Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I'm honestly not sure whether to make the thread title about Pittsburgh or TSN.

this thread: your pens thread title
sports broadcasting thread: your tsn thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aye Doc posted:

this thread: your pens thread title
sports broadcasting thread: your tsn thread title

Let's give these two a spin, then

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/1359221734579310595

That Oilers-Sens game is gonna draw, like, 15 viewers in the US.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

Burkie is 65 now, you really think athletic, powerful, handsome, masculine Steve Yzerman is gonna be afraid of fist fighting him in a barn?

Truculence: your will to fight in a barn.

And Stevie Y ain’t got none.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
"This is the greatest day in the history of the NHL."

-Flyers' fans, probably.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I love this Burke hiring because it gets him off my TV.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So if you put Hakstol and Burke together you end up with a team that only drafts players over 6' 4" but they're also all going to turn out to be surprisingly highly skilled

That's how this works right

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So if you put Hakstol and Burke together you end up with a team that only drafts players over 6' 4" but they're also all going to turn out to be surprisingly highly skilled

That's how this works right

Yes, and they'll do great when you get to the NCAA playoffs.

Wait a second...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hextall as GM and Burke as Pres of Hockey ops is like the type of moves I'd make in Eastside Hockey Manager to troll myself.

I kinda love that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Kilza posted:

ONE OF THOSE VIEWERS WILL BE ME

this is what America deserves to watch

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

grack posted:

"This is the greatest day in the history of the NHL."

-Flyers' fans, probably.

Nah, our precondition to always assume the worst makes all believe Hextall will win at least 5 cups in Pittsburgh before the Flyers win one

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I guess Tom Barrasso was unavailable?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

fancy stats posted:

:same:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

fancy stats posted:

This day is a huge win for William Nylander

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Stoked for this poo poo show.

Kilza posted:

I'll probably watch it to see if McDavid puts up 10 points.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I think I had a touch of a stomach bug overnight. Nothing crippling, but enough to require a half day of work and a nap.

I clearly picked an awful time to take that nap.

Mikko Koivu may have decided he didn't have anything else left in the tank. He looked okay in his first couple games, but seemed particularly off in the first Carolina game.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sprague, who do you want the next Jackets coach to be?

Someone who will implore his team that they can't just want it, they got to go out and loving want it.

Or Brad Shaw, since people around the league have thought he's head coach material for a couple years now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Someone who will implore his team that they can't just want it, they got to go out and loving want it.

Michel Therrien would listen if they called!

e: wait, I just realized he's probably going to be returning to the Penguins. Brian Burke, right, I almost forgot.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I think I had a touch of a stomach bug overnight. Nothing crippling, but enough to require a half day of work and a nap.

I clearly picked an awful time to take that nap.

Mikko Koivu may have decided he didn't have anything else left in the tank. He looked okay in his first couple games, but seemed particularly off in the first Carolina game.

Or Brad Shaw, since people around the league have thought he's head coach material for a couple years now.

Mike Sullivan will probably be available soon enough
Though for a skill roster I don't see how you could do better than Gallant or Boudreau
at least if you like fun hockey if not necessarily good hockey

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bruce as jackets coach would be absolutely fascinating

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sully was Torts' protege though so that would be a bit of an awkward hire for CBJ.

I wish to the gods the Penguins would hire Boudreau but never gonna happen.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

fancy stats posted:

:yeah:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No Burke on TV and a moron in management for the Penguins? What a day.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1359232472010137600

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the penguins aren't gonna rebuild folks, it's time for the dreaded Re-Tooling. cup contenders by 2023 baybee

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I had a draft of a post ready to go before I laid down, thinking the world wouldn't loving explode between then and when I woke up. Please enjoy:
____
Lost in the shuffle of "lol gently caress Torts" is Laine was the subject of his own "This Guy Scored" last night, which probably didn't help his coach's mood:
https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1358956784870899718

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is Torts' last year in Columbus isn't it?

This is a contract year and there was some speculation he might've retired at the end of last season, so things seem to be trending that way.

DJExile posted:

the Columbus sweep of an absolutely loaded Tampa Bay team wasn't that long ago, and St. Louis won a cup by grinding the poo poo out of everyone. I agree it's not entertaining hockey and teams have started to find ways to beat it, but it's not like it hasn't been used effectively before.

It's a boring-rear end brand of hockey, but it's gotten what used to be a dumpster fire of a franchise to the playoffs four straight seasons and, somehow, to second in the NHL Central Division presented by Discover Card. I'm willing to tolerate it (until Torts hangs it up/is fired into the Sun) if the alternative is the bad old days.
___
Now, back to live action:

How the gently caress did Burke get thrown in with Hextall in Pittsburgh? :wtc:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1359232873014972416
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1359234152726487044

That makes sense. As I said before, he hadn't looked great the last couple games.

Though for a skill roster I don't see how you could do better than Gallant or Boudreau
at least if you like fun hockey if not necessarily good hockey

For some reason, I thought Gallant was tied to Seattle, but he's not. I remember people 'round these parts saying a few years ago "If Boudreau is available, with that young roster, you shitcan Torts five minutes ago." I'd take either Bruce or new and improved, Gerard Gallant 2.0.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 9, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

NHL today:

https://i.imgur.com/PSyUndi.mp4

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

For what it's worth in this :tif: season, the Jackets team with potential coaching drama is second in the Discover Card presents the Central Division standings. :iiam:

More Koivu:
https://twitter.com/_jcmyers/status/1359232443350470657

e- This reminds me of when Vinny Prospal attempted a comeback with the Canucks organization (which may or may not have had to do with Torts) and got to Utica, at which point he realized there was nothing left in the tank and hung it up.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 9, 2021

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

Burkie is 65 now, you really think athletic, powerful, handsome, masculine Steve Yzerman is gonna be afraid of fist fighting him in a barn?

What’s the seeding for an exec fight club tournament?

Hextall, Shanahan and Gallant when he gets a new job would be he top seeds. Maybe Geurin too. Stevie and Francis would be at the bottom of the players tier but above all the career execs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I feel bad for my friend who's having a real lovely time, is home sick and is daysleeping, and is going to wake up to check the news about his two teams, the Pens and the Jackets.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Doesn't it become a logistical issue after a certain point? How the hell they gonna make up all these games they're cancelling and still finish on time?
They don't need to play 56 games, and that number was created with some expectation of fan's returning anyways.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Arivia posted:

I feel bad for my friend who's having a real lovely time, is home sick and is daysleeping, and is going to wake up to check the news about his two teams, the Pens and the Jackets.

I can act as a surrogate because I'm in your friend's position!

"Why are there 89 unread posts in the last three hours? Did a bunch of games get cancelled? Did they shut down the league?"
(sees Tortorella news)
"Oh." :yikes:
(sees Burke+Hextall to PIT news)
"OH" :wtc:
(sees Mikko Koivu news)
"Oh?"

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- This reminds me of when Vinny Prospal attempted a comeback with the Canucks organization (which may or may not have had to do with Torts) and got to Utica, at which point he realized there was nothing left in the tank and hung it up.

Imagine flying across Canada, then getting on another plane to Syracuse, then finding out you have to drive another hour to Utica. I would have fuckin quit too.

Just a dead eyed stare thinking this is my life now, leaving the metropolis by comparison of Syracuse to play in loving utica when you have a few million still in the bank waiting for you at home.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

pseudodragon posted:

Hextall, Shanahan and Gallant when he gets a new job would be he top seeds. Maybe Geurin too. Stevie and Francis would be at the bottom of the players tier but above all the career execs.

marcbergevinarms.webp

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

For what it's worth in this :tif: season, the Jackets team with potential coaching drama is second in the Discover Card presents the Central Division standings. :iiam:

They're 6th by Pt% (the only ordering that matters), behind the 4 teams that have had games postponed + Chicago.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Koivu is I think now the fifth dude in the past two years that mysteriously does not publicly blame the coach or organization but simply does not want to play for them anymore

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

pseudodragon posted:

Rob Blake would be up there. Among career execs my money is on Bill Peters.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Arivia posted:

CBJSprague24 posted:

I can act as a surrogate because I'm in your friend's position!

"Why are there 89 unread posts in the last three hours? Did a bunch of games get cancelled? Did they shut down the league?"
(sees Tortorella news)
"Oh." :yikes:
(sees Burke+Hextall to PIT news)
"OH" :wtc:
(sees Mikko Koivu news)
"Oh?"

I forgot about the Bell news in my recap of drinking from the firehose when I woke up.

pseudodragon posted:

Do people with "team ambassador" or development coach as a title count as executives? Columbus submits Jody Shelley, Jared Boll, and Jarkko Ruutu for entry.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Koivu is I think now the fifth dude in the past two years that mysteriously does not publicly blame the coach or organization but simply does not want to play for them anymore

Yeah either Columbus is a REALLY lovely city or we can read between the lines here.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I hope that Colton Orr will be sitting by his phone today, ready for the callup when it comes :)

who are the toughest guys that can be air lifted into Pittsburgh on short notice? The season is on the line!

**all joking aside I remember when that Rutherford was hired into Pittsburgh he had a reputation as being an anti-analytics luddite who had screwed up the Carolina Hurricanes franchise Ken Holland style. He did way better than anyone really thought he would. Things just seem to work out for Pittsburgh.. the franchise players fall into their lap, and every dude they pull out of the AHL turns out to be a hidden gem. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Starsfan posted:

I hope that Colton Orr will be sitting by his phone today, ready for the callup when it comes :)

who are the toughest guys that can be air lifted into Pittsburgh on short notice? The season is on the line!

**all joking aside I remember when that Rutherford was hired into Pittsburgh he had a reputation as being an anti-analytics luddite who had screwed up the Carolina Hurricanes franchise Ken Holland style. He did way better than anyone really thought he would. Things just seem to work out for Pittsburgh.. the franchise players fall into their lap, and every dude they pull out of the AHL turns out to be a hidden gem. I'm sure they'll be fine.

That only actually happened for two years, and then it seemed like having proved his point that he can win with modern skating+passing players, Rutherford abruptly reversed course and went about acquiring all the big slow ~tough~ players he could as fast as he could. It was weird. Like he knows how to build a successful team in the 21st century, but resents it.