Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
That honestly looks pretty fun.

As an aside, I think there's a potential dust frenzy opportunity there for all the golden basic cards, if I'm reading that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Olpainless posted:

That honestly looks pretty fun.

As an aside, I think there's a potential dust frenzy opportunity there for all the golden basic cards, if I'm reading that right?

I mean, as much as a couple dozen golden commons will give you... all together I bet it's still less than a single legendary.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Kalko posted:

Haven't seen anyone mention Duels for a while in this thread, which is understandable if you've spent more than five minutes with the mode, but seeing as how I have been persevering with it I figured I'd share what I've learned in case anyone else is also chasing that 12-0 achievement.

Thanks for the write-up, I've been mostly playing Duels the last few months myself. I've only made it to 12 once with discard Warlock, but have been enjoying trying out new variations.

I've been having ok success lately using this weapons rogue as a starting point, although I've struggled with bucket dilution and finding the right balance between aggro, combo, and refill.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
It is really neat that they're doing a 'exactly as released' mode with a ladder. I can't even remember what the meta looked like in the very early days.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

orangelex44 posted:

I mean, as much as a couple dozen golden commons will give you... all together I bet it's still less than a single legendary.

50 per card, and you could potentially have 143*2, 286 basic cards. That's... a lot of dust.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

PneumonicBook posted:

It is really neat that they're doing a 'exactly as released' mode with a ladder. I can't even remember what the meta looked like in the very early days.

It looked like garbage, 30 minute mirror matches between fatigue warriors made up of 29 removal cards and Grom Hellscream.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Coming back after not playing since October. Do they still do the free deck for returning players? I think it was a 4-month timer

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

sirtommygunn posted:

It looked like garbage, 30 minute mirror matches between fatigue warriors made up of 29 removal cards and Grom Hellscream.

Yes but consider that there are no demon hunters.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

sirtommygunn posted:

I remember Freeze Mage, Handlock and Miracle Rogue but I have absolutely no idea what Shaman, Paladin or Priest did in 2014. Hunter was either face or secret (also face), I think.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
i mean i guess i want to play sunshine hunter a little but ehhh. they're totally going to end up with it as the rotating mode they said they wouldn't do in like 2 years

oh actually yeah 5mana auctioneer miracle rogue and freeze mage let's go

it seems like it will just get old quick

Quotey fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 9, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
oh, the three kingdoms portraits are out

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

PneumonicBook posted:

Gorehowl + Alextraza + Charge Warrior

Turn 1 Coin + Innervate + Chillwind Yeti, into Force of Nature + Savage Roar Druid

Turn 4 Prep + Sprint into Auctioneer and Leeroy + Shadowstep Miracle Rogue

Freeze Mage

Pyro+Equality Paladin

Hunter, Priest, and Shaman kinda sucked

And of course Zoo Warlock always Zoo eternally. Handlock with OG giants and Jaraxxus as well.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m very happy at that news, I’ve been wanting a core set shakeup for a long time

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Remembering how warlocks could do 20 charge damage from hand

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Charge forward! *Coin Noise* A FIGHT, COUNT ME I-HEY EVERYONE, GET IN HERE!

Oh I misread :downs:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnacondaHL posted:

Hot News: basic set and classic set changes announced:
https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23620129/introducing-the-core-set-and-classic-format

- Classic and Basic rotating to Wild, combined and now called the "Legacy Set"
- New Core Set, 235 cards, free for all players, which is a mix of a bunch of existing cards
- Core Set will refresh each year
- edit: Max deck slots increased from 18 to 27

This is cool but uh, does that mean buying the darkmoon set was a waste because it'll be free...?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Acerbatus posted:

This is cool but uh, does that mean buying the darkmoon set was a waste because it'll be free...?

Well, the whole game is free so buying anything...

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeti and Azure drake will be in every deck again.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

The Darkmoon set is not free, the free core set is replacing the basic & classic cards in standard.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My only question is which version of Starving Buzzard we’re gonna get

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

???

Darkmoon is not free, and will still be its own set for Standard and Wild play.

The new free Core Set is completely separate.

The one thing to do would be to stop crafting old Wild cards or buying Wild packs until the contents of the Core Set are revealed, because we're about to get a bunch of cards for free.

edit: here is what we're getting for free:

88 cards returning from Classic (54 class cards, 34 neutral cards).
54 cards returning from Basic (41 class cards, 13 neutral cards).
55 cards returning from Wild (36 class cards, 19 neutral cards).
4 cards returning from Ashes of Outland (4 Demon Hunter Class cards).
4 cards returning from Demon Hunter Initiate.
1 card returning from Hall of Fame (Shadowform).
29 new cards (20 Class cards, 9 Neutral cards).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

also I will lol heartily if Skull of Guldan is one of the 4 cards chosen to become Core :lmao:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnacondaHL posted:

???

Darkmoon is not free, and will still be its own set for Standard and Wild play.

The new free Core Set is completely separate.

The one thing to do would be to stop crafting old Wild cards or buying Wild packs until the contents of the Core Set are revealed, because we're about to get a bunch of cards for free.

edit: here is what we're getting for free:

88 cards returning from Classic (54 class cards, 34 neutral cards).
54 cards returning from Basic (41 class cards, 13 neutral cards).
55 cards returning from Wild (36 class cards, 19 neutral cards).
4 cards returning from Demon Hunter Initiate.
1 card returning from Hall of Fame (Shadowform).
29 new cards (20 Class cards, 9 Neutral cards).

I must have misunderstood because I thought it said that the new core set was using cards from year of the phoenix standard.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

AnacondaHL posted:

also I will lol heartily if Skull of Guldan is one of the 4 cards chosen to become Core :lmao:

God I hope not

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Which sets won't get a single card in the core set, I wonder. I could do without bringing back anything from GvG or the Grand Tournament.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Three years ago I made the joke that they would reprint Dr. Boom with new art and I stand by that prediction. Hopefully the boring top end of Classic will disappear and get replaced with at least potentially playable cards. Nobody ever wanted a War Golem and I don't need to see any more dumb Boulderfist Ogre memes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Sorcerer's Apprentice makes the cut? Very curious.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

PneumonicBook posted:

I remember getting close to Legend with Beast Hunter and Reynads Zoo Warlock and finally making it just before Naxx released with RDUs Token Druid.

So not much, really :v:

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Sorcerer's Apprentice makes the cut? Very curious.

They'll be rotating cards in and out every year so I guess the answer for any given card is 'sometimes'?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is saving classic packs pointless now?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I wonder if they'll change the tavern brawl reward to the current set now

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

I wonder if they'll change the tavern brawl reward to the current set now

Seems like it.

Chernabog posted:

Probably.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Chernabog posted:

Hold them for now. It looks like they will become "Legacy" packs.

If you're missing cards from HOF cards you may be able to open them in these packs after this is live.

edit: it's also possible they will not change and still offer the same cards, so it wouldn't matter if you opened them now or later

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 10, 2021

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

sirtommygunn posted:

Which sets won't get a single card in the core set, I wonder. I could do without bringing back anything from GvG or the Grand Tournament.

Welcome to the Grand Tournament, Champion!

e: wait also Nexus-Champion Saraad. That's probably the coolest card in the game.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 10, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Thanks for the write-up, I've been mostly playing Duels the last few months myself. I've only made it to 12 once with discard Warlock, but have been enjoying trying out new variations.

I've been having ok success lately using this weapons rogue as a starting point, although I've struggled with bucket dilution and finding the right balance between aggro, combo, and refill.

Rogue is very inconsistent. I try it every now and then but you basically need to highroll every game; when you get your weapon buffs and Secret Passages and card draw you can smash someone's face in on turn five, but if the game goes much longer than that you generally lose. Compare it to the pre-nerf DH where they could hit you for 5-15 damage every turn, weapon or not.

For overall rankings I'd say Mage > Shaman, Warlock, Hunter, Druid > Warrior > DH, Priest, Rogue > Paladin. I haven't actually seen a lot of Hunters since the patch but the ones I do see are crazy good, and I think the class is still really strong (Deathrattle only, of course).

Playing Duels so much lately has reminded me that this game has emotes. I don't encounter them much in Standard anymore but everyone loves spamming them in Duels games. Is it because there are actual stakes? I mean, 150g isn't much, but it's either that or it's a similar mentality to serial gankers in WoW where the thrill of the gank is that you can't possibly lose, and with the power level of some of these Duels decks maybe they feel that same kind of high?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

orangelex44 posted:

Of note, this is a significant reduction from the current number of cards in Basic/Classic combined (235 versus 240+143=383) - they're keeping just a bit over a third of each set. Not coincidentally, about a third of the Core set will also either come from Wild or be new.

I wonder if this will result in them tightening up the themes of each class. I'm not particularly aware of how many different things each class has going on at the moment but I'm sure a few of them could use some work.

Either way, I only want one thing from this : Tess Greymane back in Standard! I guess we will find out what makes the cut next weekend.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Jeza posted:

e: wait also Nexus-Champion Saraad. That's probably the coolest card in the game.
I think so too. "A new acquisition..."

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

oh right, 2 mana Starving Buzzard + Unleash is back too, so Face Beast Hunter will be a thing in Classic mode.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Kalko posted:

Rogue is very inconsistent. I try it every now and then but you basically need to highroll every game; when you get your weapon buffs and Secret Passages and card draw you can smash someone's face in on turn five, but if the game goes much longer than that you generally lose. Compare it to the pre-nerf DH where they could hit you for 5-15 damage every turn, weapon or not.

For overall rankings I'd say Mage > Shaman, Warlock, Hunter, Druid > Warrior > DH, Priest, Rogue > Paladin. I haven't actually seen a lot of Hunters since the patch but the ones I do see are crazy good, and I think the class is still really strong (Deathrattle only, of course).

Playing Duels so much lately has reminded me that this game has emotes. I don't encounter them much in Standard anymore but everyone loves spamming them in Duels games. Is it because there are actual stakes? I mean, 150g isn't much, but it's either that or it's a similar mentality to serial gankers in WoW where the thrill of the gank is that you can't possibly lose, and with the power level of some of these Duels decks maybe they feel that same kind of high?

Is Paladin really that bad? Didn’t someone say they had a pretty good gimmick deck with the sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, that was me, and in like four of my winning games I got the sword in my opening hand (three of them it was in the leftmost slot for the discount) in a deck of 40+ cards.

Paladin is the weakest class but when the stars align you can do great things. I'm definitely going to try it again because the Gem + Goggles was actually pretty consistently good for dumping annoying minions early, but in each of the games I lost it was because my expensive cards (which you need to make the deck work) all appeared on the left side of my hand, blocking the Goggles.

Here's the starting deck if you want to try it. It was actually the most fun I've had in Duels yet.