Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Why is always this person who seems to go into HR?

I assume HR draws in people that really enjoy hearing office gossip. This woman is exactly who you wouldn't really want in HR. She's catty, petty as hell, and gossipy. If you get on her poo poo list, good loving luck.

She also had a years long relationship with a married man, which she openly talked about. He finally dumped her I think when she gave him an ultimatum of either picking his wife or her. Is in probably her mid-late 50's and lives in her daughter's basement. HUGE Trump supporter, not terribly surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Charles Bukowski posted:

I would probably be the last to refer to myself as "hot poo poo" at work, I just never want to create more work for others. I'd rather be out in the rice fields.

Fair enough. The post about hiring and firing was pretty spot on; unless performance is truly abominable it's usually easy to just maintain the status quo.

As for not making work for others, that's basically my ethos as well. In fact, it's almost always me getting more work created for myself by other people since there's things I hardly know how to do at all but I'm still the de facto "expert." I run an entire division, essentially (a small one, but still) and also have to take time away constantly because I know how to do computer/graphic design stuff and no one else does. Thing is, I quickly and easily taught myself most of that while on the job, something anyone in the office could've done themselves but can't for reasons

Combo posted:

Just got letter from HR today that they're trying to arrange vaccines for people here, as we've been working the whole time (manufacturing/front line and we actually make stuff for pharma studies). Also said that those who receive both doses of the vaccine and show their vaccination card will no longer be required to wear masks.

It's my understanding that even if you're vaccinated you can still be a carrier, so this sounds incredibly stupid. But our HR lady also thinks the virus was created to make Trump lose the election so there's that.

I mean, it's true that at that point you're extremely unlikely to spread or get covid. Still, what a stupid loving policy. Not everyone you see will instantly understand that you've been vaccinated. Masks until the whole workplace is vaccinated (assuming customers or others aren't coming through your workspace) would make a lot more sense.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Play posted:

I mean, it's true that at that point you're extremely unlikely to spread or get covid. Still, what a stupid loving policy. Not everyone you see will instantly understand that you've been vaccinated. Masks until the whole workplace is vaccinated (assuming customers or others aren't coming through your workspace) would make a lot more sense.

We don't have customers coming through generally other than a couple of people that rent a product from us and keep it here and just come in occasionally to store things in it, etc.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A hundred years ago we had the nicest HR lady who'd go out of her way to make sure you got as much pay as possible, including working the system so that when you quit your vacation pay would keep generating more vacation pay for as long as possible.

I'm certain Satan just dropped her into HR as a joke to see what would happen.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

This is one that got me to leave my last job: a "clear desk" policy.

For clarification, my hours were, ostensibly, 3:30 pm to midnight. But the policy meant that my co-workers and I couldn't leave at midnight unless all the work was done. And all-too-frequently, our customer would send us way more work than could possibly be done, so we'd often be lucky if we got to go home by 2 am. Worst-case scenario, which happened multiple times, was that the workload was such that we worked until the day shift came in at 7 am.

Worst part is, that our throughput was partially limited by how fast we could print the outgoing mail, because if we were limited to only using our department's printer, we could easily keep up with the folding/envelope inserting/posting. But in order to try to get the letters printed, we'd commandeer the other departments' printers since they didn't have a 2nd shift and had gone home.

Nothing ruins your day like coming in to day shift telling you, "oh, they dropped a 12,000 letter job on us this morning" when the typical 8-hour throughput for a single printer is about 1300 letters. (Averages based on 5 sheet b/w duplex letters, most common were 4, 5, and 6 sheets.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The whole company had to attend a zoom thing earlier this week for a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT and as people were coming in there was no audio so people didn't know if the audio was working. The person kicking off the meeting, the head of our human resources department, said out loud "Is nobody saying anything right now or is the audio just being re****ed?" Not even like she accidentally said something without realizing she was muted, she was legitimately asking someone out there if the audio was just being re****ed.

Someone was like "oh nobody's talking yet" and this person just moved on like she said nothing out of the ordinary. Every single person in my team was already there and immediately went to slack to be like "did anybody else just hear that??", as was I'm sure hundreds of other people who were filtering in at that point. Just seriously unbelievable poo poo.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mandatory training for all management to identify and rat out any employees who are suspected of organizing

Every year when it comes time to choose your health insurance plan, everyone has to attend a meeting where a rep from the insurance company comes in a goes through several unlikely scenarios under the assumption that families shouldn’t anticipate unexpected medical expenses to pop up, in order to dupe us into going with the shittiest insurance options

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend has recently left a very big popular retail company after working with their marketing team for a year. From the stories it seems like each department was run by amazing egomaniacs that did all they could to spite one another.

I can recall a coworker of theirs writing in an anonymous complaint to HR about the boss abusing their staff, which was hand delivered to the boss from HR. The boss then read out the letter in a team meeting and began a witch hunt to find out who wrote it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

explosivo posted:

The whole company had to attend a zoom thing earlier this week for a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT and as people were coming in there was no audio so people didn't know if the audio was working. The person kicking off the meeting, the head of our human resources department, said out loud "Is nobody saying anything right now or is the audio just being re****ed?" Not even like she accidentally said something without realizing she was muted, she was legitimately asking someone out there if the audio was just being re****ed.

Someone was like "oh nobody's talking yet" and this person just moved on like she said nothing out of the ordinary. Every single person in my team was already there and immediately went to slack to be like "did anybody else just hear that??", as was I'm sure hundreds of other people who were filtering in at that point. Just seriously unbelievable poo poo.

Report her to herself so she can order herself to teach a mandatory diversity sensitivity training to herself

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I spent a year at my company's office in India basically teaching people how to do my job, and the guy who was in charge of that office had his own private bathroom that had marble floors and what looked like a golden toilet. Everyone else had a bathroom that was the equivalent of a trough at a barn. This was for an office that had about 400 people.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Combo posted:

Just got letter from HR today that they're trying to arrange vaccines for people here, as we've been working the whole time (manufacturing/front line and we actually make stuff for pharma studies). Also said that those who receive both doses of the vaccine and show their vaccination card will no longer be required to wear masks.

It's my understanding that even if you're vaccinated you can still be a carrier, so this sounds incredibly stupid. But our HR lady also thinks the virus was created to make Trump lose the election so there's that.

I think I would be more comfortable with 100% of my coworkers getting the vaccine and not wearing masks, than I would be with 40% declining it and everyone still "wearing" masks (which is what's happened at my workplace)

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 5, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

InternetJunky posted:

a bathroom that was the equivalent of a trough at a barn.

That’s just a squat toilet, very common in eastern nations

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Charles Bukowski posted:

My girlfriend has recently left a very big popular retail company after working with their marketing team for a year. From the stories it seems like each department was run by amazing egomaniacs that did all they could to spite one another.

I can recall a coworker of theirs writing in an anonymous complaint to HR about the boss abusing their staff, which was hand delivered to the boss from HR. The boss then read out the letter in a team meeting and began a witch hunt to find out who wrote it.

The correct response is to make another anonymous complaint about the handling of the anonymous complaint. Use a different writing style.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

wa27 posted:

I think I would be more comfortable with 100% of my coworkers getting the vaccine and not wearing masks, than I would be with 40% declining it and everyone still "wearing" masks (which is what's happened at my workplace)

There are plenty of people here that straight up don't trust the vaccine and won't get it (I'm in the Midwest, pretty red around here). If it was 100% of the people getting it, then yeah I'd be more comfortable not wearing one here. People have been mostly good about wearing masks this whole time and it's a write up for not wearing one.

In related news, one of my employees just texted me and he has covid now, so that's neat. I'm a bit worried because he's over 65 and since I've started working here he's had lung cancer, nearly cut his finger off, had multiple surgeries, and pneumonia. The guy's skin is paper thin, so I see him bleed like once a week. Absolute bear of a man and if anyone can beat it, it'll be him, but still.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

The correct response is to make another anonymous complaint about the handling of the anonymous complaint. Use a different writing style.

Someone did and the Boss gave a forced apology before immediately continuing the witch hunt XD

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Combo posted:

Let me guess: big glasses, curly dirty blonde hair, huge FUPA?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

Let me guess: big glasses, curly dirty blonde hair, huge FUPA?

2 out of 3. Doesn't have curly hair.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
My work will buy me home office stuff for WFH. It's a pretty good deal. It's a massive company, so the policy is set centrally but the people that do the purchasing are just your local dept's admin staff.

We have a budget of £35 for a headset for conference calls. I've asked them to just get me £12 in-ear headphones with a mic (think standard no-brand wired apple earphones). They are refusing to order them for me because "it's meant for a headset not earphones". (90% of people on calls use normal earphones not headsets).

Similarly, we have a specific catalogue for office chairs, with the policy saying we must get these ones because they've been assessed as suitable quality & compliant with the various health & safety regs. I choose one from that list, only to get told "sorry it's too expensive can please find a cheaper one from Amazon and we will order you that".

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

1redflag posted:

That’s just a squat toilet, very common in eastern nations

These urinals are real things though

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Reading this topic is making me very appreciative of working in public utilities. There's a bit of a culture clash between field staff and desk nerds like me, but holy hell I couldn't survive in some of these private sector offices. Any utility is going to be more nepotistic than your average monarchy and useless people cling to their jobs like barnacles on a ship, but no one is ever going to ask me to appear like I give a poo poo about anything.

That's why we have elected officials, after all.

I will, however, talk poo poo about the last time I worked in a privately run water utility. I was brought on as GIS consultant because despite having 100,000 customers the utility did not have an electronic GIS. Their water network and any information about it took the form of a giant disorganized cabinet of ancient construction documents and otherwise only existed in the head of the field supervisor who was a year from retirement. This was only 5 years back, so at the time most water utilities had a small team of full-time GIS employees mapping, attributing, and analyzing the network, serving it up on mobile devices for field staff and laying the foundation for capital outlay with the engineers. They had none of this. Consequently, when a main inevitably burst it would take hours for field staff to find the correct valve and turn it off, and they'd lose tens of thousands of dollars in lost revenue every. single. time. The entire second floor of their building was empty and unfurnished because they had to spend millions in government subsidies intended for staff expansion and network upgrades on lost water.

I spent 6 months putting together a shiny new enterprise GIS with workstations, field gear with mobile devices and survey grade GNSS receivers, and laid out a very easy to understand plan to staff a GIS team and get it all back on track. Even with new employees, new tech, and a considerable amount of windup the plan would have saved the utility ~$750,000 the first year alone, with increasing benefit as time went on. The General Manager decided that this all sounded pretty "faggoty" and went back to napping in his office. I got canned a week later, also for being "faggoty" (technically accurate, but not the term I prefer) but there was still 2 months on the contract so they had to cut me a check for all of it on my way out the door.

Last I heard a reckoning was on the horizon for them but I seriously doubt it. Just glad I'm not in their district.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Riatsala posted:

The General Manager decided that this all sounded pretty "faggoty" and went back to napping in his office. I got canned a week later, also for being "faggoty" (technically accurate, but not the term I prefer) but there was still 2 months on the contract so they had to cut me a check for all of it on my way out the door.

Uh what the hell?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Uh what the hell?

Sounds like he was a real stick in the mud.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nothing more gay than saving money and learning

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Uh what the hell?

One might gather that there were systemic problems that ran a bit deeper than simply "not having a GIS"

This experience was also a factor in me moving out of the rural south less than a year later.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Riatsala posted:

Last I heard a reckoning was on the horizon for them but I seriously doubt it. Just glad I'm not in their district.

Figure out who's going to be taking over and walk in swinging a big gay dick with a shiny new ready to implement upgrade plan with full cost benefit analysis. Offer to come on as a short term contractor to help them set up (at a ridiculous rate), then offer to stick around as full time support staff (at a much lower but still high salary rate).

e: Oh, you moved away.

....double the contract rate to come back

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
revenge isnt worth living in the south. source: i live in alabama

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Play posted:

I mean, it's true that at that point [once you're vaccinated] you're extremely unlikely to spread or get covid. Still, what a stupid loving policy. Not everyone you see will instantly understand that you've been vaccinated. Masks until the whole workplace is vaccinated (assuming customers or others aren't coming through your workspace) would make a lot more sense.

Don't want to start a big derail, but I'd be careful about how you talk about this. My understanding is that there's some very preliminary evidence that the vaccines may reduce the risk of transmission, but that it's too early to be conclusive and that we shouldn't assume that being vaccinated means no transmission until there's more definitive evidence. I think it's true that once you're vaccinated you're unlikely to get COVID-19 (the major efficacy outcome of the vaccine trials), but you still could get infected with and spread SARS-CoV-2 (i.e. infection and disease are distinct).

This only further underscores how fuckign stupid the policy is

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Agreed w above poster. My understanding (layperson) is that being vaccinated means that your body’s immune system “knows” how to fight the relevant virus, not that it makes you wholly immune from the virus entering your body. So you can still get “infected” and still pass the virus along to others, you just are going to recover from any infection much quicker than others w/out the vaccines.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Outrail posted:

Figure out who's going to be taking over and walk in swinging a big gay dick with a shiny new ready to implement upgrade plan with full cost benefit analysis. Offer to come on as a short term contractor to help them set up (at a ridiculous rate), then offer to stick around as full time support staff (at a much lower but still high salary rate).

e: Oh, you moved away.

....double the contract rate to come back

This is all very good advice, but I'd rather die.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
that's some great urinal etiquette.

That is every urinal in UK schools

Play
Apr 25, 2006

1redflag posted:

Agreed w above poster. My understanding (layperson) is that being vaccinated means that your body’s immune system “knows” how to fight the relevant virus, not that it makes you wholly immune from the virus entering your body. So you can still get “infected” and still pass the virus along to others, you just are going to recover from any infection much quicker than others w/out the vaccines.

But if you don't actually get physically sick the virus 1) won't multiply/spread inside you and 2) won't be spread easily to other people through coughing. And like I said, it's very rare to even contract it in any measurable amount after being vaccinated, just as rare as someone getting covid twice. Rare as in the documented instances can be counted with two hands hand internationally, afaik, although I'm open to be corrected.

But that's entirely besides the fact that overcaution is the name of the game, especially as an employer. And the main point, that allowing vaccinated people to stop wearing masks while everyone else does hopelessly obscures the situation and is incredibly stupid, remains. It's hard to know how to talk about these things sometimes because the appropriate level of caution is unclear and you don't want to come off as too lax or too shrill.

Actually I get really pissed off at my workplace because despite the fact that I kinda have my own area they're making me come into the office 4 days a week (completely unnecessary, I can work from anywhere) and certain dumb pricks in the office hardly even bother masking.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Play posted:

But if you don't actually get physically sick the virus 1) won't multiply/spread inside you and 2) won't be spread easily to other people through coughing. And like I said, it's very rare to even contract it in any measurable amount after being vaccinated, just as rare as someone getting covid twice. Rare as in the documented instances can be counted with two hands hand internationally, afaik, although I'm open to be corrected.

But that's entirely besides the fact that overcaution is the name of the game, especially as an employer. And the main point, that allowing vaccinated people to stop wearing masks while everyone else does hopelessly obscures the situation and is incredibly stupid, remains. It's hard to know how to talk about these things sometimes because the appropriate level of caution is unclear and you don't want to come off as too lax or too shrill.

Actually I get really pissed off at my workplace because despite the fact that I kinda have my own area they're making me come into the office 4 days a week (completely unnecessary, I can work from anywhere) and certain dumb pricks in the office hardly even bother masking.

Overcaution isn't the name of the game for the employer because basically no employers followed any sort of lockdown procedure from the getgo. Technically for late Nov to early january my business fell under a "25% maximum" lockdown order but lmao if we weren't all doing exactly what we normally do. What am I gonna do, snitch on em as the only one who openly agreed with the lockdown in the first place?

I can't even be assed to get that mad about the lack of masks because honestly with how cramped our office is (we mostly do field work so it's people coming in and out all day, we don't need a huge space) a normal mask wouldn't do poo poo anyways. If one person got sick mask or no every surface in that office would be contaminated before they started feeling symptoms unless they were wearing actual medical stuff rather than the repurposed hanes everyone has.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 6, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Play posted:

The best vaccine effectiveness, for 2 doses, is about 95%. "Extremely unlikely" is an overstatement, especially with other strains around some of which reduce effectiveness.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski posted:

It really just takes a couple of people that don't feel like doing their jobs or treat people with respect that poisons an entire jobsite or organization.

What baffles me is how ruthless and cutthroat businesses appear to be, but in every department and at every level, people are just loving around and being stupid lazy and petty. Would it not make sense for someone important to cut out every weak link mercilessly and just have talented people who give a poo poo and are paid well enough to commit? I know I expect a lot from people, but surely this makes sense? Why do we so often just put up with mediocrity?
So, the problem with stack ranking (a system where the lowest performers get fired every year) is that it provides perverse incentives; it turns your employment into a zero-sum game.

If I'm working in a normal, healthy environment, and one of my coworkers comes to me and asks me for help, I'm probably going to go through some reasonable effort to give that coworker the help they ask for.

In a stack ranked environment, me helping that coworker means that I may be contributing to myself getting fired. In fact, if I really want to keep my job secure, it's actually probably easier for me to do it by sabotaging my coworkers than it is to do it through being a high performer myself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

*cough*

I quit last month btw, and it was so much worse than in the letter (which I sent in November).

:stonklol:

Yeah I'm amazed you lasted this long, you have the strength of a thousand directors.

Riatsala posted:

the rural south

:ms:

Thanatosian posted:

So, the problem with stack ranking (a system where the lowest performers get fired every year) is that it provides perverse incentives; it turns your employment into a zero-sum game.

If I'm working in a normal, healthy environment, and one of my coworkers comes to me and asks me for help, I'm probably going to go through some reasonable effort to give that coworker the help they ask for.

In a stack ranked environment, me helping that coworker means that I may be contributing to myself getting fired. In fact, if I really want to keep my job secure, it's actually probably easier for me to do it by sabotaging my coworkers than it is to do it through being a high performer myself.

There's also the problem that the worst employee in a group of high performers may well be dramatically better than the best person in a team of slobs, but both teams cut the same number of people. So you're also incentivized to find teams where you're the best person, and you won't have the chance to grow or learn from others.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The idea of stack ranking is that by cutting out the worst employees and maintaining a high rate of hiring that the quality of your employees will keep going up up up!

In reality it just makes a place toxic as hell and anyone talented is going to leave ASAP so the losers and suckers can fight among themselves to see who's the best at manipulating KPIs instead of doing actual work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The second you set an individual level KPI for performance for keeping their job you distort you employees incentives so hard you could travel through time with them.

Tickets closed? Never opening a ticket that seems hard so actual customer issues rot
New Leads? Who gives a poo poo about selling things, book those new meetings and burn out any interest in the company
Customer Satisfaction? Only send reviews to clients who will give a max score/bribe customers for good score

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Feels like it's a chicken and egg thing, in an ideal workplace those sort of metrics are counterproductive because everyone is already working to the best of their ability so adding something like that at bare minimum is administrative waste and normally just encourages weird behavior.

OTOH when you don't have stuff like there's inevitably incompetent but senior people who've phoned it in because they realize they'll never get another raise/promotion outside of years worked because they are in fact terrible at their job just hoisting all their responsibilities on the new and motivated people because the office is a team effort and management is just happy when work gets done, regardless of whether or not it's just all the newer underpaid people picking up all the slack of the guy that sits at his desk on a person call for 6 hours billing it as standby.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Play posted:

But if you don't actually get physically sick the virus 1) won't multiply/spread inside you and 2) won't be spread easily to other people through coughing.

I don’t think anything you said in this sentence is true, to be honest. First, my understanding is you will get physically sick, you will just recover faster such that it may not appear outwardly. Second, the virus will multiply inside you, but your immune system will be able to suppress it at a faster rate than it can replicate, so while it will be able to multiply/spread at first, it will eventually lose a war of attrition. Finally, you still we able to spread it during the period between initial infection and total victory by your immune system.

I’m not trying to be argumentative here, I’m just afraid we may be spreading misinformation one way or the other. I’d love to have some resident immunologist or vaccine scientist (or just a regular physician, whatever) put the issue to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

Overcaution isn't the name of the game for the employer because basically no employers followed any sort of lockdown procedure from the getgo. Technically for late Nov to early january my business fell under a "25% maximum" lockdown order but lmao if we weren't all doing exactly what we normally do. What am I gonna do, snitch on em as the only one who openly agreed with the lockdown in the first place?

I can't even be assed to get that mad about the lack of masks because honestly with how cramped our office is (we mostly do field work so it's people coming in and out all day, we don't need a huge space) a normal mask wouldn't do poo poo anyways. If one person got sick mask or no every surface in that office would be contaminated before they started feeling symptoms unless they were wearing actual medical stuff rather than the repurposed hanes everyone has.

Oh man. Sorry, that's gross af. It's good that you made it through so far but how can you trust a bunch of people who you have no idea what they're doing away from work? Stay safe

It's funny that employers don't seem as concerned as they might about getting sued for failing to provide a safe environment for workers. I wonder if there will be more lawsuits in the future for long term effects or if they're just getting a free pass in effect

1redflag posted:

I don’t think anything you said in this sentence is true, to be honest. First, my understanding is you will get physically sick, you will just recover faster such that it may not appear outwardly. Second, the virus will multiply inside you, but your immune system will be able to suppress it at a faster rate than it can replicate, so while it will be able to multiply/spread at first, it will eventually lose a war of attrition. Finally, you still we able to spread it during the period between initial infection and total victory by your immune system.

I’m not trying to be argumentative here, I’m just afraid we may be spreading misinformation one way or the other. I’d love to have some resident immunologist or vaccine scientist (or just a regular physician, whatever) put the issue to bed.

No that's true, both of them confer partial immunity, with having gotten it before being a little bit more total. I actually was on the other side of this argument in the covid thread where we were talking about degrees of immunity.

It's not total, but I'm not surprised that employers would accept the risk given that the general response has been to do the bare minimum or less than that. I think if a whole enclosed office all had it they would be fine, as the chance of actually having multiple people get it is infinitesimal when you include the chance that a person will get it in the first place.

Meanwhile some jobs just don't give a gently caress about it at all. People walk around in my office building without masks and I don't know where they've been. I'd be pretty happy if the whole office got vaccinated

Play fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 6, 2021