Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Taycan is still super impressive. It's been parked up for just over out in the open up high in the mountains, though under a cover as I learned my lesson last time it snowed. Only lost like 1% of charge. I had to come back to civilisation today and it is just so good on the mountain roads, I really don't notice the weight at all. It also gained charge going down from the mountain to the Rhone Valley which is pretty cool. Then really comfortable and quiet at 140kph on the autoroute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I saw one on the road today for the first time. The car looked great! But the beigeish color it was painted just looked sad.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Replaced the driver's side HVAC servo in my 993 and now I have warm air coming out of the driver's side! And I only swore a few times! :toot: Too bad the roads in the Northeast will be salted for months.

Dealer is closed today/tomorrow so I can't figure out what's wrong with the Macan. :negative:

Finally diagnosed the Macan. So initially, we had the wastegate on the turbo fail at around 70k miles, which was replaced under warranty. The car now has 110k miles, but since it failed within 2 years, it's covered under the parts warranty.

I think my wife is pretty set on a 4Runner for her next car, thankfully, so we won't have 3 german cars that constantly want to break at some point. :v:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 31, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, at least the 4Runner won't depreciate as badly :buddy:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slidebite posted:

Hey can you do me a favor and post a pic of this?

I'll let my friend know who just bought a Macan and if it's exposed on theirs too I'll let them know to proactively address it.

This is mid repair. The wires wrapped in electrical tape are exposed from the factory on the 2017MY. The picture is taken from behind the rear drivers wheel looking at the rear suspension.

Best guess is that using it as a rally car on dirt and stone surfaces over time wore down the wiring insulation from being pelted and basically sandblasted at high speed.

It is entirely possible that this is no longer an issue on the new ones.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

This is mid repair. The wires wrapped in electrical tape are exposed from the factory on the 2017MY. The picture is taken from behind the rear drivers wheel looking at the rear suspension.

Best guess is that using it as a rally car on dirt and stone surfaces over time wore down the wiring insulation from being pelted and basically sandblasted at high speed.

Holy poo poo that is inexcusable for a vehicle in this price range. I would have expected an extra $0.08 worth of plastic somewhere to cover that.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

Holy poo poo that is inexcusable for a vehicle in this price range. I would have expected an extra $0.08 worth of plastic somewhere to cover that.

I haven't even mentioned how my local dealer handled this when I brought it in as a warranty repair.

That picture is how they fixed it and charged me for it since it isn't covered under warranty.

Edit: Now where's that all cars are trash meme.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yikes. Thanks for that boss

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

Lol.

Oh.

Financial Goals 2021: Save for a 4Runner.

:negative:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

McTinkerson posted:

I haven't even mentioned how my local dealer handled this when I brought it in as a warranty repair.

That picture is how they fixed it and charged me for it since it isn't covered under warranty.

Edit: Now where's that all cars are trash meme.

Is that porsche OEM electrical tape?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

gvibes posted:

Hmm, 17 year old car with 110k miles for 37k, what can possibly go wrong?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/chicago-2003-porsche-turbo-x50-gt2/7248549066.html

e: closest BAT comp - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-32/

e2: and carvana will apparently give me 28k for my 2011 m3, lol.
Thought of buying this one (2nd bidder) - huge miles, lovely paint, but lots of service of service history. https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2003-porsche-911-turbo-coupe/

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Good lord I can smell the armor-all leather shine from the photos.

Why do people put that on steering wheels?! DON'T DO THAT.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

gvibes posted:

Thought of buying this one (2nd bidder) - huge miles, lovely paint, but lots of service of service history. https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2003-porsche-911-turbo-coupe/

Wow $31.5K for an X50. Great deal for a track rat

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I was going through all of my old pictures (taken with what is basically a potato) and found my visit to the original Porsche museum that was connected to the factory and dealership.
Back in 2007 I posted these in their own thread (along with the Mercedes museum and Unimog museum). Those threads are now in the archives with dead image links.

So here they are in no particular order again since a few of them are pretty cool (the cut-aways in particular).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Thanks for this, that 987 cutaway is amazing :circlefap:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Cross posting from the "What you did to your car today" thread

Got it back today and it's so dreamy :allears:

I'm in love :love:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That's great. The Dirty Martini look is awesome as well

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

With the help from Eurowise Performance ( https://shop.eurowise.com/category-s/386.htm ), Bajaja could dirty it up with real mud!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Similar:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/442884-2002-porsche-turbo-distressed-martini-livery.html

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

knox_harrington posted:

NGL this looks loving awesome.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Air cooled porsche prices are out of hand, but in March, you can attain this:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/porsche-911-10295

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Can anyone confirm whether or not Sport mode does anything to the clutch on a manual 987.1 Cayman S? My Dad was telling me that it does and I thought no way, doesn't sound right as I've never heard of any manufacturer doing such a thing, and it was probably just throttle mapping making it feel different (he mentioned he has to adjust how he shifts otherwise his shifts are garbage).

I drove it, and bugger me if the friction point doesn't seem to move considerably between Sport and normal mode.

Is this actually a thing? I guess they could have a cam or moving linkage which changes the clutch operation or something - like I said, I'd just never heard of anyone doing it.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Can anyone confirm whether or not Sport mode does anything to the clutch on a manual 987.1 Cayman S? My Dad was telling me that it does and I thought no way, doesn't sound right as I've never heard of any manufacturer doing such a thing, and it was probably just throttle mapping making it feel different (he mentioned he has to adjust how he shifts otherwise his shifts are garbage).

I drove it, and bugger me if the friction point doesn't seem to move considerably between Sport and normal mode.

Is this actually a thing? I guess they could have a cam or moving linkage which changes the clutch operation or something - like I said, I'd just never heard of anyone doing it.

Not a thing, but sport does change throttle mapping

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

got off on a technicality posted:

Not a thing, but sport does change throttle mapping

Bizarre man, I swear the clutch feel changes! Will have to have another play with it. Might just be placebo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

Air cooled porsche prices are out of hand, but in March, you can attain this:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/porsche-911-10295

Gonna buy this for my desk.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Gonna buy this for my desk.

Same. I missed out on the Lego VIP pre-order that came with reprints of the sales posters unfortunately.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

Same. I missed out on the Lego VIP pre-order that came with reprints of the sales posters unfortunately.

I haven't bought Legos since I'm a kid, but NGL, thought about buying that Lego Technics GT3 RS when it came out a few years back. $500-600 on ebay now, no thanks.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I haven't bought Legos since I'm a kid, but NGL, thought about buying that Lego Technics GT3 RS when it came out a few years back. $500-600 on ebay now, no thanks.
I got that one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

I got that one.

Is it cool.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The speed champions Porsche sets are excellent.
They're also desk size and thus cheaper ($25-75).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

They also have the only 911 with the engine in the correct place

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/porsche-911-rsr-42096

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

They also have the only 911 with the engine in the correct place

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/porsche-911-rsr-42096

On a stand in the shop, full service position?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"Service position" is an Audi front engine thing. It's very specific unless I'm missing something.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

991 RSR was mid engine.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yep, the only 911 that is mid engined.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

It's p. cool

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's p. cool

My son's got the same kit. He uses it for demo derbies. :stare:

I got him the Lepin version of the Bugatti after that. :D

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

"Service position" is an Audi front engine thing. It's very specific unless I'm missing something.

It's also a BMW thing or was, my E39 manual describes SP1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that when you bend over and wait for the bill to arrive?