Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

orangelex44 posted:

The card I still expect to get nerfed sooner or later is Tickatus.

Tickatus feels so bad to play against. Actually, the first Tickatus is all right, it's the second copy that breaks me, and makes me really mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

orangelex44 posted:

It's dumb, but not overbearing and many of the crucial pieces are rotating in a couple months. I think it stays.

It doesn't matter if the deck overall is overbearing (even though being on the cusp of Tier 0 I'd argue it is), but they've already set recent precidents on when a specific card (Imprisoned Scrap Imp), or the playstyle itself (Turtle Mage), is overbearing that it gets the nerf.

Cheese Paladin fits the first definition for sure. Statistically, Alura Turn 4 into Tip the Scales is way worse than Imprisoned Scrap Imp on 2 was.

The playstyle of having only early game + late game, and no midrange stuff is annoying but fine. However, the consistency of getting that ramp mana is startling in this deck, making Druids blush with envy. I'm pretty sure this is not what they wanted, and this aspect of the deck will be nerfed as well.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Glutes Are Great posted:

I'm curious, how do you guys ladder the best? Do you just try out one deck and go ahead, stick to it for many games no matter the success, do you build your own stuff and see how it goes or do you swap around to whatever is currently listed as best?

I'm having a surprisingly good time ignoring everything and just sticking to one deck forever and I'm wondering if I was too focused on listening to the internet in what to play n the past.

I generally have about 3 or 4 decks I enjoy playing and switch around depending on my mood, and I'm more likely to experiment when I'm at the 10 and 5 rank floors and tend to play what's strongest when I'm closer to rank 6 and 1.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GTO posted:

I tend to look on hsreplay for the best decks at d5-1 and then pick my favourites from there, and change decks whenever I get bored.

By the way, for anyone following the ramp palladium chat lately, this highlander version seems very strong:

### Custom Paladin2
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 1x (1) Aldor Attendant
# 1x (1) Animated Broomstick
# 1x (1) Grimscale Oracle
# 1x (1) Murmy
# 1x (1) Sphere of Sapience
# 1x (2) Bluegill Warrior
# 1x (2) Crabrider
# 1x (2) Murgur Murgurgle
# 1x (2) Redscale Dragontamer
# 1x (2) Sir Finley of the Sands
# 1x (2) Wandmaker
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Lord Barov
# 1x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 1x (3) Underlight Angling Rod
# 1x (3) Vulpera Scoundrel
# 1x (4) Felfin Navigator
# 1x (4) Fishy Flyer
# 1x (4) High Abbess Alura
# 1x (4) Nozdormu the Timeless
# 1x (5) Aldor Truthseeker
# 1x (5) Carousel Gryphon
# 1x (7) Libram of Judgment
# 1x (7) Strongman
# 1x (8) Tip the Scales
# 1x (9) Carnival Clown
# 1x (10) Darkmoon Rabbit
# 1x (10) N'Zoth, God of the Deep
# 1x (10) Scrapyard Colossus
# 1x (10) Y'Shaarj, the Defiler
#
AAECAZ8FHv4D4wWnCIOhA6WhA/yjA5upA8qrA4etA8m4A/u4A/y4A/24A+y5A/O7A5XNA4/OA5PQA8PRA/7RA4fUA5vYA/7bA/neA/zeA43hA73hA+bhA/3jA5HkAwAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

What’s the point of aldor attendant in this? Seems like a bad choice

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What’s the point of aldor attendant in this? Seems like a bad choice

ain't played the deck but I assume it's for the discount on the 7-mana weapon for easier corruption plus the usefulness of having a 1/3 on turn 1

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

If I buy the tavern pass do I get a retroactive pile of XP from the XP bonuses on the track?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

ain't played the deck but I assume it's for the discount on the 7-mana weapon for easier corruption plus the usefulness of having a 1/3 on turn 1

but the only card that the discount matters for is the single copy of strongman when it’s uncorrupted. Armor vendor is a much better choice for a 1 mana 1/3

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

World War Mammories posted:

I didn't make the deck but yeah I'd agree with this.

I don't think the archetype is completely ridiculous by the way, it's definitely beatable. Looking at hsreplay for d4-1 6 of the top 18 builds are varianta of it but there are 7 other archetypes in there, all with a winrate of 57-62%.

When the really broken demon hunter and shaman galakrond decks were around and got quickly nerfed they were pushing high 60s.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

If I buy the tavern pass do I get a retroactive pile of XP from the XP bonuses on the track?

From what I have heard, no.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

but the only card that the discount matters for is the single copy of strongman when it’s uncorrupted. Armor vendor is a much better choice for a 1 mana 1/3

aldor truthseeker's in there too

e: well I guess that means the only card that corrupts the libram that otherwise wouldn't is carousel gryphon. idk swap out what you like, I don't own half those cards anyway :v:

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Making your 5/3 weapon cheaper to cast is a good goal in and of itself, the corrupt effect is just gravy.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
The Sylvanas fight on Anduin's book of hero adventure is seriously stupid. Just like slamming a door repeatedly into your dick.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Olpainless posted:

The Sylvanas fight on Anduin's book of hero adventure is seriously stupid. Just like slamming a door repeatedly into your dick.

Really? I only had trouble with Velen. Sylvanas was kind of tough but you get so many recurring legendary minions you just kind of power through it all eventually.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Am I going to get a new hero portrait or whatver from the solo poo poo or is it just extra dust?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Amoeba102 posted:

I just play the decks I like, sometimes whatever I have a quest for. So far that means mostly Spell only mage, or now since DMF Spell C'thun Mage.

What decklist do you use for this? I'm looking for a fun mage deck to work towards golden (don't care about win rate as long as it isn't abysmal) and love C'thun. I'm using the following list but it doesn't have enough draw for C'thun, so it just ends up being 4 decent spells that don't have much of a payoff in the long run since I either win or lose before then.

### C'thun Mage
# Class: Mage
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Font of Power
# 2x (1) Learn Draconic
# 2x (1) Ray of Frost
# 2x (2) Ancient Mysteries
# 1x (2) Evocation
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Incanter's Flow
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 1x (3) Combustion
# 2x (3) Flame Ward
# 2x (3) Ice Barrier
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 2x (5) Apexis Blast
# 1x (5) Rolling Fireball
# 1x (6) Blizzard
# 2x (8) Power of Creation
# 1x (10) C'Thun, the Shattered
# 1x (10) The Amazing Reno
#
AAECAc/6AwbJA+yvA4y2A8W4A5TRA7/gAwy7AqsE7QSWBZ+bA6CbA7+kA/SrA/GvA8G4A4y5A4G/AwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

Am I going to get a new hero portrait or whatver from the solo poo poo or is it just extra dust?

You get a pack of cards that are all from the class that you did the solo adventure for. I also feel like they have a higher legendary chance than usual but I probably just got lucky (2 legendaries from 5 packs). You gotta buy the portrait.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

this is what I'm playing, thoughts? I experimented a bit with Deck of Lunacy but it feels far too inconsistent and the only time where it's really good is against Bomb Warrior

### Spell-tacular!
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 1x (1) Arcane Missiles
# 1x (1) Devolving Missiles
# 2x (1) Font of Power
# 2x (1) Learn Draconic
# 2x (1) Magic Trick
# 1x (2) Ancient Mysteries
# 2x (2) Conjure Mana Biscuit
# 1x (2) Evocation
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Incanter's Flow
# 1x (3) Counterspell
# 1x (3) Flame Ward
# 2x (3) Ice Barrier
# 2x (3) Netherwind Portal
# 1x (3) Rigged Faire Game
# 1x (4) Fireball
# 2x (5) Apexis Blast
# 1x (8) Deep Freeze
#
AAECAf0ECnG7ArQEv6QD9KsDxbgD3sQD4MwDv+ADkeEDCqsE7QSWBf+dA/GvA8G4A8K4A4y5A4G/A4XkAwA=
#

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

What decklist do you use for this? I'm looking for a fun mage deck to work towards golden (don't care about win rate as long as it isn't abysmal) and love C'thun. I'm using the following list but it doesn't have enough draw for C'thun, so it just ends up being 4 decent spells that don't have much of a payoff in the long run since I either win or lose before then.

### C'thun Mage
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Font of Power
# 2x (1) Learn Draconic
# 2x (1) Ray of Frost
# 2x (2) Ancient Mysteries
# 1x (2) Evocation
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Incanter's Flow
# 1x (3) Combustion
# 2x (3) Flame Ward
# 2x (3) Ice Barrier
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 2x (5) Apexis Blast
# 1x (5) Rolling Fireball
# 1x (6) Blizzard
# 2x (8) Power of Creation
#
AAECAc/6AwbJA+yvA4y2A8W4A5TRA7/gAwy7AqsE7QSWBZ+bA6CbA7+kA/SrA/GvA8G4A4y5A4G/AwA=
#

I found Ancient Mysteries a bit wasted sometimes for me because I didn't go heavy on secrets directly - Ring Toss corrupted is really great. Polymorph was mainly for the libram paladins. From a thematic perspective, I wanted to have Mask of C'thun in there as well. I've felt Bizzard was good for stalling, and Reno is another possible way to save your hide. It may not be a great deck, but it's what I like. C'thun barely gets played though.
I haven't gone for mana biscuits yet, I often haven't felt like I've needed more mana except maybe really early - I suppose biscuits on 2 to let me Apexis blast on 3 would be about the extent of the need.

### C'thun Mage
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Font of Power
# 2x (1) Learn Draconic
# 2x (1) Magic Trick
# 2x (1) Ray of Frost
# 1x (2) Evocation
# 1x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Incanter's Flow
# 1x (3) Flame Ward
# 1x (3) Ice Barrier
# 1x (3) Rigged Faire Game
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 1x (4) Polymorph
# 2x (4) Ring Toss
# 2x (5) Apexis Blast
# 2x (6) Blizzard
# 2x (7) Mask of C'Thun
#
AAECAcz6AwhN7QSWBb+kA4y2A8W4A7/gA5HhAwu7AskDqwSfmwP/nQPxrwPBuAOMuQOBvwP73QPr3gMA
#

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 2, 2021

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Mana biscuit refreshes so you can't ramp with it. Devolving missiles might be better than polymorph? You whiff sometimes but poly isnt great for tempo. That's a deck where you want to be doing something every turn.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

adamarama posted:

Mana biscuit refreshes so you can't ramp with it. Devolving missiles might be better than polymorph? You whiff sometimes but poly isnt great for tempo. That's a deck where you want to be doing something every turn.

Oh right, so biscuits doesn't work well for me unless with evocation.

Poly was added for libram denial. Devolving would work too, but I poly does have advantages later when with devolving you trade down one of their big minions for still a big minion.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah I run 1 x Devolving mainly for Libram Pally

Mana Biscuit I like because a) it's really good if you can get at least one Incanter's Flow down first b) there are so many Mage minions you can get from Font of Power that really combo well with casting a lot of spells in a turn c) it gives me a bit more reach on an Evocation turn (which I generally use either when my hand is basically empty or when I need face damage for lethal)

agree on C'Thun not really being a win condition, but the 4 spells are all kinda useful, especially the Maw

otherwise I run 1 Ancient Mysteries, usually playing it on 2 hoping to tutor either Flame Ward/Ice Barrier against aggro or Netherwind Portal/Rigged Faire Game against stall, or if I can I'll keep the 0 mana secret in hand for lots of possible combos with FoP minions

Deep Freeze is bad in quite a lot of matchups but it shuts down DH and Weapon Rogue hard

I did have Power of Creation in for a while but it felt like for every time I got lethal with Reckless Rocketeer or hand refill with the spellburst Dragon there were many more times where the best pick was like a vanilla 5/6

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the priest portrait is really stupid. it's a rogue. i get it, he trained with si7, but my immersion

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torrannor posted:

Tickatus feels so bad to play against. Actually, the first Tickatus is all right, it's the second copy that breaks me, and makes me really mad.

What are these mythical Tickatus decks that don't lose before turn 8?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The real reason mana biscuit is good is because it gives mage something to do turn 2 besides ping and ancient mysteries

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The real reason mana biscuit is good is because it gives mage something to do turn 2 besides ping and ancient mysteries

This makes me think, would +2 Mana innervate be not broken if it was "refresh 2 Mana crystals" like mana biscuit is?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Incanter's flow.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Glutes Are Great posted:

I'm curious, how do you guys ladder the best? Do you just try out one deck and go ahead, stick to it for many games no matter the success, do you build your own stuff and see how it goes or do you swap around to whatever is currently listed as best?

I'm having a surprisingly good time ignoring everything and just sticking to one deck forever and I'm wondering if I was too focused on listening to the internet in what to play in the past.

I used to do my dailies/laddering exclusively as Highlander Mage (control Rogue/Mage is my favourite archetype) but lately I've diversified into Pure/Duel Paladin, Secret/Whirlkick Rogue, and OTK Mage. I still check in on Highlander Mage though, and it looks like this is currently the top legend variant.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

L0cke17 posted:

This makes me think, would +2 Mana innervate be not broken if it was "refresh 2 Mana crystals" like mana biscuit is?

i think that would have been just fine. got to imagine it was either that or what we got for the nerf, and +1 mana crystal this turn fits the ramp idea more. it'd certainly give me a bit more leeway in apm otk druid/various auctioneer shenanigans...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
anyone else having the bug where the Battle.net launcher tells them the game is running when it's not?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

this always annoyed me a little, because refreshing spent mana is exactly what innervate :actually: did in wow

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
God I hate the start of ladder reset.
I primarily play in my lunch break, get in about 4-5 games a day.
Not won a single game since reset :(

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Well, I happened to notice I was only 3 legendaries off of a complete set of Darkmoon so I decided to get that last bundle...

5 packs in got the last legendary required, a few legendary duplicates (golden Ivory, regular Ey'sor when I already have golden) so that's a potential extra 3.2k dust ready to go in the 5k ish already around... and it means that for the first time ever, Darkmoon packs provide 100% guaranteed dust!

Kazakus is whispering to me.

Mr Beens posted:

God I hate the start of ladder reset.
I primarily play in my lunch break, get in about 4-5 games a day.
Not won a single game since reset :(

First few days and the last few days are the Tryharding season. I tend to save my high diamond/legend push for mid month and just take the early days to quickly get up to D5 floor.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Brawl is an easy win this week with auto concedes turn 1 if you play pogos.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

or patches

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Olpainless posted:

Well, I happened to notice I was only 3 legendaries off of a complete set of Darkmoon so I decided to get that last bundle...

5 packs in got the last legendary required, a few legendary duplicates (golden Ivory, regular Ey'sor when I already have golden) so that's a potential extra 3.2k dust ready to go in the 5k ish already around... and it means that for the first time ever, Darkmoon packs provide 100% guaranteed dust!

First few days and the last few days are the Tryharding season. I tend to save my high diamond/legend push for mid month and just take the early days to quickly get up to D5 floor.

My pro laddering tip - weekend evenings the standard of play is noticeably worse. Much easier to climb then.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Did this with druid, literally got embiggen and Mark of the Lotus as other cards in my hand.

I feel bad.

You really think that of any card, they'd have stopped Patches in this brawl.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 3, 2021

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

GTO posted:

My pro laddering tip - weekend evenings the standard of play is noticeably worse. Much easier to climb then.

Oh yeah, this is a genuine pro-tip.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I don't think 7 1/1s really match up to 16/16 in board stats by turn 3. Pogos would still win a turn earlier by 2 health.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
get your weekly tavern brawl 5 win quest done with pogos

in the mirror if you can get a betrayal or the rush weapon to control the board, otherwise go face

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Olpainless posted:

Give in. Reno Priest and Renolock are calling you to craft him!

The Wild card calling to me is Dr. Boom, Mad Genius so I can add Odd Warrior to my list of hate filled wild decks. Or just get a Sphere of Sapience to fine tune Renolock more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

The Wild card calling to me is Dr. Boom, Mad Genius

Even though it's not a really competitive archetype any more DBMG is still one of my favourite cards printed

he's just so fun!