Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

That's hardly new, that's how the original 20vs (3B/7A/AAN) did it too: Timing belt from crank to water pump/exhaust cam, and chain between the exhaust and intake cams.

Doesn't my FSI do this also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

Doesn't my FSI do this also?

Probably, they moved the chain from the front to the rear, and now the chain has a oil pressure driven tensioner on it.

The 5 cylinders, at least the originals, only got tension from the cam spacing, that's all.

The 3 lobed thing on the left is the High Pressure Fuel Pump cam lobe, the right is the Variable Valve mechanism.

5 Cylinder cam chain.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 1, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
its still goofy as poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its still goofy as poo poo

it was cheaper than setting up a full chain system, and is reliable, sometimes goofy works perfectly. Considering the sheer amount of teething issues VAG has had with full chain systems, I'll keep it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

it was cheaper than setting up a full chain system, and is reliable, sometimes goofy works perfectly. Considering the sheer amount of teething issues VAG has had with full chain systems, I'll keep it.

somehow most other OEMs seem to have managed to do chains correctly and if you want cheap, belts are right there and work well too!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

somehow most other OEMs seem to have managed to do chains correctly and if you want cheap, belts are right there and work well too!

:shrug: They made damned good engines with the setup, so....alright then? There's 5 cylinders with the setup putting out 1000+ HP.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

rdb posted:

Its hard, the dealers are at least an hour to an hour and a half away. I had a golf rental car ca. 2017, it was fine once the seat was down and back. But I have never sat in the current gti or a jetta GLI for that matter. I forced myself to watch doug demuro, hes 6’4” and doing the sunroof lean on the GLI.

Thanks for all the answers folks.

As a fellow tall person, you'll find door card armrests are always too far forward once the seat's pushed back. Every single car is like this.
Coupes and suvs are usually fine in this regard.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The EA113 has one of the goofiest timing designs in world history, in that there's a belt that goes from the crank to the (exhaust? one of them) cam, and a chain that goes from the intake cam to the exhaust cam.

EA113 is the engine family. The three letter code following is a more specific model, which would include emissions-based state of tune, internals, ECU, etc. BPY is the North American market version in 200hp form and is a NA stock engine for the B7. Not sure about BPG, some quick googling indicates it was an early 2005.5 version of the TFSI for North America but I don't trust any of the immediate sources.

Yeah, assuming the sticker on the front of the engine is to be trusted, this stock, CPO 2006 B7 A4 2.0T has a BPG engine, not the BPY everyone else seems to have! No clue / no accurate source as you found to describe WTF it actually is.

CommieGIR posted:

Probably, they moved the chain from the front to the rear, and now the chain has a oil pressure driven tensioner on it.

The 5 cylinders, at least the originals, only got tension from the cam spacing, that's all.

The 3 lobed thing on the left is the High Pressure Fuel Pump cam lobe, the right is the Variable Valve mechanism.

5 Cylinder cam chain.

Neat! Well, CTS fix first and hopefully I don't have start pulling apart the engine to get it to start up! Though, new question -- what should the nominal impedances on my coil packs be? I'm seeing MOhm readings from my Fluke, which seems... off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah after a bit more search seems that BPG was used through 2005 CY production. It seems like the differences are in state of tune/ emissions and possibly compression ratio, but there are some other differences between the BPG and BPY. Unclear what they really are.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

RIP old CTS:

Miserable splicing job with no slack in the engine bay. Got the new one installed though and... fired right up, immediately, zero hesitation. Feels good.

Of course, five minutes later, there was a 'pop' and a bunch of steam -- new CTS popped right out. That's what I get for cheaping out, I guess... re-ordered the real OEM one from ECS + another retaining clip and will try to get it buttoned up this weekend so I can move on to oil changes and other poo poo. There are some conflicting DIYs on B7 A4 coolant system flush / bleeding... any tips? I want to drain the fucker and then refill with new, properly mixed distilled water and G13, and try to burp it clean as much as I can.

My theory-crafting... it was corroded just enough that the thermistor was reporting back ~90 C to the ECU (confirmed via VAG-COM), which was not enough to trigger an implausible value fault. Personally, I think this was a failure of imagination by some systems engineer somewhere working the fault mode, but it was also 2006 and the ECU proper in that architecture is KL15, not KL30. So, it would never have the state knowledge to see a cold ambient temp, time since last engine last on, and current coolant temperature and make the logical conclusion that CTS is hosed.

Removing CTS, coolant temp reports -40 C, triggers DTC for signal too high, and fan ran at maximum until I cleared the fault. I assume if I shorted to chassis, it would be too low (probably a pull-up resistor on the input line to the ADC). So... with a value of 90 C coming in, the ECU kept trying to start the engine at a point in the cals that was probably stoichiometrically very, very broken, but worked occasionally.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Audi introduced camshaft chain tensioners to adjust valve timing in later half of 90's. It improved engine power and fuel efficiency. Usually the tensioners work well if you change your oil. My A6 from 1999 has original ones, so does my S8 from 2001. 334tkm and 236tkm.

The chain only was more realiable but not as efficient. The only problem really is that the tensioners nowdays are 1000€ each and you need two for a V engine. So... Uh.. yep. Bad news if they need replacement.

Sometimes I get easy and cheap repairs with my S8. Piece of ice broke the brake pad sensor, also Webasto didn't work. Webasto's exhaust was frozen and fixing the brake pad cable was easy, only 0,6 hours of work (43€). Thanks.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Audi introduced camshaft chain tensioners to adjust valve timing in later half of 90's. It improved engine power and fuel efficiency. Usually the tensioners work well if you change your oil. My A6 from 1999 has original ones, so does my S8 from 2001. 334tkm and 236tkm.

The chain only was more realiable but not as efficient. The only problem really is that the tensioners nowdays are 1000€ each and you need two for a V engine. So... Uh.. yep. Bad news if they need replacement.

Sometimes I get easy and cheap repairs with my S8. Piece of ice broke the brake pad sensor, also Webasto didn't work. Webasto's exhaust was frozen and fixing the brake pad cable was easy, only 0,6 hours of work (43€). Thanks.

I'm hoping my neglect of oil change is saved by the engine still being under the interval in terms of mileage and only over in terms of time. Curious to see how the Liqui-Moly snake oil stuff works out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How long should a clutch last in a mk5 GTI? Going on 140k kms (85k miles?) and it feels the same as when I got the vehicle at 30k kms. Car has been tracked a few times and generally driven pretty aggressively but with mechanical sympathy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

How long should a clutch last in a mk5 GTI? Going on 140k kms (85k miles?) and it feels the same as when I got the vehicle at 30k kms. Car has been tracked a few times and generally driven pretty aggressively but with mechanical sympathy.

Honestly, really down to how much excess clutch slip you are doing. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if its still going at 180k.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Honestly, really down to how much excess clutch slip you are doing. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if its still going at 180k.

I guess that's where I'm surprised because I do use it for deceleration as well with a little slip.

How similar of a process is the changing of a clutch/TO bearing/slave cylinder/etc to a RWD job? I have no ability to conceptualize the inside of a FWD transmission.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I guess that's where I'm surprised because I do use it for deceleration as well with a little slip.

How similar of a process is the changing of a clutch/TO bearing/slave cylinder/etc to a RWD job? I have no ability to conceptualize the inside of a FWD transmission.

Main difference is needing an engine brace(goes over the top of the engine bay and just hold the engine while you remove the transmission since the transmission on most FWD is part of the engine support mounts)

Honestly, its not that bad.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Has anyone gone from an 8v A3/S3 to an A5/S5 Sportback? I want to trade in my S3 for an S5 but cannot visit the closest dealer due to COVID restrictions, and want to know from other peoples experience how much roomier the cabin feels, if at all. Obviously the cargo is much better, but is the front seating area appreciably roomier? Secondly, is the front seating area of the S5 literally the same as the A4/S4? Seating position etc? Obviously the interiors look identical.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mik posted:

Has anyone gone from an 8v A3/S3 to an A5/S5 Sportback? I want to trade in my S3 for an S5 but cannot visit the closest dealer due to COVID restrictions, and want to know from other peoples experience how much roomier the cabin feels, if at all. Obviously the cargo is much better, but is the front seating area appreciably roomier? Secondly, is the front seating area of the S5 literally the same as the A4/S4? Seating position etc? Obviously the interiors look identical.
I went from S4 -> A3 -> S5 -> RS 5

The cabin is a bit roomier but the biggest difference is in the back seats. The S5 is wider so that’s where you notice it the most.

Yes, the front A5/S5 seating position is the same as the A4/S4. The rear seating is different due to the A5/S5 being a coupe or sportback.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

I went from S4 -> A3 -> S5 -> RS 5

The cabin is a bit roomier but the biggest difference is in the back seats. The S5 is wider so that’s where you notice it the most.

Yes, the front A5/S5 seating position is the same as the A4/S4. The rear seating is different due to the A5/S5 being a coupe or sportback.

The S5 is notably lower seating than the S4 and the roof line is lower also. I’m sure you get used to it but I was much more comfortable sitting in and getting I and out of an S4 than an S5. There is also more room in the back seat of an S4 than an S5.

The cockpit is pretty much the same otherwise.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Aw poo poo guys, I just got a 2014 S4 with 48k on it sent on my way from Carvana. It's a DSG car in Estoril Blue. I've been eying a B8.5 for a while and finally found a good color/Combo/price. What do I need to look out for or check first? I've got a line on a good independent VAG shop in my area and thinking of having them check it out while it's in the Carvana trial. Give me advice German car experts!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MunchE posted:

Aw poo poo guys, I just got a 2014 S4 with 48k on it sent on my way from Carvana. It's a DSG car in Estoril Blue. I've been eying a B8.5 for a while and finally found a good color/Combo/price. What do I need to look out for or check first? I've got a line on a good independent VAG shop in my area and thinking of having them check it out while it's in the Carvana trial. Give me advice German car experts!

Ohhh I’m also on the hunt for something similar so keen to hear.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't think there were any big issues with the B8.5. Audi addressed a lot of the issues of the B8 with the update. Maybe have the shop check to see if it has a tune or check the flash counter to see if it's ever been tuned.

If you're into it, the APR stage 2+ tune, transmission tune, throttle body upgrade, cooler, pulley upgrade, freer flowing air filter, and intake tube will run you about $4,000 and will have the car putting out about 500 HP.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
A month ago I bought a 2018 VW Golf, 1.8T TSI manual (originally was planning for a GTI, but a TSI will do for now). Since I have a 20+ year gap in driving a manual, I was pretty much a total noob. I've been working on and improving in the dark arts of it and I'm getting better. But, one dragon's head is still rearing after all this time: going smoothly from 1st gear into 2nd gear. It seems to me that if I get up to 3K RPMs in the 1st gear, when I shift into 2nd it takes a bit to for the RPM to come down. If I let go of the clutch too soon/late it jerks me. I have to somehow get it just right. If I am driving uphill it's even worse, since the speed drops but the RPMs don't and I just have to let go of the clutch to not end up going into 2nd at 15KM/h.

I plan today to find some parking lot in the town to practice this specific thing, but I was wondering if I'm missing something. You guys who know VW engines and transmissions maybe have suggestions? The other gears have gotten better, this 1st to 2nd shift is, for now, still a mistery.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Seems a bit odd to me, I don't think there's much of a rev hang in my '19 alltrack although I believe the tuning is somewhat different and the gearbox is not the same. I think it's probably a matter of timing and practice, but if you can take a short video showing the rev hang that might be helpful.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
I also just picked up a 2015 S4 in Volcano Red. Its got the DSG with 46K mi. I just took it in and got the PVC valve replaced (it was consuming oil) and while they were in there did a walnut blast on the valves. Also, another while your in there, they did the thermostat. The B8.5 got the updated PVC and water pump and should be reliable for a while, just look out for coolant loss. I also plan to do a DSG and rear diff (sport diff) service by 50K just to make sure. FCP Euro has some really good videos on the service and maintenance on these vehicles with recommended services. Also FCP Euro has lifetime replacement warranty on their parts, yes even consumables such as spark plugs and brake pads. I don't know how they do that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Seems a bit odd to me, I don't think there's much of a rev hang in my '19 alltrack although I believe the tuning is somewhat different and the gearbox is not the same. I think it's probably a matter of timing and practice, but if you can take a short video showing the rev hang that might be helpful.

A video may be a challenge as I don't know how could I even hold the phone so that it can show the tachometer. But I'll try. But probably you're right, it will just get some practice to get the timing right.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Likely the implementation of dual mass flywheels everywhere now that wasn't as prevalent 20 years back. Practice but some of it may just be learning to shift around it if it bugs you.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Likely the implementation of dual mass flywheels everywhere now that wasn't as prevalent 20 years back. Practice but some of it may just be learning to shift around it if it bugs you.

The car I learned to drive and drove for a bit 20 years ago was my dads that was 20 year old car at the time (has since changed it). Which was based on a Renault design from the 60s, probably not updated much. So we're talking at least 40 years of technology differences. While I have no idea what "dual-mass flywheel" even means, it would be a safe assumption that that car didn't have it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Volguus posted:

A month ago I bought a 2018 VW Golf, 1.8T TSI manual (originally was planning for a GTI, but a TSI will do for now). Since I have a 20+ year gap in driving a manual, I was pretty much a total noob. I've been working on and improving in the dark arts of it and I'm getting better. But, one dragon's head is still rearing after all this time: going smoothly from 1st gear into 2nd gear. It seems to me that if I get up to 3K RPMs in the 1st gear, when I shift into 2nd it takes a bit to for the RPM to come down. If I let go of the clutch too soon/late it jerks me. I have to somehow get it just right. If I am driving uphill it's even worse, since the speed drops but the RPMs don't and I just have to let go of the clutch to not end up going into 2nd at 15KM/h.

I plan today to find some parking lot in the town to practice this specific thing, but I was wondering if I'm missing something. You guys who know VW engines and transmissions maybe have suggestions? The other gears have gotten better, this 1st to 2nd shift is, for now, still a mistery.

I've got a 2017 Golf TSI too, and I'm not the smoothest shifter, but I'll take a crack. One thing is I think I typically do that shift a little earlier than 3K, say maybe 2.5K or even 2K if I'm on city streets. I really don't pay much attention to the tach though and try to listen and feel for when I should shift instead. I think the shift points are going to change based on how aggressive you are with the acceleration in any given situation too, so I think at some point you have to focus more on the feel than the numbers (could just be me though, I've really never been a numbers person). Another is really trying to do things stepwise. Push the clutch all the way in, then shift, then ease on the throttle as you ease off the clutch. The 1-2 shift is definitely a hard one to keep smooth, but sticking to some basic principles like those help me.

Coming from a ratty Honda Fit, the shifting really was different but I've gotten used to it now. I think you'll get the hang of it too, but it does take some practice.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This showed up on my FB feed... :tinfoil:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1128840_modern-manual-transmissions-have-a-problem

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I had a manual 2019 GTI with lots of rev hang. This video does a good job of explaining the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm6SSeLivqE

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Volguus posted:

I know this is an issue with GTIs that commonly gets modded, so probably applies 1.8ts too. They put in a clutch delay valve, so there's a disconnect between when you left off the clutch and when it actually engages that for me caused a lot of clunkiness between 1st and 2nd. Though I think if you were having an issue with that you'd be low on revs between 1st and 2nd.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for the help everyone. Yes, practice will essentially make it hopefully flawless (if for anything, but for the good of the engine and transmission). With a bit of practice today I think I got better, but on the street with cars on my back ...it's a hit or miss. I hurry, and sometimes I shift fine and other wise I just miss it. Oh well.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Golfs have tachs now? When did that start?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
In case anyone was curious, a B9 S4 will be well over 60 when it hits the red line in 2nd gear.*

*I was curious. Also, it sounds really cool. Yes, I know the peak power is much lower.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mik posted:

Alternatively, there are still several 2019 RS 5s sitting on dealer lots. My dealer was in Montreal but they covered the cost of a closed transport truck to ship my car to Toronto. I’m sure you could get one for the price of a new S5.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

Golfs have tachs now? When did that start?

The GTI have had Tachs since the 80s, and honestly I cannot recall a single Golf that DIDN'T have a tach when I got in.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

The GTI have had Tachs since the 80s, and honestly I cannot recall a single Golf that DIDN'T have a tach when I got in.

I had an 83 Rabbit that had a 4 speed manual with no tach. Just a clock in its place. It had a shift light that burned out within about a year of me driving it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antisodachrist posted:

I had an 83 Rabbit that had a 4 speed manual with no tach. Just a clock in its place. It had a shift light that burned out within about a year of me driving it.

Yeah, the Rabbits did that, I had a Jetta 1.6D that did the same thing. But I think they stopped doing that late 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Speaking of B8.5 S4s, I'm selling mine. I listed it on autozine only right now but I'd be happy to sell it to a goon for another thousand off the price there.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/923743-2013-B8-5-S4-Volcano-Red-Metallic-6MT-Sports-Diff-86k-Miles-Bay-Area-CA