremely does not give a gently caress about the fights themselves and is just there for the paycheck and will gladly drop like a sack of potatoes if anyone touches him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CarlCX posted:

The thing with Sapp is sometimes it was neither and sometimes it was both.

Like, if you go back to his kickboxing days and watch the fights with Ernesto Hoost that made people take him seriously, on one hand he is definitely genuinely trying to fight the best kickboxer in the world despite being an amateur, but on the other the referee, who also happened to be a K-1 executive, is visibly in the tank for him and basically throws the second fight his way. If you look at his early MMA wins, he's really trying, and the fights aren't fixed, but they also don't have to be because he's at his biggest, roidiest prime and he's fighting people like Kiyoshi Tamura whom he outweighs by like 170 pounds, or Yoshihiro Takayama who, with all of the love in the world for the man, was a terrible fighter. Bob Sapp has 12 MMA wins, and of those 12, 7 had never won (or, in most cases, even fought) an MMA fight before and the remaining five were 100+ pounds underweight, professional jobbers with more losses than wins or, in one case, a TV comedian.

He was trying, but he was also given fights that could barely be called fights. It's only really when you get into this last decade of his career where he's done nothing but lose that you get into the fixed fights, and then they're fixed in the sense that 90% of the time Sapp extremely does not give a gently caress about the fights themselves and is just there for the paycheck and will gladly drop like a sack of potatoes if anyone touches him.

I see.

Because I saw one gif of him pummeling a kickboxing champion, yet he loses to this little "Giant Killer" Japanese dude.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The apex of Bob Sapp real fighting was against Nogueira, imo. Even though it was a loss, and even though he had 130 pounds on him, Nogueira was in peak form, and Bob Sapp went 14 minutes before he finally got tired. So he absolutely was giving it everything he had, which was working, given the strength advantage he had.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I see. How trained was Bob Sapp exactly? Also when did he "stop trying"?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 28, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. How trained was Bob Sapp exactly? Also when did he "stop trying"?

I think he stopped trying after CroCop broke his orbital. From then on, if he didn't win immediately, he folded like a house of cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HintBSV3yA

e: I just looked it up, and he actually had quite a few wins after that. Looks like it was between 2005-2008 that he quit giving any fucks.

Here's Bob Sapp going one on one with Mark Hunt in a tug of war contest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B31NLWTmpK4

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 28, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Minowa actually didn't beat Bob Sapp?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Minowa actually didn't beat Bob Sapp?

I personally think that fight was very real. For one, Sapp was very visibly trying to punch Minowa's face off when he was on top, and for two, while undersized, Minowa was legitimately very tough and a very canny grappler who had hit leglocks on dudes a lot better than Bob Sapp. It looks funny because of the size difference, but nothing in it is too questionable.

Like, kimbo305's completely right that the Nogueira fight was his best performance and a case of him doing well surviving against a very good grappler, but that was also when Sapp was like 28, being paid millions and trained by the best and only had a few fights under his belt. By the Minowa fight Sapp was in his mid-thirties, Japanese MMA had dried up pretty hard and he had the accumulated wear and tear of 30-35 combat sports bouts on his body. It's no coincidence that his dropoff into 100% thrown fights came pretty soon after that: He was getting older and the paychecks were getting a lot smaller.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishBowlRobot posted:

AEW is good OP, also the ONE on TNT announcement was made previously but nothing came of it until now.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Mekchu posted:

AEW is good OP, also the ONE on TNT announcement was made previously but nothing came of it until now.

Ah, don’t remember hearing the ONE announcement previously. What makes AEW stand out?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishBowlRobot posted:

Ah, don’t remember hearing the ONE announcement previously. What makes AEW stand out?

It's pro wrestling that is bearable to watch. IMO. I'm not a huge pro-wrestling person but the characters they have on the show make it worth while.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
James Vick got brutally destroyed over in promotion called XMMA in Florida it seems. And I do mean brutally. Probably a broken jaw and more

https://streamable.com/tkaigs

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

James Vick got brutally destroyed over in promotion called XMMA in Florida it seems. And I do mean brutally. Probably a broken jaw and more

:hellyeah:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Digital Jedi posted:

“He took ten, fifteen punches with no mouthpiece!”

:stare:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lol. Remember when he tried to act like Justin Gaethje wasn't poo poo?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
You can tell from the gatchjie interviews that Vick really truly believed he was the next big thing at LW.
Which reminds me, how did Such Great Heights end up doing?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Digital Jedi posted:

XMMA sounds like an offshoot of X-arm.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Digital Jedi posted:

Who is James Vick?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

willie_dee posted:

Who is James Vick?

Protege and defender of noted rapist Llyod Irvin and a general piece of poo poo. I got to see him knocked out in person years ago. I think it was an upkick.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Protege and defender of noted rapist Llyod Irvin and a general piece of poo poo. I got to see him knocked out in person years ago. I think it was an upkick.

horizontal niko price strikes again!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

there's video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ23XZdgyjo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

I dont remember lloyd doing the rape, it was a student of his who lloyd covered for or gave some form of protection/cover for i thought?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mekchu posted:

I dont remember lloyd doing the rape, it was a student of his who lloyd covered for or gave some form of protection/cover for i thought?

Congrats, you are as incorrect as Lloyd's jury!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Mekchu posted:

That was several decades later. The rapist Lloyd Irvin only avoided becoming the convicted rapist Lloyd Irvin back in the 80s because, unlike his convicted rapist friends that committed the same crime, he wasn't able to get hard.