Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly this game reminds me a lot of Vampire: Bloodlines before the patches.

That game has a billion times more depth than Cyberpunk, although I didn't play that when it came out. Was all the story stuff and different paths you could take added later in patches?

Does it not still require some arcane magic and community patches to get it working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That game has a billion times more depth than Cyberpunk, although I didn't play that when it came out. Was all the story stuff and different paths you could take added later in patches?

Does it not still require some arcane magic and community patches to get it working?

Oh no, all that was stuff was mostly there at the start. Bloodlines gets railroady in the back-half. But it was very buggy on release, to the point it was impossible to complete. You crashed to desktop at the end of a mandatory mission.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Earwicker posted:

ive seen ai using grenades pretty frequently but they are usually aimed very carelessly, almost entirely randomly

It took me about 2 minutes to get the achievement where your shoot one out of the air with a revolver, and I think they’re reasonably accurate if you’re completely stationary. If they’re that inaccurate, I almost bet they’re throwing them toward your previous locations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol. Vampire was alot more fun and finished!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

I dunno if I could say that, I remember numerous issues and game play problems but I was also super young and stupid and was probably like "wowwowweewow a goth titty vamp" and that pretty much made me happy with the game because I'm a loving horny idiot

VTMB did give the player a lot more illusion about the choices they made though, for sure

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

It's not a 1:1 comparison lol.

Edit: I really like Fem!V. How's the male version? Mostly the voice acting since they'r eprobably 100% the same otherwise.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MonsieurChoc posted:

Edit: I really like Fem!V. How's the male version? Mostly the voice acting since they'r eprobably 100% the same otherwise.

It's fine but definitely more generic computer game action personality.

FemV works better with Johnny Silverhand for some reason IMO

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I prefer the male V voice actor a lot more. I want female V to be a lot more direct and assertive. It's hard to articulate but she gets weirdly "pouty" occasionally and I find it really jarring; especially when you're flipping back and fourth between various options.

To me, it'll sound like you're whining/begging for a piece of information one second, and then your character just flips a switch and will be purely assertive again. Admittedly, that might be just how I prefer my female V to be though. Most others I know who've finished the game prefer her.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

TheAgent posted:

And you're saying the company with the years of experience creating bosses and encounters from W3, suddenly needs to relearn all those mistakes they supposedly learned half a decade ago? Because now the game is in first person? C'mon, man. It was just rushed the gently caress out and not tested or playtested properly.

It's almost like... encounters designed for 3rd person hack and slash gameplay... aren't the same as first person shooters. Encounter design is complete different in an FPS. The way they have to be programmed is completely different. Those ideas just don't translate well. They had a poo poo ton of time to work on them in this, and I do think the boss fights could have been better, but I also don't expect to see anything made as well as the last boss fight they made for a game they worked on as relentlessly as they did W3, especially since they've changed genres.

C'mon man, there are maybe 3 encounters in W3 outside of the expansions I can't just run through. It's not hard either, and the talents don't matter that much. The only real difference WRT fighting bosses is that they are mostly giant sacks of hitpoints in Witcher, and they do the dark souls multiple phases thing. That works great in a fantasy game, but not something that fits within Cyberpunk as a genre.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Male V is very much playing a generic-cool-guy 80's action movie type, straight down the middle. It actually worked really well in the playthrough I did with him, since my character had short, spiky hair and constantly wore kickass cyber-sunglasses and trench coats.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I get what you're going for and as a person who only just recently played Bloodlines for the first time last year there is definitely a ton of shared DNA not just in the gameplay, but in the characterizations

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I like the way male V says Jyaackie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If I do a second playthourgh (lol) it will be a Nomad Male!V, very Mad Maxian.

But I'm loving angry citygirl V.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I do a second playthourgh (lol) it will be a Nomad Male!V, very Mad Maxian.

But I'm loving angry citygirl V.

I enjoyed de-programmed former Corpo who's developed a conscience and sees Night City as the pile of bullshit that it is female V in my 3rd playthrough.

That's why she naturally gave up on Night City and left with the Nomads and Judy to start a new life in Arizona.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Vagabundo posted:

I enjoyed de-programmed former Corpo who's developed a conscience and sees Night City as the pile of bullshit that it is female V in my 3rd playthrough.

That's why she naturally gave up on Night City and left with the Nomads and Judy to start a new life in Arizona.

Funny how de-programmed former Corpo V is exactly the same as rebel-without-a-cause Nomad V who is exactly the same as street wise smooth talking Street Kid V.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Funny how de-programmed former Corpo V is exactly the same as rebel-without-a-cause Nomad V who is exactly the same as street wise smooth talking Street Kid V.

yeah. thats my issue with it. that being said. the nomad ending feels alot better with ex-corpo V than anyone else.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Blastedhellscape posted:

Male V is very much playing a generic-cool-guy 80's action movie type, straight down the middle. It actually worked really well in the playthrough I did with him, since my character had short, spiky hair and constantly wore kickass cyber-sunglasses and trench coats.

I actually really liked this a lot because I felt like V probably raised himself in front of the TV. Dude has no family or friends to speak of. He was probably just holed up in a megatower/trailer/whatever for the better part of his life watching Jean Claude Van Damme films and poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
CDPR’s source code has been sold by hackers for millions worth of crypto, and honestly if that’s not the most cyberpunk thing to happen this year I’ll be pretty surprised.

Also the difficulty curve issues, I think, are compounded by how many perks don’t seem to work. Like, my unstoppable Netrunner V is supposed to be even stronger and more explosive, but I could never get the capstone perks to trigger.

A perk pass and a new difficulty setting (or a repass on the AI to make difficulty work differently) would be my top priorities.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What they're gonna do with the code? Exploits? It's a game, not even multiplayer. Crack copy protection? What copy protection? I'm honestly puzzled why some third party would want to pay for it, even if crypto. Maybe fix some parts of the game and publish the patches anonymously, while slipping trojans within them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

What they're gonna do with the code? Exploits? It's a game, not even multiplayer. Crack copy protection? What copy protection? I'm honestly puzzled why some third party would want to pay for it, even if crypto. Maybe fix some parts of the game and publish the patches anonymously, while slipping trojans within them.

They could fix the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you're in China you can make some minor adjustments and sell it as it's own game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Having CDPR's code out there in the wild for everyone to poke around in basically means that CDPR's security is compromised... basically forever? Or at least until they completely restructure their code base?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bust Rodd posted:

Having CDPR's code out there in the wild for everyone to poke around in basically means that CDPR's security is compromised... basically forever? Or at least until they completely restructure their code base?
That'd make sense if this was a server application.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm kinda disappointed. I was a total rear end in a top hat to Judy and Evelyn the entire game and it basically changed nothing at all. Act 2 spoilers Judy still tells me I'm a good person and Evelyn would have trusted me if she got to know me and then invites me a long for her Clouds thing. Man Judy, I did nothing but insult you and Evelyn, tried to interogate her during her rescue, and then complained about the quality of BDs you got out of your friend's skull. Tell me to gently caress the hell off damnit!

Remember when you could lock yourself out of quests or open up different sides of quests in Witcher 2 and 3 through dialogue choices? Really wish that company made this game too.
I can forgive everything about the game except the lack of choices and reactivity. It's such a massive step down compared to the character interactions and quests of Witcher 3

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
To be honest, if you excuse literally everything else, the Voodoo boys "choice" having no impact on the story's narrative is inexcusable. It's presented with the same agency as Jackie bleeding out in the car.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PerilPastry posted:

I can forgive everything about the game except the lack of choices and reactivity. It's such a massive step down compared to the character interactions and quests of Witcher 3

Some reason there's a big plot point that v is dying but there is no countdown timer or anything. You could live forever in night city and v is in no danger of having him brain chip kill him.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I wonder how much will CDPR stock go down tomorrow after the sold source code news. gently caress, I hope all this poo poo combined won't kill the company.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Palpek posted:

I wonder how much will CDPR stock go down tomorrow after the sold source code news. gently caress, I hope all this poo poo combined won't kill the company.

I mean, Cyberpunk 2077 sold a shitload of copies, even with refunds. CDPR isn't in the best situation, but I genuinely doubt they are risking failures. Maybe this will put enough pressure on management to cause a shake-up, but I doubt even that.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I dunno, according to Ars Technica it was a case of "We totes legit sold the code to our girlfriend in Canada, you wouldn't know her. No, you can't see the receipt."

e: Now with spicy link-to-the-article-in-question action!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There will be a ton of DLSS and Raytracing free to play games coming out of China and Russia I figure for the next 5 years. If the code is bad enough to read though it’ll take that long to figure out how to compile a full production binary anywhere other than a crappy Jenkins server.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
DLSS is available as a free plug-in on UE4 now, but before then, the implementation IIRC required developers to make sure that NVidia could elaborate high-resolution images from their game before the algorithm could be plugged in and work properly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

inscrutable horse posted:

I dunno, according to Ars Technica it was a case of "We totes legit sold the code to our girlfriend in Canada, you wouldn't know her. No, you can't see the receipt."

e: Now with spicy link-to-the-article-in-question action!

Gotta agree. Who the hell would pay a decent sum of money, never mind millions for it.

What would be the point, what could you hope to do with it that wouldn't get you in a whole heap of legal trouble the moment you tried anything with it. And what would even that anything even be.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Gotta agree. Who the hell would pay a decent sum of money, never mind millions for it.

What would be the point, what could you hope to do with it that wouldn't get you in a whole heap of legal trouble the moment you tried anything with it. And what would even that anything even be.

Yeah, it's even DRM free so the obvious "remove the DRM and sell pirated copies" explanation isn't even valid. There's no way the source code is of any tangible value to anyone outside of CDPR.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hackers are gonna put back in all the cool stuff that was cut at the last minute according to that reddit post!!

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

To be honest, if you excuse literally everything else, the Voodoo boys "choice" having no impact on the story's narrative is inexcusable. It's presented with the same agency as Jackie bleeding out in the car.

Don't get me started
The game wouldn't even let me shoot the two VBs outside the mall. I did some sightseeing in Pacifica right after and I made a point of blasting every single group of VBs i encountered along the way. And when I get back to their hq? No reaction, just "Oops, you're alive, step into our computer"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

exquisite tea posted:

Hackers are gonna put back in all the cool stuff that was cut at the last minute according to that reddit post!!

"My goodness, the police actually *chase* you and accept bribes now!" :monocle:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bust Rodd posted:

CDPR’s source code has been sold by hackers for millions worth of crypto, and honestly if that’s not the most cyberpunk thing to happen this year I’ll be pretty surprised.

literally no proof it was sold, just the word of the thieves

Most everyone assumes they saved face by saying it was sold before their auction began, which to me makes sense, they were really hoping to make money off of the ransom and not selling it

because who is gonna buy it for real? no one

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I know nothing of software development, but wouldn't you be able to use the source code to rip off the game engine and then build tons of games off a hacked version of CDPR's engine and change it just enough to get around copywrite issues? If so then a million bucks compared to years of development time or having to pay licensing fees would seem like a decent idea.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

I honestly just assume Russia or China stole it and pretended to sell it to another buyer so fewer people suspect a nation state did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I know nothing of software development, but wouldn't you be able to use the source code to rip off the game engine and then build tons of games off a hacked version of CDPR's engine and change it just enough to get around copywrite issues? If so then a million bucks compared to years of development time or having to pay licensing fees would seem like a decent idea.

who the gently caress would want to build anything off their engine

and it’s still their IP even if it’s stolen and modified