Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Terrible Opinions posted:

Ideally we would have a large accompaniment of bearded and mustachioed dwarven women without it being a transphobic joke.

edit: but actually thinking about it even within established lore you'd think some of the airforce dorfs would be women, given that they are already a non-conforming bit relative to normal dwarf society.

GW coined "steamhead duardin" and now everyone hates the steampunk part of dwarfs even though they had airships and tons of steampunk crap in fantsay too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

The Elspeth + Nuln chat is great but sorry guys because everyone memed a *checks notes* bearded man with plate armor and a sword, no cool dragon lady or GUNS for you.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

GW coined "steamhead duardin" and now everyone hates the steampunk part of dwarfs even though they had airships and tons of steampunk crap in fantsay too

Everyone has a line where the ammount of steampunk becomes obnoxious, and the duradin shoot over that line in a steam ship covered in cogs and tophats.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
technically WFB has the steampunk dwarves and humans, the AOS flying dwarves use their god's bad breath so it's more like a Final Fantasy magipunk

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sasgrillo posted:

The Elspeth + Nuln chat is great but sorry guys because everyone memed a *checks notes* bearded man with plate armor and a sword, no cool dragon lady or GUNS for you.

They can always do both and they could even work quite well in tandem. Elspeth representing guns and all the insanity that comes from the engineers college or whatever it is called with Tody bringing more ulric stuff and a call for more traditional gear and tactics.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just to tell you Steamhead Duardin is a not a term that exists. I don't think GW even coined it.

Also the Kharadron are quite popular.

Protagorean posted:

technically WFB has the steampunk dwarves and humans, the AOS flying dwarves use their god's bad breath so it's more like a Final Fantasy magipunk

They just nicknamed it the Breath of Grungni, it's not literally his breath. Aether-gold is however substance they use to power everything even stuff as silly as a device that distills alcohol better.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 6, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the steampunk dwarves look cool. i'm not afraid to say it!

(my squats... my first painted models were squats...)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

uber_stoat posted:

the steampunk dwarves look cool. i'm not afraid to say it!

(my squats... my first painted models were squats...)

Agreed

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Blissbarb Archers cover that well.

Unlike their armor, which doesn't cover much of anything :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Trash.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I would like to see CA add in the Thunder Barges they have static assets for as a Dwarven Dread Saurian equivalent (I don't know what maps they appear in in vanilla but a few GCCM maps use them)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If the sky dwarves were instead fluffed as something like a group of outcast engineers I think I'd be more okay with them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/07/aos-steamhead-duardin-rumors.html

Deny the existence of the Steamhead Duardins at your peril

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
steam head doo doo mans

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yeah but the term was never actually used.

Nah they cool, they would not fit in the old world at all however, and I don't want them added to Total Warhammer or anything like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Third World Reagan posted:

steam head doo doo mans

They're the real DeeDee megadoodoos

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
So is there a goon community for MP? I've kind of hit my limit on campaign for a little and want to dip my toes into MP, would rather do it with someone willing to share a few pointers or shoot the poo poo instead of grinding it out in randoms

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but the term was never actually used.

"Steamhead" is a group of the Duardin. While it's true that "Steamhead Duardin" doesn't appear in any of the AoS books I've read the fact remains that

A) "Duardin" is a dumb name
B) A group of Duardin were called Steamhead Pioneers

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I wonder if we're going to get a map with the Great Maw in it. Even if we don't, the world map is detailed enough that we should be able to tell whether it's a living thing or just a spike-lined crater, right?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Dr Christmas posted:

I wonder if we're going to get a map with the Great Maw in it. Even if we don't, the world map is detailed enough that we should be able to tell whether it's a living thing or just a spike-lined crater, right?

It is virtually unthinkable that the Great Maw wouldn't be on the map. The Great Maw is almost exactly in between Cathay and Kislev. The question marks are Ind, Khuresh and Nippon - will they get the Great Vortex map treatment, or the Mortal Empires treatment?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just to tell you Steamhead Duardin is a not a term that exists. I don't think GW even coined it.

Also the Kharadron are quite popular.

They just nicknamed it the Breath of Grungni, it's not literally his breath. Aether-gold is however substance they use to power everything even stuff as silly as a device that distills alcohol better.

I'm an AoS liker don't get me wrong

But Steamhead Duardin were definitely a thing GW coined, around the original godawful AoS launch in 2015. Thankfully they abandoned that name along with the whole "make horsey noises to add +2 to your attack roll"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Kharadron Overlords is a way better name if only because at least 50% is a real word

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Late but I played some 3KTW and oddly enough, in some respects, it feels more sluggish than WH2. I mean like even foot infantry taking a second or two before pivoting in place to target a new enemy or whatever. That said, that was because I was playing on Extreme unit sizes, and maybe that's an issue with the engine due to the sheer amount of models in a given fight.

Also seconding the dislike for Kharadron Overlords. Dwarfs are my favorite fantasy race but somehow these are way too tryhard at steampunk for me to like them, which is an achievement in a way.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

It is virtually unthinkable that the Great Maw wouldn't be on the map. The Great Maw is almost exactly in between Cathay and Kislev. The question marks are Ind, Khuresh and Nippon - will they get the Great Vortex map treatment, or the Mortal Empires treatment?

Technically the Great Maw is kind of already on the Warhammer 2 map. The big whirlpool that Noctilus hangs out at is the other end of it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The names of everything being stupid just to evade being generic is the worst thing about AOS, and maybe even a sufficient reason to avoid the setting for a hypothetical Total Warhammer 4. Who the gently caress wants to play as aelves and duardin instead of elves and dwarfs? Part of the reason this setting worked so well is that so much of it fits in a box people who've never heard of the setting before can get their heads around, especially in the first game. Try doing that with stormcast eternals and seraphon and I think it has less inherent appeal, though tbf maybe the success of AOS despite those factors shows that it doesn't actually matter.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
literally all the warhammer content will get into the game. mostly through dlc/flc. games workshop and CA know that poo poo makes mega milk money

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also calling it now:

Elspeth von Draken vs Tamurkhan the Maggot Lord will be a dlc in this game

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

Also calling it now:

Elspeth von Draken vs Tamurkhan the Maggot Lord will be a dlc in this game

I would buy it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
wheres nagash though

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If Nagash is a character in 3 they’re gonna have to redo Mannfred’s voice line

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Lore can always be changed to be less misogynistic.

Calling Dawi tradition misogynistic? That's going in the book, umgi.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You know, why is a Dawi better than a Duardin? And in a place where absurd headgear is adored, why is a steamhead such a crime?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The real question now though is who is gonna react to the trailer next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6IUbraF9Oo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmwGUa1_Kbs

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Have there been any hints (or just actual info because I didn't read the press release NEVER STOP POSTING) as to the structure of the TWWIII campaign? Curious what tricks they have up their sleeves after the Vortex got kinda stale. I'd guess it'd be a similar race against the clock maybe? If you're playing one of the Deamon factions, failing to get your god crowned supreme means game over. If you do, you go krump Kislev and Cathay in a set piece battle. For the non DoC factions...I'm trying to think what would be the hook of such a defensive campaign. Cathay could have the Great Bastion, Kislev could get...I dunno, Imperial, Bretonnian, and Dwarf reinforcements or something. While it's definitely post-facto, the cinematic trailer for TWII yelled in your face VORTEX IS IMPORTANT! Not getting a lot of clear signals from the TWWIII trailer besides a fun showcase for the factions, which I appreciate of course.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

litany of gulps posted:

You know, why is a Dawi better than a Duardin? And in a place where absurd headgear is adored, why is a steamhead such a crime?

I still don't understand why "duardin" and "aelf" and "idoneth deepkin" and "nounverber verbnouns" and poo poo are somehow protected under copyright law but "druchii" and "asur" and "dawi" and poo poo aren't

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The pc gamer interview says that the chaos daemon factions won't engage in traditional TW diplomacy but I haven't seen any specifics on new campaign mechanics other than that

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Aurubin posted:

Have there been any hints (or just actual info because I didn't read the press release NEVER STOP POSTING) as to the structure of the TWWIII campaign? Curious what tricks they have up their sleeves after the Vortex got kinda stale. I'd guess it'd be a similar race against the clock maybe? If you're playing one of the Deamon factions, failing to get your god crowned supreme means game over. If you do, you go krump Kislev and Cathay in a set piece battle. For the non DoC factions...I'm trying to think what would be the hook of such a defensive campaign. Cathay could have the Great Bastion, Kislev could get...I dunno, Imperial, Bretonnian, and Dwarf reinforcements or something. While it's definitely post-facto, the cinematic trailer for TWII yelled in your face VORTEX IS IMPORTANT! Not getting a lot of clear signals from the TWWIII trailer besides a fun showcase for the factions, which I appreciate of course.

There have been rumblings of the plot line. Loremaster of Sotek did a video on the beats of the latest trailer. There is a letter to a lover on the Ice Queen's desk, a letter from her father failing, grand cathay being fingered for help by a mysterious old man who looks like a slightly younger advisor. None of it has a narrative drive like 'Save your world, destroy theirs' but there is enough for a set-up that the big-bads of the setting are inbound.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
those AOS dawi just look like space marines to me

the airships are kinda neat though

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

punishedkissinger posted:

those AOS dawi just look like space marines to me

the airships are kinda neat though

Stormhead duardwis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurubin posted:

Apparently it involves going to the Realm of Chaos.