Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They set the new Joker movie in the midst of the 80s video game crash for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Rinkles posted:

woops, did not mean to mouse over that :[

Ugh same

e after reading the rest of the thread: lol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Ban all anime, tia

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

morallyobjected posted:

funnily enough this is explained in the game!

I'm more interested in the actual reason, not the in game reason

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is the media remote still available?

If you can't find one I do have one in stock; just PM me.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Mainstream TV had this same tendency to oversexualize its actors and actresses until they began abruptly walking it back after the 2004 Janet Jackson super bowl wardrobe failure, which really polarized the nation about what’s shown on TV. Anime has not had one of these landmark (dare I say ‘sentinel’?) moments yet. Maybe these children inside mechs, having a bit of a wardrobe failure of their own will be it? A few years from now I bet everyone will be saying, “mainstream anime really learned its lesson from the mistakes of 13 Sentinels: Aegis rim. Thank goodness.” We will have to wait and see.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Let's be happy no one has figured out how to mine crypto on a ps5 yet

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I just assume all high school students in anime are adults inexplicably attending high school because they never actually look or act like high school students.

I realize this is a willful refusal of the actual story of these properties but hey it makes that stuff easier to overlook.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

It’s also a willful refusal of the quality of Japanese public education, which sees an astoundingly high high school completion rate in their minors.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Twibbit posted:

Let's be happy no one has figured out how to mine crypto on a ps5 yet

the only way you can afford one is to have already mined buttcoigne

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

They set the new Joker movie in the midst of the 80s video game crash for a reason.

When this becomes the default playstation thread i wonder how many pages of posts I'll have about not getting one

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Blind Rasputin posted:

It’s also a willful refusal of the quality of Japanese public education, which sees an astoundingly high high school completion rate in their minors.
And astoundingly high suicide rates.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

And astoundingly high suicide rates.
i wanted to make a joke about how Suicide Club is not a documentary but now im just sad

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, suicide rates in Japan are a very somber topic and a well-acknowledged problem both domestically and internationally. That high-stress, high-achievement culture and lifestyle comes with a steep cost.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hm the country with a higher moral/social tolerance of suicide and many fewer leading causes of death is a whopping four spots ahead of the US in suicide rate

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

and considerably behind the US, canada, australia, new zealand, etc. if you exclusively look at teen suicides. astounding!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

If you plot PS5 availability to suicide rates in Japan it’s a nearly perfect inverse correlation. Makes you think.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Super No Vacancy posted:

and considerably behind the US, canada, australia, new zealand, etc. if you exclusively look at teen suicides. astounding!

can i ask where you're getting your data? not doubting, just can't find that kind of breakdown.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Miexriir/status/1359612370226581505

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lol but :hmmyes:

you will all get one, trust the system and you will soon forget about it once you see the super fast ssd load times that we have seen by playing the ps5

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Rinkles posted:

can i ask where you're getting your data? not doubting, just can't find that kind of breakdown.

world health organization mortality database circa 2017

https://www.oecd.org/els/family/CO_4_4_Teenage-Suicide.pdf

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve been playing the ps5 version of overcooked with my wife and it loads so fast you can’t even read the controls on the loading screen before each level, thanks Sony.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

world health organization mortality database circa 2017

https://www.oecd.org/els/family/CO_4_4_Teenage-Suicide.pdf

thank you.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what do we think gamers is OUTRIDERS gonna be any good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

doesn't inspire confidence. looks very bland.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Super No Vacancy posted:

It looks okay. People Can Fly can make good shooters and the demonstrations they've put on look mechanically fine if a bit cliche because it's 2021 and we've seen all the Destinies, Divisions, Borderlands, and other loot shooters by now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol no

it looks like an HD remaster of a ps3 game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

I will play it when its a plus game

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ve been playing the ps5 version of overcooked with my wife and it loads so fast you can’t even read the controls on the loading screen before each level, thanks Sony.

Yeah lol games like "here's a new recipe" and we're like "wait what was that?"

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah, most games not have tips during the loading screens and well, not that I read them anyway, but now I just don't have the choice. Thanks Sony.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

drat games loading too quickly, and what's with this 60fps thing it's too fast i cant tell whats going on!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

There are too many real-time light rays bouncing around the scene I can't even focus on what I'm doing

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

smoobles posted:

There are too many real-time light rays bouncing around the scene I can't even focus on what I'm doing

This, but half not jokingly. Modern games tire my eyes in ways older ones don't.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Huh, I thought that was just me. All that fine detail can make it a bit more straining to keep up with everything and pick out important stuff, especially when I'm not wearing my lenses.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Detail saturation is a real tricksy aesthetic consideration in art design, and games that mess it up leave you with this sensation of straining to see everything all the time (eg, I thought Anthem had this problem), and when games with very high levels of detail get it right (eg Death Stranding) it feels magical.

Similarly, you can lean into chaotic visual noise generally as an aesthetic and it can work (eg, Control).

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

In Control the chaos is opt-in and the brutalist aesthetics work specifically to act as a neutral backdrop.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The brutalism is there to make the mundane office setting feel as weird and alienating as the supernatural, which it is.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

The brutalism is there to make the mundane office setting feel as weird and alienating as the supernatural, which it is.

it can be two things!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

also brutalist architecture has a connotation of impersonal facelessness -- office buildings in central DC look just like that check out the DOE sometime out by l'enfant on the way to the international spy museum -- which, yes, not only helps sell the Department of Control as a truly governmental entity but also highlights very perception that The Board is drawing upon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wheeee posted:

Anime is generally bad and the good examples are exceptions to the norm

Anime...is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE