Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Takoluka posted:

"Idol culture" is such a bullshit phrase that's soaked in "those crazy Japanese want their pure virgin maidens on stage" as if all idol fans are part of this unchanging fringe society built on the backs on AKB48 super otaku. A top idol group in Japan right now has a member who is currently pregnant and has to sit out heavier performances, and the fanbase has been nothing short of super supportive of her and her relationship.

It is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Brunom1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpgmE04e1_M

Marine has grown far too powerful after she was allowed to make and post her own MMDs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDsIgWmpEQE

Meanwhile, wants you to understand just how seriously she takes her BL.

I would only start to worry if other members started to show up in her videos voiced. Then you know its spreading. It is interesting that Marine reads BL with the mindset that the bottom has a feminine voice/is female.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
Don't want to break up this fun weekly conversation and all but Kiara just 3k away from 800k and youtube decided to shadowban her for the second day in a row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rZmnzh_cAE

e: referring to buttons that open doors to her house, "they're like door nipples!"

Wudz fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 12, 2021

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
I've done it, a quote/edit button. truly i have arrived

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jesus, the EN curse is hitting Kiara hard: shadowbanned, minecraft crashed, OBS bugging out, the universe is telling Kiara to go to sleep

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Hololive has been half-in, half-out of being an "idol company" at least since they brought in Roboco and stopped being just Sora. Subaru has a video from a ways back about a "we're an idol company now" directive coming down from the top, both talent and their direct management being all "uh, what?", and the fans going "idols(lol)." I think the idol side does have benefits, with stuff like Beyond the Stage raising their profile and exposing fans who might be there for only their faves to other girls.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

Lyer posted:

Jesus, the EN curse is hitting Kiara hard: shadowbanned, minecraft crashed, OBS bugging out, the universe is telling Kiara to go to sleep

her minecraft just became the matrix, what in the world is even happening

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Lyer posted:

and now she's trapped in the matrix for pushing her luck and continuing.

10/10 stream

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Negostrike posted:

It is a thing.

A tabloid reported that she allegedly hooked up with a member of a popular music group, and a bunch of weirdos and antis got a hugely abusive entertainment conglomerate to force a talent to publicly apologize for it almost a decade ago. This is definitely "idol culture" and totally representative of idol fans, as opposed to a systemic failure born from capitalistic standards in an infamously cutthroat industry.

The guy on 2ch who ripped up his Kannagi manga after it was confirmed that a character hosed was laughed off the website, because those people are outliers and are not representative of the fan culture. Constantly bringing up Minami Minegishi as an example of "the way things are" is the same as entertaining the tired joke about ADTRW because 4chan spawned here.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Watching the latest video posted to the Homestar Runner Youtube account made me realize... Strongbad would be an awesome VTuber if they rigged up a real-time animated avatar for Matt Chapman. He could play through old games and just do running commentary, it'd be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvscxQN1JlA

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Paracelsus posted:

Hololive has been half-in, half-out of being an "idol company" at least since they brought in Roboco and stopped being just Sora. Subaru has a video from a ways back about a "we're an idol company now" directive coming down from the top, both talent and their direct management being all "uh, what?", and the fans going "idols(lol)." I think the idol side does have benefits, with stuff like Beyond the Stage raising their profile and exposing fans who might be there for only their faves to other girls.

I feel like this video answers the Hololive Idol question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJApI4ir5V4

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Takoluka posted:

A tabloid reported that she allegedly hooked up with a member of a popular music group, and a bunch of weirdos and antis got a hugely abusive entertainment conglomerate to force a talent to publicly apologize for it almost a decade ago. This is definitely "idol culture" and totally representative of idol fans, as opposed to a systemic failure born from capitalistic standards in an infamously cutthroat industry.

The guy on 2ch who ripped up his Kannagi manga after it was confirmed that a character hosed was laughed off the website, because those people are outliers and are not representative of the fan culture. Constantly bringing up Minami Minegishi as an example of "the way things are" is the same as entertaining the tired joke about ADTRW because 4chan spawned here.

Or nah, always call out idol culture, and never excuse it as some corner thing, because even if it is, it needs to be called out, relentlessly, every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGHIundLvOo

If you're gonna cheat for fubuki, go big.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Watching the latest video posted to the Homestar Runner Youtube account made me realize... Strongbad would be an awesome VTuber if they rigged up a real-time animated avatar for Matt Chapman. He could play through old games and just do running commentary, it'd be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvscxQN1JlA

sending a red superchat like "dear strongbad, how do you type with boxing gloves on"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

paranoid randroid posted:

sending a red superchat like "dear strongbad, how do you type with boxing gloves on"

With the username fhqwhgads

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://twitter.com/ninomaeinanis/status/1360311718526636033?s=20

At long last, it is done!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Revolver Bunker posted:

I feel like this video answers the Hololive Idol question.

I appreciate the long line of swimsuits in the thumbnail, and then there's Korone in her usual sweater.

quote:

At long last, it is done!

She is so goddamned good.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Basedshark, one of Pikamee's mods, is volunteer and is somehow in EVERY SINGLE stream she has ever had since she got mods, regardless of time of day. Cover can figure it out.

Yeah Ao-chan is in every single Ina stream as well.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Takoluka posted:

I don't know what point your even trying to make here. The toxicity exists withing the fanbase. The companies have demonstrated they're willing to act on it. To try and pretend that this doesn't have any effect on the talent and the decisions they make is just dumb.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Kild posted:

Yeah Ao-chan is in every single Ina stream as well.

I get the feel that AO is either family or an IRL friend, because they've been there since day one.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Joshlemagne posted:

I don't know what point your even trying to make here. The toxicity exists withing the fanbase. The companies have demonstrated they're willing to act on it. To try and pretend that this doesn't have any effect on the talent and the decisions they make is just dumb.

That is not what I said or did. My only point with this is that every Vtuber fan is a part of the "idol culture" that some of them want to pretend they're above, and instead of actually understanding what that even means and helping eliminate the idol fan stereotype created by one of the worst public events in the industry, an event that was openly condemned by idol fans themselves, they want to go "Nah, I'm one of the good ones." Miss me with that poo poo. The toxicity of fandoms is not the standard or the example of "people who enjoy a thing," and if we want to say that's the case, then let's put ourselves on the same level as the Coco antis and their "passion."

Cover did not suspend Towa because of "idol culture." They suspended Towa because they're a bad company that makes a lot of bad decisions. If "a man was heard" caused a fan uprising, Cover could've said "gently caress off," and the vast majority of us would've agreed and supported that. Instead, they apparently said "Uh oh, gotta cater to the fringe so we don't lose their whale money"? As the biggest name in Vtubers in the West right now, you handle toxicity by catering to the vocal minority? To just go "that's idol culture!" to bullshit like this lets Cover get off the hook and puts the blame on fans. It allows for the company to slip past the criticism of their terrible decisions instead of being accountable for antiquated practices.

A lot of idol music groups and net idols are not held to these weirdo standards, and they do very well with fandoms that are very supportive and want to have a lot of fun! Many of them have management staff and fanbases that won't blink an eye at "girl held a man's hand outside of a meet-and-greet event," because they understand that it's incredibly disrespectful to women in the present day to treat them like pure virgin content generators. It's great for the talents, and it's great for the audience. If Cover thinks it's better to err on the side of "the simps might think Korone won't gently caress them one day" and build their "idol agency" around the stereotypes of the early 2010s, then let's hold their feet to the fire instead of going "That's idol fans! The bad ones. Not me. I'm the good ones."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

With the money that streamers make, especially Cover as a company, they should be able to pay moderators. Smaller streamers should also be able to pay moderators but I feel like that should be more based on workload rather than a salary until the streamer is making enough. Most streamers on twitch or otherwise get by on volunteers that are deep into a parasocial relationship or are actually friends internet or IRL from before they streamed.

I think of the facebook content checkers who all got PTSD from moderating facebook groups and feeds and how twitch mods should probably be getting paid due to the filth they likely have to read all day.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
Zentreya just took a few days off for mental health reasons and to go talk to a therapist (which is cool and good and more vtubers should talk about going to therapy*)

and now she's back with a new, fancy 3D

https://twitch.tv/zentreya

* - I realize many vtubers are from Japan and it's not as much of a thing but it should be

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I don't think anyone here who's saying the Towa thing was a part of idol culture toxicity is holding Cover to less account for it than the toxic fans.

I'm certainly not.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Wudz posted:

Zentreya just took a few days off for mental health reasons and to go talk to a therapist (which is cool and good and more vtubers should talk about going to therapy*)

and now she's back with a new, fancy 3D

https://twitch.tv/zentreya

* - I realize many vtubers are from Japan and it's not as much of a thing but it should be

Nooo I miss Dragon Zen.

I do like that Vshojo seems to have new models like every other month. It gives them a lot of options for changing seasons, holidays, and special events and also just helps mix things up.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Takoluka posted:

Because her company is garbage and arbitrary? I don't recall Gura facing any consequences when her fanbase harassed Iofi, so the feelings and actions of Hololive fans don't amount to a drat thing.
Not going to claim I'm in the trench of behind the scenes Hololive drama but I've never heard of the Gura/Iofi drama before, can you elaborate?

Negostrike posted:

It is a thing.

Not a deep cut, but an idol had to shave her head and apologize for committing the sin of having a boyfriend. This was 8 years ago and the scene is more toxic than it was back then. Idol culture is so much worse now and fans/antis are a lot more invested into that parasocial relationship.

Cover can't protect everyone from previous identity doxes, but the least they could do are things like better moderation, therapists, and maybe even just Yago being an active figure in Hololive to take the brunt of the attack rather than just leaving Coco to take a ton of abuse. Coco's only direct support seems to be Kanata, another streamer she lives with, with her peers in Hololive and her fans as backup.

Techbro companies are godawful in America, they're bound to be a lot worse in Japan

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

SpartanIvy posted:

Nooo I miss Dragon Zen.

I do like that Vshojo seems to have new models like every other month. It gives them a lot of options for changing seasons, holidays, and special events and also just helps mix things up.

My mistake, this is apparently a returning model maybe?? Or a new version of an old model??? She called this FlashbackFriday so I'm not quite sure.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Wudz posted:

My mistake, this is apparently a returning model maybe?? Or a new version of an old model??? She called this FlashbackFriday so I'm not quite sure.

I'd say it seems more to take inspiration from her original model but... significantly less nazi-y.

The 2d Zentreya streams just aren't the same without Zen's full body language reactions to what's poo poo, so I'm happy it confirms she's not ditching 3d entirely.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

RealFoxy posted:

Not going to claim I'm in the trench of behind the scenes Hololive drama but I've never heard of the Gura/Iofi drama before, can you elaborate?

That one time Gura got mad in Among Us some idiots on twitter were blaming Iofi on twitter for failing to translate well, and Iofi was kinda already beating herself up for not translating as well as she might have.

Wudz posted:

I dunno if it's exactly the same but this is at least mostly the design she had before she switched to primarily using the dragon design

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
alright I've watched and listened to some awful things but Geoduck Mukbang ASMR is one of the most vile things I've ever witnessed, and I watched haachama's viewer submitted cooking videos

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Wudz posted:

alright I've watched and listened to some awful things but Geoduck Mukbang ASMR is one of the most vile things I've ever witnessed, and I watched haachama's viewer submitted cooking videos

Gigantic penis-clams from the pacific northwest are big in Asian cuisine, for some reason

they used to scare the poo poo out of me at the grocery store as a kid

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Wudz posted:

It's apparently a well known meme (heck, SA itself has emote for it :geoduck:), but it's one I completely missed until I was introduced to it by Zen's stream and I could absolutely live without that knowledge.

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2P4n93cuCQ

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

I and some other Tatsunokos put together one big index for every archived karaoke songs to celebrate her upcoming 1mil mark, taking inspiration off similar projects for Kanata and Watame.

Every song she's ever done in archived streams is listed and timestamped, so you can go and check anything that sounds interesting rather than comb through lengthy streams. We'll, of course, keep it updated as she goes.

And if you're not on Reddit, we also made a normal site to make it easier to find.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
alright horse pimple popping is right up there at the top of "worst" this is the most cursed stream

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Iofi got a lot of hate bc the En/Id/Jp Amongus collab didn't go as well as the Holo9 Amongus collab. As in she didn't do as good of a job as Kiara in a role she didn't sign up for.

It wasn't just Gura's fanbase or just Iofi tho. Suisei also got a lot of flak from the japanese fanbase because she pretended she didn't know english.

The tragic part of this is I don't believe Holo EN has done any amongus streams since.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kild posted:

Iofi got a lot of hate bc the En/Id/Jp Amongus collab didn't go as well as the Holo9 Amongus collab. As in she didn't do as good of a job as Kiara in a role she didn't sign up for.

Any harassment of Iofi was unjustifiable, and stupid, but she did kind of sign up for that role. She tweeted prior to the collab that she wanted to act as a translator. This is a collab where Gura just got unrelentingly poo poo on and her fanbase is made up of probably the worst internet denizens in HoloEN so they reacted horribly and wrote some nasty stuff on Iofi's youtube/twitter.

Gura is not equipped to have such a large fanbase as she doesn't really wrangle them like say Ame does. She absolutely should have told everyone to be chill its just a game shes not really upset blah blah

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Jerkface posted:

She absolutely should have told everyone to be chill its just a game shes not really upset blah blah

IIRC she actually did say that exactly that in her following stream, once she realized there was a problem like that. But yeah, Gura's reaction to her massive popularity seems to be a mix of her trying to ignore it and her being vaguely uncomfortable about it and, that's pretty understandable reaction to that kind of success, but it doesn't make her fans exactly well behaved.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Takoluka posted:

A lot of idol music groups and net idols are not held to these weirdo standards, and they do very well with fandoms that are very supportive and want to have a lot of fun! Many of them have management staff and fanbases that won't blink an eye at "girl held a man's hand outside of a meet-and-greet event," because they understand that it's incredibly disrespectful to women in the present day to treat them like pure virgin content generators. It's great for the talents, and it's great for the audience. If Cover thinks it's better to err on the side of "the simps might think Korone won't gently caress them one day" and build their "idol agency" around the stereotypes of the early 2010s, then let's hold their feet to the fire instead of going "That's idol fans! The bad ones. Not me. I'm the good ones."

Most vtubers and vtuber orgs are not built around a kayfabe fantasy of being a virtual AKB48 idol group, complete with Idolmaster ensemble events where everyone dresses up in idol outfits and goes on stage and sings together, so they aren't held to the same behavioral expectations by management and/or the target fanbase. "It works for other vtuber orgs" is kind of a meaningless statement because those other vtuber orgs aren't formed with the same concept and aesthetic and are not necessarily targeted at attracting the same types of fans.

Literally no one decides to watch Nyanners assuming Nyanners is going to be a pure virginal maiden who only interacts with foul man through five layers of plexiglass and a speaker.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 12, 2021

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Wudz posted:

Taste-wise they are delicious and have a sweet clam taste to them. They look strange and can't be prepared the same way as other shellfish without some prep work. Who is eating one right now?

Edit: Nevermind its Zen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kanos posted:

Literally no one decides to watch Nyanners assuming Nyanners is going to be a pure virginal maiden who only interacts with foul man through five layers of plexiglass and a speaker.

But it's a christian stream!