Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I keep wanting to rearrange the sections around to reveal that there's now a missing square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I keep wanting to rearrange the sections around to reveal that there's now a missing square.

It's not actually missing, you just have to turn off your monitor to find it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Personality and Individual Differences has a history.

TLDR: in twenty loving twelve they published an article that presented no new evidence that claimed skin pigmentation correlates with aggression in humans that itself cited a debunked, retracted, and racist paper as evidence.

Also they were founded with funding from the The Pioneer Fund, an organization dedicated to proving the genetic inferiority of non whites.

As a journal, it's not like... quite as bad as that makes it sound, but that's only because that sounds totally inexcusable, and the majority of the content isn't neonazi trash, but psychologists desperate for publication and who don't know the history.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was surprised to see it was even peer reviewed at some level, it looks like the kind of pay-to-publish places that just send out unsolicited emails begging you to send them a manuscript.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

lmao the dallas area has to carve out dallas county from the ft worth area

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I was surprised to see it was even peer reviewed at some level, it looks like the kind of pay-to-publish places that just send out unsolicited emails begging you to send them a manuscript.

Notoriously, Personality and Individual Differences has a policy of minimal peer review(usually 2 reviewers) to prevent "stifflinging discussion". Unless you're writing an article they invited you to write concerning the fraudulent researching practices of their dead founding editor and whether that warrants a retraction. Then you'll get nine peer reviewers, and when you finally pass their review, you'll get your paper rejected anyways due to "libel concerns".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nice :coolfish:

Tag yourself. I'm the implication no woman is less than 40% nutso.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:golfclap:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Outrail posted:

Nice :coolfish:

Tag yourself. I'm the implication no woman is less than 40% nutso.

Yeah starting the y-axis at 4 is certainly A Choice.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

I'm confused, if I'm (for example) 1 attractive and 6 crazy, does that put me above the Hot Crazy Line even though I'm still in the No Go Zone? Isn't that dividing line irrelevant in that zone if they're all too uggo to be datable? Or is the area unlabeled below the Hot Crazy Line supposed to be datable? And as already noted, why is nobody under 4 crazy points? (On whatever the hell scale this is.)

Is this actually a serious paper or some kind of Sokal-esque hoax?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Careful, that's how you get infinite (hot crazy) chocolate.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I'm glad you did this, because while it was a solid burn, I wasn't going to be the one who acknowledged it first.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Carthag Tuek posted:

did someone seriosly plagiarize barney for an academic paper
I mean it's missing the actual joke of the Vicky Mendoza line, so is it really plagiarism?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've been looking at my state's infection statistics and found something fascinating:

First graph: Recorded infections; red female, blue male
Second graph: Recorded hospitalisations (blue) and deaths (white)

See that extreme split in infections for 80+?
Can you guess why it exists? If you think this is the result of normal difference in life expectation: good guess. Wrong, though

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Older men are significantly more socially isolated than older women?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Antigravitas posted:

See that extreme split in infections for 80+?
Can you guess why it exists? If you think this is the result of normal difference in life expectation: good guess. Wrong, though
I had a thought, but 80-89 would (have) be(en) a tad too young for that to be correct.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm guessing it has something to do with the text on the graph being in German

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Huh, WW2 meaning there's not as many 80+ year old German men?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Byzantine posted:

That was my first thought, but an 80 year old would have been born in 1940 or 41.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

frankenfreak posted:

I had a thought, but 80-89 would (have) be(en) a tad too young for that to be correct.

While true, look at the demographics:

Iirc the extreme female surplus in the older demographics is war and post-war related. You'd normally expect a surplus, but not that insanely pronounced.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Not even the Nazis would send literal newborns to fight though.

e: beaten like the nazis

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Antigravitas posted:

Iirc the extreme female surplus in the older demographics is war and post-war related. You'd normally expect a surplus, but not that insanely pronounced.
Any reason for the post-war surplus or is that just coincidence?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Memento posted:

Yeah starting the y-axis at 4 is certainly A Choice.

I don’t know if this is the original source, but it’s just this:

https://youtu.be/R_USJCTIgs4

EDIT: Oh great, there’s even bonus transphobia at the end (on top of all the other gross poo poo).

CellBlock has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Feb 14, 2021

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sighence posted:

Not even the Nazis would send literal newborns to fight though.

e: beaten like the nazis

Unless my math is bad (very plausible), people in the 80-89 demographic in 2021 would be born in 1932-1941, i.e. they would have been between 4-13 years old in 1945. Something to to do with the Hitler Youth, maybe? Did a lot of them get killed volunteering in munitions factories?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

13 year olds were old enough for the Volkssturm.

I'm fairly certain I read a paper that went into some detail that war and post-war scarcity and upheaval had a stark impact on the relative distribution of the sexes, but now I can't find it again and I'm beginning to doubt my memory. I'm making a note to waste some time at work tomorrow on finding it again, since I have access to a lot of journals at work…

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm wondering if it was an emigration thing? Living in postwar Germany was probably not great and men likely had more freedom to be able to just leave than women.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm wondering if it was an emigration thing? Living in postwar Germany was probably not great and men likely had more freedom to be able to just leave than women.

Are we sure its not just the fact that men die younger than women? That looks pretty close to the us age distribution that had none of these post war effects.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/241488/population-of-the-us-by-sex-and-age/

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The men just refused to see a doctor until it was too late:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Elviscat posted:

I haven't done a statistical analysis or anything, but my gut tells me redrawing on these state lines would be a huge improvement fot American politics.

No, clearly these are the four new countries that emerge after the collapse, and Canada annexes Alaska.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Antigravitas posted:

13 year olds were old enough for the Volkssturm.

I'm fairly certain I read a paper that went into some detail that war and post-war scarcity and upheaval had a stark impact on the relative distribution of the sexes, but now I can't find it again and I'm beginning to doubt my memory. I'm making a note to waste some time at work tomorrow on finding it again, since I have access to a lot of journals at work…

You are right that the sex ratio in newborns sees significant shifts during times of crisis, but it's the other way round: during the world wars and in the years immediately following them the percentage of boys being born rose by a lot (see this article). The causes aren’t really known yet though, and I'd also be interested if that holds for other times and crises as well, eg the colonisation of the Americas, the Irish famine or the collapse of the USSR

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Leviathan Song posted:

Are we sure its not just the fact that men die younger than women? That looks pretty close to the us age distribution that had none of these post war effects.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/241488/population-of-the-us-by-sex-and-age/

And here is Russia (2015):

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

System Metternich posted:

You are right that the sex ratio in newborns sees significant shifts during times of crisis, but it's the other way round: during the world wars and in the years immediately following them the percentage of boys being born rose by a lot (see this article). The causes aren’t really known yet though, and I'd also be interested if that holds for other times and crises as well, eg the colonisation of the Americas, the Irish famine or the collapse of the USSR

Well, I can confidently state that… my search using my university resources has been entirely unsuccessful and I've given up on wasting my employer's time on this.

I retract my earlier statements and proclaim the opposite.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Well, I can confidently state that… my search using my university resources has been entirely unsuccessful and I've given up on wasting my employer's time on this.

I retract my earlier statements and proclaim the opposite.

waste your employer's time as much as possible

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
I've been binge-reading a bunch of Stephen Jay Gould's collected essays lately. (never lived a better pop sci writer imho). In The Panda's Thumb is a piece on neoteny called "A Biological Homage to Mickey Mouse."

Figure 1 and caption for context:

quote:

Mickey’s evolution during 50 years (left to right). As Mickey became increasingly well behaved over the years, his appearance became more youthful. Measurements of three stages in his development revealed a larger relative head size, larger eyes, and an enlarged cranium—all traits of juvenility. © Wall Disney Productions

Of course, I'd be remiss to not quote his methods section:

quote:

To give these observations the cachet of quantitative science, I applied my best pair of dial calipers to three stages of the official phylogeny—the thin-nosed, ears-forward figure of the early 1930s (stage 1), the latter-day Jack of Mickey and the Beanstalk (1947, stage 2), and the modern mouse (stage 3). I measured three signs of Mickey’s creeping juvenility: increasing eye size (maximum height) as a percentage of head length (base of the nose to top of rear ear); increasing head length as a percentage of body length; and increasing cranial vault size measured by rearward displacement of the front ear (base of the nose to top of front ear as a percentage of base of the nose to top of rear ear).

Here's the graph:

quote:

At an early stage in his evolution, Mickey had a smaller head, cranial vault, and eyes. He evolved toward the characteristics of his young nephew Morty (connected to Mickey by a dotted line).

Bonus figure:

quote:

Dandified, disreputable Mortimer (here stealing Minnie’s affections) has strikingly more adult features than Mickey. His head is smaller in proportion to body length; his nose is a full 80 percent of head length. © Walt Disney Productions

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That mouse fucks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
                Those trousers feel like I'm wearing nothing at all!
                            /  /
                          / /
                        //

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the book barn book of the month is “how to read donald duck” if anyone has further interest in a marxist analysis of disney characters from the perspective of not just physiology but also historical materialism

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tree Goat posted:

the book barn book of the month is “how to read donald duck” if anyone has further interest in a marxist analysis of disney characters from the perspective of not just physiology but also historical materialism

This sounds interesting, thanks for the recommendation!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
You know, for some reason it has started to annoy me that mickey's ears are ALWAYS on model. Always 85 degrees apart and always facing the viewer. It's somehow become frustrating on a sublime level. It makes me think about how you could possibly have ears in that arrangement, and how a real dog or other animal would look in the real world. And it's... annoying as hell?

I don't get why it feels that way, but I hate it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
It is probably your subconscious revulsion to constant branding.

Here. Bask in the glory of a tween frame of Phineas to reset:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ikanreed posted:

You know, for some reason it has started to annoy me that mickey's ears are ALWAYS on model. Always 85 degrees apart and always facing the viewer. It's somehow become frustrating on a sublime level. It makes me think about how you could possibly have ears in that arrangement, and how a real dog or other animal would look in the real world. And it's... annoying as hell?

I don't get why it feels that way, but I hate it.

this is what happens when Mickey stops being "a character" and starts being "a brand asset." consistency and recognition become more important than anything else, and guidelines with a lot of geometry in them become the rule.

does mickey ever show up as anything other than a corporate mascot anymore? like, do they still make shows or films where he appears? literally the only thing i can think of from the last 10 years is loving Kingdom Hearts.