Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I’d like to think that this is patrolled by an elite clown honor guard 24/7

every few hours they go though an elaborate shift change that involves a series of somber honks and the transfer of a 20ft long handkerchief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

quote:

William Andrew Nicholson (1877-1965) believed in biblical Armageddon. He was convinced it would happen in his lifetime, and that afterward he would be one of the 144,000 righteous souls who would live on Earth with Jesus for another 1,000 years.

But live where? Nicholson wanted to spend his millennium at home, so he built a home that could survive it.

From 1938 to 1946 he and his wife, Emma Fair, both in their sixties, labored to create an Apocalypse-proof, thousand-year fortress. He told a reporter in 1957, "I believe in preparing to live instead of preparing to die."

Rejecting anything that could rot or rust (such as wood or metal), William and Emma Fair burrowed into a hillside, then built an all-rock, 14-room, two-story home -- later dubbed "Millennium Manor" -- in the excavation. The two senior citizens hauled boulders into place -- hundreds of tons of them -- then mortared it all together with 4,000 bags of cement. Fifty years later a medieval castle expert examined the citadel and calculated that it was overbuilt by 250 percent, meaning that two additional Millennium Manors could be safely stacked on top of it.

By then, both William and Emma Fair were dead. Emma went first. William sadly explained that, "Her faith just wasn't strong enough," but he remained firmly committed to the thousand-year plan. Using his own Bible math, William predicted that the End Times would arrive by 1959. When they didn't, he pushed the deadline back to 1969. Then he died before he could be disappointed again.

Wait, you ask, this looks just like a normal church you might find in any American town.

But what's that in it?

Yes, it's the Lincoln Marriage Temple, built to solely to host the log cabin in which Abe's parent's married in 1806. When dedicated in 1931 it was expected to become a new marriage hotspot and couples were encouraged it hold weddings there. For some reason it didn't catch on.

And what about this?

It's a hole in the ground. Well, the marker for what used to be a hole in the ground.

Sometime in 1878 Boston Corbett dug a hole in that spot so he could have somewhere to live. But what makes that interesting? I'll just quote wikipedia

quote:

In 1857, Corbett began working at a hat manufacturer's shop on Washington Street in downtown Boston. He was reported to be a proficient milliner, but was known to proselytize frequently and stop work to pray and sing for co-workers who used profanity in his presence. He also began working as a street preacher and would sermonize and distribute religious literature in North Square.[8] Corbett soon earned a reputation around Boston for being a "local eccentric" and religious fanatic.[1][2] On July 16, 1858, Corbett was propositioned by two prostitutes while walking home from a church meeting. He was deeply disturbed by the encounter. Upon returning to his room at a boardinghouse, Corbett began reading chapters 18 and 19 in the Gospel of Matthew ("And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out and cast it from thee....and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake"). In order to avoid sexual temptation and remain holy, he castrated himself with a pair of scissors.[2] He then ate a meal and went to a prayer meeting before seeking medical treatment

In the Civil War Corbett joined the Union army and in 1865 was assigned to hunt down Lincoln's assassins. He disobeyed orders though and promptly shot and killed John Wilkes Booth. After that he was discharged from the army.

quote:

Corbett's inability to hold a job was attributed to his fanatical behavior; he was routinely fired after continuing his habit of stopping work to pray for his co-workers.[34] In an effort to earn money, Corbett capitalized on his role as "Lincoln's Avenger".[11] He gave lectures about the shooting of Booth accompanied by illustrated lantern slides at Sunday schools, women's groups and tent meetings. Corbett was never asked back due to his increasingly erratic behavior and incoherent speeches...

Due to his fame as "Lincoln's Avenger", Corbett was appointed assistant doorkeeper of the Kansas House of Representatives in Topeka in January 1887. On February 15, he became convinced that officers of the House were discriminating against him. He jumped to his feet, brandished a revolver and began chasing the officers out of the building. No one was hurt and Corbett was arrested. The following day, a judge declared Corbett insane and sent him to the Topeka Asylum for the Insane. On May 26, 1888, he escaped from the asylum on horseback.[37]

He fled to Minnesota where he died in a forest fire. There are few stories as as American as Boston Corbett

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
There's a movie where Patton Oswalt plays a hardcore sports obsessed loser who lives with his mom and then refuses to press charges against his favorite football player who beat the poo poo out of him for following him around one night. It's pretty good. The title is Big Fan.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Have traveled the PA turnpike, never stopped for gifts & souvenirs in Breezewood. Wonder what they have?

https://crawfordsgiftshop.com/

*keeps on driving*

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Radio Nowhere posted:

Have traveled the PA turnpike, never stopped for gifts & souvenirs in Breezewood.

god, I never knew what the name of that place was, but as soon as you mentioned the PA turnpike, I instantly knew what Breezewood was.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfnOFvZvEuA

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This thread makes me laugh cuz you can tell whose a city slicker by how disgusted they are at small town America like the guy complaining about tables near a bathroom

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Empress Brosephine posted:

This thread makes me laugh cuz you can tell whose a city slicker by how disgusted they are at small town America like the guy complaining about tables near a bathroom

Same. Especially since a lot of these places are just normal things you'd find in any country that has a rich and varied history of cultural exchange.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Obviously bathrooms should be outside the restaurant, ask the staff for a key.

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 6, 2021

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSEwcksglTw

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

For a while, this thread brought back some feelings that felt so familiar. Then I remembered:

https://internetkhole.com/ It's a bunch of old photographs that have been scanned, and it encapsulates life in America in the ~80's. It can sometimes be :nsfw: so keep in mind you might see a boob or two.

Some examples:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ARMBAR A COP fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 6, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ARMBAR A COP posted:

https://internetkhole.com/ It's a bunch of old photographs that have been scanned, and it encapsulates life in America in the ~80's. It can sometimes be :nsfw: so keep in mind you might see a boob or two.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

this raises the important philosophical question of whether or not an elephant can take a sip from a giant martini while holding it with its trunk

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ARMBAR A COP posted:

For a while, this thread brought back some feelings that felt so familiar. Then I remembered:

Some examples:

There is some amazing poo poo in here. I liked how some of it is genuinely heartwarming.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 6, 2021

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

yeah but its also everywhere else.

Where's your av from? I want to see patton oswalt get punch

It's from Justified. Which is a good show and you should watch it anyway.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Some examples:

late 2nd gen camaros are among the most beautiful cars ever produced

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Last I checked internetkhole had a private instagram account, but they accepted follow requests.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

every town should have a sign height limit

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Radio Nowhere posted:

Have traveled the PA turnpike, never stopped for gifts & souvenirs in Breezewood. Wonder what they have?

https://crawfordsgiftshop.com/

*keeps on driving*

"Perfect PA Day Trip Travel Destination – Breezewood, PA"

The boldest lie ever.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
did nobody else see diogenes in breezewood picture

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

As an American I'm not educated enough to know what that is is it behind the Perkins

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Big Beef City posted:

As an American I'm not educated enough to know what that is is it behind the Perkins

https://youtu.be/F6MaBjL1cck?t=19

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

baw posted:

late 2nd gen camaros are among the most beautiful cars ever produced

Now that's an opinion I have never heard uttered by anyone ever.

What about the mid-70s Firebirds with the huge flaming chicken on the hoods?

I like this car. Too bad only one exists.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

"I was once as you are now, but where I am now you'll never be."

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I love this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So just outright admitting that white people are racist.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Oh boy, finally a picture of a place I know. :negative:

I do at least also know that it has since been taken down. However, apparently this one is still up.

I like my state overall, but Harrison is a major embarrassment.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Prof. Banks posted:

Oh boy, finally a picture of a place I know. :negative:

I do at least also know that it has since been taken down. However, apparently this one is still up.

I like my state overall, but Harrison is a major embarrassment.

Holy poo poo. How. Like seriously how

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Outrail posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Outrail posted:

The south.

lol, just seconds before I posted my reply.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I grew up in SW MO, which has been the influence on the photos I’ve posted so far. I’d float the Buffalo River a lot and had to drive thru Harrison to get there. Always an adventure.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pug Rodeo posted:

I grew up in SW MO, which has been the influence on the photos I’ve posted so far. I’d float the Buffalo River a lot and had to drive thru Harrison to get there. Always an adventure.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I guess "no bad neighborhoods" was too subtle.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

I guess "no bad neighborhoods" was too subtle.

The target audience is extremely dim, yes

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think we might live in one of those shithole countries Donald Trump was talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

This is real? I always thought it was fake / photoshopped. :smith: