Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

bacterial slime mats will inherit the earth

They're literally already running the planet into the ground though? They just took the Amerikkkan presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

Verdant planets are for dumbfucks

Let's just tip this fucker over

Earth circa 1800: verdant planet, mild weather, abundant resources, sentinels placid.

Earth circa 2020: inferno planet, toxic storms, scarce resources, sentinels aggressive.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ghost Cactus posted:

I enjoy that he doesnt seem himself as a doomer but he welcomed his child into the world with “hope you don’t get shot or starve” - like dude, that’s pretty doomerish.

Here’s another way humans have broken entire food chains: https://www.hakaimagazine.com/features/the-oceans-mysterious-vitamin-deficiency/

Hell yeah that's the kind of doomsday posting I am here for

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
If all these marine species really wanted to survive they would learn to eat plastic.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ghost Cactus posted:

I enjoy that he doesnt seem himself as a doomer but he welcomed his child into the world with “hope you don’t get shot or starve” - like dude, that’s pretty doomerish.

Here’s another way humans have broken entire food chains: https://www.hakaimagazine.com/features/the-oceans-mysterious-vitamin-deficiency/

big opportunity for a thiamine credit market

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
wrong thread

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ghost Cactus posted:

That's just the normal way Americans welcome their children into the world.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ghost Cactus posted:

hell yeah lets dump b1 into the rivers

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Junkozeyne posted:

If all these marine species really wanted to survive they would learn to eat plastic.

It's the next stage in evolution baby!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

blatman posted:

my climate change plan:

nah

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Glad they've begun omitting the Obvious Plant logo.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

How long before we get our first "It snowed so global warming isn't real." political cartoon this year?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bert Roberge posted:

How long before we get our first "It snowed so global warming isn't real." political cartoon this year?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I assume that is Ramirez but the artist didn't want to get sued because they weren't sure if hacky political cartoonist is a public enough figure to hide behind parody law?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I sincerely hope there's violent extinctionist groups in the near future that successfully destroy any adaptation or migration strategies end state civilization comes up with. Humanity should perish on this tomb world we built for ourselves and the rest of complex life. The 1500 gigaton noose homo sapiens weaved over the last few centuries will not be denied.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Tekne posted:

I sincerely hope there's violent extinctionist groups in the near future that successfully destroy any adaptation or migration strategies end state civilization comes up with. Humanity should perish on this tomb world we built for ourselves and the rest of complex life. The 1500 gigaton noose homo sapiens weaved over the last few centuries will not be denied.

ah yes, the "newb doomer" special

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Tekne posted:

yes, it's called the united states government

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Laterite posted:

yes, it's called the united states government

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

Tekne posted:

Lmao

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Take consolation that as populations die off money will lose all meaning and the rich will have to come up with increasingly novel incentives for their gatherers and enforcers, if they haven't completely automated their resource gathering and enforcement.

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Wrap it up doomers Biden solved climate change

I used to intern for a government lab that studied Climate Change and a moment that really stuck with me was when they pulled us all in for a lab-wide meeting, gave brief reports on grants/important research projects, and then the assistant director or whatever started going on and on about ~Our Brand~ and how his big idea was to incorporate ~Data Science~ as the shell surrounding our logo. Motherfucker oozed “Corporate Ladder Climber” and I realized we were essentially putting the fate of the planet into his hands and the hands of people like him, lol

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bert Roberge posted:

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1356281988404146177

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Tekne posted:

hello friend have you heard the good word of ecodestructionalist accelerationism? throw open the oil wells and dump bitumen onto the reefs. full steam ahead as we create such a fantastic conflagration that it engulfs us in our entirety. let us coat every inch of the planet with our filth such that it will consume us and leave even the nearest orbital bodies untarred by our malign influence.

Sing Along has issued a correction as of 10:10 on Feb 2, 2021

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Sing Along posted:

hello friend have you heard the good word of ecodestructionalist accelerationism? throw open the oil wells and dump bitumen onto the reefs. full steam ahead as we create such a fantastic conflagration that it engulfs us in our entirety. let us coat every inch of the planet with our filth such that it will consume us and leave even the nearest orbital bodies untarred by our malign influence.

So what you're saying is we don't need to do anything except sit back and relax

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sing Along posted:

this is referred to by the ipcc as the "business as usual" scenario

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

Shima Honnou posted:

So what you're saying is we don't need to do anything except sit back and relax

"Party yourself, and face to die.' -Andrew WK

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

it really owns how literally everything we do is just relentlessly deep dicking all these millennia old systems, nature absolutely btfo get wrecked bitch

It's funny watching all these old 80s cartoons where pollution is this anthropomorphized evil savagely attacking nature and realize in 2021 a lot of people are hooting and hollering rooting for evil and if you disagree you hate jobs or somesuch horseshit

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tekne posted:

i recently watched this movie about humanities final salvation in this one final space ship heading to...somewhere. one of the crew is part of some cult that doesn't think humanity should continue and he sabotages the effort by releasing some sort of zombie plague amongst the crew. bruce willis was one of the crew.

anyway, the point is that we're definitely going to see some real poo poo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you talking about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gerLMlPWwQ0

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Man lol that article.

Peter seems dopey and Sharon is such an obvious liberal denialist. The fact that they aren't training their kids in infiltration tactics and guerilla warfare says it all.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Tekne posted:

"i hope there's no way out of it for us!" yells man after the car has already sped off the cliff.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

ah yes, the "newb doomer" special

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The funniest thing will be when the remaining elite concentrate on flying away in a rocket ship and die alone in the cold uncaring vacuum of space lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Could you imagine if we lived in a solar system where instead of Mars, there was a legit second earth just like ours but unspoiled by humanity?

It would be around now that we'd finally have the ability to go and land on it and there'd be virtually no environmentalism here because we'd (by which I mean billionaires) "have a spare"

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

How To Interpret a Climate Change Model In Two Easy Steps: 1. find the upper bound 2. it's worse than that, lol

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-02/sea-levels-are-rising-faster-than-most-pessimistic-forecasts

quote:

Sea Levels Are Rising Faster Than Most Pessimistic Forecasts

The researchers built on the United Nation’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s models, many of which only consider the last 150 years, by incorporating data going back several centuries. The new observations show about a half-meter of sea rise by the end of the century can now be expected with just a 0.5 degree Celsius rise in temperatures. Oceans could rise more than 1 meter at 2 degrees Celsius, a trajectory that will be easily passed under current climate policies.

“The models we are basing our predictions of sea-level rise on presently are not sensitive enough,” Grinsted said. “To put it plainly, they don’t hit the mark when we compare them to the rate of sea-level rise we see when comparing future scenarios with observations going back in time.”

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The worst case scenario is the best we can hope for

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Could you imagine if we lived in a solar system where instead of Mars, there was a legit second earth just like ours but unspoiled by humanity?

It would be around now that we'd finally have the ability to go and land on it and there'd be virtually no environmentalism here because we'd (by which I mean billionaires) "have a spare"

Well good news, were already doing that but we don't got a spare

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Newb?! I’ve been posting in these climate threads for years. As others have already pointed out, whether or not violent doomists ever pop up is irrelevant when the goose is already cooked. You’re not going to notice a few extra drops of hot sauce on a ghost pepper. It will be very funny tho.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Spime Wrangler posted:

How To Interpret a Climate Change Model In Two Easy Steps: 1. find the upper bound 2. it's worse than that, lol

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-02/sea-levels-are-rising-faster-than-most-pessimistic-forecasts
Scrolling down a bit from this, I see some excellent news for the optimists to brag about! Joe Biden is preparing to put the full and unlimited might of the United States government to work combating climate change

refugees.

quote:

With warming temperature playing a role in everything from mass migrations (see Central America and the U.S. southern border) to civil war (see Syria), climate change has been a factor in national security for decades.

This week the U.S. finally got with the program. Among the many climate-related executive orders President Joe Biden signed on Wednesday was one directing the federal government to make climate change an integral part of its foreign and national security policy.

What does that mean, exactly? Among other things, the order called for the preparation of a National Intelligence Estimate on the threat climate change poses to U.S. security. NIEs are formal, classified assessments of major security questions, incorporating intelligence from 18 agencies including the Central Intelligence Agency and the year-old Space Force. These are compiled several times a year to answer such questions as how much to worry about transnational organized crime and whether Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.

[...]

It also has legs. “Once that assessment gets done, it is the basis for policy-making for a good chunk of time,” Morton said. Smaller climate assessments done for the Department of Defense are already playing a role in deciding whether to fortify naval bases at risk from rising seas and informing policing strategy in the Arctic now that warming has made it more attractive to U.S. adversaries including China and Russia.

[...]

“National security bodies talk in foreboding terms of waves of migration that could overwhelm nation states saying that the military will need to be prepared,” Buxton added. “In this way the most vulnerable in the world are not only victims of climate change, but now threats too.”

lol we're gonna be arguing over drones and machine guns vs nukes before 2030

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Complications posted:

Scrolling down a bit from this, I see some excellent news for the optimists to brag about! Joe Biden is preparing to put the full and unlimited might of the United States government to work combating climate change

refugees.

lol we're gonna be arguing over drones and machine guns vs nukes before 2030

Millions upon millions of people in developing nations are going to die, and we’ve known that for decades now.