Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I thought it was genius to have him go out that way. So many shows will introduce the "danger of space' or some other situation where every time we do this it's a risk! Except it never is, and becomes common. Then you end up with lightspeed skipping past planets

Instead this was a great way to have a character written off with yeah, random isn't it. poo poo sucks this is why we don't do constant hard maneuvers.

Agreed. Worked nice.

And thanks for reminding me how much I hate the new Star Wars postquel trilogy and Rogue 1 for playing fast and loose with the hyperspace canon rules.

This season I was ready for several characters to get killed off - Drummer, Naomi, and frankly they could have killed off both Alex and Bobbie when the Razorback was discovered.

Drummer could have easily been wiped out by Marco or the mole in mundane fashion, and I would have been fine with Naomi getting killed off when she made her space jump. All in all, character deathing Alex worked and how they did it was fine. Also sucked and hurt seeing Fred go, but raised the stakes. We've got craploads of characters at this point and bumping off a few to 'keep it real' helps.

::sniff:: we can't all go out like a freakin' champ like ol Cotyar Ghazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

gfarrell80 posted:

As a show watcher non-book reader, that may be the broad strokes, but I feel like there could be more to explore. It implies a lot of things...

Cortezar was easy enough to deliver, but the protomolecule? And the 'hit earth with stealth rocks scheme' started seasons ago, well before Inaros had control of the protomolecule, so the exact terms of the deal are still very unclear.

What makes sense show-wise to me is that MCRN fanatics who hate earth were clandestinely allying with belters to achieve their goal of hurting Earth ('the dream of Mars is about to be writ large!' - that MCRN guy who Ashford was torturing), and planned a military attack on the Mars parliament to somehow provide cover for their mass defection/going rogue with a few squadrons worth of vessels. Then once Marco has the protomolecule, he does manage to trade it to the MCRN rogue group for safe passage through the gates to their world of their choice, which the MCRN fanatics know about via clandestine survey work somehow/other intelligence gathering methods. But what is the MCRN rogue faction's end goal? It seems to be seize technology to gain ultimate power, come back and make Mars king - and Marco would surely have a whiff of that and see them as potentially dangerous. Plus Marco was using the protomolecule threat as a bluff to keep the Inners contained within their atmosphere, a very important part of his plan. Is Marco now confident enough of the Free Navy's power that he doesn't feel he needs the protomolecule threat anymore? He apparently just allowed his major ally that helped him in an important victory to separate ways and do their own thing. Not sure he's getting enough out of this deal compared to what he gave the MCRN rogue faction.

The MCRN has drawn down (Bobby working breaking down ships in S4) and the UNN / MCRN took a bunch of losses in the shooting war in Season 2/3... and now a large portion of what's left of the MCRN has hosed off and backstabbed the remainder, killing 3 of the most powerful combatants the UNN and MCRN have.

The Traitors Engineered his access to Stealth Materials (Bobby said it was all connected and ran through the same guy), gave him his Navy and in the Ring Battle helped him cripple the UNN / MCRN fleets, and gain uncontested control of Medina Station.

Nothing Marco has done so far other than kidnap Cortezar and stealing the Protomolocule has been possible without the MCRN traitors.

The Traitors needed Marco to do those things, because only someone within the OPA could infiltrate Fred Johnson and Dawes' operations to pull it off.

Marco got a good deal, he got Sol, 1300 other systems; the ability to strike his most hated enemies, and the weapons to have a shot at fighting the remainder and help killing 3 battleships.

He lost a dude he didn't care about, a thing he didn't understand to be anything but a weapon and bargaining chip and a single solar system he thinks he can get back if he really wants it.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 4, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought marcos long term plan was pretty clearly to trade through the ring and keep the belt supplied with soil and food that way, and just leave earth and mars to turn to poo poo. Pretty good plan until ships start disappearing

Obviously going to have problems making sure trade ships can come through without getting sniped in retaliation since it's hard to guard a stationary object in the open, but still

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 4, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Infidelicious posted:

The Traitors needed Marco to do those things, because only someone within the OPA could infiltrate Fred Johnson and Dawes' operations to pull it off.

They also used him to take any and all attention away from themselves. Once Marco dropped the rocks and made himself the enemy of the Inner planets, no one was really paying attention to the rogue fleet (except Bobbie/Alex).

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Oh yeah, they definitely benefitted from the chaos, and they don't care if Marco wins or loses because it's not their problem.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Aidan_702 posted:

sex pest poochie stroking out on his way to his home planet

Maybe the funniest combination of words I've seen on all these forums.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The show-runners just spent millions of dollars to bring an old Simpsons gag back to life.

If we didn't already have Klav Kalash I'd say we found this seasons Simpson's Easter egg.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I like how they show that Marco can think outside the box, that his military thinking is outside if what earth and mars would expect.

Attacking the third most important place in the system with the technology everyone at this point knew he had? :confused:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

MiddleOne posted:

Attacking the third most important place in the system with the technology everyone at this point knew he had? :confused:

... are you serious?

A. 1st most important, they just didn't know it yet
B. He flipped the script and used the tech in a new way (or, new ish, as it was sorta accidentally tested against the research vessel)
C. He pulled a sneaky, and hit the sol ring from multiple sides utilizing a bunch of dark ships as well as the folks in ring space

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

I found this season to be pretty weak. I think it was a very poor writing decision to start things with a bang (asteroids hitting Earth), and then have five or six episodes of mostly interpersonal drama. The mid-season episodes were just so slow I felt like fast-forwarding through large chunks of them (with the exception of any scenes with Amos in them because the dude is simply the best and most interesting character in the show by leaps and bounds).

Really hoping S6 takes place mostly on exo planets. Really tired of Earth/Mars/Belt drama.

Unrelated: for a show that purportedly tries to be realistic in terms of physics, why do they have ships constantly burning fuel when traveling? Space is... empty, there is virtually no friction, so once you reach a certain speed you can turn off your engine and cruise.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Unrelated: for a show that purportedly tries to be realistic in terms of physics, why do they have ships constantly burning fuel when traveling? Space is... empty, there is virtually no friction, so once you reach a certain speed you can turn off your engine and cruise.

Nearly perpetual efficient thrust is the whole deal of the Epstein drive

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

When does the after-show podcast usually go up? I figured it'd be there by now, but maybe they're delaying it or skipping it entirely so they don't have to dance around the matter of Cas Anvar's departure

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

https://expanse.fandom.com/wiki/Epstein_Drive

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

404notfound posted:

When does the after-show podcast usually go up? I figured it'd be there by now, but maybe they're delaying it or skipping it entirely so they don't have to dance around the matter of Cas Anvar's departure

Was hoping it would be up by now :sad:

But at least By and the Guy are set to be ongoing between the seasons...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

404notfound posted:

It's usually up Wednesday morning. It's been long enough they may not be doing one.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sonderval posted:

Naomi - “I called him a brave idiot”

Amos - “There’s worse things to be”

Audience - Cas Anvar?
What went through my mind.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The after show should have "Cas" on as a guest and it's just that still image of dead Alex again

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Sure, that makes sense with real life tech in the present, but with magical future tech why not keep burning and get to your destination even faster.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BrotherJayne posted:

... are you serious?

A. 1st most important, they just didn't know it yet
B. He flipped the script and used the tech in a new way (or, new ish, as it was sorta accidentally tested against the research vessel)
C. He pulled a sneaky, and hit the sol ring from multiple sides utilizing a bunch of dark ships as well as the folks in ring space

Speaking of, it's kind of cool seeing the Behemoth/Medina actually being useful in a fight now. Came a long way from being Mormon trash.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BrotherJayne posted:

Nearly perpetual efficient thrust is the whole deal of the Epstein drive

Also provides a little gravity to make onboard life easier.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

withak posted:

Also provides a little gravity to make onboard life easier.

Yup, not having to kiss and poo poo into baggies is the tits!

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Caseman posted:

Really loving excited for next season now, that finale puts everything in place for some epic space battles.

THis is what everyone thought of at the end of season 4. But we didn't get that.

Finale was alright. Good enough to make up for one or two bad episodes, but certainly not 2/3 of a season's worth of bad episodes lol

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Panderfringe posted:

I don't think I'm going to bother watching the finale. This is just complete trash.

Panderfringe posted:

So like nothing happens in the loving finale until the last ten minutes? Lol

Panderfringe posted:

I haven't seen the episode yet, just wondering if there's any conclusion other than the very, very end.

Panderfringe posted:

Finale was alright. Good enough to make up for one or two bad episodes, but certainly not 2/3 of a season's worth of bad episodes lol
Aw man this latest plot twist is rough. I was really enjoying hearing about how bad this episode was from someone who hadn't seen it yet. I was hoping you'd keep the gimmick up all throughout season 6 and keep making GBS threads on episodes you hadn't seen based on what you imagined they were about.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
in a year or so, goons will unanimously agree that season 5 is the weakest season of the show. for now, we get to watch people insist otherwise. :shrug:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Horizon Burning posted:

in a year or so, goons will unanimously agree that season 5 is the weakest season of the show. for now, we get to watch people insist otherwise. :shrug:

Wait, who here has a season ranked under 5?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
4 and 1 was worse than 5

1 was still finding its way and 4 was just a really tired and bored looking Holden sighing at idiot earthers and belters raging at eachother

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

BrotherJayne posted:

Wait, who here has a season ranked under 5?

I really wasn't a fan of adventures in slug land. Miller really saved that season, but I'd still rank it below 5

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The folks who are saying that, "Alex's death was handled in the best possible way" are killing me.

They should have had Bobby jump out to get Naomi, then Alex tries to get close to her ship and gets blown up, Roci then shows up and saves Bobby and Naomi.

You'd get to the same point and they could just rebuild the Razorback between seasons if they need it for something.

Alex gets to die in a better way and you can make Marco seem a little more competent in that his trap actually still killed someone.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Interesting.

I go 3, 2, 1, 4, 5

Slugland had it's issues, but it also had Millerbot

1 had the Donnager fight and the vomit zombies

I think 5 is weakest because it had the most squandered potential

But I can see ranking it above 4, I had just judged 4 against the strength of the source material.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How does anyone hold season 1 in low regard. What.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There was nothing particularly good about it. I liked the last episode when things actually happened

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

It's half a story.

I like the show a lot, don't get me wrong, but the show's decision to punt its narrative climaxes to subsequent seasons is really dumb and bad.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Chalks posted:

I really wasn't a fan of adventures in slug land. Miller really saved that season, but I'd still rank it below 5

Yes. Flood and blindness plague and killer slugs got silly. Lose one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Two Owls posted:

Yes. Flood and blindness plague and killer slugs got silly. Lose one.

And Holden just neglecting to mention the whole "I've been taking prophylactics for over a year to avoid cancer from the several sieverts of ionizing radiation I accidentally ate on Eros" thing for several episodes, all of which had people asking him what's medically different about him. There's no logical reason at all that "do a biopsy on your own eyeballs" should be a diagnostic measure performed before "list the medications you're taking".

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Zzulu posted:

There was nothing particularly good about it. I liked the last episode when things actually happened

The stuff on earth with Asmos was great. The stuff on Tycho was good. The Lunar politics was short enough to be interesting without being boring. Drummer stuff was fine and didn't outstay its welcome and had a good payoff. The Naomi stuff was fine but too long and the main low point for me.

Plenty of space battles and exciting moments, a lot of variety of perspectives. I enjoyed it overall. If they took out half of the "Naomi is angry on free navy ship then has a really lovely time on a floating bomb" stuff, using the time to flesh out the other events a bit more, I would have even called it great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MiddleOne posted:

I liked it a lot but the first 2-3 episodes were pretty confusing to me and the season finale wasn't that satisfying.

Personally I think it's 3, 2, 1, 5, 4.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The more I think about the Poochieing of Alex the more frustrated I get. It seems like it was handled in such a needlessly clumsy way.

How I would have preferred it done:

Don't show the stupid dead Alex still floating blood scene. When Holden is chatting with Naomi back on the Rosi they talk about where they're going next, Holden mentions that before going to Luna they're going to drop Alex off at Mars. He wants to spend some time with his family. After what happened with all the people being killed on Mars his ex has reached out to him and wants to give him another chance to be part of his son's life. "Big tragedies like this tend to alter people's perspective about what's really important". Something like that.

Then cut to Luna, have everything as it was but without the hamfisted "oh yeah sucks that he randomly died" conversations. Next season someone mentions that Alex is still on Mars, we never see him again.

I feel like that would have been way less jarring and easier to edit in, plus it fits his pre-existing back story. Just better.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Chalks posted:

The more I think about the Poochieing of Alex the more frustrated I get. It seems like it was handled in such a needlessly clumsy way.

How I would have preferred it done:

Don't show the stupid dead Alex still floating blood scene. When Holden is chatting with Naomi back on the Rosi they talk about where they're going next, Holden mentions that before going to Luna they're going to drop Alex off at Mars. He wants to spend some time with his family. After what happened with all the people being killed on Mars his ex has reached out to him and wants to give him another chance to be part of his son's life. "Big tragedies like this tend to alter people's perspective about what's really important". Something like that.

Then cut to Luna, have everything as it was but without the hamfisted "oh yeah sucks that he randomly died" conversations. Next season someone mentions that Alex is still on Mars, we never see him again.

I feel like that would have been way less jarring and easier to edit in, plus it fits his pre-existing back story. Just better.

Leaving a plot hook rather than completely salting the earth with it would lead to 101 questions next season.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

Interesting.

I go 3, 2, 1, 4, 5

Slugland had it's issues, but it also had Millerbot

1 had the Donnager fight and the vomit zombies

I think 5 is weakest because it had the most squandered potential

But I can see ranking it above 4, I had just judged 4 against the strength of the source material.

Ooh, same order except I think I might have 2 and 1 as a tie - 1 has to do a lot of work on establishing the world and yet it keeps several disparate plot threads moving at pace and effectively brings them together in an effective finale.
2 has the advantage of starting with the story already moving at pace, and I'd be tempted to treat 1 and 2 as a single long series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There's no not-hamfisted way to unceremoniously write a character out because the actor is sex offender and you want to get him out of the show ASAP with as little fanfare as possible.

The only real alternative would have been recasting, and I think we can all agree that is also jarring and gives show a bit of a soap opera feel.