Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

evil_bunnY posted:

I've no idea what that's about, our kids never got wet in our thule trailer. Not that they wouldn't be in rainproof footwear if it were raining, but ya know..

This has been our experience w Thule too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

My loving Nexus 5 just ate its 2 top gears yay.

Got my hub back from the LBS (the nexus 5 di2 that crunched itself after all of 3 months). Verdict is water ingress allowed a one way bearing to oxidize, and rust got into the top 2 gearsets.

Now on the plus side, Shimano was easy to work with and cross-shipped us new internals but on the other hand IT'S loving 3 MONTHS OLD WHAT THE gently caress YOU TURDS.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
30 minutes to go 5km. Canada eh?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Verdict is water ingress

evil_bunnY posted:

I have one of those small medium pressure washers and it's the tits. Load it up with warm water, hose down in 3 minutes, let bike dry in the garage.

:thunk:

e: might have just been condensation from temperature cycling. I haven't felt like those things have had enough lube to actually do water displacement when I have opened them up. I fill 'em up with enough tenacious oil to ooze out the bearings if I don't need to worry about getting oil on the carpet.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 3, 2021

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

VideoGameVet posted:

Big nest on the top of a pole at Pepper Park in National City.

Yep, that’s the one. Nice detour on the loop around Coronado Bay!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I don't pressure wash the hubs/BB for this very reason, which is what made it all the more frustrating. It is kept in a heated place at night (after riding in mostly -10C weather), so that might be it.

CopperHound posted:

I haven't felt like those things have had enough lube to actually do water displacement when I have opened them up. I fill 'em up with enough tenacious oil to ooze out the bearings if I don't need to worry about getting oil on the carpet.
Yeah the LBS said he put "as much as he dared" in there with the new internals to try and alleviate further issues.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Holy poo poo got hit hard by rain today. The worst of it was my socks getting wet and then getting my otherwise water-proof shoes wet from the inside, though to be honest their just amateur hiking books and they would've gotten wet eventually because it was raining. The wind was super strong too. I genuinely saw a strong sustained gust make a woman do a front flip. I went to see how she was. She had banged up her knee something fierce but she said she was fine otherwise.

All that to ask, are there such things as water-proof socks and what would you recommend if so? It was very unpleasant to do 40 minutes with squishy wet feet and I'm not so crazy to want to pedal barefoot or with water-shoes or something.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Are your pants waterproof and do they go past the top of your shoes?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

All that to ask, are there such things as water-proof socks and what would you recommend if so?
Yes, but I would recommend trying wool first. Still gets wet, but isn't miserable squishy wet.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
When I know I'll get rained on for real I just go for the rubber boots, tucked under rain pants. Super useful footwear, everyone should have a pair unless they live in the desert or something. Where I live you mostly see them on kids though because adults forget how to dress properly for some reason (vanity I guess).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CopperHound posted:

Yes, but I would recommend trying wool first. Still gets wet, but isn't miserable squishy wet.

I'll keep that in mind, as I've stated previously, being wet isn't all that bad, but the squishiness made me feel like there was a puddle in my shoe. Which is still wet. I'll have to wear a different pair of boots tomorrow.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Fair point. I could solve this whole issue by just wearing my water-proof pants that do both of these things. But they make me so warm and uncomfortable. It's a question of what sort of degree of wet I want to be. Cold and wet with water that slides off rather quickly/is dried up by a towel. Or warm and sticky wet with my own sweat that won't go away even after wiped away since I'm making it. Both are valid options. But if it's pouring I really should just put on the pants I guess, getting my shoes wet from the inside is very inconvenient.

Anyway, thanks!

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Invalido posted:

When I know I'll get rained on for real I just go for the rubber boots, tucked under rain pants.

I split the difference and wear some chunky waterproof* hiking boots in very wet or slushy conditions.

*because they're laced, they're probably only waterproof up to around ankle height.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

depending on how the tongue is attached to the upper, they could well be waterproof all the way up

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that's literally the job of a tongue gusset.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Giant Metal Robot posted:

lol no because they were shorts

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't know what the French word for them is, but try looking for gaiters
https://www.google.com/search?q=gai...iw=1920&bih=976
EDIT: I'm in Australia so this page of GIS results is full of advertisements for snake-resistant leg coverings. Which is hilarious. And, if you find something you really really want but it's not available in France, let me know and we can try to work something out that will probably involve silly shipping costs and months to get there.

They were invented centuries ago before trousers were really a thing and everybody wore long socks and other random bits of fabric on their legs and yeah, getting that wet was uncomfortable. These days, lots of people who like to wear shorts in less-than-lovely weather put their gaiters on and keep their feet dry.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 5, 2021

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT: I'm in Australia so this page of GIS results is full of advertisements for snake-resistant leg coverings. Which is hilarious. And, if you find something you really really want but it's not available in France, let me know and we can try to work something out that will probably involve silly shipping costs and months to get there.

They were invented centuries ago before trousers were really a thing and everybody wore long socks and other random bits of fabric on their legs and yeah, getting that wet was uncomfortable. These days, lots of people who like to wear shorts in less-than-lovely weather put their gaiters on and keep their feet dry.

The English word is French. Tu cherches des guêtres.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ExecuDork posted:

Oh wow that looks perfect. Thank you. I’m going to be super ready for the spring showers.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
velotoze makes some waterproof covers

https://www.velotoze.com/collections/shoe-covers

and these

https://www.velotoze.com/collections/accessories/products/waterproof-cuff

I want those or something similar to take up the gap between my water resistant tights and gore-tex shoes.

The sock catches some spray and eventually I feel that creeping down into my shoe.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Our winter has finally turned from a wet, dark, lovely excuse to some decent snow and sun, so I rode to work for a meeting.
The commute:
The meeting "room":
The happy rider:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Hello again! I'll just drop this here. Take it from a Canadian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aESqrP3hfi8

Cycling here temporarily became extra fun because we had a bit of a snowstorm yesterday, the first one in over 10 years. It's been a while since I had to bike in such snow, but it's quite doable because it's so powdery. They were having trouble clearing the bike paths though, because all the snow just blows right back onto it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

lol at that video making it seem like dutch bikes for people in need are common here in Winnipeg, and when I look at their site their bikes are $1.5k plus so it's still hipster bougie poo poo. The majority of the the winter bikes I see here are beater hybrids or department store mountain bikes, although fatbikes are becoming super common here as they come down in price with Costco and Canadian Tire options becoming available.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

lol at that video making it seem like dutch bikes for people in need are common here in Winnipeg, and when I look at their site their bikes are $1.5k plus so it's still hipster bougie poo poo. The majority of the the winter bikes I see here are beater hybrids or department store mountain bikes, although fatbikes are becoming super common here as they come down in price with Costco and Canadian Tire options becoming available.

Dutch bikes in Canada definitely are. We see them roll through the shop whenever that one guy imports a sea can full of them and we're pretty sure they're fished directly out of the canals in Amsterdam thrown in the can and brought directly to us. They weigh way too much ride like poo poo and are way too expensive for what they are. Overall they're a joyless experience in every way and I'd rather be part of a society where occasionally having to dodge a psychotic driver in an F-150 on my way to work is part of my life than join the mindset that would willingly ride one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Omafiets'es are Good Actually. In the netherlands, which is flat and perfectly adapted to bikes for transportation.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
You guys spontaneously combust if you see a fender.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
cool, it’s this discussion again

great job

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Any time Entropist posts anything, really

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

I rode a Pashley, it felt really nice and made me happy. Still wouldn't own one in my city because sometimes there's a grade of more than 0.5% and that's why we developed nicer bikes since the 1910s.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

You guys spontaneously combust if you see a fender.
No those are great for all commuters

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My commuter has fenders and a pannier rack and also doesn't weigh 200lbs and is actually still fun to ride while also being practical.

Also yesterday for the first time in this cold snap I didn't have alternative means of transport and this winter overall spoiled me so much I completely forgot how to dress for -40 wind chill so I ended up having to do a partial strip tease on the side of the road.

The snow is compacted down to the point where it's like riding on hardpack it might be cold but it's also so very nice to ride on.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

evil_bunnY posted:

No those are great for all commuters

I mean, tbh fenders are great for all cyclists.
I only know a tiny fraction of racers who don't use fenders.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I mean, tbh fenders are great for all cyclists.
I only know a tiny fraction of racers who don't use fenders.
Yeah back when I rode road bikes with friends we all thought it was kinda lovely to not use them in a pack. So much less cleaning.

EvilJoven posted:

The snow is compacted down to the point where it's like riding on hardpack it might be cold but it's also so very nice to ride on.
This is good. The city here seems to forget that paths need maintenance even when it's not actively snowing so today some paths were covered by that sandy kind of snow that gets ground out of hardpack by the traffic. It made riding unnecessarily dicey.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
We call that brown sugar and it suuuuuuuuuuuucks. That stuff just doesn't seem to form nearly as much when it gets down below -20c.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, looks like I'm moving into a new place that will cut my ride to the office from 6mi to 3mi. That's great and all, but a part of me is honestly bummed to be losing those extra miles.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Go the long way.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm good about tacking miles onto my ride home, but I will never wake up early enough to not have to sprint the shortest route possible

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Refreshing and positive thread about someone getting into bike commuting:
https://twitter.com/SarahJ_Berry/status/1358461390302949376

Have to go pretty deep before one of the Entropist types shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

XIII posted:

I'm good about tacking miles onto my ride home, but I will never wake up early enough to not have to sprint the shortest route possible

I do the opposite. My work is about 4 miles away straight line and in the morning I take a chill detour through a park which brings it up to 6-7 miles. This sets me up pretty well for the day and it also avoids a pretty big hill. On the way home I just want to get home ASAP and smash it along the main road that takes me right there.