Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pedestrians have the right of way here, but PNW drivers will by turns apply that as "anyone on a sidewalk anywhere near the corner means i must wait silently at this stop sign and block traffic indefinitely" when they see a person within one cubic lightyear of the intersection they want to drive through and "oh sorry i rammed your dog in a crosswalk with a lit walk sign because i was too loving stupid to look in the direction of travel before accelerating and therefore you did not exist for me in my babybrain"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Moving from TN to OR has been mostly great but less good BBQ/southern food, and everywhere I drive at probably 10-15 mph slower than if I was in TN because of the PNW driving culture (I guess?).

I'm currently looking out my window and tons of cars with wipers not UP during what was forecasted to be days of snow.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

I think I've heard somebody their horn like, twice, ever, around Seattle. It's just not a thing that anybody does. I'm pretty sure you could disconnect people's horns and they wouldn't ever notice.

The one time I was in the northeast, I found driving extremely stressful because of how aggressive people are there. But they're at least competent. On the other hand, people around here are idiots. The DOT has, on at least one occasion, told people to stop parking and lining up in front of the express lane entrances on the highway waiting for them to open.

Basically, if you take the stereotypical NYC driver and do the exact opposite, you'd have a pretty good approximation of what drivers are like around here. Which includes not knowing how to parallel park any closer than three feet from the curb.

Man that is weird. A very quick beep of the horn here is pretty darn normal if you don't notice the light change, like it's why the horn is there. Honk any more than that and you're a tremendous rear end in a top hat that everyone hates, but yeah.

The only other time I really use the horn is if someone's very clearly not paying attention while driving and they're like, drifting out of their lane or w/e, I'll slow down to give them a wide berth, simultaneous with a big ol' hoooonk. If they keep doing it after that I assume they're drunk and back way the gently caress off.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

The Oldest Man posted:

Pedestrians have the right of way here, but PNW drivers will by turns apply that as "anyone on a sidewalk anywhere near the corner means i must wait silently at this stop sign and block traffic indefinitely" when they see a person within one cubic lightyear of the intersection they want to drive through and "oh sorry i rammed your dog in a crosswalk with a lit walk sign because i was too loving stupid to look in the direction of travel before accelerating and therefore you did not exist for me in my babybrain"

Uh I wish I had this problem. In Seattle I've been honked/yelled/revved at for crossing streets at unmarked intersections (which legally acts like a crosswalk and gives me the right of way) and almost killed because a fella in a big ol swingin dick F-250 right by Pike Place tried to gun his left turn to beat me through the crosswalk while I was crossing lol. I used to have to regularly cross at one of the crosswalks painted right at the entrance of a 99 onramp (such a sick design) and the only drivers who would reliably stop to let me cross were semi-truckers.

Basically I agree with Thanatosian that it seems like 60-70% of drivers don't really know traffic laws whatsoever here

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

America has one of the highest traffic fatality rates in the OECD, but the rate is much higher in many poor countries, so America is roughly in the middle globally.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chamale posted:

America has one of the highest traffic fatality rates in the OECD, but it helps many people get to work on time, so its impossible to tell if its bad or not,,

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Covids not all bad, I’ve cut the Amount of time I spend driving easily in half or more

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Nitevision posted:

Uh I wish I had this problem. In Seattle I've been honked/yelled/revved at for crossing streets at unmarked intersections (which legally acts like a crosswalk and gives me the right of way) and almost killed because a fella in a big ol swingin dick F-250 right by Pike Place tried to gun his left turn to beat me through the crosswalk while I was crossing lol. I used to have to regularly cross at one of the crosswalks painted right at the entrance of a 99 onramp (such a sick design) and the only drivers who would reliably stop to let me cross were semi-truckers.

Basically I agree with Thanatosian that it seems like 60-70% of drivers don't really know traffic laws whatsoever here

In the Before Times, there was a great joy to be had in being in the market by the Starbucks, and just walking down the middle of the street as the cars trying to get by the hundreds of people just had to loving cccccrrrrrraaaaaaawwwwwwwllll through that area. Probably took them like ten minutes to go two blocks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

I do this thing since moving here where I pretend I'm turning at the corner whenever I'm approaching one and the car has more than enough time, so they'll just loving go instead of me having to figure out that they're waiting for me. It's much faster.

But yeah, anyone making a right turn is likely to murder you.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Stevie Lee posted:

the air force propaganda almost got me at 17, with my dad pushing me too. luckily i was too fat to enlist at the time

when my dad threw me out with 1 month's notice when i turned 18 i was real lucky that it was early 2004, so the iraq war made it clear even to my unbelievably stupid teenager brain that homelessness was the better option

if i was even a year older i'da signed up for the death squads lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nitevision posted:

Anybody driving a big pickup truck in Seattle is from the hinterlands and lusts for pedestrian death

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

atelier morgan posted:

when my dad threw me out with 1 month's notice when i turned 18 i was real lucky that it was early 2004, so the iraq war made it clear even to my unbelievably stupid teenager brain that homelessness was the better option

if i was even a year older i'da signed up for the death squads lmao

I saw the army as the better option over homelessness. Mostly because they provided a home. Also food, clothing, pay, medical care, a month of leave a year. I didn't account for veterans benefits at the time because I didn't care.

It has absolutely ruined lots of lives, yes, but I knew some folks that it was their step out of some very real poverty, now with degrees paid for by their tolerance of stupid military poo poo for a few years. It's a very heavy trade off, however.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Moving from TN to OR has been mostly great but less good BBQ/southern food, and everywhere I drive at probably 10-15 mph slower than if I was in TN because of the PNW driving culture (I guess?).

I'm currently looking out my window and tons of cars with wipers not UP during what was forecasted to be days of snow.

Congrats on escaping TN. I spent about 15 years bouncing around that state, miss nothing from it but Sun Drop.

People do the windshield wiper poo poo here in Colorado too, but it's mostly former southerners. Parts of this place are half Texan.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 01:38 on Feb 13, 2021

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Drivers amirite

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/equalityAlec/status/1360326838279618567?s=19

https://twitter.com/equalityAlec/status/1360326850736762888?s=19

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Sorry to Bother You was optimistic as i do think the “slaves” had to pay for most of their stuff

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanatosian posted:

Our drivers ed ranges from loving garbage to complete loving garbage. I've had to explain to multiple people who are native Washingtonians that yes, you pull into the middle of an intersection on an unprotected left turn. Yes, it's legal. Not only is it legal, but it is the way you are required to do it. Yes, the other cars have to wait for you after the light changes. Yes, I've also seen people back out of intersections instead of making the turn, those people are idiots.

that seems crazy. they just make you yield for straight traffic in california. they just make lefts illegal on intersections too busy for that, or put in a turn lane and make it protected

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Larry Parrish posted:

that seems crazy. they just make you yield for straight traffic in california. they just make lefts illegal on intersections too busy for that, or put in a turn lane and make it protected

I think you also need pulling into the intersection while making a left turn explained to you.

When you're making an unprotected left turn, once your light turns green, you shouldn't stay behind the stop bar at the intersection. You should drive straight a car length or two (depending on how many lanes the road is), then yield to straight traffic to make your turn. If there are no openings during your light cycle, you will be in the intersection when the light changes. This is good, the other cars will have to wait for you, so you will get to complete your turn even though there was never an opening. This prevents the complete lockdown of a turn lane during busy traffic times.

It's not unique to Washington, the vehicle code says you should be doing this in California as well. I will beep as obnoxiously as I can at your dumb rear end if you don't.

https://abc30.com/driving-road-safety-chp-california-highway-patrol/6232316/

jetz0r has issued a correction as of 12:29 on Feb 13, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

tangy yet delightful posted:

My sample size is small but as an Ohioan this isn't done by most people. The only sample size I have any information about is work and it's the people pushing their 50s that pull the wipers up when it snows

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chamale posted:

America has one of the highest traffic fatality rates in the OECD, but the rate is much higher in many poor countries, so America is roughly in the middle globally.

It's that just per capita or corrected for the insane car culture you have? Like deaths per million car miles it whatever.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Tennessee has the same law and it came about because someone important got a ticket for running a red light while waiting to turn.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

It's that just per capita or corrected for the insane car culture you have? Like deaths per million car miles it whatever.

It's per mile driven.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Len posted:

My highschool guidance counselor pushed the military constantly. "Join the air guard! You'll never see combat until you finish college! If you get deployed you'll get to stay at the base grilling because they won't put you in live combat!"

lol. Active duty loves to poo poo on the guard all the time but hate it when you point out that the guard does significantly more than they do, is around 5 times larger than them, and beats active duty whenever they're allowed to compete against them.

The national guard has consistantly won all the military competitions (best ranger/sniper/driver/etc) every year. So much so that a lot of generals refuse to allow the guard to compete in some of their tournaments.

As for recruitment chat: Don't do it unless you understand one thing. The military will absolutely use you and then abandon you if it can. You've got to go in with the exact same mentality about the military.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

This is very normal

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/09/965887446/s-c-gives-highest-civilian-honor-to-principal-who-got-a-walmart-job-to-help-stud

quote:

Darby took on a part-time job at Walmart, stocking shelves from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m., three nights every week. He's been using the paychecks from that work to help make sure kids from his school have food and basic supplies, or help their families pay their bills. Some money has also gone to former students who need help, or to teachers at his school who need a boost.

If everyone did a few third shifts stocking shelves for minimum wage we’d end childhood poverty in no time

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This is very normal

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/09/965887446/s-c-gives-highest-civilian-honor-to-principal-who-got-a-walmart-job-to-help-stud

If everyone did a few third shifts stocking shelves for minimum wage we’d end childhood poverty in no time

I had a friend try to argue about the idea of "civic duty" with me and saying that its the responsibility of all citizens to step up and help everyone who's fallen behind like this.

When I pointed out that they're only "falling behind" because the state is a loving broken system that needs to be smashed his argument was "well since the govt won't do it we all should just volunteer our time and money instead to make things better"

Couldn't quite get him to understand that was the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a massive trauma wound and expecting it to work.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

pentyne posted:

I had a friend try to argue about the idea of "civic duty" with me and saying that its the responsibility of all citizens to step up and help everyone who's fallen behind like this.

When I pointed out that they're only "falling behind" because the state is a loving broken system that needs to be smashed his argument was "well since the govt won't do it we all should just volunteer our time and money instead to make things better"

Couldn't quite get him to understand that was the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a massive trauma wound and expecting it to work.

That’s the whole point of these things, trying to get individuals to see it as a personal moral responsibility instead of a collective failure

I have a lot of respect for someone who will sacrifice of themselves to help others. But it’s mind numbing that the government response was let’s give him a ribbon rather than holy poo poo this is embarrassing as gently caress

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Len posted:

My sample size is small but as an Ohioan this isn't done by most people. The only sample size I have any information about is work and it's the people pushing their 50s that pull the wipers up when it snows

It doesnt do anything. If your poo poo gets coated in ice you have to melt it all with your defrosters anyway so leave them against the glass. The farther north you go the less people do this. Here in VA 90% of people do for 1cm of snow, but in MI nobody would for a foot of snow.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was a person in my apartment complex that would put a sheet over their windshield before a forecasted snow. Older woman, maybe mid-50s.

It was a convertible mustang, a great choice of primary car where it's cold for a large part of the year. Pretty sure it's terrible on snow too.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
wipers up isn't a bad idea to instill in people because we're mostly idiots who will forget that the wipers are going to be frozen in place and just habitually or impatiently turn them on anyway and end up shredding the rubber on the blades

it might not speed up the windshield clearing but it'll at least save the wiper blades from my own dumb rear end

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

pentyne posted:

Maybe if we somehow organized the time and money we all spent to make things better, perhaps with a system that made sure that those who need the most help get what they need, and everyone contributed a part of what they made to provide it, perhaps dependent on how much they make?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I put my wipers up before snow so that when I hobble out to my car after waking up I don't have to put them up to brush the windshield off with my snow brush while trying to fully wake up

saves me precious seconds that I can use for another swig of coffee before I get on the road

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If it's 0°F outside I still have to walk my dog for 10-15 minutes so I can take 30 seconds to scrape my windshield and break the wipers free if I'm in a real hurry. There's always a solution that involves light labor.

I love watching people dump hot water on their windshields though, that's a treat.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

blatman posted:

saves me precious seconds

When I lived in New England, same.

Ain't got time for that poo poo!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If it's 0°F outside I still have to walk my dog for 10-15 minutes so I can take 30 seconds to scrape my windshield and break the wipers free if I'm in a real hurry. There's always a solution that involves light labor.

I love watching people dump hot water on their windshields though, that's a treat.

Lmao I learned that one the hard way. It does not help. I think it’s a lesson you only need to learn once though

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I live in northern new Hampshire and have never once put my wipers up and everyone I know routinely makes fun of flatlanders who do put their wipers up lmao you nerds

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hot water on a windshield is honestly one of those things that works great until it burns you once. Sure, you can get away with it when it's lightly below freezing, it'll take care of that frost no problem and you can be on your way. But then one day you get complacent about checking the temperature, you're running tighter on time than usual, and bam, you just bought a $200-400 piece of glass.

The rage it induces in people at 6:30am when it's 5°F outside is just a marvelous thing to take in. Even better if that person is from Florida and has never encountered such cold before.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Empress Brosephine posted:

I live in northern new Hampshire and have never once put my wipers up and everyone I know routinely makes fun of flatlanders who do put their wipers up lmao you nerds

Can't hear you. I'm already on the road.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

its also worth it to put your wipers up if you're running late and you're just blasting the windshield with wiper fluid until there's enough of a visible window to drive with, put them up once you get to work so that the wiper fluid drips down and safely freezes the wipers in place

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

towel under wipers before it snows. wipers down to hold towel on. rip towel off in the morning. welp cya *calls in sick anyway*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Can you not just let your car warm up with the defroster blasting for a while?

I also seem to remember someone I dated once would lay a dry towel over their windshield in the evening and then just pull it off in the morning.