Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

thehoodie posted:

Yeah either Columbus is a REALLY lovely city or we can read between the lines here.

When you look at types like Nick Foligno (donated a fuckton of money to Nationwide Children's Hospital), Cam Atkinson (active in the community and said he doesn't want to play anywhere else), Oliver Bjorkstrand (re-upped for five years during the PLD drama), Scott Hartnell (had hoped to finish his career with the CBJ) and Rick Nash (came back after retiring), it might narrow down your targeting. Mark Letestu isn't as big a name, but built a house in town even before he went to Winnipeg for a year.

Or it could be neither of the above. Koivu being 37 and feeling he's got nothing left in the tank is totally plausible. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or probably more accurately, feeling like no way in hell is he going to work his rear end off to stay in shape if his coach is going to scratch him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

who are the toughest guys that can be air lifted into Pittsburgh on short notice? The season is on the line!

Jake Virtanen is tough, has lots of potential and loves to hit! He's a great skater and has a wicked release! Overall, a real budding power forward. (1) Best of all he's currently available for a low, low price!

(1) As per Ron Delorme, Head Scout Vancouver Canucks, accessed 15 May 2014.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't live in Columbus and am also under no impression that it is some dream destination for 20 year old superstar athletes but the NHL is full of lovely cities that don't seem to have problems retaining people on the level the Jackets do. Especially for a franchise that has actually been pretty successful lately and seems fully invested in trying to win.

Also I'n sure the Koivu thing is just a one off and the dude woke up one day and realized he was toast. It's just funny how everyone keeps disappearing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Jake Virtanen is tough, has lots of potential and loves to hit! He's a great skater and has a wicked release! Overall, a real budding power forward. (1) Best of all he's currently available for a low, low price!

(1) As per Ron Delorme, Head Scout Vancouver Canucks, accessed 15 May 2014.

Hrmm, well Bryan Rust is older and under 6 feet tall so a one for one swap is probably warranted

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Zac Rinaldo is coming along to Pittsburgh in the inevitable Sam Bennett deal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ohio is the worst state.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Ohio is the worst state.

Eh...
I'd probably go Florida or one of the horrifically racist Southern states or one of the midwest nothing states with more letters in the name than people

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Florida is definitely the worst, especially right now with the superspreader bowl and the fact that the Governor blocked cities from enforcing mask mandates!

Edit: Ohio also sucks and when you drive from North to South through it, it seems to go on forever.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I don't live in Columbus and am also under no impression that it is some dream destination for 20 year old superstar athletes but the NHL is full of lovely cities that don't seem to have problems retaining people on the level the Jackets do. Especially for a franchise that has actually been pretty successful lately and seems fully invested in trying to win.

Also I'n sure the Koivu thing is just a one off and the dude woke up one day and realized he was toast. It's just funny how everyone keeps disappearing.

Eh, I think most of the big names who have left since 2013 (when the team started on the upswing) have had varied reasons for leaving which have all been documented:
-Marian Gaborik- wanted to stay but traded to LA for a grab bag of crap when he probably should've been kept.
-Ryan Johansen- pissing match with Torts
-:cop:- Took issue with the team criticizing him for being garbage in the playoffs which...I mean...was accurate, if not harsh. Also wanted to get paid.
-Bread- All accounts point to him loving the city, it's just Columbus is not New York.
-Matt Duchene- Was probably going to Nashville anyway.
-PLD- Still hasn't said what the hell it was but had just bought a house in town in like August or September before wanting out.

They've also brought in Gus Nyquist and Koivu who, while in the twilight of his career, was still a respected guy around the league.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 9, 2021

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Bennett for Ceci please and thank you.

I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. Retain on Bennett tho.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Eh...
I'd probably go Florida or one of the horrifically racist Southern states or one of the midwest nothing states with more letters in the name than people

The US space program exists entirely because of how much people wanted to get out of Ohio.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Wennberg signed long term in Columbus off his ELC. He even gave up a UFA year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Flocons de Jambon posted:

Wennberg signed long term in Columbus off his ELC. He even gave up a UFA year.

I feel like there was another player who did this, too. Maybe Ryan Murray or one of the goalies?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean so far this season there have been an awful lot of events that seem to suggest Torts might have hit the point that he's hit with every team (the day he started, in Vancouver's case, but after 5-6 years in every other case) that he decides he wants fired and achieves it by getting nasty with whatever players on the team don't Block All The Shots.

Jarmo's in a tough place now because firing Torts now would look an awful lot like capitulating to Laine and probably half the players on the team (the ones who Block All The Shots) are still pro-Torts. But poo poo's probably only going to keep getting worse so biting the bullet and firing him now is probably the best of Jarmo's bad options.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 9, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1359251007679721474

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean so far this season there have been an awful lot of events that seem to suggest Torts might have hit the point that he's hit with every team (the day he started, in Vancouver's case, but after 5-6 years in every other case) that he decides he wants fired and achieves it by getting nasty with whatever players on the team don't Block All The Shots.

Jarmo's in a tough place now because firing Torts now would look an awful lot like capitulating to Laine and probably half the players on the team (the ones who Block All The Shots) are still pro-Torts. But poo poo's probably only going to keep getting worse so biting the bullet and firing him now is probably the best of Jarmo's bad options.

I mentioned upthread there was talk that Torts might've retired last offseason, at which point they could've plausibly gone after Laviolette (who I also would've taken). If they're going to shitcan him, still, do it now in a bizarro world season while you could get Boudreau/Gallant/probably Sullivan before too long.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Do people with "team ambassador" or development coach as a title count as executives? Columbus submits Jody Shelley, Jared Boll, and Jarkko Ruutu for entry.

I was just thinking high level decision makers like GM and Pres. I assume every team has like a half dozen guys in various PR, scouting and coaching jobs that could kick rear end.

But I guess I said Gallant too HCs also count. Where would Torts fit? Do you think he’s all talk or could he back it up?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I don't think he'd fit there per se, but I'd take Torts to Nashville in a heartbeat, just to dump Hynes.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Man, Koivu was a solid mainstay of all my fantasy teams from like 2009-2016. Always worth 50-60 points a year. Godspeed good sir

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I wouldn't just yet rule out him coming back when Torts is gone.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

grassy gnoll posted:

I don't think he'd fit there per se, but I'd take Torts to Nashville in a heartbeat, just to dump Hynes.

I forgot Hynes is there. He's been bad, huh?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Koivu is I think now the fifth dude in the past two years that mysteriously does not publicly blame the coach or organization but simply does not want to play for them anymore

I wouldn’t put this one on Columbus. But just this one.

He’s been trending toward the end of his career for a couple years. Which is great, I just wish he hadn’t sullied his stats page by playing seven games for another team. It made me sad when he wasn’t getting another year in MN, but it kind of made sense. Still a top class player.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jhet posted:

Which is great, I just wish he hadn’t sullied his stats page by playing seven games for another team.

Just like Brodeur

and Modano but he played more than 7.

Who else spent the last season of their career on a different team? That seems like fun trivia

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fawning deference posted:

I forgot Hynes is there. He's been bad, huh?

He’s an awful coach, yeah. Preds Twitter has been ripping him to shreds this season. I haven’t watched much of them but what I’ve seen has been pretty bad.

Torts would be an upgrade for them, I think.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Just like Brodeur

Who else spent the last season of their career on a different team? That seems like fun trivia

Alfie in Detroit.

pseudodragon posted:

I was just thinking high level decision makers like GM and Pres. I assume every team has like a half dozen guys in various PR, scouting and coaching jobs that could kick rear end.

But I guess I said Gallant too HCs also count. Where would Torts fit? Do you think he’s all talk or could he back it up?

Put Torts in a play-in round against Bob Hartley. If you want to mix it up, make it a tag match; Torts gets Shelley, Boll, or Ruutu, Bob Hartley can bring a friend like Brian McGrattan.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Alfie in Detroit.

Put Torts in a play-in round against Bob Hartley. If you want to mix it up, make it a tag match; Torts gets Shelley, Boll, or Ruutu, Bob Hartley can bring a friend like Brian McGrattan.

Sundin in Vancouver

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chara in Washington

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chara just feels like a forever Bruin but he was on the isles and sens before that

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

This was literally a question in the trivia thread, hah!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

CBJSprague24 posted:

Lost in the shuffle of "lol gently caress Torts" is Laine was the subject of his own "This Guy Scored" last night, which probably didn't help his coach's mood:
https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1358956784870899718

So I looked up this play because I'm staring at this picture and I see 2 D men in front with 1 Hurricane. 2 other Jackets tied up in the circle with another Cane and Laine...there.

Events - Faceoff loss. Canesleft winger easy pass to the left point. Canes D guy has 2 seconds shifts to his left to throw the puck at the net. 23 for the Canes gets away with a bit of a pick. Puck hits someone in front. There are 2 Canes on top of each other with the puck in the high slot after the puck is blocked down. 13 gets a decent shot off with 2 CBJ players both in mad scramble mode to try and block the shot. 23 gets free and finds the puck out in front because someone does block the shot (whoever the Jacket is in front) and it's easy to put home because of mad scramble.

Now Laine basically floats out towards the point from the face off loss. Follows the D guy down into the top of the circle and then just stands on the faceoff dot. Laine doesn't really do anything else. Now I guess Laine could come into the pile of humanity in the slot and help out there. If you're being super critical of Laine it's that he is in no mans land achieving nothing. However, his teammates are running around completely unstructured and lol that's why they got scored on. Benching Laine for a complete system breakdown there is loving stupid though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Chara just feels like a forever Bruin but he was on the isles and sens before that

If we're counting this type player, Iginla not on the Flames and MSL and Lecavalier anywhere other than Tampa qualify because none of those felt right.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

RIP Zack Kassian, you got in a fight and died because the coach wanted you more "engaged" wink wink knudge knudge

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

RIP Zack Kassian, you got in a fight and died because the coach wanted you more "engaged" wink wink knudge knudge

That sucks

Stuff like that and DeAngelo really remind ya that hockey still has some pretty regressive ideas it needs to work through as a culture

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It was really fuckin stupid considering he'd been playing fine offensively and not taking big dumb idiot why did you do that penalties for the first time ever

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Just like Brodeur

I had to look this up because I had 0 memory of Brodeur in st Louis. And I'm sure I made jokes about it at the time. Now that's a forgettable run

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Columbus thing just depends on what type of guy you are. Some guys want to be in the spotlight and that’s hard to do here. Other guys want some place calmer to raise a family but still have things to do, and those people love it here.

Frankly, in my experience following the team, people with families love it here, other guys are lukewarm on it and I can understand that.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I would love Torts and his 4 year shelf life coaching the Flames.

They'd have to trade Gaudreau like yesterday, but they're losing him in a year and a half anyway.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

Actually, if his stint in Vancouver is anything to go by, he'd just last a year with the Flames at most since he can't live in Canada :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Misanthrope posted:

They'd have to trade Gaudreau like yesterday, but they're losing him in a year and a half anyway.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He’s an awful coach, yeah. Preds Twitter has been ripping him to shreds this season. I haven’t watched much of them but what I’ve seen has been pretty bad.

Torts would be an upgrade for them, I think.

Here's the thing about Torts: his points percentage with the CBJ is actually the best of his career and just recently passed what he did with the NYR (215-145-45/.586 to 171-118-1-29/.583). He hasn't missed the playoffs yet (full seasons only) and got what was largely an AHL team with no Bread or Bob into playoff position and, when they had to play-in to the playoffs, they did. Love him or hate him, he's still got something.

I'm hoping this shitstorm settles out and wouldn't be against keeping him (unless he ragequits, at which point :byewhore: and get us the Bruce/Gallant, Jarmo). A Gallant re-hire would be intriguing, though, as he was already coach here once and didn't do jack, though that may have been more attributed to the lack of talent on those teams (but, even then, he did have Nash, Fedorov, Vyborny, Zherdev, etc.).

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Columbus thing just depends on what type of guy you are. Some guys want to be in the spotlight and that’s hard to do here. Other guys want some place calmer to raise a family but still have things to do, and those people love it here.

Frankly, in my experience following the team, people with families love it here, other guys are lukewarm on it and I can understand that.

In addition to the guys I mentioned earlier:
-Freddy Modin stuck around and was coaching junior hockey; one of the kids in the college program I work with played for he and Andrew Cassels on the AAA Jackets.
-David Clarkson was coaching high school hockey at one point.
-Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre became a Realtor in town.

There was also the deal where Vinny Prospal was going to stick around and take a management role (which was never followed through on by Jarmo/JD).