Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

man this is just not the rangers year luck wise
in a lot of ways they're playing better hockey than last year but poo poo just isn't going in for them

oh well

They got pretty lucky on the third and 4th goals tonight.

Mika is just... good lord my mans is snakebit to all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I'm pretty sure their possesion numbers, expected goal %'s, and other nerd poo poo are all markedly better than last year, like from one of the worst teams in the league to at least above average. Just their goaltending has taken a hilarious time to take a dump, and their non-Panarin veterans are seemingly allergic to putting the puck in the net. I'm sure it'll level off (especially with how good Shesterkin is as a goalie) but these stretches are very often the final straws for coaches before getting fired.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
That was an entertaining gaffe by Rask.

Rangers seem unlucky, but the team also just isn't there yet, and we knew that going into the season. Kaako and Lafreniere are getting power play time and regular shifts, Miller has filled a huge hole as #1 LD, and the second year of the Fox/Lindgren pairing is continuing to mature and look like a big part of the team's future. They have an obvious hole at center that they need to fill, long-term, but they've also had a lot of role players step up this year. The defense also looks way better without JMFJ/Smith. I'll try to be patient for another year of growing, then another offseason of loading up. They're got almost nothing to lose in the expansion draft, at this point.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is a very good tradition and I hope you keep it up all year

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Barring injury or covid shutdown Patrick Marleau will be the all-time games played leader in NHL history by the end of the year. Is there a more underwhelming guy to own a record like that in pro sports? He's a 3 time Allstar in his 23 year career, has no nominations for a major award, has just two ppg seasons and has never won a cup. His career defining attribute is that he made the league at 18 and never really got hurt. Plus he seems like a huge dork.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 11, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I mean he's also 25th all time in goals and 50th all-time for points so... it's not like he was a slouch his whole career and slummed it. Fifteen 20 goal seasons puts him above guys like Lecavalier/Alfredsson/Fedorov/Trottier/Roenick.

So like he was never a superstar but it's impressive that he managed to be pretty good for such a long stretch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Barring injury or covid shutdown Patrick Marleau will be the all-time games played leader in NHL history by the end of the year. Is there a more underwhelming guy to own a record like that in pro sports? He's a 3 time Allstar in his 23 year career, has no nominations for a major award, has just two ppg seasons and has never won a cup. His career defining attribute is that he made the league at 18 and never really got hurt. Plus he seems like a huge dork.

The highest full season save percentage of all time is held by Craig Anderson, a man so vanilla that for years he told people it was spelled Andersson because even being a white European is flashier than being Craig Anderson.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The fact that he's only 50th in points seems like an even bigger knock against him given his games played. The top games played list is as follows:

1. Howe (4th all time in points)
2. Messier (3rd all time in points)
3. Marleau (50th all time in points)
4. Jagr (2nd all time in points)
5. Francis (5th all time in points)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The highest full season save percentage of all time is held by Craig Anderson, a man so vanilla that for years he told people it was spelled Andersson because even being a white European is flashier than being Craig Anderson.

The NHL recognizes Jacques Plante as owning that record and does not include Anderson due to him only playing 24 games. Even if they did, he'd still be second. Plus save percentage is directly tied to era as almost all the top seasons are by active players.

https://records.nhl.com/records/goaltender-records/save-percentage-players-who-debuted-in-1955-56-or-later/highest-save-percentage-season

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Patrick Marleau is a very nice man that does not know how to smile properly, and you will respect him.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DildenAnders posted:

I'm pretty sure their possesion numbers, expected goal %'s, and other nerd poo poo are all markedly better than last year, like from one of the worst teams in the league to at least above average. Just their goaltending has taken a hilarious time to take a dump, and their non-Panarin veterans are seemingly allergic to putting the puck in the net. I'm sure it'll level off (especially with how good Shesterkin is as a goalie) but these stretches are very often the final straws for coaches before getting fired.

47% coris, 48.5% shots for, and 47% xGF last year with 51.2% actual results on the back of above average scoring/high danger chance conversion. This year it's a 49% corsi for, 51% Shots for, and 51% xGF. Currently rocking a 46% actual GF on the back of a bit lower scoring/high danger chance conversions and a drop off in the sv% numbers. The east is really weird this year though. Flyers are getting decent outcomes despite being not very good on the spreadsheet. Pittsburgh is getting the 2nd worst goaltending in the league...good thing they traded a puts finger to ear piece hm the guy they traded...that bad? Wow. The East is wide open.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Happy 10th anniversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgLK4sd6IF4

Also the Isles play the Pens tonight. People remaining from those rosters are
Crosby, Malkin, and Letang for the Pens.
Josh Bailey for the Isles. That's it.

So when the Isles play the Penguins tonight, we can totally expect bad blood, the kind that's been simmering for 10 years, right?

Edit: Man, gently caress Trevor Gillies.

Brent Johnson knocked out Rick DiPietro with one punch. But considering it was only DiPi, that's not much of an accomplishment.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 11, 2021

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Patrick Marleau is a very nice man that does not know how to smile properly, and you will respect him.

He has the aura of Michael Cera portraying a pro athlete, and for that I will always appreciate him.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Robert Parish is a better basketball player than Marleau is a hockey player but fits the mold of a second tier star who never got hurt just stuck around forever. Career games in the NFL is gonna be like 10 different kickers.

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 11, 2021

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

Baseball's all-time games played leader isn't even in the Hall of Fame.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The fact that he's only 50th in points seems like an even bigger knock against him given his games played. The top games played list is as follows:

Beats out Francis for goals though and that's without riding shotgun with prime Lemieux

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Francis was always the setup man.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

The new york rangers suck!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god this is adorable

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1359891275412078594

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/1stOhioBattery/status/1359884865311809536

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1359893330516185088

your infrequent reminder that teemu selanne owns

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1359875732189687814

That's a whole bunch of some garbage ahead and I'm slightly concerned my dumb team will find a way to gently caress it up.

Laine on his benching:
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1359839634877014019

e- I didn't realize Chicago was 6-4-4 somehow.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 11, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- I didn't realize Chicago was 6-4-4 somehow.

Theyre in the same division as Florida, Detroit, and Nashville. This is the best chance theyll have of making the playoffs for another few years. Granted, I still had them picked as fighting to finish last.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Compared to the other lovely teams in the division, Chicago's getting tremendous goaltending from Lankinen right now, which has done a ton to keep them even somewhat relevant. I think their power play is nearly 32% as well which doesn't hurt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jhet posted:

Theyre in the same division as Florida, Detroit, and Nashville. This is the best chance theyll have of making the playoffs for another few years. Granted, I still had them picked as fighting to finish last.

They even made their first appearance on the power rankings this week!

I don't know how, they skate around like everyone on the team is a complete stranger, but I guess that doesn't matter if someone manages to score off it.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1359893330516185088

your infrequent reminder that teemu selanne owns

Anyone read Teemu's book? I'd like to read it but I've been burned by books like Nic Lidstroms where he just reads through the results of every game instead of any stories or insight

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

They'll do good enough/bad enough to where they'll have to go on a huge winning streak near the end of the season to squeak into the last wildcard slot. Like every other season.

Great, more people Torts can bench.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

Anyone read Teemu's book? I'd like to read it but I've been burned by books like Nic Lidstroms where he just reads through the results of every game instead of any stories or insight

This is why I had to stop reading hockey memoirs unless they come recommended. I think my last one was Doug Gilmour's, and surprise surprise, guess what he did not discuss?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hockey memoirs fall into two equally dull categories:

- I was a star and won a lot. It was it an honour to play in the best league on earth. I respected my coaches but sometimes got mad at them behind their back
- I was a journeyman and early on I played in some crappy arenas. Once I showed up to practice hungover. I respected my coaches but sometimes got mad at them behind their back.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

That just means that the rest of the top list played well into their decline (which meant they were still good, because they were elite to begin with), whereas Marleau has been Pretty Good forever which is impressive in its own right.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the worst way I think you could describe Marleau would still be 'dependable'. Dude's been consistent as hell through his career.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

Yeah the worst way I think you could describe Marleau would still be 'dependable'. Dude's been consistent as hell through his career.

I'm trying to think of an equivalent as like... just a really longtime session musician.
Not quite a Robert Fripp but someone who didn't really have much of a solo career to speak of but could come in on a track and lay something down and then move on.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1359920560575188995

Please be okay my sweet Finnish lad

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Imagine marleaus memoir

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm trying to think of an equivalent as like... just a really longtime session musician.
Not quite a Robert Fripp but someone who didn't really have much of a solo career to speak of but could come in on a track and lay something down and then move on.

Fripp has King Crimson so I think that analogy breaks down super fast.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

ThinkTank posted:

Hockey memoirs fall into two equally dull categories:

- I was a star and won a lot. It was it an honour to play in the best league on earth. I respected my coaches but sometimes got mad at them behind their back
- I was a journeyman and early on I played in some crappy arenas. Once I showed up to practice hungover. I respected my coaches but sometimes got mad at them behind their back.

and the outlier: my junior coach cranked his hog off onto my feet

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Billy Preston.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gene Hoglan.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Wonderllama posted:

Imagine marleaus memoir

"One time, I was enjoying a great evening with my family, when a crazed Jeremy Roenick showed up to my front door yelling at me about my captaincy.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1359925814108766209

What is going on in Arizona :psyduck: