Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Drop is announcing a new set of headphones and it's looking very likely to be the HD800S being redressed 6XX style.
If it's anything like 6XX relative to the 650, then this could end up being a very, very good deal.

Got a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

eddiewalker posted:

Got a link?
This is it. No other info.

https://drop.com/buy/our-most-requested-headphone-launching-2-18-21/talk

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
here's a hot tip: wash your silicone etymotic tips with dish soap. if you don't, eventually oil and dirt will creep into the tube and it'll unstick from the stem and you'll spend 10 minutes fishing it out of your ear with tweezers.

e: tbh 9 minutes and 50 seconds of that was looking for tweezers

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 18, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Needlenose pliers work better. Hemostat works best.

Also, anyone heard the Kbear Believe? A (supposedly) pure beryllium driver at ~$180 is intriguing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
It's the Drop Sennheiser HD8XX based on the HD800S but for $1100 instead of $1399

https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-hd-8xx-headphones/talk

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Also they hosed with the tuning.

I'd wait on reviews.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apropos of Sennheiser: looks like they’re exploring the idea of selling off their consumer audio division

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/16/22285497/sennheiser-investors-selling-consumer-headphones-soundbars-business

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
probably not a bad move. the momentum brand was p. good but trying to compete with sony / apple / bose seems like a waste of time when the pro market margins are better anyway.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Anyone else on iPhone experiencing WH-1000xm4 connection drops as of late? It just started in the last couple of days for me. Before that I’ve had no issues since getting them in August 2020.

When the headphones disconnect, it starts by pausing to whatever I’m listening to, a few seconds of silence, and then I hear a short jingle (not the voice saying “Bluetooth disconnected”). I have to turn the headphones off and back on for them to reconnect.

Starting to think there’s an issue with Bluetooth and iOS 14.4 which came out at the end of January.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've had that experience on Android more and more often recently on my own WF-1000XM3s, although it has been going on a bit longer than just a few days. I'm also fairly sure that it has to be a driver thing because it started around the time the last big update for my Galaxy S20 rolled out.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

ZeeBoi posted:

Anyone else on iPhone experiencing WH-1000xm4 connection drops as of late? It just started in the last couple of days for me. Before that I’ve had no issues since getting them in August 2020.

When the headphones disconnect, it starts by pausing to whatever I’m listening to, a few seconds of silence, and then I hear a short jingle (not the voice saying “Bluetooth disconnected”). I have to turn the headphones off and back on for them to reconnect.

Starting to think there’s an issue with Bluetooth and iOS 14.4 which came out at the end of January.

It's probably not this but my XM3s recently had the app updated to "sense" what I was doing and would play a weird chime if I sat down etc.
I never got a disconnect but maybe check out the app anyway.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

duckdealer posted:

I have a Shanling Q1.

The interface isn't that great but it meets my needs of supporting larger micro SD cards. I can't compare the sound to any other DAP but as far as I know it sounds good.

njsykora posted:

I have a M3 Pro and it's stupidly nice, also most modern DAPs you can connect to your computer and use as an external sound card which is nice. Fiio's stuff usually isn't the absolute best around, but it's always a pretty significant amount cheaper than the actual top for not being massively lesser.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

no experience with DAPs but i've never had a bad experience with bluetooth gadgets and IEMs from Fiio, they're typically good value.

Yuns posted:

I haven't used either so I'm sure we'll have more experienced voices contribute but they seem very similar and I'm sure your father in law will be happy with either but the Fiio has a 3.5mm jack but not a balanced 2.5mm jack (no normal people will care) and the Hiby has both 3.5 and 2.5mm and the Hiby claims 20 hours of battery life vs Fiio claim of 13+.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up going with the Hiby R3 Pro for one main reason - Screen size. Looking at the Fiio M6, M3 Pro and even M11 (non-pro), the Hiby was the sweet spot. My father in law's eye sight isn't terrible but its not the best so M6, M3 and Shanling Q1 were questionable. The M11 looked large enough to be a second phone which I'm pretty sure he'd hate. Its supposed to arrive Sunday so I'm looking forward to setting it up and seeing how it performs.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Pegnose Pete posted:

It's probably not this but my XM3s recently had the app updated to "sense" what I was doing and would play a weird chime if I sat down etc.
I never got a disconnect but maybe check out the app anyway.

This problem happens to me when I’m sitting and not moving at all. I also don’t use the adaptive sound control since I’m not using the headphones anywhere other than my home.

I honestly think it’s iOS. They did some Bluetooth stuff in the last update.

Edit: I’ve tried using the headphones with my MacBook and so far it’s stayed connected for over two hours. Leaning more and more towards iOS14.4 having Bluetooth issues.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 19, 2021

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Today I tried to buy headphones and made the mistake to read hundreds of reviews on all of them, bouncing from 5 stars BEST EVER to one star WORST JUNK SOUND, SUCKS I’m about ready to jump off a building.
I don’t have money for top of the line, was looking at Sony WH-XB700, Sennheiser HD 350BT or something in that price range, but there’s so many.
I have basic sennheisers now but my new phone doesn’t have mini jack anymore and the weight of the cans and cable was getting annoying anyway. I use ancient skull candy earbuds at the moment (lol) but they’re not great to keep in at work.
I feel they aggravate my tinnitus after long use and for the same reason I’m not entirely sure if noise canceling is the way to go for headphones. I never used it and for some people it does make it worse. But I’m guessing all the new headphones have the option to turn it off or reduce it to a minimal?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Folks I am in need of some advice. I seem to have lost my Skullcandy Sesh XT and my Panasonic wired earbuds broke.

Budget - Ideally less than $100, but flexible up to around $250
Source - The vast majority of the time it will be my iPhone. I have the adapter if I go with wired again. I also have an old MP3 player I still use, but I don’t mind having separate wired bids or buying a Bluetooth transmitter for it.
Isolation Requirements - I like it, but the fancier ones that let noise through with a toggle so you can hear people when you need to is nice!
Preferred Type of Headphone - In ear is best for me.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I prefer a well rounded sound. Nothing extremely bass heavy for example.
Past Headphones - Since around 2016, my go-to were the black Panasonic ErgoFit earbuds. These were the first time I bought something in ear and not only didn’t hate them but actually LOVED them. I felt the sound was excellent for the price and the fit was perfect. I’d happily buy these again. However, I recently had the Skullcandy Sesh XT wireless earbuds. I actually got these as a gift for my partner who likes the brand, one that I had always seen as disappointing, but I loved these almost as much as my Panasonic earbuds. My main gripes were that the buttons made you press the buds into your ear more (ugh) and they could only pair to one device at a time with repairing being a bit of a pain. I also had a lot of audio glitching with the right bud.
Preferred Music - My music taste is pretty eclectic, though a lot of the time I’m listening to podcasts rather than music.

One small note: I have been thinking about getting the AirPods Pro. I have the money for them now if I want, but I also get 0 apr financing on them if I want. They would also be easier to find if I lose them, which is a not infrequent problem for me. I just want to make sure I don’t miss out on a better alternative for the price.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Can someone recommend me a good over-ear gamer style bluetooth headset with mic that is between 70-99 Euros and works with Microsoft Teams meeting software for Windows PCs? It specifically has to be 99 Euros or less because it's for a relative and for expenses of 100 Euros or above the bill has to be made out to their employer, which obviously can't be done if I order it from Amazon for then.

MS Teams compatibility and over-ear format are the big sticking points, but otherwise I'm fine with anything in the correct price range.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Got a pair of Meze 99 Noir headphones and their 2.5mm balanced cable for it, and after a couple hours of use... this might be my perfect setup? It’s a great mash-up of the Grado 325i and Beyer DT770 sounds, but with more enjoyable treble. Very good bass extension and detail, punchy and very in your face but never overpowering even on badly produced tracks; warm mids that never feel recessed and make guitars sound beautiful; and slightly recessed highs but in a laid-back way. There’s nothing missing or veiled from the treble, cymbals sound great, but it seems to be an intentionally not fatiguing sound signature. My Grado’s and Beyer’s both feel like their sound is “LOOK AT THE STUFF I DO REALLY WELL” (Grado in particular with the highs) while the 99’s just want to chill out with you and your music for a couple hours. And the construction is fantastic, as durable feeling as the DT770 but with a very snazzy understated look.

My endgame might turn out to be a Hiby R2 DAP, Qudelix 5K DAC/amp and the 99 Noir’s. It’s nothing top of the line by any means, but for under $500 total it sounds better than more expensive PC-based setups I’ve had in the past.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
What's the go-to for wireless over-ear open-back headphones these days? Been using the Corsair Void Pro for years for a mix of boring work meetings and gaming, but they're crapping out on me and I'm looking for a replacement. I've had ATH and Sennheiser cans before that I really liked.

Mic not required as I'm willing to go for a separate mic + stand setup if required.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Looking for a few recommendations please.

Budget - $100 is fine. Up to $150 or so if there's a reason to do it.
Source - A bit of mixed use. Mostly music, podcasts and videos on an iphone while at the gym. Would also like to use them now and then while gaming on PC (Don't really like how bulky over the ear phones are.) This is niche, but they'll be used for playing pinball later at night when I don't want to disturb my wife.
Isolation Requirements - Nice but not required.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. I've only really used earbuds in the past. Want something in ear since I use them a lot while at the gym and prefer them being as portable as possible.
Also prefer wired. Currently have an old iphone 6s. Sure I'll upgrade at some point but will just use an adapter when the time comes.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Middle of the road balanced. I don't really listen to bass heavy music, and between podcasts, games and pinball - music may only be 1/2 to 2/3 of what I'd be listening to.
Past Headphones - I've used random earbuds in the past. Generic ones that came with phones (I hate the white apple ones.) Don't really know what I've used. Cheap $20 earbuds. I'm sure anything decent will be a massive improvement.
Preferred Music - Random indie rock type things.

Long story short - what's a decent $100-$150 wired IEM bang for your buck option that isn't specifically meant for bass heavy music?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Etymotic ER2SE, only thing in the price range that competes on sound quality is the ER2XR which is the bass-boosted version.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tony Phillips posted:

Long story short - what's a decent $100-$150 wired IEM bang for your buck option that isn't specifically meant for bass heavy music?

Etymotic ER2XR or SE are unbeatable for the price as long as you can get along with the fit, otherwise moondrop starfield might be up your alley.

e: i'd recommend the XR, the bass boost is largely a sub shelf that you won't notice unless the music calls for it.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 22, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They're a lot less expensive than 100$, but I found the MDR-XB 510 series from Sony really solid quality, especially for the price. They've got deep drivers with a good bass and are solidly constructed, with a thick and well-isolated cable that can handle getting caught on something unless you really pull with all your strength. They've got a high IPX rating and ear fins to keep in place while you're working out, so I think they would work well for you in the situation where you want to use them. In that kind of busy environment, the gain in audio quality from paying five or six times as much would probably also not be as noticeable as you want it to be, I think. Not enough that I'd say it is worth it, at least.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Thanks for the recs. Much appreciated.

I sleep with earplugs in due to being a light sleeper, so I don't think I'd have any issues with the Etymotic fit - pretty used to having things crammed in there as far as I can. Amazon makes returns so easy I suppose I'd just send them back if I did.

Off to read reviews and make a choice.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Budget - Infinite but reasonable.
Source - Phone (Oneplus 5t) and gaming computer. I'm fine with both 3.5mm or bluetooth.
Isolation Requirements - Yes. At work it's colleagues talking, and in hell on earth, (my apartment), it's the upstairs neighbours kids running around on their heels, yelling, until midnight.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size or IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced i guess, i do not know really..
Past Headphones - Currently using my old-old samsung s5 earbuds at work/outside, both for music and calls. And a Turtle Beach Z60 headset at home, never use the microphone.
Preferred Music - Metal and electronic.

I need help finding something that will help me isolate myself from the outside

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Still rockin' and appreciating BLON BL-03.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

underlig posted:

Source - Phone (Oneplus 5t) and gaming computer. I'm fine with both 3.5mm or bluetooth.
Isolation Requirements - Yes. At work it's colleagues talking, and in hell on earth, (my apartment), it's the upstairs neighbours kids running around on their heels, yelling, until midnight.
Past Headphones - Currently using my old-old samsung s5 earbuds at work/outside, both for music and calls. And a Turtle Beach Z60 headset at home, never use the microphone.

Etymotic. Any of the ER2x, ER3x or ER4x will fit your needs.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

underlig posted:

For infinite budget get CIEMs of the sound flavour of your choice. I have custom noble K10s and they isolate everything. With them in and my Quest headset the house could burn down around me and I wouldn't know until I was on fire or pass out due to smoke inhalation.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Get yourself the Empire Ears Odin, only $3400

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

underlig posted:

I'd look at getting a custom Moondrop S8, it sticks to the Harman target curve which is the scientifically most "balanced" sound signature and you'll get the most comfort and isolation out of a CIEM

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Get yourself the Empire Ears Odin, only $3400
It's weird how often "extreme high-end range and pricing" seems to equate to "80s-grade gaudy and dumb-looking" when it comes to headphones.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

It's weird how often "extreme high-end range and pricing" seems to equate to "80s-grade gaudy and dumb-looking" when it comes to headphones.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Amazon just dropped off the Etymotic ER2XR2s. Thanks again for the recs.

Initial take? WTF? This is a tinny god drat mess.

Guess who apparently has cave ears and had to switch to the bigger sized eartips to get a good seal? Goes well with my 7 3/4 hat size pumpkin head I guess.

Swapped out the tips and it's really nice. Instantly killed nearly all background noise before even hitting play. Not sure what I'd think if I wasn't used to sleeping in earplugs every night but no worries about the fit for me.

Wheeee posted:

try the dual flange tips in addition to the triples, I've always liked the triples but the duals are easier to insert and remove while sealing just as well.

Will do. Listened to some music for a bit and really like the sound, but do occasionally get a bit of an itchy inner ear which is really hard to ignore without taking out the headphone/ear plug and going nuts with the tip of my pinky.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 24, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

So it's gaudy and expensive. I still think it looks like 80s fashion jewelry of the sort you'd find on an aging hippy's garage sale.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

try the dual flange tips in addition to the triples, I've always liked the triples but the duals are easier to insert and remove while sealing just as well.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
So uh, I'll probably be picking up some Aune X1s and a Aune X7s, cause a dude is selling them for cheap and I am dumb and like stuff, so want some recommendations for what to buy for them.

Budget - Like... 750$ or less maybe
Source - PC for digital stuff mainly (through the X1s and X7s mentioned above). Also sometimes a record player connected through a lovely Onkyo receiver.
Isolation Requirements - No. I'd prefer them to be open.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - No idea to be honest. I don't know anything about this.
Past Headphones - I have some Philips Fidelio X2 now, which I find pretty good. Looking to upgrade to something in a slightly fancier pricerange, mostly to justify that dumn DAC and amp purchase.
Preferred Music - Mostly listen to electronic music, britpop, electropop, but also a bit of everything else really.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Buffis posted:

So uh, I'll probably be picking up some Aune X1s and a Aune X7s, cause a dude is selling them for cheap and I am dumb and like stuff, so want some recommendations for what to buy for them.

Focal Elex all day for that budget.

henpod posted:

Still rockin' and appreciating BLON BL-03.

yeah i'm having a BLON-03 kinda day and they're still great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

site posted:

It turns out that though it never indicated so, a second look at my PC38x order shows that it won't ship til March 1st so I think I'm gonna cancel that one and try the 770

just wanted to report that these finally showed up and they sound amazing (well, coming from 8yo iphone earphones anything would probably sound amazing, but you know what i mean) so thanks for the help everyone!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I have a 10 year old pair of Sennheiser HD280 pro's that I can't use anymore because new phone without Bluetooth, and old as gently caress dirt cheap skullcandy bluetooth earbuds.
I don't have a lot of money so I bought Mpow Noise Cancelling headphones. And, oh dear. The sound was ok for music, but when I tried listening to a podcast I immediately had to put them back in the box and figure out how o return them.
I didn't think my standard were high by any rate, but this I can't listen to.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I want to get some super bassy headphones but that are still well balanced otherwise.
I got a lead on a pair of TH-X00 Ebony, the fact that they're closed is a bonus since that's also another characteristic I don't really have in my collection.

Has anyone listened to them? I've heard the TH-900 are like, ear-bleedingly bright but have absurdly good bass which is why I'm wondering if I should opt for the TH-X00 Ebony instead since it apparently retains a decent amount of the quality of bass without the huge treble spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I want to get some super bassy headphones but that are still well balanced otherwise.
I got a lead on a pair of TH-X00 Ebony, the fact that they're closed is a bonus since that's also another characteristic I don't really have in my collection.

Has anyone listened to them? I've heard the TH-900 are like, ear-bleedingly bright but have absurdly good bass which is why I'm wondering if I should opt for the TH-X00 Ebony instead since it apparently retains a decent amount of the quality of bass without the huge treble spikes.

Check out the Denon AH-D7200 as well. I have them and they slam hard. The way the headband sits doesn't work for everyone but I loving love them. The Campfire Cascade are also really good in this regard too. I have both. The 7200 are my go to at home and the Cascade are my travel cans. Both can be found used for decent prices.