Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I can also recommend the goon-written "The Basics with Bonkers" as an overview and set up guide for the game: https://www.airgoons.com/w/IL-2_Beginner_Guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I have a VKB Gladiator NXT and I think its a really good choice for an entry-mid-range joystick, and it has a built-in throttle thing. It's sufficient by itself for WWII sims, though I'd want a dedicated throttle for complicated modern aircraft. They're in-stock now and ship from China pretty quickly.

I got it after my T16000 broke, and imo it's a big step-up in quality. I'm very impressed by VKB in general, their rudder is fantastic too.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
I had a very hard time finding anything in stock outside of used on eBay, but the t16000 stick, rudder and pedal set became available (and appears to remain available) from box.co.uk for £199.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

After I got really into IL-2 I bought a T16000 stick and throttle for joker-prices but didn't get the pedals and now kind of wish I had because now they're even more expensive. Get the set if you can.

I'd gladly sell you my perfectly-fine T-Flight HOTAS that I replaced for peanuts, but cross-pond shipping alone would probably be worth more than the HOTAS itself.

Grumio posted:

I can also recommend the goon-written "The Basics with Bonkers" as an overview and set up guide for the game: https://www.airgoons.com/w/IL-2_Beginner_Guide

And if you DO get the T16000.M, the binding set in this guide is awesome. The only changes I've made since I first set it up are mainly to help fly US planes from Bodenplatte and Normandy:

• Moved Fuel Mixture from the throttle's pinky-dial to the slider on the base of the joystick, and put the Engines Turbosupercharger control +/- on the pinky-dial instead. I nudged the pinky dial off of auto-rich mixture settings too often.
    (NOTE: Most planes I fly have auto-mixture management anyway so moving the adjustment off the throttle was fine, but some (Soviet) planes have completely manual mixture controls and takes adjustment more often - so it might be better to have it at-hand. And if I understand correctly, the Turbosupercharger controls are exclusive to the P-47. If you don't fly the P-47, this switch probably isn't worth much other than making it harder to accidentally change mix.)
  • Put Gunsight Range Adjustment +/- on the left-side of the joystick base, where the now-empty buttons for Engines Turbosupercharger control +/- are. (Just for the US/UK gyro sight - I don't think there are many adjustable sights in-game?)
  • Put Link Throttle and Turbo Levers on the same HAT button as Engine supercharger mode switch. Again, a P-47-specific binding - its supercharger switching is automatic anyway, so it seems to work fine as a double-bind.
  • Put Reload All Guns (for unjamming WW1 guns) on one of the empty buttons on the right side of the joystick's base
  • The Discord PTT is my VR-or-TrackIR-position reset instead because I am a friendless curmudgeon

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 29, 2021

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI

Squiggle posted:

After I got really into IL-2 I bought a T16000 stick and throttle for joker-prices but didn't get the pedals and now kind of wish I had because now they're even more expensive. Get the set if you can.

I'd gladly sell you my perfectly-fine T-Flight HOTAS that I replaced for peanuts, but cross-pond shipping alone would probably be worth more than the HOTAS itself.

And if you DO get the T16000, the binding set in this guide is awesome. The only changes I've made are:

- Moved Mixture from the throttle's pinky-dial to the slider on the base of the joystick. I nudged the pinky dial off of auto-rich settings too often.
- Put the Turbosupercharger control on the pinky-dial instead; I like the P-47.
- Made the buttons marked Engine Turbosupercharger Control the Gunsight adjustment instead (for the US gyro sight)
- Put Reload All Guns (for unjamming WW1 guns) on one of the empty buttons on the right side of the joystick's base
- The Discord PTT is my VR-or-TrackIR-position reset instead because I am a friendless curmudgeon

Another excellent resource and tips, thank you

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Squiggle posted:

Yeah, it's probably not a bad idea. Even if I do get a Gladiator or some other better stick down the line, the pedals and throttle will still probably be usable.

And sadly the 2nd hand market in Finland is loving DEEEEEEAD.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What VR headsets do you guys use for this?

I really kind of want to get back into flying but I never really got on with TIR, and mine broke years ago anyway. It's probably a terrible time to buy a vr headset I know, but I want to fly and also look around.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I ordered a Reverb G2 a month-and-a-half ago and haven't heard anything sense. No idea when it will ship.

I bought a cheap-o Lenovo headset awhile back. It's cool, but the colors are so washed out and the resolution is so low that I can't get into it for longer than fifteen minutes. I'm excited for a more modern VR set (plus controllers so I can play games like Alyx).

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

What VR headsets do you guys use for this?

I really kind of want to get back into flying but I never really got on with TIR, and mine broke years ago anyway. It's probably a terrible time to buy a vr headset I know, but I want to fly and also look around.

HP USA ships Reverb G2 headsets within the week of ordering recently. I got mine three days from hitting the button. And they are not price gouged, and are also "the gold standard" in terms of flight sims.
Other countries are proper hosed, as is most non-HP VR market in the US.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A Valve Index with a 2060 driving it works pretty drat good.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you are only interested in cockpit games (flying/driving) the Reverb is where it's at. Otherwise Index is significantly fewer pixels (and harder to spot in Il-2 based on their rendering method, right guys?) but has better hand controller tracking.

E: don't listen to index user's, they need to justify their purchase to themselves and will say the index is pure ultra high fidelity resolution; reverb is absolutely better here

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 30, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Corky Romanovsky posted:

E: don't listen to index user's, they need to justify their purchase to themselves and will say the index is pure ultra high fidelity resolution; reverb is absolutely better here

Who's saying this? The Index wasn't even the highest resolution headset when it came out.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
+1 on the t16000 kit and the G2.

I've not done much flying in VR yet but boy howdy does it feel different. You really get a sense of how goddamn tiny the 109 cockpit was.

Also join airgoons and drop a note in the ww2 channel when you're flying.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

HP USA ships Reverb G2 headsets within the week of ordering recently. I got mine three days from hitting the button. And they are not price gouged, and are also "the gold standard" in terms of flight sims.
Other countries are proper hosed, as is most non-HP VR market in the US.

Welp, the UK site doesn't even have a section to be notified of stock, just a generic newsletter. I guess I'm stuck in tanks for now :v:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Abongination posted:

I've not done much flying in VR yet but boy howdy does it feel different. You really get a sense of how goddamn tiny the 109 cockpit was.

I was saying the same thing in the general flight sim thread. I never appreciated how little the cockpit on these things was. Not just WWII, the F16 feels like you're in a motorcycle.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

Welp, the UK site doesn't even have a section to be notified of stock, just a generic newsletter. I guess I'm stuck in tanks for now :v:

At least BestWare offers pre order on the Reverb G2 in Europe, but there’s some other places too.

https://bestware.com/en/hp-reverb-g2.html

You basically pay a bit more to have Best Ware camp the inventory for you.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I ordered the T.16000M full set. I wish it would get here already, I want to bomb things.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Trillhouse posted:

I was saying the same thing in the general flight sim thread. I never appreciated how little the cockpit on these things was. Not just WWII, the F16 feels like you're in a motorcycle.

Now do the P47, it's like being in a warehouse.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Now that I've got an idea how to fly a few different things I'm getting started on a Moscow campaign and am having way more luck and fun with a MiG-3 than I expected to, but that fuckin' off-center gunsight is going to drive me crazy. Every time I center view, I have to duck down and over a little bit to offset it just so my neutral head position comes to rest in front of the fucker.

It's pretty great to be able to catch (bad) Bf 109 pilots in a straight-line run for a change though.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 1, 2021

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

Squiggle posted:

Every time I center view, I have to duck down and over a little bit to offset it just so my neutral head position comes to rest in front of the fucker.

Place your head where you want your neutral position to be and then press F10. It'll replace the default head position.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Noosphere posted:

There are a bunch of very active servers, just take into account that all of them will have more or less expert settings. In my experience:

• "Combat Box Training: plenty of little areas focused around training one area of expertise, from dogfights to train attacks and everything in between.
  • Berloga Duel and Dogfight: crazy furball 24/7. Great place to die over and over as you slowly improve your dogfighting fundamentals.
  • Wings of Liberty: my go-to these days. Each mission usually lasts about 2h, and the Soviets usually win since too few German players care about ground attack.
  • Combat Box: Similar to WoL, but runs more Battle of Bodenplatte focused missions. "GPS" is disabled, I hope you can read a map
  • Finnish Pilots: the complete Il-2 multiplayer experience. The only major server that has tanks activated, leading to some really fun combined arms operations. "GPS" is disabled. Also, the general skill level seems quite a bit higher than WoL.

this is a good breakdown

try them all. depending on my mood i can spend a lot of time in each. even the full sim mode is fun because you'll get lost and have to look at rivers and landmarks to figure out where the heck u at

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Squiggle posted:

Now that I've got an idea how to fly a few different things I'm getting started on a Moscow campaign and am having way more luck and fun with a MiG-3 than I expected to, but that fuckin' off-center gunsight is going to drive me crazy. Every time I center view, I have to duck down and over a little bit to offset it just so my neutral head position comes to rest in front of the fucker.

It's pretty great to be able to catch (bad) Bf 109 pilots in a straight-line run for a change though.

I forget the binding for it, but you manually move your virtual head behind the gunsight and then save that as the new default center view.

E: instaposted by someone more helpful!

Shine fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 1, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Shine posted:

I forget the binding for it, but you manually move your virtual head behind the gunsight and then save that as the new default center view.

Noosphere posted:

Place your head where you want your neutral position to be and then press F10. It'll replace the default head position.

Well now what am I supposed to blame my lovely gunnery on? Amazing, thanks gang, that's exactly what I wanted.

EDIT: Oh holy poo poo, you can drag the waypoints around on PW's Campaign Generator map? Well that solves another problem. Good lord, do I have my head all the way up this thing's rear end right now. It's so fun.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 1, 2021

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
edit: no longer relevant.

Noosphere fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 4, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, random question: Which German plane(s) get the best variety of missions in the BoK career? Mostly centred around ground-attack, preferably. (Bonus points for anti-ship missions!) I've been using an Hs-129 which has been fun, except the only missions I seem to get are frontline attacks and attacks on armoured columns.
So yeah, as a result I'm considering making the switch to a Bf-110 squadron, since theoretically it should have more mission types as its role isn't as limited in scope compared to a 129. (Not sure if there are any night-fighter missions, etc. though. But surely there's at least a variety of different ground attack mission types)

Thanks! Random question I know, but I've been out of the IL-2 loop for a while, so I figured I'd better ask instead of trial-and-error my way through a heap of squadrons/planes.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 5, 2021

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The 110 or FW190 should give a pretty good mix.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Grumio posted:

Rest in Peace, Bonkers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grumio posted:

Is there a link to the PDF this mentions anywhere?

e: nvm found it in the discord pins

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 5, 2021

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Rest in Peace, Bonkers

Did he die?? :ohdear:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
No, he just hasn't been around for a few months. Someone's been in touch with him and he's ok, just needs some time away

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
For those that play multiplayer or are thinking of trying it out, I think the Finnish server is quite good. Made a video that breaks down all the things you need to know on the server. It's basically an online multiplayer pvp dynamic campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqU4YZUG15s

I have been playing WWII air sims for quite a long time. If anyone has any multiplayer questions especially about Finnish LMK

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 6, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Enigma89 posted:

For those that play multiplayer or are thinking of trying it out, I think the Finnish server is quite good. Made a video that breaks down all the things you need to know on the server. It's basically an online multiplayer pvp dynamic campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqU4YZUG15s

I have been playing WWII air sims for quite a long time. If anyone has any multiplayer questions especially about Finnish LMK

Thanks! I actually just was watching this video after joining the Finn discord this morning (flew there for the 1st time today). This was quite useful.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
You need to be on the Air Goons discord for sure.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

dialhforhero posted:

You need to be on the Air Goons discord for sure.

I just joined, didn't realize so many Goons played air sims.

I don't want to shill my videos so will hold off posting any links. If there are any new players, especially Luftwaffe players, that are still struggling with aim I would suggest to check out a few of the other videos that I have on my channel. There are a lot of gunnery videos with high angle deflection shots so will give you an idea of what will hit. When I first started playing air sims, I used to only shoot at what I could see and it wasn't until I saw gunnery videos that I realized really you can make high angle deflection shots when you just anticipate and shoot when they are under your gunsight.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Is it just me, or is the gunner AI way better than it was back in the BoS/BoM days? Back then gunners seemed rather hopeless, unless the enemy is 100m away. But the last couple of days I've seen my gunner take down four enemy yaks! (Across three career sorties)

He hit 3/4 from over a kilometre away, too. I just line him up and he fires a short burst into them, hitting their engines and starts leaking juices. Then they break off (before even firing a shot, most of the time!) and eventually fall out of the sky while trying to desperately make it back to base. I mean, just earlier I did a little fancy flying to get an enemy wing leader into a low, disadvantageous position (and to avoid most of his fire) then my gunner put a burst into his engine and canopy from above, sending him into the dirt.

Meanwhile though, the wingman AI (for 110s at least) seems to be worse than ever - my wingmen just patrol the waypoint instead of seeking out the IL-2s ~15kms away, that we've been tasked with destroying!
So yeah, has anyone else noticed this? With regards to gunners, that is. I think I actually prefer having a competent gunner than competent AI wingmen, with the luck I've had so far!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
So I finally upgraded from 1946 after almost two decades :rip:
Managed to get a nice hardcore Soviet P-39 campaign going until I bailed out juuuust in enemy lines and am missing. So now I'm flying a Spitfire IX in Europe and it seems substantially more complicated than the Airacobra. I only say that because, for the life of me, I have no idea how the AI manages to go so fast on all these bombing missions. The mission starts and within minutes they're dots on the horizon. Is it okay to sit in combat/emerg mode for an hour? Is there something I'm supposed to be doing with the supercharger? I thought it was automatic?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Major Isoor posted:

Is it just me, or is the gunner AI way better than it was back in the BoS/BoM days? Back then gunners seemed rather hopeless, unless the enemy is 100m away. But the last couple of days I've seen my gunner take down four enemy yaks! (Across three career sorties)

He hit 3/4 from over a kilometre away, too. I just line him up and he fires a short burst into them, hitting their engines and starts leaking juices. Then they break off (before even firing a shot, most of the time!) and eventually fall out of the sky while trying to desperately make it back to base. I mean, just earlier I did a little fancy flying to get an enemy wing leader into a low, disadvantageous position (and to avoid most of his fire) then my gunner put a burst into his engine and canopy from above, sending him into the dirt.

Meanwhile though, the wingman AI (for 110s at least) seems to be worse than ever - my wingmen just patrol the waypoint instead of seeking out the IL-2s ~15kms away, that we've been tasked with destroying!
So yeah, has anyone else noticed this? With regards to gunners, that is. I think I actually prefer having a competent gunner than competent AI wingmen, with the luck I've had so far!

Gunners are definitely more accurate than they used to be, maybe a bit too accurate but I prefer that over them being so terrible you could just line up behind bombers and pick them off one by one.

If you play online it's also really fun to play as a bomber flying low altitude. Spot some German player flying 5km up and diving down on you but pretend like you don't notice them, they'll inevitable line up right behind you for an easy kill thinking you don't notice them. Switch to your rear turret and unload on them for an easy kill when they get close.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Is there something I'm supposed to be doing with the supercharger? I thought it was automatic?

I had the same experience in the p-47. Had to fiddle with the supercharger controls and then I was good. Perhaps it is the same for your plane.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Superchargers typically aren't automatic. Depends on variant and specific engine/model but I'd be surprised if it wasn't that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
The AI are also perfect at managing their aircraft, so their prop pitch/rpm, fuel mixture, throttle and trim will be the optimum for whatever altitude and speed they're flying.

According to the data sheet, the engine limits for the P-39 are:
Nominal (unlimited time): 2600 RPM, 37.2 inch Hg
Military power (up to 15 minutes): 3000 RPM, 42 inch Hg
Take-off power (up to 5 minutes): 3000 RPM, 51 inch Hg
Maximum Possible power (up to 2 minutes): 3000 RPM, 60 inch Hg

The P-39 also only has a single stage supercharger, so it's unlikely that's the issue.