Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I actually remember reading somewhere that a couple of the localizations had mitron using explicitly feminine pronouns, interestingly enough, though I don’t speak French/German/Spanish so I can’t confirm myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

Also, an unrelated, largely anticlimactic spoilery prediction I remembered while doing my roulettes. Or perhaps just a hope, because I think it would be an interesting turn.

All we really know about The Sound that caused the end of the Ancient's world was... well, that it was a sound. They heard a sound from the earth, and then everyone freaked the gently caress out. And we're all kind of assuming that in a few years, we're gonna turn our attention to whatever made The Sound, and fight it.

...what if there's nothing there? What if The Sound was just that: a noise that freaked people out, made them panic and lose control, thereby causing more people to panic? The entire paradise of Amaurot was brought undone not by some external force or nefarious plot, but just because even all-powerful humans are... kinda dumb, and prone to wrecking ourselves.

That doesn't work, you can't unconscioualy Create, you have to focus upon it. The reason that the Doom of Amaurot was so terrifying was that once it afflicted you, then every stray thought resulted in Creation.

Also good point about gendered deity names and Artemis, I'm down for Azem being Prometheus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SirSamVimes posted:

That doesn't work, you can't unconscioualy Create, you have to focus upon it. The reason that the Doom of Amaurot was so terrifying was that once it afflicted you, then every stray thought resulted in Creation.

There's a few quests in Amaurot (blue quests even, so they were at least deemed worth underlining) that show that they at least weren't very precise about their creations, so they weren't masters of their craft. And hell, there's even Akadaemia Anyder--Quetzacoatl was intentionally summoned, but everything else there was essentially the result of a similar panic spiral giving life to what wasn't meant to be alive.

I don't think this idea is all that likely, because frankly most MMO players would be really pissed if they were denied a fight against a giant monster. But if that's a direction they wanted to go down, I think there's some functional evidence, and I think it's a neat idea for where it could go. It's not even out of nowhere for the game's sources; Nier Automata played with similar themes. And in retrospect it is kinda weird that the Puppet's Bunker ended in the Alien Ship of all places.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The blue quests talked about when you had a stray thought while you were already focused on the act of Creation, like the Amaurotine who saw a group of children when he was in the middle of Creating robes. No dialogue has indicated that stray thoughts were dangerous except while you were already Creating, at least until the Sound.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just don't buy the ancients just heard a spooky noise and got scared for the first time in the history of their species, and the act of getting scared alone sent their civilisation into a doom spiral. If getting spooked was enough to cause them to start uncontrollably conjuring monsters they never would have developed as a society long enough to create Amaurot, they'd still be hunter gatherers getting killed by folk demons of their own imagination

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know, I could definitely see a space noise making everyone on Earth start freaking out, empowering the wrong people and causing a huge rift in the normal social order that keeps getting exacerbated by demagogues and greed and selfishness and blah blah blah.

I'd imagine the Doom of Amaurot was some innocuous thing that caused something similar, and Emet-Selch et al couldn't fathom that their perfect society was anything other than perfect, even while it tore itself apart. Zodiark probably was just the fantasy equivalent of a fascist takeover.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
We're directly told that the Sound wasn't just that, it mutated non-ancient life exposed to it and also forced ancients to lose all control over their creation magic. The ancients from amaurot even visited and captured creatures from another city that had previously been exposed to it.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Eopia posted:

We're directly told that the Sound wasn't just that, it mutated non-ancient life exposed to it and also forced ancients to lose all control over their creation magic. The ancients from amaurot even visited and captured creatures from another city that had previously been exposed to it.

Like something being directly stated has ever stopped Cleretic from believing their own sadbrain fanfiction instead, nor has it stopped them from constantly spamming threads with said fanfiction every single time anyone ever brings the subject up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There's only 12 Olympians but they already added an extra with Gaia (mother of the Titans and def not an Olympian) and the "twelve" usually includes either Dionysus or Hestia so if they just add both of them they're set.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Am I the only one who thought that while the spiritual gender of the convocation may have been locked in, that they could be reborn into any random body? Kinda like that tribe in the Steppe?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah for the sound to not be A Thing the game would have to ignore a large amount of stuff its already explicitly said about it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's also been implicitly set up as the next major villain for 7.0, given its origin in the completely unexplored New World and otherwise unresolved nature, so it kinda has to be something you can apply physical violence to.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 1, 2021

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Groggy nard posted:

Like something being directly stated has ever stopped Cleretic from believing their own sadbrain fanfiction instead, nor has it stopped them from constantly spamming threads with said fanfiction every single time anyone ever brings the subject up.

That's a little uncalled for.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Everyone should be nicer to Clerietic, who is generally a polite and friendly poster even as people flame her and try and run her out the thread for no greater crime than posting goofy fantheories

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Groggy nard posted:

It's also interesting to me how almost every one of Cleretic's theories is focused around how stupid, lazy, unimaginative or incompetent the Ascians supposedly were. Emet really struck a nerve!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
In any case, while I can see the utility in a Forbidden Planet style "this is power too unstable for this peaceful and naive society," I really wanna beat up not!Jenova.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

multijoe posted:

Everyone should be nicer to Clerietic, who is generally a polite and friendly poster even as people flame her and try and run her out the thread for no greater crime than posting goofy fantheories

But she committed the cardinal sin of not loving the thread's woobies.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
the what?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Kyrosiris posted:

But she committed the cardinal sin of not loving the thread's woobies.

But she is the?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
what tha gently caress is a woobie

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Farg posted:

Woobie is a general term in many fandoms for a character that everyone feels sad for and has general affection towards.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

...what if there's nothing there? What if The Sound was just that: a noise that freaked people out, made them panic and lose control, thereby causing more people to panic? The entire paradise of Amaurot was brought undone not by some external force or nefarious plot, but just because even all-powerful humans are... kinda dumb, and prone to wrecking ourselves.

"A bell followed by a high-pitched wail, after which things got bad," was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GET8ax8uWXk

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

"A bell followed by a high-pitched wail, after which things got bad," was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GET8ax8uWXk

I don't think it's ever been described as such.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Farg posted:

They're from Kashyyk.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think it's ever been described as such.

Thought one NPC in Amaurot said that. I'll have to go see if I can find the guy. Something to do before D&D tonight.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jetrauben posted:

In any case, while I can see the utility in a Forbidden Planet style "this is power too unstable for this peaceful and naive society," I really wanna beat up not!Jenova.

Yeah, this is why that isn't even a prediction or a theory, it's more a 'what if'. They're never going to pass up the chance for us to smash a big horrible monster's face in, so the Sound is definitely going to come from something that was alive, is STILL alive, and needs to die.

I just personally like considering the idea that... well, what if not? What if there isn't something for a dragoon to LB3 to solve this problem, what if it's just something that happened, that sucked, but can't be fixed by applying violence?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah I don't care about what caused the sound. Or Zodiark. Or Hydaelyn. It's probably more interesting if it always stays an off screen disaster.

Zodiark dealt with the noise maker. Hydaelyn dealt with Zodiark. With the Ascians soon to be dead, and the absolute conditions required to start a rejoining, Hydaelyn can likely just go to sleep and that's the end of things.

I more or less expect Zodiark to have one big appearance that we can deal with, but I'm ok with the status quo and don't need anything from them.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

My theory is that the Sound was the deathrattle of the Lifestream.

Throughout FF14 we've been told about how important the balance between elements is, and when one element overtakes the others is when a calamity occurs. And then here we have Amaurot, a world full of immortal creatures who can create life with their creation magics. Not only do Amaurotian souls not go into the Lifestream due to their immortality, they're constantly draining the Lifestream by creating living beings.

Life and death are completely out of whack, and then one day the Lifestream simply breaks. This causes the final days.

Now, the Amaurotians have the idea of creating Zodiark to save their world, and they do so by sacrificing half of all Amaurotians to create Zodiark. But the thing is, Zodiark doesn't actually do anything. The world is saved because all those sacrificed souls return to the Lifestream, fixing what was wrong with it, and the Ascians laboring to undo this would've doomed the world once more.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Zodiark: That's the beauty of it

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Andrew Verse posted:

And then here we have Amaurot, a world full of immortal creatures who can create life with their creation magics. Not only do Amaurotian souls not go into the Lifestream due to their immortality, they're constantly draining the Lifestream by creating living beings.

According to one of the short stories, their creations didn't have souls, except when they accidentally trapped a nearby soul in phoenix.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HenryEx posted:

Zodiark: That's the beauty of it

Lol, Zodiark is a grifter through and through.

I still think it would be really cool if they do a FFX thing and have us kill Sin who is revealed to be a cool and sweet Amaurotian who was turned into Sin to fight against the Noise but could never find it and has been wandering the universe destroying poo poo ever since.

First we had a sky whale, then a water whale, next is a space whale.

I just really liked FFX I think.

jokes fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 2, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Thought one NPC in Amaurot said that. I'll have to go see if I can find the guy. Something to do before D&D tonight.

Haven't gotten a chance to dig in-game so I'm not sure if the bell was mentioned somewhere else or I juxtaposed something, but someone on Reddit transcribed what NPCs say in the End of A World quest:

quote:

Have you not heard? Though yet confined to the lands across the sea, a terrible phenomenon afflicts our star. They are calling it the “Final Days.”

'Tis said it starts suddenly, a cacophonous keening from beneath the earth. The sound distorts all living things within earshot, and wrests from us control of our creation magicks.

Once that happens, all is lost. Fear, pain, despair...every dread impulse is siphoned from our minds and given substance: an eternal fall of fiery rain; an incessant spawning of nightmarish beasts...

None can point to the source of the phenomenon. 'Tis as if the star itself has fallen ill─as if a force inimical to life now festers and spreads.

'Tis only a matter of time until Amaurot, too, resounds to that discordant squall. You should stay with your loved ones, child... Stay with them...

A keening is a high wail.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I figure the sound was either Jenova (That's what the Ancients describe hearing when Jenova landed) or Lavos (because... Lavos)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm sorry but I don't remember either of those names from within this game

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm sorry but I don't remember either of those names from within this game

Jenova is a server in the US-Aether cluster :eng101:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

Am I the only one who thought that while the spiritual gender of the convocation may have been locked in, that they could be reborn into any random body? Kinda like that tribe in the Steppe?

No, that is explicitly canon because Ardbert and WoL are part of the same soul even if they are opposite genders.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i see the appeal of cleretic's theory that the doom of amaurot was the magic equivalent of someone shouting 'FIRE!' in a crowded theatre and causing a mass stampede. one person gets spooked enough by the noise that they create a beast, someone else sees it and thinks the noise created the beast and loses control, and it just spreads from there.

but because that would be a very hard thing to have a boss fight with the sound was probably caused by some semi-angelic body horror monster.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Why couldn't it be both? We track down the Source expecting it to be some horrific world ending monstrosity and we find out it's the aetheric equivalent of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K9mO5QzOIQ&t=115s

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Welp, RIP the Blades of Gunnhildr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
They went as they lived: getting owned constantly.