Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Kilza posted:

Actually, if his stint in Vancouver is anything to go by, he'd just last a year with the Flames at most since he can't live in Canada :v:

does calgary have an american exclave 90 minutes from the arena? if so torts might be interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

does calgary have an american exclave 90 minutes from the arena? if so torts might be interested

yeah it's called alberta

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalovogl/status/1359210470499049474?s=21

This sucks.

Also, Half the team is missing and Skinner still isn’t playing with Staal or Eichel.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Eh, I think most of the big names who have left since 2013 (when the team started on the upswing) have had varied reasons for leaving which have all been documented:
-Marian Gaborik- wanted to stay but traded to LA for a grab bag of crap when he probably should've been kept.
-Ryan Johansen- pissing match with Torts
-:cop:- Took issue with the team criticizing him for being garbage in the playoffs which...I mean...was accurate, if not harsh. Also wanted to get paid.
-Bread- All accounts point to him loving the city, it's just Columbus is not New York.
-Matt Duchene- Was probably going to Nashville anyway.
-PLD- Still hasn't said what the hell it was but had just bought a house in town in like August or September before wanting out.

They've also brought in Gus Nyquist and Koivu who, while in the twilight of his career, was still a respected guy around the league.

:cawg:

This is like Battered Fan Syndrome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

yeah it's called alberta

I drove through Montana and Alberta in 2019, can confirm. There is no visible difference on either side of the border other than the numbers on the speed limit signs.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I drive yearly to Whitefish for a guys golf trip and I notice a LOT more churches in Montana.... potentially more militias too but that's just a guess.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also, Half the team is missing and Skinner still isn’t playing with Staal or Eichel.

Stranger still is if he's planted on the third line, why isn't he playing center (a position he has played in junior and as spot duty in the nhl) rather than Rieder?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Misanthrope posted:

I drive yearly to Whitefish for a guys golf trip and I notice a LOT more churches in Montana.... potentially more militias too but that's just a guess.

It's America, so there are bound to be more militias. :911:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

Isn't tim horton's a church?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Brian Burke, 9 years ago:
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/189735560267567104

Brian Burke, today:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I for one would like to know what Slobberface thinks of all this.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Hextall: sure, OK. I mean he's a Flyer but OK whatever

Burke: why?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Stranger still is if he's planted on the third line, why isn't he playing center (a position he has played in junior and as spot duty in the nhl) rather than Rieder?

It’s Eakin, he made a typo.

Eakin can win face offs but that line of Rieder-Eakin-Okposo is one of the absolute worst in the entire league and it’s embarrassing. Okposo is awful so far this season, at least last season he, Larsson & Girgensens had magical chemistry that allowed them to keep the puck in the offensive zone for ages. Nothing like that this year.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lmao

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1359282127485997059

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Giroux on the Covid list

Rip Flyers

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/1359275998215360513?s=20

Still in awe that that hair is now the president of my hockey team. Some top salad right there

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

-David Clarkson was coaching high school hockey at one point.

I got to interview him before a game against a Toledo team a couple years ago, he was really nice.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

fawning deference posted:

I forgot Hynes is there. He's been bad, huh?

In slight seriousness, I think Torts might sorta fit in Nashville, since he's defensively focused, they're old, and grinding is probably about all you could expect from this team apart from catastrophic fuckups in the near future - watch tonight's game versus Tampa for a preview. Two or three years of Torts, then switching to a real coach, might actually work for them.

On the other hand, and in total seriousness, kicking each player on the team in the groin right before a game and doing literally no other prep work or strategizing would have a more positive effect on their performance than John Hynes.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

As far as gimmick jerseys go, these are pretty sick. Unfortunately warmup-only.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-jersey-year-of-the-ox/c-321213714

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

myron cope posted:

Hextall: sure, OK. I mean he's a Flyer but OK whatever

Burke: why?

Burke has to be a buffer between Morehouse and Hextall.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Every coach has a shelf life, and Torts is the fourth-longest tenured coach in the league right now. Only Cooper, Maurice, and Blashill have been with their teams longer.

I think Gallant is going to end up replacing Blashill after the Wings tank this year. He played there with Yzerman for a decade.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

In slight seriousness, I think Torts might sorta fit in Nashville, since he's defensively focused, they're old, and grinding is probably about all you could expect from this team apart from catastrophic fuckups in the near future - watch tonight's game versus Tampa for a preview. Two or three years of Torts, then switching to a real coach, might actually work for them.

On the other hand, and in total seriousness, kicking each player on the team in the groin right before a game and doing literally no other prep work or strategizing would have a more positive effect on their performance than John Hynes.

So long as Torts doesn't end up in Seattle. I can't think of a quicker way to drive off a new fanbase.

E: Granted, Babcock would be just as bad.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 10, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I don't know- Torts has been incredibly popular amongst the fans in Columbus (before last night, anyway). Taking a consistent loser and making them win to some degree may do that to a fanbase, though.

Related:

https://twitter.com/BrianHedger/status/1359298400886341635

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The Rangers reverse retro jerseys are awesome, but they'd look perfect with blue breezers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CBJSprague24 posted:

I don't know- Torts has been incredibly popular amongst the fans in Columbus (before last night, anyway). Taking a consistent loser and making them win to some degree may do that to a fanbase, though.

Related:

https://twitter.com/BrianHedger/status/1359298400886341635

Gee, I wonder what the assistant was talking to him about at the time?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Poor Sens can't even afford a working Zamboni. Shame.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Powershift posted:

Poor Sens can't even afford a working Zamboni. Shame.

https://twitter.com/HeresYourReplay/status/1359307468166299649

Eugene Melnyk is really cutting costs, huh?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Looks like it took a diarrhea poop

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/1359275998215360513?s=20

Still in awe that that hair is now the president of my hockey team. Some top salad right there

I remember when he grew that poo poo out a few years ago. I saw it while watching highlights a few nights ago. It gives Melrose a run for his money.

I am going to go watch Hextall kick the poo poo out of people and some 80s fights now

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Jhet posted:

So long as Torts doesn't end up in Seattle. I can't think of a quicker way to drive off a new fanbase.

E: Granted, Babcock would be just as bad.

Babcock is surely worse.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
See the thread has 200+ replies. Was not disappointed in the least.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Looks like it took a diarrhea poop

The Sens or Oilers?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

The Sens or Oilers?

Yes

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Misanthrope posted:

We don't have any militias in Alberta (especially now that orgs like Proud Boys have been declared terrorist organizations) but that sure didn't stop our government from entertaining the idea of having publicly funded ones last year

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kilza posted:

Actually, if his stint in Vancouver is anything to go by, he'd just last a year with the Flames at most since he can't live in Canada :v:

And he wont be able to commute from the US, like he did in Vancouver...because he wanted to keep his guns...

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/1359330411067932672

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Just needed Mikko Koskinen to stand on his head and Jujhar Khaira to dominate, baby.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

mcdavid is a talentless hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Stretch Marx posted:

See the thread has 200+ replies. Was not disappointed in the least.

I was disappointed to find out they took away my local AM sports radio :(