Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Oneiros posted:

that's basically the rap sheet for everyone who's ever been arrested for being disorderly at a city council meeting

you go to some exciting city council meetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Oneiros posted:

that's basically the rap sheet for everyone who's ever been arrested for being disorderly at a city council meeting

even the conspiracy bit?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

you go to some exciting city council meetings

now do the charges for any given blm protest that got spicier than a block party

also, lmao "assault on a federal officer" and "destruction of government property"

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

President Beep posted:

even the conspiracy bit?

conspiracy and racketeering is when you send $5 to a bail fund these days

jesus christ you folks eat this poo poo up

mystes
May 31, 2006

So they're pulling the ol' Breonna Taylor trick again, huh.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 12, 2021

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i think that the carceral system of law and punishment in america is an abomination and unfairly used against minorities and the poor, the truly systematically disadvantaged

but i also think it should be fully put into use against nazis and a coup, for good reason

these are not conflicting thoughts

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Oneiros posted:

now do the charges for any given blm protest that got spicier than a block party

also, lmao "assault on a federal officer" and "destruction of government property"

yeah it's almost like the state cracks down extremely hard on all dissent

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
yeah rap sheets aren't very compelling in terms of establishing an intentional threat to the system, because they're tools to do that specific thing no matter what the actual circumstances are

more compelling is the protest's explicitly stated aim of trying to overturn the election result

which is a weird thing to disregard imo

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

seriously what's your problem? why are you defending these people? playing devil's advocate here doesn't make you smart, it makes you a shithead

I'm not defending them! I want these loving freaks nailed to the wall. They're not and never were a danger to our government or its members but they're certainly a danger to their neighbors or anyone that dares say a reasonable thing out loud near them in a grocery store aisle or parking lot.

I'm just downplaying the idea that this was a dangerous coup, calling it such is an insult to the people that actually get subjected to such things by us and is part of a sensationalized media narrative that I think we should steer clear of.

It's some of the most bizarre political theater of our lifetimes.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

and its almost like the targets of the attack understand this when wanting justice

https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1358812920050819075?s=20

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

kitten emergency posted:

here there's 270 people that have been indicted, feel free to find the one that somehow indicates they were just there on a field trip https://www.insider.com/all-the-us-capitol-pro-trump-riot-arrests-charges-names-2021-1

lmao my pudding brain parsed this as a SA probe/ban listing from the lepers colony

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

I'm just downplaying the idea that this was a dangerous coup, calling it such is an insult to the people that actually get subjected to such things by us and is part of a sensationalized media narrative that I think we should steer clear of.

yeah i'm sure the people in myanmar are being super cynical and cool about it "you call that a coup??? babies."

there's no reason to argue this unless you're trying to shift the window of what this insurrection can be called

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

I'm not defending them! I want these loving freaks nailed to the wall. They're not and never were a danger to our government or its members but they're certainly a danger to their neighbors or anyone that dares say a reasonable thing out loud near them in a grocery store aisle or parking lot.

The president of the united states incited a mob to march to a place where his passing from power was being certified and attempt to prevent that process, so that the president could illegally continue to stay in power.

It's a loving coup attempt, come on man, there is not a sign that says "THERE MUST BE AT LEAST THIS > < MANY TANKS FOR A COUP ATTEMPT" on Pennsylvania Ave.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Fortaleza posted:

literally zero people you are arguing with in this thread want the patriot act 2 or whatever, we're saying that when a bunch of nazis try to overthrow the government (even if they do it poorly) then the government should mete out justice to them and their leaders. in a perfect world we would have a more restorative justice and reconciliation process because the overwhelming majority of these people are dumbass jetski dealers and grifters but in lieu of that then we should at least demonstrate that it's actually a bad thing to try and murder politicians, even those you disagree with.

Apr 7, 2003

The president and his lawyer literally spent time calling individual Senators to ask them to delay the process as much as possible so that the mob would have more time to reach the Senate chambers.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Oneiros posted:

jesus christ you folks eat this poo poo up

Sagebrush posted:

lmao it's been a while since I've seen a genuine puppetmaster defense

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oneiros posted:

got invited to the facebook event for the coup, showing up hoping someone else is actually doing the coup

but seriously just imagine that each individual was prepared to coup but was reliant on the crowd to make the transition from not a coup to coup but the crowd itself couldn’t pull it together

whether or not it was a coup, will you or fortalezza rice concede that at least some people who were there wanted it to be one?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fortaleza posted:

the risk was never from this particular mob directly, because, again, they were uncoordinated morons. the risk is that there are no consequences for inciting the mob; anyone who wants to effect an actual successful coup now knows that they can just keep trying until it works. and in order to create suitable consequences for this coup attempt, you have to acknowledge that it was a coup attempt.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fortaleza posted:

actually there is only two sides : josef mengele and captain america.
which one are you.. which are you???

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

echinopsis posted:

but seriously just imagine that each individual was prepared to coup but was reliant on the crowd to make the transition from not a coup to coup but the crowd itself couldn’t pull it together

whether or not it was a coup, will you or fortalezza rice concede that at least some people who were there wanted it to be one?

in the same way that every time i hear about a group protesting outside bezos' house i have a little hope that someone brought a guillotine, sure

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Oneiros posted:

in the same way that every time i hear about a group protesting outside bezos' house i have a little hope that someone brought a guillotine, sure

i have some serious doubts about the quality of construction here.

i just don't think that's going to be able to do the job

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

infernal machines posted:

look, intent is all that matters. we must consider what was in the perpetrator's hearts when they erected that guillotine outside a highly respected member of the community's home

Apr 7, 2003

I, too, remember when people stormed Jeff Bezos's house and killed five people

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

It would be terrible if it didn't work on the first try.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i love how people keep saying "killed five people". it's some fine newspeak

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

hey now, if they "stormed" did they literally evaporate, form chud clouds, and fall after condensation onto congress? i don't think so.

checkmate.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oneiros posted:

if say 10% were prepared for coup but not the rest./

at what % of the proportion of the population does it officially break down into a legit soup

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

at what % of the proportion of the population does it officially break down into a legit soup

a coup-like homogenate

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

executed a soft coup in the terlet earlier thanks to too much brandy and schnapps last night

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

echinopsis posted:

given the amount of cholesterol and corn involved i'd call it more of a chowder

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fortaleza posted:

Wow, it's been a fuckin' long time since i've seen the darfur clause

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

AOC was hiding in a bathroom from the rioters who wanted to kill her and other Dems and make the rest say Trump is president forever, and this distinction matters because

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lament.cfg posted:

AOC was hiding in a bathroom from the rioters who wanted to kill her and other Dems and make the rest say Trump is president forever, and this distinction matters because

apparently because calling this a coup attempt would somehow diminish the gravity of the next coup attempt, you know, when they get serious about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lament.cfg posted:

u know how she said somerthing about gamestop and tom cruz jumped in and said "what she said" and she said "um you tried to murder me two days ago" like did he really or..

Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

u know how she said somerthing about gamestop and tom cruz jumped in and said "what she said" and she said "um you tried to murder me two days ago" like did he really or..

Cruz and other high level Republicans were absolutely involved in some fashion. A junior Republican house member, Lauren Boebert, was live-tweeting the speaker of the house's whereabouts through the event.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmm similar to a coup but nottttt quite

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so close

like, drat. so close

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a coupette

coupito?

couplet wait that's already a thing

mystes
May 31, 2006

If it was on a Tuesday or a Thursday it would have been a coup, but everyone knows you can't have coups on Wednesdays, so it was just a riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

I'm not defending them! I want these loving freaks nailed to the wall. They're not and never were a danger to our government or its members

right, this guy with at least one handgun, a fistful of zip-cuffs, and body armor covered with punisher skulls and thin blue line poo poo was just there to have a lively debate with ilhan and aoc.