Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is 13 sentinels a game that will feel like GOTY and elicit these impressions if you have a strong aversion to anime? I have never consumed much of any anime content because it just is not my thing at all. I’m curious if this game overcomes that aversion for players? If so, that’s pretty remarkable.

Just watch a video of someone playing and see for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is 13 sentinels a game that will feel like GOTY and elicit these impressions if you have a strong aversion to anime? I have never consumed much of any anime content because it just is not my thing at all. I’m curious if this game overcomes that aversion for players? If so, that’s pretty remarkable.

I have never seen an anime show, movie, or whatever, and don't think it's my thing at all either, and I just finished 13 sentinels and it is absolutely worth getting. I found it just a little cringey/over the top in the first 30 mins or so, but the story engrossed me to the point that I got past that and then it is just an amazing, amazing game that just happens to have characters drawn in that style. Don't let yourself miss it because you don't "like anime".

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rolo posted:

Mic bullshit is real. My one friend broke his at some point so every single time he gets on he has to wiggle it around until we tell him it sounds fine. While wiggling, it blows my eardrums out. He’s one of my best friends but it’s been like a loving year since he broke it.

Another is just a friend of a friend so no big loss but he had a mic only setup with Fox News in the background. He was also a heavy mouth breather. I would mute him for 10-15 minutes at a time then pop back in to ask if he needed anything before I mute him again.

my man. buy your bro a microphone that works

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Flayer posted:

Is 13 Sentinels good?

:sickos:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

what exactly is the aversion here? The art style?

The aversion is toward the children who have to get naked in order to pilot their robots

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Play the game dumbass

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cause its good not because it will change your mind about nude kids

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They are in there

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
They could just not be nude in the robots. Why are they nude

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

fridge corn posted:

They could just not be nude in the robots. Why are they nude

funnily enough this is explained in the game!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

fridge corn posted:

The aversion is toward the children who have to get naked in order to pilot their robots

I asked the other poster not you

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is it explained in the same way it is explained that a scantily dressed elementary school kid is actually a 1000-year-old shapeshifted dragon?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

gently caress this system

Edit: by this I mean sourcing PS5s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

TEMPORARILY PLACED IN A WAITING ROOM

Kafkaesque

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

it's explained in the game and the explanation makes sense even keeping in mind anime conventions, but it would be a large spoiler so people itt tend to skirt around the issue

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they made up a reason to have them naked and thats just the anime business my friends.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Is it explained in the same way it is explained that a scantily dressed elementary school kid is actually a 1000-year-old shapeshifted dragon?

no and no one ever brings it up as anything remotely sexual. pretty much the only horny part of this game is a very confused, yakisoba-pan-loving bi disaster who is one of the best characters in any media.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

they made up a reason to have them naked and thats just the anime business my friends.

:hmmyes:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Real hurthling! posted:

you will feel ashamed of your words and deeds

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you want to know the reason big spoilers

the kids are androids and they plug into the robots via their bottom half, so they're still topless for no reason

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
woops, did not mean to mouse over that :[

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

People murdering and robbing people for PS5s... it is true, the world is a cruel and dark place where only the evil and the powerful thrive

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Gotta admit, I did not see that coming.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Nah, and to be honest if the game hadn’t explicitly mentioned it in dialogue (which is the only time it’s pointed out, as far as I remember) I probably wouldn’t have even noticed it was a thing.

Unless monochrome drawings of bare shoulders are your bag there’s nothing sexy going on with the ‘nudity’.

I’m anime neutral at best and I really enjoyed the game.

Empress Brosephine posted:

the kids are androids and they plug into the robots via their bottom half, so they're still topless for no reason

:downswords:

Since it’s such a contentious topic, I’ll spoil the joke and say this isn’t true.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

fridge corn posted:

It’s mostly this, actually. Beyond just disliking everything in general about the anime art style and narrative/acting conventions, I’ve always disliked how anime over-specializes the female characters. In every clip of 13 sentinels I’ve seen there’s one girl who’s either in underwear or jogging shorts that look like underwear. Where are her pants? Why is this necessary? Nearly every anime game, tv show, movie, has to draw the females in the most hyper sexual way possible. It’s not great. I didn’t know these high school students in the game were naked? But yeah they just made up an in-story excuse to make them naked. Because it’s anime and the genre in general has gotten pretty drat carried away with doing this for a while now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

It’s mostly this, actually. Beyond just disliking everything in general about the anime art style and narrative/acting conventions, I’ve always disliked how anime over-specializes the female characters. In every clip of 13 sentinels I’ve seen there’s one girl who’s either in underwear or jogging shorts that look like underwear. Where are her pants? Why is this necessary? Nearly every anime game, tv show, movie, has to draw the females in the most hyper sexual way possible. It’s not great. I didn’t know these high school students in the game were naked? But yeah they just made up an in-story excuse to make them naked. Because it’s anime and the genre in general has gotten pretty drat carried away with doing this for a while now.

Those are real 20th century hs track shorts. I looked stupid in them once upon a time

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Looking at it, the game is incredibly tame and neutral by Vanillaware standards, I have to give it that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

There is a character that also asks this and honestly I am laughing so much right now lmfao.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The world is a vampire

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

hahahah you MFer

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I just got one been lurking this thread forever. I managed to get one in the direct queue using FireFox containers add on, it creates different sessions. Just FYI if anyone is still trying to get one. I've been getting burned by bots for months and finally got fed up with it and decided I was gonna cheat too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

vaginite posted:

I just got one been lurking this thread forever. I managed to get one in the direct queue using FireFox containers add on, it creates different sessions. Just FYI if anyone is still trying to get one. I've been getting burned by bots for months and finally got fed up with it and decided I was gonna cheat too.

Alls fair in war (against the bots and scalpers)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

vaginite posted:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

it is true, the world is a cruel and dark place where only the evil and the powerful thrive

this is going to jokerfy me

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Anime is generally bad and the good examples are exceptions to the norm

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they make the anime characters hunks and babes to titillate the pervs or 'hentai' in japanese

all media is overwhelmingly bad and the good things are few and far between yes

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Anime is generally bad and the good examples are exceptions to the norm

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Is the media remote still available?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All media is equally bad, but some forms of media are more equally bad than others

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

this is going to jokerfy me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

vaginite posted:

You either buy a PS5 or you live long enough to see yourself become a bot.