Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yeah, from Throne of Chaos there's some Lahmia Vampires out in Cathay who've created their own bloodline effectively, "Jade Vampires".

They're basically Lahmian Vampires except, well, green :v:

Wait, aren't they supposed to be eunuch vampires? Given that eunuchs associated with China's government tend to be male and Lahmians recruit almost exclusively female members...Uh, how would that work?

I thought they were their own thing that no one knows about outside of a cursory mention of them being eunuch sorcerers that basically are a riff on the actual eunuch's that were a part of the government of certain Chinese empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Archonex posted:

Wait, aren't they supposed to be eunuch vampires? Given that eunuchs associated with China's government tend to be male and Lahmians recruit almost exclusively female members...Uh, how would that work?

I thought they were their own thing that no one knows about outside of a cursory mention of them being eunuch sorcerers that basically are a riff on the actual eunuch's that were a part of the government of certain Chinese empires.

Two separate things. There's a Lahmian presence in Cathay and also a separate bloodline called the Jade Blooded, who are descended from Neferata's vizier, Harakhte.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ZeusJupitar posted:

Two separate things. There's a Lahmian presence in Cathay and also a separate bloodline called the Jade Blooded, who are descended from Neferata's vizier, Harakhte.

Lahmian vampires controlling a powerful noble clan in Cathay vs. Jade Blooded vampires trying to root them out in the service of Imperial Court as unique Cathay LL pack. You heard it here first.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Anyone got any recs for youtubers who do full campaigns and are pretty chill that I can just throw up on a second screen whilst doing other stuff? I already follow Janet On Occasion but it would be nice to see the campaigns of the LLs he hasn't covered yet.

He's mostly on Twitch these days but I like Tokshen and he's got a bunch of completed campaigns on YouTube.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lt. Lizard posted:

Lahmian vampires controlling a powerful noble clan in Cathay vs. Jade Blooded vampires trying to root them out in the service of Imperial Court as unique Cathay LL pack. You heard it here first.

This just sounds like the political fight between the palace women and the court eunuchs that led to collapse of the Han dynasty, except everyone is a vampire

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Genevieve I think she would make sense as being more like Gotrek and Felix.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So I've been trying out SFO finally and it's pretty good, but some factions feel so underpowered. I want to like Vampire Counts/Von Carstein but I get destroyed by the Empire factions before I can really get rolling every time. I'm not auto-resolving (sidenote: it's very satisfying to get like 1k+ kills per battle with your vampire lord) but there's just so much hero spam and their units are so much better overall that even my elite armies/spellcasters can't keep up. The really high tier units (especially blood knights) do well but there's no way to reliably get them right away, so I'm usually stuck facing multiple elector count stacks by turn 40 with mostly zombies and grave guard/a handful of monsters. There are too many of them for me to really strangle them all before they have a chance to build up too. Has anyone had any success with them? I play on VH by the way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol even with the chaos invasion cranked up to Legendary they died within twenty turns because the Vampires had taken over the old world and the high elves went all colonial empire and resettled everything instantly.

loving hell Chaos needs a rework so single stacks are dangerous and they don't bunch their armies together to get lightning struck to death in a single turn. The end turn balance of power for chaos had them vastly tougher than me and then once it was my turn I got the age of peace event notification.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So I've been trying out SFO finally and it's pretty good, but some factions feel so underpowered. I want to like Vampire Counts/Von Carstein but I get destroyed by the Empire factions before I can really get rolling every time. I'm not auto-resolving (sidenote: it's very satisfying to get like 1k+ kills per battle with your vampire lord) but there's just so much hero spam and their units are so much better overall that even my elite armies/spellcasters can't keep up. The really high tier units (especially blood knights) do well but there's no way to reliably get them right away, so I'm usually stuck facing multiple elector count stacks by turn 40 with mostly zombies and grave guard/a handful of monsters. There are too many of them for me to really strangle them all before they have a chance to build up too. Has anyone had any success with them? I play on VH by the way.

FWIW the next factions that are slated to get attention in SFO are high elves and dark elves, and then Vampire Counts following that, so they're aware that VCs are lagging behind. I don't know how optimistic to be about them getting the attention they need now that Venris is on indefinite leave, but he did say he hired another coder before all the drama went down, so that should ideally help keep the project moving to some extent. I'm pretty sure Venris said VCs are his least favorite faction, so that's probably why they've been at the back of the queue for so long.

That said, I did a Chaos SFO run recently and the vampires were stomping all over the Empire, so I don't know if they're actually in a super weak place or just haven't been given as many flavorful updates as some of the other factions. That's obviously a small sample size though. :shrug:

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 15, 2021

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sinteres posted:

FWIW the next factions that are slated to get attention in SFO are high elves and dark elves, and then Vampire Counts following that, so they're aware that VCs are lagging behind. I don't know how optimistic to be about them getting the attention they need now that Venris is on indefinite leave, but he did say he hired another coder before all the drama went down, so that should ideally help keep the project moving to some extent. I'm pretty sure Venris said VCs are his least favorite faction, so that's probably why they've been at the back of the queue for so long.

That said, I did a Chaos SFO run recently and the vampires were stomping all over the Empire, so I don't know if they're actually in a super weak place or just haven't been given as many flavorful updates as some of the other factions. That's obviously a small sample size though. :shrug:

Yeah I think the Vampire AI has an easier time since they start with their province united already instead of having to conquer rebel settlements. Sometimes when I play as Reikland it seems like the vampires are in at the borders by turn 20 or so, other times the other elector counts kill them before I get a chance to.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It was a while back, but someone brought up one of the problems with chaos dwarfs: they only have one city. While technically true, this city is actually the size of athel loren. Moreover, they have fortresses and the like that spread for hundreds of miles in each direction, which are as much habitation and industry as they are military. So, while they could do a wood elf/norsca settlement and outpost divide, it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

AnEdgelord posted:

This just sounds like the political fight between the palace women and the court eunuchs that led to collapse of the Han dynasty, except everyone is a vampire

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Do Jade vampires hop instead of walk like the Jiangshi do in mythology? This is extremely important to me because I want an army where every infantry unit is happily hopping towards the enemy, like an unstoppable murder ball.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Jade vampires left before Nagash got bopped by Sigmar so they avoid just about all the normal vampire weaknesses bar needing blood and being weakened by the sun. Unfortunately like the other bloodlines they inherit a bunch of traits from their founder, who was a sickly old man before becoming a vampire. So they all have varying levels of blindness, reliance on drugs for mobility, and stiff joints.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Don Gato posted:

Do Jade vampires hop instead of walk like the Jiangshi do in mythology? This is extremely important to me because I want an army where every infantry unit is happily hopping towards the enemy, like an unstoppable murder ball.

With their arms held straight out. And hopping with their legs together like in potato sack race.

These details are important.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Archonex posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Oh dont get me wrong, that would be sick

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Jamwad Hilder posted:

vc is basically busted in sfo. i dunno what the dev guy was thinking, maybe he thought vc were op as hell or something because they get very little in the way of improvements when even lovely units in other factions like empire swordsmen still get a hefty bump in stats. i wanna like the mod and ive spent a couple hundred hours playing it but the dude doesn't really know how to balance poo poo well. other factions have a big problem with armor essentially being a minor stat because even those lovely empire swordsman have way more ap damage than they had in vanilla, and most units that were originally ap end up getting more regular damage and less ap, so generally most units have pretty similar damage profiles for some stupid reason. some elites like hammerers or gw chosen get pretty beefy ap dmg but theyre more exceptions than rules. it ends up with stats other than hp not really mattering for elite troops because theyre going to take a lot of damage either way. but then the units themselves tend to be way cooler than their vanilla counterparts (hammerers doing aoe dmg? chosen that hit for 100+ dmg each? hell yea) so its a wash.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Don Gato posted:

have u heard of the squig

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Muscle Wizard posted:

vc is basically busted in sfo. i dunno what the dev guy was thinking, maybe he thought vc were op as hell or something because they get very little in the way of improvements when even lovely units in other factions like empire swordsmen still get a hefty bump in stats. i wanna like the mod and ive spent a couple hundred hours playing it but the dude doesn't really know how to balance poo poo well. other factions have a big problem with armor essentially being a minor stat because even those lovely empire swordsman have way more ap damage than they had in vanilla, and most units that were originally ap end up getting more regular damage and less ap, so generally most units have pretty similar damage profiles for some stupid reason. some elites like hammerers or gw chosen get pretty beefy ap dmg but theyre more exceptions than rules. it ends up with stats other than hp not really mattering for elite troops because theyre going to take a lot of damage either way. but then the units themselves tend to be way cooler than their vanilla counterparts (hammerers doing aoe dmg? chosen that hit for 100+ dmg each? hell yea) so its a wash.

Yeah there are things that are great about SFO (I particularly like what they've done with some factions to differentiate lords from each other), but even with some submods allowing you to opt out of a few specific things, it's kind of unfortunate how much gets lumped in since it overhauls so many things and you end up having to take the bad with the good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah I'd love a version of SFO with all the extra skills and mechanics and quality of life improvements and tech changes and nothing else

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ha, dunno if it's been pointed out already but the lyrics to the song from the trailer are from the RPG. It's a song in tribute to Dazh, the Kislevite god of the sun. Another nice touch.

quote:

"The heart is as a new-strung bow
It knows not its strength ‘til tested
Yet though it wound its target deep
‘Tis the bowman’s flesh that festers

A woman is as a new-cut axe
She needs no strength for rending
Yet though she bests at every clash
She yields at battle’s ending.

A fray is as a blazing hearth
Where life and death are found
Our enemies driven back in fear
Our hearts with brothers bound

Death is like the winter chill
No door can keep it from us
And summer yet may bloom again
Though ice be all upon us."

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol even with the chaos invasion cranked up to Legendary they died within twenty turns because the Vampires had taken over the old world and the high elves went all colonial empire and resettled everything instantly.

loving hell Chaos needs a rework so single stacks are dangerous and they don't bunch their armies together to get lightning struck to death in a single turn. The end turn balance of power for chaos had them vastly tougher than me and then once it was my turn I got the age of peace event notification.

In Warhammer 1 I always looked at Chaos as the endgame. In Warhammer 2, I have never had to fight Chaos in my 3 complete playthroughs so far. They always die to the AI.

Image how embarrassing it is for Archaon to lose to Talabecland....

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only reason I fought chaos at all was because I controlled Naggarroth as Alith Anar. +75% ambush chance and lightning strike ended them in two turns.

The endgame hellwar us currently against Vampires while clan eshin owns everything from the southland to the border princes.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Cardboard Fox posted:

In Warhammer 1 I always looked at Chaos as the endgame. In Warhammer 2, I have never had to fight Chaos in my 3 complete playthroughs so far. They always die to the AI.

I just wrapped up my first campaign in TW2 (didn't play 1 but I own it) - I had to fight almost the entire chaos invasion on my own after they wiped out the Dark Elves completely before I got a chance to really take them on. Literally the entire Northern half of the west continent was ruins when I went up there. It was an amazing "final boss" experience for the campaign after I started steam rolling around turn 90~

Sad to hear that doesn't always happen lol, I was playing on Easy though so maybe the Easy AI just can't handle Chaos?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That might be it. Easy AI makes the campaign AI's corruption and Untainted powers far weaker. I think what especially bogs down Chaos in the Old World is that at higher difficulties Vampiric and Skaven Corruption are so powerful they don't have the strength to spread chaos corruption fast enough and therefore they lack easy replenishment. They just wither from attrition. And once Archaon and the other LLs are taken out the rest of the armies vanish. So you have half dead stacks that always fight concentrated to overwhelm the enemy, putting all the LLs into close proximity where all three LLs can get killed in a single turn.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

DourCricket posted:

I just wrapped up my first campaign in TW2 (didn't play 1 but I own it) - I had to fight almost the entire chaos invasion on my own after they wiped out the Dark Elves completely before I got a chance to really take them on. Literally the entire Northern half of the west continent was ruins when I went up there. It was an amazing "final boss" experience for the campaign after I started steam rolling around turn 90~

Sad to hear that doesn't always happen lol, I was playing on Easy though so maybe the Easy AI just can't handle Chaos?

I always play on Normal and every campaign just has the Dark Elves going super saiyan and killing everyone. My last long campaign victory was with The Empire this week and I just avoided the elves all together after Tyrion got stomped.

Maybe my next campaign will have Chaos become an actual threat.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
high difficulty levels give ai factions a lot more money to work with, with the result that even tiny rear end factions can support 2-3 full stacks off of a single region on legendary. this generally leads to less blobbing early on and makes the ai better at fighting in general, and less likely to just poof overnight cuz they can still keep pumping dudes out.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Alith Anar always makes me re-think my anti-elf policies, what a guy

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 15, 2021

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The AI definitely feels dynamic. In my last campaign Hexoatl had 6 armies, but didn't move from their starting position for the whole game, even as Malekith and Morathi took turns stomping Tyion's face in. But who am I to question the Great Plan?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Chad Jihad posted:

Alith Anar always maked me re-think my anti-elf policies, what a guy

Crazy Nova Scotian Separatist Elves.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the AI really maximizes vampires to its fullest, as any order faction you'll fight endless waves of AI vampires. it rules. copy what the AI does.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Try a Naggarond campaign.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Have you tried throwing more skeletons at the enemy?

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2394331878&searchtext=

quote:

Enter the END GAME CRISES mod! Heavily inspired by Stellaris' multiple end game crises, this mod adds in 4 new end game crises that each have a 50% chance to trigger (can force-enable them via MCT). There is also a failsafe to make sure that you always get at least 1 crisis. I used the vanilla Chaos Invasion as a benchmark to make all of these crises, so it should feel "seamless" with vanilla. Just like with the Chaos Invasion, you will get a 'warning' event around turn 15-25, letting you know which terrible crisis (or crises) you will be getting. These crises ensure that no area of the map is immune to experiencing existential end game danger!

I did my research to make sure that these crises were as lore friendly as possible, so don't worry about your immersion breaking :).

Currently, these are the 4 main crises:

Undead Invasion (Shifting Sands province in Nehekhara, near the Bowmen of Oreon)
The Great Ascendancy (Vermintide in Lustria and Estalia)
Da Big WAAAGH! (in the Wolf Lands, near Snikch and Malus)
Norscan Invasions of Lustria and the Badlands

Additionally, there are a few "mid game" events as well:
Skaven Rising - a precursor to the Great Ascendancy
Drakwald Exodus - a forest goblin + spider migration in the Empire
Doom Tide - gives Chaos reinforcements after turn 180, if they're alive.

Difficulty: Each crisis scales based on the difficulty you choose in the MCT, otherwise it defaults to 12-15 stack spawns. (3 = Default, 4 = Hard, 5 = Very Hard, 6 = Legendary) Legendary difficulty spawns up to 30 armies!

When do the crises happen?
Between turns 120-160, depending on the crisis.

Future plans: MOAR CRISES!

I'm trying this out right now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That sounds awesome. For evil races they could have Brettonia declare an errant war, or send Volkmar on a purging mission... there are a bunch of reasons I could come up with

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They definitely need to make racial prejudice during end times scenarios more prevalent. The shield of civilization aka ordertide sucks.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Arcsquad12 posted:

They definitely need to make racial prejudice during end times scenarios more prevalent. The shield of civilization aka ordertide sucks.

That was actually how my game 'ended', after 160~ turns of Humans, Elves and Dwarves being like "Yeah you're... okay I guess, Lizardman", once Archaon showed up they all offered me military alliances and we did some Lord of the Rings poo poo and fought chaos armies together. It was pretty cool actually. And then I guess alliances count as controlling provinces, so I got the victory shortly afterwards as I squished my old nemesis Ikit'Claw as an epilogue.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

just finished my first ever Tomb Kings campaign, in Vortex. i think this was my favorite campaign so far, largely because it was so much shorter than the others i've played, and Settra barely even needs to leave the starting continent. also something very fun about sending multiple armies to die fruitlessly against an enemy and just regrow them for free over a few turns.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Lorewise, can the tomb king skellymen resurrect their skellymen brothers even after they fall in combat? You'd think they'd run out of skellymen otherwise

How do you kill a skellyman anyway? Like, if you lop its head off, is it still alive?

I have so many skeleton related questions

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Lorewise, can the tomb king skellymen resurrect their skellymen brothers even after they fall in combat? You'd think they'd run out of skellymen otherwise

There's NEVER a Skeleton shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Cardboard Fox posted:

I always play on Normal and every campaign just has the Dark Elves going super saiyan and killing everyone. My last long campaign victory was with The Empire this week and I just avoided the elves all together after Tyrion got stomped.

Maybe my next campaign will have Chaos become an actual threat.

The DElves are just amazingly resilient. In my last game (as Tyrion, on Vortex) we've completely pushed them out of Naggaroth. All they have left are about 15 settlements in southern Lustria, and they're fighting the incredible superpower Clan Mors to hold on to those. In spite of this they're still considered the strongest faction in the game, and they have six Black Arcs permanently parked off my coast doing nothing. I think the Arcs make it harder to destroy their recruitment capabilities. The fact that their basic units are so efficient doesn't hurt either.