Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

7 RING SHRIMP posted:

SUCK MY DICK AND EAT MY rear end FROM THE BACK

Hey Tom congrats on the 7th!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

7 RING SHRIMP posted:

hey dad

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

7 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yessssssssssssssssss X RING SHRIMP IS BACK BIZNATCHES

:chord:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Da shrimpman returns

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Tom Brady does more with his Adrenochrome than any of our politicians.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
What a great, great day.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

7 RING SHRIMP posted:

It was all worth it for shrimp being back

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Athanatos posted:

It was all worth it for shrimp being back

:hmmyes:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Magnetic North posted:

I like the narrative that "Tom Brady cements legacy with 7th super bowl" etc. Like, the foundation is already there and it's accepted by anyone who's not being obdurate. This is more like filling the entire first floor of the already constructed and engineer-certified legacy building with cement.

Tom Brady adds garish extension to palatial mansion, totally clashes with existing style, still everyone loves it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It looks like Tom is still being disrespected and needs me to step in and defend his honor.

What I find so laughable about the moronic system QB argument, which isn’t even an “argument” in a strict sense but just the occasional poster invoking those two magic words as a way to avoid actually saying anything substantive, is that even if that were the case, nobody seems to be able to explain what that system is. Tom has played through, and indeed become the archetype for several eras of offensive football philosophy. The first dynasty, before Brady was Brady, had a completely different play style than than 2006-2010 years, which was again phased out for the 2011-2016 years, which then pivoted again for his final years in NE. If he’s a system QB, he’s a system QB who can apparently play in many systems, many of which were designed and perfected by him.

Like, doesn’t it speak volumes that the Patriots went through like 4 major stylistic iterations and Tom took them to Super Bowls in each phase?

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
I think what's frustrating about Tom Brady is how insanely lucky he is in addition to being incredible at football. People often defensively want to shut down any discussion of his good fortune as others trying to be dismissive of his contributions (and that's fair enough, people are often trying to be dismissive), but when there are important games balancing on the point of needing one unlikely thing to happen, it just goes his way so often. And many times it's not even something he has any control over, just a weird defensive play, poor decision making by the opposing team, whatever, it just works out, and then he's very good at football and capitalizes on that fortune of course, which I'm not denying is a huge part of the equation.

It's just annoying when someone is both extremely good and extremely lucky, but that's how records are set I suppose.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

He’s also had weird bad luck in his super bowl loses.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s also had weird bad luck in his super bowl loses.

eli manning was born with a vestigial horseshoe and was swaddled with a blanket woven out of four leaf clovers you can't compete with that

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Athanatos posted:

Goes up starting tomorrow

I could go for a “GOAT LOAD” tag :hmmyes:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Jivesauce posted:

I think what's frustrating about Tom Brady is how insanely lucky he is in addition to being incredible at football. People often defensively want to shut down any discussion of his good fortune as others trying to be dismissive of his contributions (and that's fair enough, people are often trying to be dismissive), but when there are important games balancing on the point of needing one unlikely thing to happen, it just goes his way so often. And many times it's not even something he has any control over, just a weird defensive play, poor decision making by the opposing team, whatever, it just works out, and then he's very good at football and capitalizes on that fortune of course, which I'm not denying is a huge part of the equation.

It's just annoying when someone is both extremely good and extremely lucky, but that's how records are set I suppose.

This is very true. What’s crazy is that because of the razor thin margins, it’s easy see how Brady could’ve gone 7-2 in SBs but with different wins and losses. Beating NYG and losing to SEA or whatever, for instance. Losing to ATL but beating PHL. You absolutely cannot win 7 SBs without some luck, but you gotta get to 10 SBs in the first place, which isn’t a mere matter of luck (as you stated)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
the real bummer of Brady is that his last two SBs have been pretty bad games, while before that every game was a classic

this is his fault, as he got full booking control before the 2019 season

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
let us cleanse ourselves in the goat load

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Congrats to Tom Brady for striking a blow for social justice. Perhaps this will raise awareness and spur the Chiefs to change their racist name.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Was thinking about Jerry Rice and how he's not that great. He wasn't the fastest. He wasn't the biggest or strongest. He didn't have the best hands - sure his were great but even today there are players who have better hands than him. Yeah sure he racked up a lot of big gaudy counting stats cause he played so long. But he wasn't really exceptionally great at any one thing in a special way, AND he got to play with some all time great QBs.

So when you think about it, Jerry Rice is really not special.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The Goat Load is in the ad rotation

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Tom Brady has no peers, living or dead, lol

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

this basically summarizes the last 15 pages of the aftermath thread

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

This is so good https://defector.com/tom-brady-is-just-loving-impossible/

quote:

I’ve grown so accustomed to the inevitability of Tom Brady over the past two decades that the never-ending, near cosmic unlikelihood of his accomplishments has yet to really sink in. Brady has become such a persistent—and often really loving annoying—presence in every American’s life that it’s very easy to find reasons to despise him. And, more importantly, to discredit him. I’m a longtime veteran of the Brady Hatin’ Society, so I have all these reasons etched into the walls of my quarantine cave. He ain’t played nobody. He bought off the refs (especially in the first half last night). He’s TOTALLY on roids. Artisanal roids. Way better roids than all the other players get. He’s a smiley MAGA fuckhead. And he deflated footballs that one time, which didn’t make a loving difference at all but which I still held against him because it was fun to do so.

But in the end, none of those reasons have proven terribly valid. In the end, there is always Brady, smiling that idiot smile of his while a soft monsoon of confetti envelops him. He’s been doing this for so long that I can barely grasp it. Look how loving old the footage of his first Super Bowl victory is:

https://twitter.com/nflthrowback/status/1356390478485180416

Football wasn’t even the same sport back in 2002. The NFL was still hiding concussion data with nonchalant abandon. John Madden was an actual guy on TV. Shoulder pads were large enough to be mistaken for an ’80s Armani suit. No one ever went for it on fourth down. The Houston Texans didn’t exist yet. I could go on and on with all the DON’T YOU FEEL OLD NOW? factoids, but none of those have the same effect as hitting play on that link and seeing Brady demonstrate a command that he retains today, 19 years and six MORE rings later. It’s as if everything since that drive has aged horribly EXCEPT for Brady.

This poo poo doesn’t happen. History says so. Johnny Unitas ended his career in San Diego, miserable and homesick for thunderstorms. Michael Jordan came back and spent two forgettable years playing for the Washington Wizards in what was essentially a cynical ploy to cement a front office gig that Jordan would discover, to his great anger, was not guaranteed to him. Joe Montana was traded to the Chiefs at the end of his career and dragged them to an AFC title game for one last hit of the old magic before all the fumes inevitably left the tank.

That last bit of magic is usually the best you get. I watched Peyton Manning go out on top, but Manning won his second and final title the same year he got benched for Brock Osweiler. Manning, forever linked to Brady as his chief rival, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame this summer, five years after that title. Brady won another one just yesterday, and is favored to win his eighth a year from now with a Bucs team that is suddenly loaded everywhere, even on its coaching staff.

These are not last gasps Brady is delivering. It’s not like seeing Tiger Woods come back from addiction and scandal to win a Masters at age 43. Tiger Woods had to wander the desert for over a loving decade before his miracle win at Augusta in 2019. But nothing Brady, also 43, has done in the interim has been miraculous, or desperate. He’s never had to come back out of the wilderness. He’s never had to re-discover something he’s lost. He’s never lost ANYTHING.

This is so far from the norm that the instinctive response to Brady’s seemingly eternal brilliance—well, it’s instinctive if you’re sick to death of him—is to accuse him of playing with loaded dice somehow. But this morning, those accusations feel not just hollow, but pathetic. I look back at my complaints about Brady from the past few weeks, or months, or years, and they all read as desperate. Tiresome, if I’m being honest. My complaints about Brady are loving older than Brady himself. And look where they’ve gotten me.

Meanwhile, Brady keeps going. He says he wants to play until he’s 45, but now that feels like an underestimation. All signs of his decline thus far have proven illusory. Wishful thinking. I know because I spent last offseason being like LOL ONLY TAMPA WANTS SORRY-rear end TOM BRADY. I fully expected him to eat poo poo in 2020 because I WANTED him to. But what I want and what is have nothing at all to do with one another. There is a false reality I’ve constructed around Tom Brady—he only won because of luck, or because of coaching, or because of his teammates covering his rear end, or because the outcome was always rigged in his favor—that doesn’t match what I’ve seen with my own eyes. Maybe (probably) my disbelief comes from contempt, or perhaps it stems from the fact that I’m watching Tom Brady do poo poo no one has ever done before, and my brain won’t let me take it at face value.

But I need to accept it. I need to accept that Brady is performing feats of athleticism and statistical import that I assumed died back when, like, Cy Young was alive. I assumed wrong, and it’s more freeing and more fun to acknowledge that Tom Brady really is doing what he’s doing right now. After all, the whole reason you watch sports is for the impossible. For THIS. Tom Brady is the greatest football player of all time. If you wanna call him the greatest athlete of all time, by all means. I won’t fight you. I’m too tired to do that. I ran out of gas well before the man himself. I am beaten, and so is anyone else who ever dared to test Tom Brady. He can’t be beaten. It doesn’t happen.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

7 RING SHRIMP posted:

All hail Tom Brady

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there will be a tom gronkowski, or tonk, in the league

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

what loving dork wrote this

now is the time to dig in harder than ever

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ehud posted:

what loving dork wrote this

now is the time to dig in harder than ever

The first step is acceptance.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
people all over the globe are finding their own ways to celebrate tom brady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AslhRtTdKSw

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Reminder that Brady is also going to pass Brees for all-time passing yards leader next year

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

7 RING SHRIMP posted:

welcome back, my lord

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/bostonsportsinf/status/1358793199297441799

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm rooting for Brady this year because I don't want Mahomes to ever beat his old rear end in the big game, ever. Need the asterisk on Mahomes goatness.

Thanks Brady

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Thanks Brady

Mahomes in two Super Bowls has thrown 2 TDs and 4 INTs and has a QB rating under 60.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

He's a cylon.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/iamTannenbaum/status/1358639616467890176

Notice that through all the changes his forehead remains in its normal god given size and shape.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

god drat he’s had so much work done

spend more time in the playbook and less under the knife IMHO

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Ehud posted:

god drat he’s had so much work done

spend more time in the playbook and less under the knife IMHO

agreed, he should work harder to win more super bowls