Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

BrotherJayne posted:

he was the oldest and least fit crew member?

Yes, but he's also the one always pulling high-g manouvers, whilst heavily juiced and using skilled combat techniques.

But I suppose you could also perhaps argue the sheer amount of all that finally caught up with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Killing off Alex is great because they'll definitely have to have Bobbie join the crew to keep the Martian, Belter, Earther family thing going. I mean, it's not like she has anything to do now.

They should've did more work on Alex's death face. Maybe just have blood blasting out of his nose like in Sweet Home.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 3, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because the subtitles weren't working (wtf Amazon) I couldn't make out what Naomi was saying in her breathless whispers. What did she say right before she almost lost consciousness? "I'm sorry ... " something something.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
If I knew my enemy had unguided stealth missiles I too would use my fancy battleships as fixed position rocket barges.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Because the subtitles weren't working (wtf Amazon) I couldn't make out what Naomi was saying in her breathless whispers. What did she say right before she almost lost consciousness? "I'm sorry ... " something something.

"I'm sorry I called you a brave idiot" iirc

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Definitely the worst season even if the first 4 and last episode were pretty good. It honestly felt like the rest of this season was just filler.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Cas's pinnace got us into this mess, but Alex's pinnace got us out

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Owling Howl posted:

If I knew my enemy had unguided stealth missiles I too would use my fancy battleships as fixed position rocket barges.

Not even so much as the equivalent of a CAP or something. I know, no fighters, but not even a frigate wolfpack doing regular orbits of the location?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Beamed posted:

Definitely the worst season even if the first 4 and last episode were pretty good. It honestly felt like the rest of this season was just filler.

There were a lot of great episodes but ultimately none of it mattered. Still better than last season, though I could have used some Miller and protomolecule weirdness which was lacking.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Isometric Bacon posted:

This. Her last ditch attempt at throwing herself out the airlock, spiralling uncontrollably through space / subsequent rescue by Bobbie was so beautifully choreographed, and focusing on her face side on that entire scene was inspired. It made you feel equal posts vunerable as she spun out of control and safe as Bobby pulled her out of the spiral and supplied the oxygen.

It was also great because she basically resigns herself to dying but is using her last bits of oxygen to try communicate to Alex and Bobbie to not go anywhere near the ship.

Thundercracker posted:

Killing off Alex is great because they'll definitely have to have Bobbie join the crew to keep the Martian, Belter, Earther family thing going.

Isn't Bull a Martian?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If you think nothing mattered this season, you didn't pay attention.

-Earth is hosed. Most of the 30 billion people on Earth will die.
-Mars and the Belt rely a lot on Earth for food and live soil, etc. That's gonna trickle down.
-Marco is still out there, with a fairly impressive Navy, but now Earth, Mars, and at least part of the Belt are united.
-Let's just say it would be fair to liken Laconia to the White Walkers.
-But there's something WORSE than Laconia that's eating ships.

If it doesn't feel like there was resolution, well, it's an ongoing story. This season and next are essentially a two-parter. And that's not spoilers IMO, it should be obvious with the way it ends with Marco pitched against the rest of the Solar System, including the Roci together again (well, swap Alex for Clarissa and maybe Bull).

quote:

Isn't Bull a Martian?

No, he's an Earther. Served in the UNN with Fred Johnson.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 3, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

There were a lot of great episodes but ultimately none of it mattered. Still better than last season, though I could have used some Miller and protomolecule weirdness which was lacking.

Can you elaborate on "none of it mattered", because I feel like the status quo at the start of season 6 is going to be pretty loving different than it was at the start of season 5.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think this season would have fewer reactions of "Filler!" if we didn't already know that the entire show has to wrap up all its plot points in 10 episodes.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Seems the scriptwriters solved the Alex issue with a single stroke.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Thom12255 posted:

I think this season would have fewer reactions of "Filler!" if we didn't already know that the entire show has to wrap up all its plot points in 10 episodes.

I won't go into detail so as not to violate the cardinal rule, but it doesn't have to wrap up *all* of the plot points, because the authors/show writers have left the door open that they may do screen adaptations of the material after season six. If it happens, it's more likely to be a movie trilogy or something along those lines. It should feel like there's been some resolution though, hopefully.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Captain Splendid posted:

dude

dude

yikes

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Splendid posted:

Lol

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought the season was good. I thought the slow pace and small scale storytelling was refreshing. All the naomi stuff worked for me. Alex's death probably could have been handled better, there was pretty much no dramatic tension/buildup to that at all. All the season needed was a little Jared Harris and it would have been top tier.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

-Earth is hosed. Most of the 30 billion people on Earth will die. meh, Earth was never really important to the story of the main cast.
-Mars and the Belt rely a lot on Earth for food and live soil, etc. That's gonna trickle down. there's one season left it's not going to make much of a difference in the plot
-Marco is still out there, with a fairly impressive Navy, but now Earth, Mars, and at least part of the Belt are united. he sucks and is a walking trope who is just a drag
-Let's just say it would be fair to liken Laconia to the White Walkers. okay thanks for the spoiler. White Walkers were ultimately meaningless lmao.
-But there's something WORSE than Laconia that's eating ships. that's one interpretation of the short segment at the end of the last episode, unless you know something

I'm just going to assume from this post that you're a book reader who is looking past what was shown on screen this season because you have insight into other things that are going on and what will happen.

The whole season was a setup for next season clearly. However it should be able to stand on its own. There should be some sort of resolution besides putting everyone back on the same ship.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nail Rat posted:

-Earth is hosed. Most of the 30 billion people on Earth will die.
-Mars and the Belt rely a lot on Earth for food and live soil, etc. That's gonna trickle down.
-Marco is still out there, with a fairly impressive Navy, but now Earth, Mars, and at least part of the Belt are united.
-Let's just say it would be fair to liken Laconia to the White Walkers.
-But there's something WORSE than Laconia that's eating ships.

If it doesn't feel like there was resolution, well, it's an ongoing story. This season and next are essentially a two-parter. And that's not spoilers IMO, it should be obvious with the way it ends with Marco pitched against the rest of the Solar System, including the Roci together again (well, swap Alex for Clarissa and maybe Bull).

No, he's an Earther. Served in the UNN with Fred Johnson.

Not to be overlooked, Marco not controls the ring gate.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

-Earth is hosed. Most of the 30 billion people on Earth will die. meh, Earth was never really important to the story of the main cast.
-Mars and the Belt rely a lot on Earth for food and live soil, etc. That's gonna trickle down. there's one season left it's not going to make much of a difference in the plot
-Marco is still out there, with a fairly impressive Navy, but now Earth, Mars, and at least part of the Belt are united. he sucks and is a walking trope who is just a drag
-Let's just say it would be fair to liken Laconia to the White Walkers. okay thanks for the spoiler. White Walkers were ultimately meaningless lmao.
-But there's something WORSE than Laconia that's eating ships. that's one interpretation of the short segment at the end of the last episode, unless you know something

I'm just going to assume from this post that you're a book reader who is looking past what was shown on screen this season because you have insight into other things that are going on and what will happen.

The whole season was a setup for next season clearly. However it should be able to stand on its own. There should be some sort of resolution besides putting everyone back on the same ship.

I'm a TV-show only viewer, never touched the books, and I agree with you I hate every minute that Marco is on screen. Not in the "villain I love to hate" sense, but because he's just soooooo boring and one-note.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Owling Howl posted:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The most dangerous weapon at the speeds Expanse ships travel is a multi-ton bag of sand which explodes prior to impact. A few trillion grains of sand traveling at a fraction of c will be worse than any railgun shot...

Reading novels like Dread Empire’s Fall and The Killing of Worlds had me thinking “no delta-v equals hyper-hosed.”

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Marco reminds me of the nazis in Breaking Bad. Amazing or at least entertaining villains in the first 4 seasons and then the final season has cackling cartoon characters to kill. Let's hope the Martian traitors are more interesting next season.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

TraderStav posted:

Not to be overlooked, Marco not controls the ring gate.

All the ring gates. The MCRN admiral's speech about asymmetric warfare by holding the ring space.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

TraderStav posted:

Not to be overlooked, Marco no[w] controls the ring gate.

CommanderApaul posted:

All the ring gates. The MCRN admiral's speech about asymmetric warfare by holding the ring space.

Well...All of them minus one.
:speculate:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gully Foyle posted:

Why is it weird to be emotional when your family is breaking apart? Like, they were all in a relationship together, and now are being driven apart by politics and war. Drummer took actions that meant one of their family died, and she knew that was going to happen.

I think being emotional is normal it just felt like they were crying way harder than any other scene in the show. Like the scene in season 2 where the belters decide which 52 will live was wrecking me, but the scene of Drummer's crew breaking up felt kind of contrived? I'd get they'd be upset but it felt too much. More like the show was telling me to be sad rather than making me actually feel upset.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I think being emotional is normal it just felt like they were crying way harder than any other scene in the show. Like the scene in season 2 where the belters decide which 52 will live was wrecking me, but the scene of Drummer's crew breaking up felt kind of contrived? I'd get they'd be upset but it felt too much. More like the show was telling me to be sad rather than making me actually feel upset.

they literally just watched their boyfriend be murdered for their collective actions

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe if they gave the guy more than 30 seconds of screen time I'd feel differently. Dude got a more emotional payoff from his crew than Alex did.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like a lot of this discussion boils down to the fact that terms like "pacing", "character development" and "filler" are completely self-defined.

There's no formal definition to any of these -- certainly not one everyone in this thread shares.

So, I guess, define your terms.

"Filler" is the word you can spot to just ignore the rest of the post, at least.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Naomi - “I called him a brave idiot”

Amos - “There’s worse things to be”

Audience - A weird rapey sex pest?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Amos takes Naomi to get her earth driver’s license for three episodes, that's filler. “Well-acted character stuff I thought was boring because I only care about plot movement” is not filler.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sonderval posted:

Naomi - “I called him a brave idiot”

Amos - “There’s worse things to be”

Audience - A weird rapey sex pest?

Exactly my thoughts, lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Grand Fromage posted:

"Filler" is the word you can spot to just ignore the rest of the post, at least.

So you're saying the word "filler" is the important part and the rest of the post is just filler? Seems a bit hypocritical :haw:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommanderApaul posted:

This bugged me, because it's not. We've seen that missiles/torpedoes/projectiles/whatever can freely translate the ring gate without problems now that the speed limit's been turned off, so it's not asymmetric at all: the people trying to hold the ring space are at a profound disadvantage. Attackers from outside can launch sensor platforms that do a quick hop in and out to provide targeting data, and then just railgun the poo poo out of whatever they see. Medina Station would be a sitting duck. Forces inside the ring have far less freedom of maneuver.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whats with the laconia spoilers?

is it that hard to not do this poo poo? last year some youtuber spoiled the earth bombardment for me, and now goons are talking about laconia all willy nilly in the TV thread lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Phanatic posted:

This bugged me, because it's not. We've seen that missiles/torpedoes/projectiles/whatever can freely translate the ring gate without problems now that the speed limit's been turned off, so it's not asymmetric at all: the people trying to hold the ring space are at a profound disadvantage. Attackers from outside can launch sensor platforms that do a quick hop in and out to provide targeting data, and then just railgun the poo poo out of whatever they see. Medina Station would be a sitting duck. Forces inside the ring have far less freedom of maneuver.

I think the asymmetry is referring to hold one position you secure 1300, versus just Sol.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TraderStav posted:

I think the asymmetry is referring to hold one position you secure 1300, versus just Sol.

The Admiral's lecture was that there aren't any combat advantages that accrue to being on either side of the ring, that it's a chokepoint that inhibits both sides equally. But it is not, it is *much harder* to defend the ring space than it is to attack it. It is much easier to defend the Sol system against attack from the ring space than vice versa.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

drat that was a good episode. Some great space battles, Drummer taking back control, and I loved the Naomi rescue scene, and Amos' talk with holden and getting Peaches on the Roci lol

The way Alex died was jarring, but it made sense, and that kind of sudden death feels kind of like a call back to Shed's death, even if it really happened just to get rid of Cas Anvar.

The only thing I didn't find too convincing in that episode was how easily the Earther and Martian battleships got destroyed at the end (though it looked really good). Yeah, they got ambushed from two sides and also by a perfectly aimed and timed stealth micrometeor shower (lol), but they got taken out really quick, with what looked like minimal or no losses on the martian/belter side.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rah! posted:

a perfectly aimed and timed stealth micrometeor shower (lol)

What's lol about it? The ships were stationary relative to the ring, so unless they start moving everyone knows exactly where they are going to be at any time. Very easy targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Phanatic posted:

Why is freedom of maneuver worse if you're inside the Ring Space? Can't the defenders do the same thing with sensor platforms and railguns if that turns out to be the best strategy? (You're probably right about Medina Station though haha.)

I don't get why it would be much harder to defend the Ring Space. Maybe if you have attacks coming from multiple Rings, I guess, but you also control the only way of communicating between the Rings so it would be difficult for them to organize a coordinated attack.