Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

HookShot posted:

as well as checking out the Coach Nick videos.

If you do that please also watch Russell Westbrook highlights and form your own opinion about the man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Metapod posted:

If you do that please also watch Russell Westbrook highlights and form your own opinion about the man

Will do!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I like the Thinking Basketball videos as well. I came back to basketball after quite a while away from following it seriously and they were digestible and interesting way to look at how modern basketball is played.

Sweet, thanks!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If you end up liking Breaks of the Game, Playing for Keeps is Halberstam's followup a few decades later. Seven Seconds Or Less is also a good look into the origins of modern basketball.

Also re: faceguarding

https://twitter.com/BradBallisLife/status/1359975887563816966?s=20

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 11, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The worst thing you can do to understand a player is watch them

The truth of them lies in statistics

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

if you hate coach nick’s presentation, you can find a bunch of old red auerbach videos on youtube (some from his basketball fundamentals video, some from his “red on roundball” series) and they are also very good old timey looks at the very foundations of basketball

also some of them have larry bird and pete maravich in them if you’re into that sort of thing

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
And search the forum for dokmo‘s highlight reels of NBA players doing stupid poo poo. He’s a truth teller.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Statistics are not even real. You can't hold them and you certainly can't look them in the eyes and know if they have The Goods.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Athanatos posted:

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1359741011778494464

Dort is now on the list to be a Lebron teammate in the future.

This is probably the best example of how illegal defense rules changed defense even when they're not in an actual zone.

Spacebump posted:

Was not calling a foul on WCS at the end of last nights Hawks/Mavs the right or wrong move?

I think a no call here is right. There's contact, which is normal for screens, and Trae tries to sell it IMO. There's not excessive contact trying to bully through the screen.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Theres no stat that shows how saucy a player gets

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

I'd guess it probably does work, you need to see the basket to shoot unless you're Steph

Eh, try doing what Dort was doing with your own hand, you can probably read the thread through it. It is annoying and can throw you off one play (and Lebron is kinda weak to that as proven by Lance Stephenson's ASMR defense on him) but it's not particularly difficult to play around it, I recall Duke elemental Shane Battier didn't actually affect the % of the stars he was guarding despite his reputation.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jokic currently has 36% of the Nuggets WS which is a big amount.

The announcer said that 34 is the record for consecutive double-doubles to open a season. They have not heard of Wilt.

Stevie Lee posted:

the honeymoon has ended for me. he's not good, plus he's annoying

i think i actually like Bradley in there more even though he's slow as hell

It does appear that Howard has finally hit the wall somewhat. Just in time to sabotage Benjamin Simmons' title aspirations.

Bashez posted:

Is there a website that tracks interconference records?

I know it's early but the East is looking especially bad so far this year.

The current EC cumulative SRS is -12.2
The current WC cumulative SRS is 10.66

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zach is now #2 in NP. Trailing only Curry.

JackBandit posted:

I feel like it’s gotta have some impact, like even if it just makes your man 10% worse at finding the open man, it’s useful.

Sometimes it works:

mastershakeman posted:

Zach/coby are the new Steph/klay

:hmmyes:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Zogo posted:

Jokic currently has 36% of the Nuggets WS which is a big amount.

The announcer said that 34 is the record for consecutive double-doubles to open a season. They have not heard of Wilt.

For some reason, they date it to when the NBA started keeping official track of "double-doubles," which makes no sense, since we have records of assists and rebounds.

I checked a few Wilt seasons, and he had one game in his rookie year where he didn't get a double-double, then one in his fourth year. Seems like he left both games pretty early.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert call out Utah school allowing Black History Month opt-outs
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-donovan-mitchell-rudy-gobert-black-history-month-call-out-utah-school-allow-students-opt-out-213247733.html

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Also that lee greenwood song

Ladies and gentlemen, here's a sneak peek of the 2021 ASG halftime show courtesy of Adam Silver and Mark Cuban: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgdyJX1jaUI

FYI LBJ will be taking over James Cagney's role.

euphronius posted:

Yeah . He gets great press coverage and It’s a “big hall” so he’s still got a good chance

Curry currently has a 1 in 909 chance of not making the HOF.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fast Luck posted:

my dad had a tattered well-read copy of "A Sense of Where You Are," the book about Bill Bradley, that he used to reference sometimes when i was little, and i never read it but the impression young-me came up with, based on the title alone, was that good players know where they are on the court at all times, and I believe that to be true even though the book probably wasn't about anything liek that. Put your hands over their eyes, they'll still know where their feet are on the court and exactly how far they are from the basket and how to shoot it.

They've done Sports Science poo poo where players have to do stuff in the dark. Klay Thompson shot 8-10 from 3 in the dark, which sounds impressive but he's someone who can knock down 50+ wide open 3pt shots in a row in the gym. It's not whether they can hit a shot with a hand in their face, it's whether that hand has any influence on their percentages or not.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LBJ recently joined an elite club:

code:
Player			Combined NBA/ABA Minutes (Including Playoffs)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 	66,297
Karl Malone 		62,759
LeBron James 		60,265
Kobe Bryant 		57,278 	
Dirk Nowitzki 		57,263
Tim Duncan 		56,738 	
Jason Kidd 		56,199 	
Kevin Garnett 		55,701 	
Wilt Chamberlain 	55,418 	
John Stockton 		54,162 	
Elvin Hayes 		54,160 	
Moses Malone		53,475
John Havlicek 		53,331 
Reggie Miller 		52,927 
Gary Payton 		52,598 
Ray Allen 		52,408 
Paul Pierce 		52,109 
Robert Parish 		51,881 
Julius Erving		51,856
Artis Gilmore		50,764
Shaquille O'Neal 	50,016 

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

JackBandit posted:

I feel like it’s gotta have some impact, like even if it just makes your man 10% worse at finding the open man, it’s useful.

It looks like novel defense to me because I was so bad when I used to play ball that my defender never had to put that much effort into getting me to do some dumb poo poo.

Edit: I think if someone did that to me in pickup I would roll my eyes. It’s like wearing a duke jersey and slapping the floor before getting into your stance

This is forcing me to post an all time great NHL clip of Sean Avery "Face Guarding" Martin Brodeur for a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_2oKWe2Gw

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

HookShot posted:

Will do!

Sweet, thanks!

Give Roundball Rock by John Tesh a couple of listens, too, fairly certain that probably pops up in a trivia task of some form. And also it owns*.

*However, it is also the anthem of demented tough guy 90s stans who want a return to the (misremembered) halcyon days of every team having Charles Oakley-alike "enforcers" body slamming people onto hardwood.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

*podcasts

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

cisneros posted:

Eh, try doing what Dort was doing with your own hand, you can probably read the thread through it. It is annoying and can throw you off one play (and Lebron is kinda weak to that as proven by Lance Stephenson's ASMR defense on him) but it's not particularly difficult to play around it, I recall Duke elemental Shane Battier didn't actually affect the % of the stars he was guarding despite his reputation.

lebron utterly dominated lance everytime they played what are u talking about lol. hes probably averaging like 35/10/10 on lance all time lmao

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Athanatos posted:

goddamn dort does indeed own

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
oh and like you wouldn't gently hiss into Lebron's ear if given the chance?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes that’s where i get my stats

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

nikosoft posted:

oh and like you wouldn't gently hiss into Lebron's ear if given the chance?

I would ask him if NBA players ever get self conscious at the beach about their gnarly rear end feet.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I would ask him if NBA players ever get self conscious at the beach about their gnarly rear end feet.

I'd ask if I could ride around on their shoulders for a minute, like some sort of Master Blaster situation

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Give Roundball Rock by John Tesh a couple of listens, too, fairly certain that probably pops up in a trivia task of some form. And also it owns*.

*However, it is also the anthem of demented tough guy 90s stans who want a return to the (misremembered) halcyon days of every team having Charles Oakley-alike "enforcers" body slamming people onto hardwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM2X5QlJCHk

I saw this the other day. Screens in the 90s are like filibusters. You don't actually have to do it, everyone just agrees that it's done.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions! :)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i want to go back to the halcyon 90s days when the chicago bulls won the title all of the time and humiliated pat riley and karl malone instead of being the laughing stock of the national basketball association.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

HookShot posted:

Hello basketball thread! I'm a Canadian who has watched maybe 20 minutes of basketball combined in my life (and ten of that was the end of the game when the Raptors won the basketball Stanley Cup a couple years ago) and I would like to learn more about your fine sport, mainly for education and trivia purposes. Can you guys recommend me a book or two to read that can get me caught up on the basics of basketball and it's history?

Thank you in advance :)

our fine sport, report first thing in the morning for your mandated dosage of heritage minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiJJIacdF-E

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Really all you need to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_h7Lm7C9Nk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVmqix8EKM

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Zogo posted:

code:
Karl Malone 		62,759
LeBron James 		60,265
Kobe Bryant 		57,278 	
Dirk Nowitzki 		57,263
Tim Duncan 		56,738 	
Jason Kidd 		56,199 	
Kevin Garnett 		55,701 	
Wilt Chamberlain 	55,418 	
John Stockton 		54,162 	
Elvin Hayes 		54,160 	
Moses Malone		53,475
John Havlicek 		53,331 
Reggie Miller 		52,927 
Gary Payton 		52,598 
Ray Allen 		52,408 
Paul Pierce 		52,109 
Robert Parish 		51,881 
Julius Erving		51,856
Artis Gilmore		50,764
Shaquille O'Neal 	50,016 

Now we can all finally admit that LBJ is elite.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zogo posted:

code:
Karl Malone 		62,759
LeBron James 		60,265
Kobe Bryant 		57,278 	
Dirk Nowitzki 		57,263
Tim Duncan 		56,738 	
Jason Kidd 		56,199 	
Kevin Garnett 		55,701 	
Wilt Chamberlain 	55,418 	
John Stockton 		54,162 	
Elvin Hayes 		54,160 	
Moses Malone		53,475
John Havlicek 		53,331 
Reggie Miller 		52,927 
Gary Payton 		52,598 
Ray Allen 		52,408 
Paul Pierce 		52,109 
Robert Parish 		51,881 
Julius Erving		51,856
Artis Gilmore		50,764
Shaquille O'Neal 	50,016 

This is one of the few all time stats that will be interesting to see where players from the current era onward will end up. Unlike almost every stat is probably up in this era from the last except minutes per game. At some point improvements in modern medicine/science + playing less minutes in a season will lead to players getting enough extra seasons to careers to not make it matter.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Athanatos posted:

This defense... suffocation.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Spacebump posted:

This is one of the few all time stats that will be interesting to see where players from the current era onward will end up. Unlike almost every stat is probably up in this era from the last except minutes per game. At some point improvements in modern medicine/science + playing less minutes in a season will lead to players getting enough extra seasons to careers to not make it matter.

Interesting. I wonder how many extra seasons a player gets by playing fewer minutes, and how many minutes overall that adds. Fewer minutes might indicate better teammates, which would lead to (inevitable regardless IMO) expansion, which would have an effect as well. You can’t discount the sheer amount of playoff minutes LeBron has logged. The best players are hopefully going to play the longest and the most and the most playoff games.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
i feel like bron is the worst player in the league to try to block the vision of, since he just knows where everyone is at all times (past, present, and future) in his mind palace.

love seeing guys try really hard on d though, this moment is up there with the sexman doing this. https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1019044598461546496

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
https://twitter.com/TheNBAHustle/status/1360091938813210626

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

did anyone post this https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30876312/minnesota-timberwolves-karl-anthony-towns-cleared-play-vs-la-clippers

because god drat

quote:

"I am a high-risk case," Towns said of his experience with the coronavirus. "COVID did not treat me well whatsoever. A lot of scary nights. One of the things that I told my sister when I got COVID was that, 'Hey, I got it, and I don't got a good version of it. I got a lot of COVID in me, but I am going to fight and beat it.'"

Towns added: "Through all the long nights where I was just not feeling well whatsoever and the vitals weren't good and decisions had to be made on my health, I kept [my family and my niece and nephew] in mind. They pushed me to continue doing things. When COVID kept messing with my body, my mind and spirit, I thought about them and my mother."

also: get 'em KAT hell yeah

quote:

"I personally don't believe there should be an All-Star Game, but what the hell do I know?" Towns deadpanned. "S---, I obviously haven't dealt with COVID, probably a guy who has some insight into that. What should I know about COVID, right?"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

creamcorn posted:

i feel like bron is the worst player in the league to try to block the vision of, since he just knows where everyone is at all times (past, present, and future) in his mind palace.

He knows the offense and player tendencies and the defense so well I can totally see him having a clear mental picture of the entire floor. He still needs to see though, for situations when one of his teammates goes JR Smith on him.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/juanonjuan10/status/1360117559392051201?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

How far can you slide on your butt before it's a travel?