Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Spooking a cat with a bag is one thing. Pretty sure most people who do that are just playing with the cat, might even make them bond emotionally once the scare is over.

Jorp on the other hand seems to imply something more malicious when he harasses animals. There's no mutual respect or empathy there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

jorpy said a lot of stupid things over the years, but one complaint that doesn't get nearly enough attention was his paranoid fear that certain trans people are prone to change their gender on a daily basis. it was one of the main reasons he referenced that he was against C-16.

not to give the lobster king the benefit of the doubt or anything, but is this a thing some trans people do?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Any Jordan defenders show up again yet

i was hoping that one lobster from a few pages back would show up again to defend lobster daddy's honor with that 'hit piece' from the times

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

no that's not a thing outside some tween's Tumblr persona

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tarkus posted:

I dunno, I wonder if it's just us as people projecting our emotions onto the cat. Like I wonder if you were to put together a compilation of two types of video, one where it starts just shortly after the cat has done something embarrassing and another where the cat is just doing normal stuff. I wonder if people could sort out the ones where the cat is embarrassed.

Personally, I think the closest any of my cats come to shame is the fact they don't like being people being around while taking a dump in the litter box. That too could simply be interpreted as a natural instinct to not be caught in a vulnerable state.

house cats are prey size, so yes a lot of the behavior we see as dignity / embarrassment / "I meant to do that" has nothing to do with cat ego. it has everything to do with projecting an impression of health and fitness against predators

miss a jump or fall off the table, walk away and wash your paws? yes they're acting cool, but the cat is acting cool so a potential coyote or leopard doesn't know whether they just sprained an ankle.

Mr Interweb posted:

not to give the lobster king the benefit of the doubt or anything, but is this a thing some trans people do?

like, I'm sure you can find an example if you try (probably on tumblr)

but it's a complete strawman because misusing pronouns isn't what C-16 is about and isn't against the statue

Jorp couldn't be thrown in prison for using the wrong pronouns, even on someone who never changed their pronouns or identity and was 100% consistent about it, unless it could be shown to be harassment. And for it to me harassment it would have to be provably intentional. Which would mean you'd have to be doing something more than using the wrong pronoun when addressing someone.

when dealing with these type of people always remember that the base premises of their arguments are often wrong. So it's like, even the most benefit of the doubt case is wrong because the whole thing is a falsification of reality. That's what you're dealing with, people who will lie about basic facts and then try to argue about the conclusion 5 steps later.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

i can't speak for all of trans-kind but i do run a D&D game with someone who is gender fluid. they don't insist they are one gender or another day by day, but they basically just act like themselves and roll with whatever gender the person they are talking to decides.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Genderfluid and non-binary people are virtually the opposite of that accusation, they realize they don't fit into any neat ascription of gender identity so they simply define themselves as existing outside of, or amorphously within, the binary, and that's the long and short of it. No hyper specific identities, no fancy pronoun fuckery. It's literally just "I don't feel like I exist on one end of the binary, or I don't feel like I exist within it." for genderfluid and non-binary individuals respectively.

That is no way a whole "list of genders." One still acknowledges the binary, but instead asserts that one can exist in a fluid state between, and the other one just disregards it and refuses to adhere to gender prescriptivism.

They're both defined, assertively confident projections of identity. They are not wishy-washy. That's why "they" as a pronoun is so extraordinarily common amongst either people in those groups. People rarely pick a pronoun other than that when falling into those groups.

Of course, if you're an absolute loving dullard, you'll probably interpret it as "Not making up your mind." because you've wholesale adopted the conditioned response to believe it as an either-or preposition, and already believe that the gender binary is biologically inherent (lol) or that one cannot exist between either state.
Which is rich, because these are the same people who will derisively call effeminate men sissies or "not real men."

That's kind of like, make up your mind, can someone be effeminate and thus "act like a woman" and basically display genderfluidity, or is it prescriptivist and no matter how much of a "sissy" a dude acts like he'll always be 100% macho man?
They always skirt around the truth of the thing and the realization that their very own homophobia and misogyny is literal proof of it, but never quite catch on because they're stupid as poo poo.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 13, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Klyith posted:

house cats are prey size, so yes a lot of the behavior we see as dignity / embarrassment / "I meant to do that" has nothing to do with cat ego. it has everything to do with projecting an impression of health and fitness against predators

miss a jump or fall off the table, walk away and wash your paws? yes they're acting cool, but the cat is acting cool so a potential coyote or leopard doesn't know whether they just sprained an ankle.

idk dude this is the same basic reason when I see someone I recognize from SA walkin around town I pretend I don't know them

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's not like humans developed their social instincts and neurochemistry through pure reason unlike all the other animals, we do what we do cause back in the Pleistocene or whatever if some caveman started telling a stranger caveman about his favorite hentai within five minutes of meeting him, boom, leopards

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's not like humans developed their social instincts and neurochemistry through pure reason unlike all the other animals, we do what we do cause back in the Pleistocene or whatever if some caveman started telling a stranger caveman about his favorite hentai within five minutes of meeting him, boom, leopards

sure but humans are social animals and evolutionary roots of our behavior reflects that. people who break their ankle don't hide their injury, we make a big fuss so the other apes help out and bring us food. otoh we tend not to tell the other apes about our favorite hentai because being shunned isn't good for survival.

projecting socially motivated behavior (self-importance, embarrassment, etc) onto cats is wrong because cats aren't social animals

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lmao people absolutely hide their injuries and illnesses, you ever heard of toxic masculinity

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Klyith posted:

projecting socially motivated behavior (self-importance, embarrassment, etc) onto cats is wrong because cats aren't social animals

in what sense are cats "not social animals"? while they spend time alone and hunt alone, left to their own devices, cats often live in groups which absolutely have social dynamics

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/behavior/normal-social-behavior-and-behavioral-problems-of-domestic-animals/social-behavior-of-cats posted:

Cats are social animals that, in feral conditions, live in groups consisting mainly of queens and their litters. The density of the group depends partly on food resources. Because cats have been exposed to less selective breeding than dogs, there is far less breed diversity and a much narrower range of differences in both physical and behavioral traits. Most cats are solitary hunters that prey on rodents and other small animals, which is likely why their coexistence with people is so successful. Kittens usually learn to prefer to hunt prey that their mother hunted. Kittens may also develop limited food preferences based on texture and taste if not given a variety of foods when young.

In free-range conditions, multiple generations of related females can live together, which also allows for communal rearing of kittens. Kittens may stay with the social group until 12–18 mo old.

and having encountered and observed many of these feral groups back when i lived in a neighborhood that was full of them, it seems like dignity is extra important. like the average cat would rather have a human see them loving up a jump or climb than one of their fellow cats. i mean im a human and i'd be pretty embarassed if i tripped in fell in front of some of them because you can just tell theyd be laughing about it forever

Klyith posted:

sure but humans are social animals and evolutionary roots of our behavior reflects that. people who break their ankle don't hide their injury

this is also way off. all kinds of injuries and illnesses are routinely hidden by people, especially mental illness

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 13, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cats are not obligate socializers like apes and dogs, meaning they’re perfectly fine on their own but are also happy to live in groups, whereas humans suffer and decline if they don’t have other people to talk to.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
This is crazy.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Klyith posted:

sure but humans are social animals and evolutionary roots of our behavior reflects that. people who break their ankle don't hide their injury, we make a big fuss so the other apes help out and bring us food. otoh we tend not to tell the other apes about our favorite hentai because being shunned isn't good for survival.

so is your point that animals don't have qualia because their actions are partly determined by what we can speculate were at some point survival-relevant instincts, unlike humans? or that cats are not literally human beings so while they may exhibit behaviors similar to ours for comparable reasons it would be incorrect and foolish to refer to what they experience as "embarassment", in much the same way it would be absurd to say cats have "legs" when they look barely anything like our legs? And where are the nerd-eating leopards these days, anyway, did they die out?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

please post more about your cool evo psych theories, real fascinating stuff goons

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Earwicker posted:

in what sense are cats "not social animals"? while they spend time alone and hunt alone, left to their own devices, cats often live in groups which absolutely have social dynamics

this is not at all the behavior of wild ancestors of housecats though. and a social animal isn't "can sometimes live in groups, under some conditions", it's when that is their normal state.

cats totally have social behavior and communication. but it maps very poorly onto normal human interpretations, and I really don't think dignity has anything to do with their motivations.

Earwicker posted:

especially mental illness

right, getting back to the subject of jorpo!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Y'all really don't need to invent new weird reasons to hate a transphobic far right ideologue :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea and i think regardless of our differing opinions on cats and their experience and/or expression of embarassment i think we can all agree that going around scaring them on purpose is an rear end in a top hat thing to do

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Every pet owner knows half the fun of having a pet is messing with them, but that's a very different thing from annoying random animals you encounter.

The overall theme is Jorps has a real standard boomer liking for abusing things that can't fight back or give him any consequences.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i just wonder if that was written pre- or post-brain damage because spooking random cats seems like something most people over the age of, like, five wouldn't find boundlessly entertaining to do again and again

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Shocked that Jorp has a troubled relationship with pussy

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i just wonder if that was written pre- or post-brain damage because spooking random cats seems like something most people over the age of, like, five wouldn't find boundlessly entertaining to do again and again
I honestly think that it's his idea of trying to make himself look more human. He most likely sat down to specifically come up with something evoking an emotional response BUT which wouldn't make him look unmanly and ended up with startling cats.

He'll often go off telling these pointless side stories that have little more to them than communicating "See? I'm not a monster". The telling sign is him making sure the point is driven home over and over but also that it's always something carefully selected for not shaking his father figure machismo.

Like, when he's talking about upbringing children the most positive behavior he describes is greeting a child and patting them on the head. It's how you treat a child of a colleague but that's how he describes the experience of being a father (other than a lot of detailed advice on how to discipline your kids).

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
The weirder thing is that the cat thing comes in a chapter titled “pet a cat when you encounter one on the street”. He says he pets cats when he “has himself under proper control.” Jorp likes to portray himself as always being on the edge of losing control and terrorising man, woman, toddler and beast. I think he thinks it’s cool and masculine.

Ths comment earlier saying opinions about cats are usually veiled sexist opinions were onto something imo, there’s something a bit... odd in how he talks about the cats.

quote:

But when I have myself under proper control, I’ll bend down, and call the cat over, so I can pet it. Sometimes, it will run away. Sometimes, it will ignore me completely, because it’s a cat. But sometimes the cat will come over to me, push its head against my waiting hand, and be pleased about it. Sometimes it will even roll over, and arch its back against the dusty concrete (although cats positioned in that manner will often bite and claw even a friendly hand).

Ginger is a Siamese, a beautiful cat, very calm and self-possessed. She is low in the Big Five personality trait of neuroticism, which is an index of anxiety, fear and emotional pain. Sometimes when you call her—sometimes of her own accord—Ginger will trot across the street, tail held high, with a little kink at the end. Then she will roll on her back in front of Sikko, who wags his tail happily as a consequence. Afterward, if she feels like it, she might come visit you, for a half a minute. It’s a nice break. It’s a little extra light, on a good day, and a tiny respite, on a bad day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Royal Updog posted:

Shocked that Jorp has a troubled relationship with pussy

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what's jorp's position on the "raising a girl is the ultimate cuck" 4chan copypasta?

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
Lmao @ chuds believing gender is an actual thing like it’s 1998

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Workaday Wizard posted:

what's jorp's position on the "raising a girl is the ultimate cuck" 4chan copypasta?

He wrote it

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Genderfluid and non-binary people are virtually the opposite of that accusation, they realize they don't fit into any neat ascription of gender identity so they simply define themselves as existing outside of, or amorphously within, the binary, and that's the long and short of it. No hyper specific identities, no fancy pronoun fuckery. It's literally just "I don't feel like I exist on one end of the binary, or I don't feel like I exist within it." for genderfluid and non-binary individuals respectively.

That is no way a whole "list of genders." One still acknowledges the binary, but instead asserts that one can exist in a fluid state between, and the other one just disregards it and refuses to adhere to gender prescriptivism.

They're both defined, assertively confident projections of identity. They are not wishy-washy. That's why "they" as a pronoun is so extraordinarily common amongst either people in those groups. People rarely pick a pronoun other than that when falling into those groups.

Of course, if you're an absolute loving dullard, you'll probably interpret it as "Not making up your mind." because you've wholesale adopted the conditioned response to believe it as an either-or preposition, and already believe that the gender binary is biologically inherent (lol) or that one cannot exist between either state.
Which is rich, because these are the same people who will derisively call effeminate men sissies or "not real men."

That's kind of like, make up your mind, can someone be effeminate and thus "act like a woman" and basically display genderfluidity, or is it prescriptivist and no matter how much of a "sissy" a dude acts like he'll always be 100% macho man?
They always skirt around the truth of the thing and the realization that their very own homophobia and misogyny is literal proof of it, but never quite catch on because they're stupid as poo poo.

I really appreciate this post and learned from it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

When they enter the habitat, an unavoidable struggle ensues, a battle for dominance. The weak submit and the strong rule. The dominance is expressed through physical and mental strength. The smart lead and the dumb follow. The universal order of the universe is a hierarchy where the capable and the strong dominate the weak and incapable. As everywhere in nature, here on earth, power is the ultimate currency. The strong act and survive, the weak hesitate and perish. And from that struggle, progress happens. On the marketplace of ideas, the best and the brightest ideas dominate the weak ideas. Life is eternal suffering and struggle and this suffering and struggling begets even more suffering and struggle, which is the nature of progress. In John 4:20 it says only the strong of will will survive. Evolution is struggle. Human society, as every society, is built on certain core principle which decadent and failing society always chose to ignore. Strength and discipline always triumphs over weakness. Females.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Jorp hosed me and couldn’t even hold eye-contact with my cat

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Consider the Kitten

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

GABA ghoul posted:

When they enter the habitat, an unavoidable struggle ensues, a battle for dominance. The weak submit and the strong rule. The dominance is expressed through physical and mental strength. The smart lead and the dumb follow. The universal order of the universe is a hierarchy where the capable and the strong dominate the weak and incapable. As everywhere in nature, here on earth, power is the ultimate currency. The strong act and survive, the weak hesitate and perish. And from that struggle, progress happens. On the marketplace of ideas, the best and the brightest ideas dominate the weak ideas. Life is eternal suffering and struggle and this suffering and struggling begets even more suffering and struggle, which is the nature of progress. In John 4:20 it says only the strong of will will survive. Evolution is struggle. Human society, as every society, is built on certain core principle which decadent and failing society always chose to ignore. Strength and discipline always triumphs over weakness. Females.

It is difficult to associate these horrors with the proud civilizations that created them: Sparta, Rome, The Knights of Europe, the Proud Boys... They worshipped strength, because it is strength that makes all other values possible. Nothing survives without it. Who knows what delicate wonders have died out of the world, for want of the strength to survive.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Workaday Wizard posted:

Gross.

E/N but I have daughters and raising them to subvert expectations of how little girls are supposed to act is one of my favorite parts. If you ask them they identify as feminists without hesitation.

I'm very proud and gently caress Jordan Peterson and gently caress 4chan thank you for listening

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Klyith posted:

like, I'm sure you can find an example if you try (probably on tumblr)

but it's a complete strawman because misusing pronouns isn't what C-16 is about and isn't against the statue

Jorp couldn't be thrown in prison for using the wrong pronouns, even on someone who never changed their pronouns or identity and was 100% consistent about it, unless it could be shown to be harassment. And for it to me harassment it would have to be provably intentional. Which would mean you'd have to be doing something more than using the wrong pronoun when addressing someone.

when dealing with these type of people always remember that the base premises of their arguments are often wrong. So it's like, even the most benefit of the doubt case is wrong because the whole thing is a falsification of reality. That's what you're dealing with, people who will lie about basic facts and then try to argue about the conclusion 5 steps later.

Rutibex posted:

i can't speak for all of trans-kind but i do run a D&D game with someone who is gender fluid. they don't insist they are one gender or another day by day, but they basically just act like themselves and roll with whatever gender the person they are talking to decides.

cool, thanks. like i said, i know this being jorp he was more than likely making poo poo up, but i still wanted to do my due diligence

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i came across a long forgotten jorpism:

"i tell 18 year olds, six years ago, you were 12. what the hell do you know?"

the man definitely knows his math, that's for sure

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
And one year ago he was in a gulag coma.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is a very important page with a lot of very important information but I'm going to break that up unfortunately, because I have to know...

Can someone explain the thread title?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is a very important page with a lot of very important information but I'm going to break that up unfortunately, because I have to know...

Can someone explain the thread title?

There's an old Simpson's episode where Milhouse is excitedly showing Bart his pog collection. The pièce de résistance is an Alf pog which Milhouse holds up and says "Remember Alf? He's back! In pog form!"

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
I love my cats and If I ever catch jorpy sneaking around scaring them I will gently caress him up so much no russian doctor can save him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

DickParasite posted:

There's an old Simpson's episode where Milhouse is excitedly showing Bart his pog collection. The pièce de résistance is an Alf pog which Milhouse holds up and says "Remember Alf? He's back! In pog form!"

the last sentence is said more parenthetically as I remember it. not so enthusiastically. so whenever i see this thread title I have a little blip of goon rage that it ends with an exclamation mark

also what’s with goons never googling anything