Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

yes i agree we need to immediately socialize large swaths of the healthcare industry so that americans are not reliant on cheap chinese drugs and overseas visits for surgery and healthcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

"you know that the nazis weren't as bad as stalin right"

"hey why are you saying that i'm a nazi sympathizer"

the classic scratched lib one-two combo

no you see all those Russians that the Germans killed were not Bolsheviks, so my assertion that Stalin killed more Bolsheviks than the Nazis did is technically correct

it's like doing the 600 + 1,400 = 2,000 bit, except for 27 million human lives snuffed-out by fascism

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 10:55 on Feb 2, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i'm not exactly a bernie cheerleader anymore after he bent the knee yet again but fuckin lmao at this holy poo poo i hate liberals

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

no you see all those Russians that the Germans killed were not Bolsheviks, so claim my assertion that Stalin killed more Bolsheviks than the Nazis did is technically correct

it's like doing the 600 + 1,400 = 2,000 bit, except for 27 million human lives snuffed-out by fascism

actually it's "og bolsheviks" now, please keep up with the moving goalposts

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 10:56 on Feb 2, 2021

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
it’s really problematic to get killed by Stalin because he was fighting the Nazis. it might even be called antisemitic to be killed by Stalin

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
that’s not a sarcastic pro-Nazi post though I just had the thought “it’s actually antisemitic to get killed by Stalin” banging around my skull

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pirate Radar posted:

that’s not a sarcastic pro-Nazi post though

oh phew you had me worried

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

actually it's "og bolsheviks" now, please keep up with the moving goalposts

The only goalposts that are moving the ones by the people who can't have any discussion of Stalin's actions without shoehorning in WW2 to make inexplicable accusations of Nazi-sympathising

Though if being on the right side of World War 2 (reluctantly, after your non-agression pact with the Nazis is betrayed and you're forced into the war flat footed) is enough to cleanse any other sins I'm curious what you guys make of Winston Churchill

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

multijoe posted:

Though if being on the right side of World War 2 (reluctantly, after your non-agression pact with the Nazis is betrayed and you're forced into the war flat footed)

lmao so you know jack poo poo about WWII as well

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

The only goalposts that are moving the ones by the people who can't have any discussion of Stalin's actions without shoehorning in WW2 to make inexplicable accusations of Nazi-sympathising

Though if being on the right side of World War 2 (reluctantly, after your non-agression pact with the Nazis is betrayed and you're forced into the war flat footed) is enough to cleanse any other sins I'm curious what you guys make of Winston Churchill

lmao you're the one who brought up stalin in the first place you world-class dingus, you don't get to start whining about other people supposedly not wanting to discuss him

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

indigi posted:

lmao so you know jack poo poo about WWII as well

We went over this before! Russia was developing a domestic economy strategy at the time and was completely blindsided and unprepared for a Nazi attack

But as, y'know, you can just invoke fighting the Nazis as a catch all defence against any historical crimes I would like to know what you make of Winston Churchill

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

multijoe posted:

We went over this before! Russia was developing a domestic economy strategy at the time and was completely blindsided and unprepared for a Nazi attack

But as, y'know, you can just invoke fighting the Nazis as a catch all defence against any historical crimes I would like to know what you make of Winston Churchill

you’re an idiot with delusions of mediocrity

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
when this thread kills me someone call up Victims of Communism and tell them to add me to the list

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

you’re an idiot with delusions of mediocrity

It seems to be you don't want to answer the question. Because if you said Churchill was a monster despite being on the right side of WW2 then you couldn't defend Stalin by being in it either, and then we'd have to go back to the original point of why you're celebrating the guy who murdered most of the original Bolshevik leadership without nonsensical accusations of Nazi sympathy.

Just my two cents anyways, who knows :rolleyes:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

multijoe posted:

It seems to be you don't want to answer the question. Because if you said Churchill was a monster despite being on the right side of WW2 then you couldn't defend Stalin by being in it either, and then we'd have to go back to the original point of why you're celebrating the guy who murdered most of the original Bolshevik leadership without nonsensical accusations of Nazi sympathy.

please refer to my previous email

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's always nice to have some fresh homegrown content here. support your local bewildering lib takes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

please refer to my previous email

If you were being honest with yourself or others it would be a very simple question to answer, you should think about why no one can give a straight response to it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if Stalin killing more Bolsheviks than he did Nazis makes him bad, by extension Churchill killing even fewer Nazis than Stalin did means Churchill still sucks regardless

QED

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

how does hating the poo poo out of Indians alter the Churchill spectrum

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

how does hating the poo poo out of Indians alter the Churchill spectrum

isn't that the entire churchill spectrum

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

isn't that the entire churchill spectrum

he also gassed Arabs and invaded Soviet Russia, so plenty of hate to go around

hell, with over 2,000 Bolsheviks dead over the Allied landings at Arkhangelsk, who's to say he didn't kill more of them than Stalin did regardless. There couldn't have been that many "OG leaders"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

he also gassed Arabs and invaded Soviet Russia, so plenty of hate to go around

hell, with over 2,000 Bolsheviks dead over the Allied landings at Arkhangelsk, who's to say he didn't kill more of them than Stalin did regardless. There couldn't have been that many "OG leaders"

The point I am trying to guide you towards is you should not try and determine if an act of mass murder is bad or not by whether it was committed by your team or not. Stalin was a paranoid madman who murdered or enslaved hundreds of thousands of communist party members, its perverse to write those off because the Nazis invaded his country or that he was 'anti-imperialist'

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
I, as a grandchild of Karelian survivor, can't quite get the blind support of the Russian imperialist who purged Karelians, Ingrians and Estonians, defeated he the nazies or not.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

multijoe posted:

The point I am trying to guide you towards is you should not try and determine if an act of mass murder is bad or not by whether it was committed by your team or not. Stalin was a paranoid madman who murdered or enslaved hundreds of thousands of communist party members, its perverse to write those off because the Nazis invaded his country or that he was 'anti-imperialist'

I only respect this level of lib take if it also classifies Barack Obama as a paranoid madman for murdering citizens merely on suspicion, based on the recommendations of his intelligence apparatus. And for "enslaving" thousands upon thousands more! (We're talking about official mainstream prison systems both utilizing full-time forced labor with the professed goal of rehabilitation, so it's not apples to oranges at all!) I'd wager that Stalin's "slaves" got fairer trials on average than Obama's (since Obama's mostly didn't get a trial at all). 47 million Americans are official Democratic party members, so statistically it's very likely that a huge amount of his victims were party members!

Stalin is fondly remembered by millions of people for the exact same reasons as Obama is: he represents what they consider bygone better times for the country, which ultimately excuses the things he did in their minds. Same as with countless other murdering, torturing, enslaving figures. Historically significant and celebrated revolutionary/rebel leaders, whether communist, liberal, religious or peasant, tend to be at least two out of three.

What I'm saying is that almost everyone in the world "tries and determines if an act of mass murder is bad or not by whether it was committed by their team or not", and that's not a new phenomenon either, so you need an actual argument for why not to do the same. There's no basis to treat it as if it were a common sense given that needs no explanation. I believe there are teams that can commit mass murder in at least an excusable way, tell me why I should change my mind!

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

multijoe posted:

churchill wasn’t on the right side of ww2, the ussr singlehandedly beat the nazis, the uk and us came in at the end to save talented nazis and put them in important positions in NASA and NATO and the west German government.

please learn a tiny bit about what happened to your nazi pals, your ap world class is not the be all end all of history.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

uncop posted:

I only respect this level of lib take if it also classifies Barack Obama as a paranoid madman for murdering citizens merely on suspicion, based on the recommendations of his intelligence apparatus. And for "enslaving" thousands upon thousands more! (We're talking about official mainstream prison systems both utilizing full-time forced labor with the professed goal of rehabilitation, so it's not apples to oranges at all!) I'd wager that Stalin's "slaves" got fairer trials on average than Obama's (since Obama's mostly didn't get a trial at all). 47 million Americans are official Democratic party members, so statistically it's very likely that a huge amount of his victims were party members!

Stalin is fondly remembered by millions of people for the exact same reasons as Obama is: he represents what they consider bygone better times for the country, which ultimately excuses the things he did in their minds. Same as with countless other murdering, torturing, enslaving figures. Historically significant and celebrated revolutionary/rebel leaders, whether communist, liberal, religious or peasant, tend to be at least two out of three.

What I'm saying is that almost everyone in the world "tries and determines if an act of mass murder is bad or not by whether it was committed by their team or not", and that's not a new phenomenon either, so you need an actual argument for why not to do the same. There's no basis to treat it as if it were a common sense given that needs no explanation. I believe there are teams that can commit mass murder in at least an excusable way, tell me why I should change my mind!

https://twitter.com/realPhoenixFire...ingawful.com%2F

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

uninterrupted posted:

churchill wasn’t on the right side of ww2, the ussr singlehandedly beat the nazis, the uk and us came in at the end to save talented nazis and put them in important positions in NASA and NATO and the west German government.

please learn a tiny bit about what happened to your nazi pals, your ap world class is not the be all end all of history.

denazification was a joke

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you're going to post some well ackshually moron poo poo in the hot takes thread you could at least, at least, have the minimal loving decency to do Beria, ya bunch of jerkoffs

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

you know you're winning the argument when you're desperately begging people to bite on your gotcha question lmao

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

uncop posted:

I doubt Obama was driven by paranoia in the same way but the contempt for human life was identical. And why are you air-quoting 'slavery', hundreds of thousands of party members were given summary trials and either outright executed or shipped off to Siberia to be worked to death, it's an entirely accurate assessment. Or are you claiming those literal hundreds of thousands of party members were all reactionary imperialist-collaborators and really had it coming? Because that is the thing, a great deal of those deaths absolutely were not neccessary, if it were just Solzhenitsyn types who got chucked in the bin we wouldn't be having with conversation but Stalin betrayed communism and murdered any real or suspected political opposition inside his own movement to cement his own personal power, why celebrate the legacy of the one Soviet politican who did more than any other to ensure the USSR became the autocratic degenerated workers state it went on to become?

You did hit on a good point though, the weird Stalin nostalgia is very reminicsent of resistance libs who remember the blessed Obama years where the US enacted its monsterous global military and economic policies with dignity and decorum. Except it at least kind of makes sense when coming from from an actual Russian living in the ruins of the USSR, whereas it comes comes off as bugfuck insane to most people coming from a western IT worker posting memes of laser eyes Stalin

Goatson posted:

I, as a grandchild of Karelian survivor, can't quite get the blind support of the Russian imperialist who purged Karelians, Ingrians and Estonians, defeated he the nazies or not.

It's kind of weird isn't it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

you know you're winning the argument when you're desperately begging people to bite on your gotcha question lmao

Unironically yes, otherwise you'd be throwing the counterargument back in my smug loving face. But you can't, because it holds water and 'if you criticise Stalin WHO FOUGHT THE NAZIS then you're a Nazi' doesn't

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
lol are you seriously trying to argue that people not wanting to engage with your self-admitted bad faith bullshit makes you the winner?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can you all stfu

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

E:

Jose posted:

can you all stfu

Yeah this is getting stupid and circular, I'm out

No Dignity has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Feb 2, 2021

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

multijoe posted:

I doubt Obama was driven by paranoia in the same way but the contempt for human life was identical. And why are you air-quoting 'slavery', hundreds of thousands of party members were given summary trials and either outright executed or shipped off to Siberia to be worked to death, it's an entirely accurate assessment. Or are you claiming those literal hundreds of thousands of party members were all reactionary imperialist-collaborators and really had it coming? Because that is the thing, a great deal of those deaths absolutely were not neccessary, if it were just Solzhenitsyn types who got chucked in the bin we wouldn't be having with conversation but Stalin betrayed communism and murdered any real or suspected political opposition inside his own movement to cement his own personal power, why celebrate the legacy of the one Soviet politican who did more than any other to ensure the USSR became the autocratic degenerated workers state it went on to become?

You did hit on a good point though, the weird Stalin nostalgia is very reminicsent of resistance libs who remember the blessed Obama years where the US enacted its monsterous global military and economic policies with dignity and decorum. Except it at least kind of makes sense when coming from from an actual Russian living in the ruins of the USSR, whereas it comes comes off as bugfuck insane to most people coming from a western IT worker posting memes of laser eyes Stalin

It's kind of weird isn't it

I quoted slavery because it's a pundit talking point that's open to debate and I don't endorse the claim. As far as I see, if penal labor is slavery, then conscript militaries must be slave armies. Even professional soldiers are unfree labor, servants instead of workers. The "to be worked to death" is also a pundit talking point, it makes the Soviet system sound like the Nazis (captured people in order to work them to death) instead of the French (sent political prisoners to be held at remote prison colonies where death was a likely outcome).

I hope I get where you're coming now: you're trot-adjacent, and if you aren't a hypocrite about that mass murder thing, one of those socdem type trots that Trotsky himself would have "shot out of hand" and thrown into a mass grave without thinking twice about it. Then, I think you should understand why people would take someone like Stalin seriously and even celebrate him. You have just drawn this arbitrary line like murdering vaguely rebellion-associated anarchists, SRs and Mensheviks doesn't tar one's character but murdering vaguely rebellion-associated Bolsheviks is a step too far. You can't believe that only Stalin was ordering professed leftists killed just in case, out of an informed paranoia, right?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/im_PULSE/status/1356621858599301125?s=20

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glenn’s right.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Of what benefit is an alliance with Ted Cruz?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you miss the part where she pledged to work with “good Republicans,” who all agree with Trump and Cruz and take the same positions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
So we agree she should be rejecting an alliance with Ted Cruz, but she should be rejecting an alliance with the rest of them as well.