Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Benning's job is going to be saved by a league wide covid shutdown, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure whichever of the Canucks/Flames was gonna miss the playoffs last year would have fired their GM, so it could be the second time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Jarmo targeted guys who can score because Torts' plan does not work.

Yeah thank god people figured out you can destroy trap hockey with fast skaters and stretch passes cause that poo poo sucks. I mean two boring teams are still gonna be able to grind games to dust but a team constructed with old school defense first mentality is gonna get wrecked by a high skill team every time.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Are there any bones to the rumor that the Rangers fired Torts because he was scaring off/ trying to get rid of Lundqvist? Because that makes a lot of sense, in retrospect.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DJExile posted:

If you like absolutely loaded prospect pipelines that never move up to the NHL team, then Ron is 100% your guy.

What's a prospect?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah thank god people figured out you can destroy trap hockey with fast skaters and stretch passes cause that poo poo sucks. I mean two boring teams are still gonna be able to grind games to dust but a team constructed with old school defense first mentality is gonna get wrecked by a high skill team every time.

the Columbus sweep of an absolutely loaded Tampa Bay team wasn't that long ago, and St. Louis won a cup by grinding the poo poo out of everyone. I agree it's not entertaining hockey and teams have started to find ways to beat it, but it's not like it hasn't been used effectively before.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

If you like absolutely loaded prospect pipelines that never move up to the NHL team, then Ron is 100% your guy.

He also micromanages to the point where the concessions guys are like why is Ron Hextall calling me?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

DJExile posted:

the Columbus sweep of an absolutely loaded Tampa Bay team wasn't that long ago, and St. Louis won a cup by grinding the poo poo out of everyone. I agree it's not entertaining hockey and teams have started to find ways to beat it, but it's not like it hasn't been used effectively before.

Trapping hockey still absolutely works in today's game, on a game-to-game basis, especially with refs swallowing their whistles at increasing rates. The issue is that, even since just the 90s, conditioning has gotten better, players are getting bigger, and focus on speed have gotten so prevalent, that the physical toll of grinding and blocking shots and banging bodies and only generating offense on counter-attacks requires a poo poo ton of external luck to be able to sustain for the almost 100 games in (traditionally) 8 months it requires to win a stanley cup. That's the reason why a team like the Islanders always starts hot and then seems to stumble in February, and why they were so good in the bubble after getting 4 months to sit and get healthy and re-start their entire system.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
This is Torts' last year in Columbus isn't it?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is Torts' last year in Columbus isn't it?

He has a pretty limited shelf life and getting your manager to trade a kid you don't like only to immediately bench the guy you traded him for speaks of attitude problems over institutional ones.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm honestly terrified of Hextall becoming the Penguins GM because he kept Hakstol around loving forever in Philly and it sounds like a recipe for Mike Johnston Experience 2: Return of The System.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm honestly terrified of Hextall becoming the Penguins GM because he kept Hakstol around loving forever in Philly and it sounds like a recipe for Mike Johnston Experience 2: Return of The System.

Mike Johnson isn't Ron's hire though. Hakstol was.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Torts owns gently caress Laine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DJExile posted:

Mike Johnson isn't Ron's hire though. Hakstol was.

Yeah but it was the same kind of hire--manifestly unqualified to be an NHL coach, unsurprisingly turned out to be bad at it--which worries me. Hell if anything Hakstol was worse because at least Johnston was SO incompetent he only lasted a year and a half, whereas Hakstol hung around for three and a half years.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 9, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

John Tortorella is a bad person and his son is a baby killer.

He's the Andy Reid of hockey.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The media loves Andy Reid though.

Re: Laine, on one hand him getting so quickly into the doghouse of two different coaches makes me think he really must have some off-ice attitude problems in addition to his refusal to even pretend to care about playing defense on the ice. On the other hand, the coaches involved are Maurice and Torts who are both very much stuck in a 1998 mentality. Laine is Ovechkin Lite: he was put on this Earth to stand on the left faceoff dot for every minute of every power play and blast one timers and score 50 goals a year. If you're getting rid of him because he doesn't play defense then you're probably being so dogmatic about How Hockey Is Supposed To Be Played that you're handicapping yourself.

I also sympathize with the "the system only works if ALL the players buy in and if one guy's allowed to be lazy everyone will be" belief--but there are a few guys so talented at something other than positional defense and blocking shots that they can and should be exceptions. You can and should tell the other guys on the team "when you score 50 a year, then we'll talk, until then block those goddamn shots."

Also I'd be willing to bet Torts never wanted Laine and Jarmo overruled him and made the trade anyway, which means that town ain't big enough for the both of them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1359164505402593287

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

It's very much cash in and rebuild time imo. Letang and Malkin both have a year left (after this season) and I think if the Pens can get value out of trading those contracts maybe they do. However, not a ton of picks and there is a mess of contracts now from GM JR just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what stuck.

It'll be different that's for sure and if he isn't handing out dumb as gently caress offseason contracts that would be nice. Also get rid of Matheson. I think you could potentially pivot the roster, but man it's iffy. I don't think this team and it's current system is near a cup though.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1359167867850219528

:rip:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wellp https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1359167867850219528

E: KILZA! :doom:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Just cancel the season and give Ovie 50 more goals in the official stats.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 9, 2021

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1359169844931923972

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's very much cash in and rebuild time imo. Letang and Malkin both have a year left (after this season) and I think if the Pens can get value out of trading those contracts maybe they do. However, not a ton of picks and there is a mess of contracts now from GM JR just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what stuck.

You'll recall Rutherford's departure happened because he worked out a deal to trade Letang and ownership refused to allow it. Letang and Malkin aren't going anywhere and in fact will probably be re-signed.

e: I would love to be wrong but I think there are a lot of warning signs that Letang and Malkin are both just... finished. So many injuries have piled up over the years on those guys. I'm more hopeful about Malkin eventually bouncing back but Letang's entire game has always revolved around speed and pure panache. Now he can't outskate his aggressive mistakes anymore, but he can't just change what kind of player he fundamentally is. One of the most fascinating players I ever watched, but he's done. Refusing to unload him when they had a chance was a gigantic megablunder by ownership IMO.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 9, 2021

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1359171496757891079

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

You'll recall Rutherford's departure happened because he worked out a deal to trade Letang and ownership refused to allow it. Letang and Malkin aren't going anywhere and in fact will probably be re-signed.

Oh I'm very aware. I shudder to think what the return for Letang would have been though...actually wonder if that trade would have been with Winnipeg.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oh I'm very aware. I shudder to think what the return for Letang would have been though...actually wonder if that trade would have been with Winnipeg.

Yeah it's possible/maybe probable they would just have been trading him for someone else's bad contract. I'd have been happy with nothing more than getting most of his salary off the cap.

God I would love to see Laine on Crosby's wing, but I'm pretty sure the Penguins would completely fail to retool their power play around him even if they had him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

welp :rip:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Shut down the US divisions, bring the surviving teams to Canada so an American team can with the cup on Canadian soil for a change.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Or, and hear me out, we just remove the American teams from this season and whoever wins the Canadian Division gets crowned the Stanley Cup champ.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Hextall's patient approach might be a breath of fresh air after the past few years of JR flailing around with reactionary moves. JR was terrific for the two Cup wins but man did he ever make some awful moves since then.

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: I would love to be wrong but I think there are a lot of warning signs that Letang and Malkin are both just... finished. So many injuries have piled up over the years on those guys. I'm more hopeful about Malkin eventually bouncing back but Letang's entire game has always revolved around speed and pure panache. Now he can't outskate his aggressive mistakes anymore, but he can't just change what kind of player he fundamentally is. One of the most fascinating players I ever watched, but he's done. Refusing to unload him when they had a chance was a gigantic megablunder by ownership IMO.

What do you think they would get for a 33 year old injury prone Letang? Considering they're still trying to win cups it's probably the better move to keep Letang and Malkin. Not gonna be many trades out there which would result in a better win-now team.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Twin Cinema posted:

Or, and hear me out, we just remove the American teams from this season and whoever wins the Canadian Division gets crowned the Stanley Cup champ.

I thought about that and then checked the standings and decided against it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I thought it was with the Habs
in which case I am almost certain it would have been Weber for Letang

Petry for Letang I could maybe have lived with

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I thought it was with the Habs
in which case I am almost certain it would have been Weber for Letang

Petry for Letang I could maybe have lived with

Neither of those make a lick of sense to me. If you're moving Letang it's to get younger and recuperate assets for the farm system so something like young playable d with upside + first round pick or something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1359176579511902210

well that's my evening and weekend and probably next week freed up

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Misanthrope posted:

Shut down the US divisions, bring the surviving teams to Canada so an American team can with the cup on Canadian soil for a change.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

I mean, the Bolts already won the Cup in Edmonton last year, so nothing would change :v:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Getting real monkey paw energy from this post

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That was ten years ago, who can even remember that far back?!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That was ten years ago, who can even remember that far back?!

Toronto and Montreal fans.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Is it me or is the NHL just comically worse than every other league at dealing with COVID?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mind_Taker posted:

Is it me or is the NHL just comically worse than every other league at dealing with COVID?

This is the league that, two nights ago, allowed a goal to stand which shouldn't have because its own review system is such garbage that an intern on a hot mic was confused as an actual official so...