Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

On an article titled "A MeToo scandal means an average 1.5% loss ($450m) in company value" there's a single comment right now:

quote:

commandlinefan 28 minutes ago [–]

The linked article doesn't make a distinction between accusations that are found to be true or false - suggesting that bad-faith accusations are just as damaging as those found to be accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mystes posted:

On an article titled "A MeToo scandal means an average 1.5% loss ($450m) in company value" there's a single comment right now:

:laffo:

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

quote:

Melting_Harps 0 minutes ago [–]

> This smells like some really bold and really ridiculous PR attempt.
Of course it is, they just use illegal loggers in Romania to offset their actual need for the crappy disposable stuff they produce. They seem to get away with that no problem, despite EU restrictions on it.

I've never seen the appeal of IKEA when it came to furniture, the long lines at some of the bigger ones I've been to (for breakfast) are baffling and you'd think they were giving the stuff away given how long some people would wait to get in. It all looks and feels so cheap, it looks like what they use when staging a home for sale or what a cheap studio set looks like for a 1 shot scene in a movie.

IKEA had to settle so many wrongful infant deaths in the US, something that arguably could have been prevented by the parents, but it doesn't undo the fact that it comes down to a sub-standard QC/QA practices and literately no engineering in their design team. But, IKEA (now a Dutch company not Swedish despite its branding) is the China of furniture and focuses on that business model: cheap, disposable items that are profitable only at immense scale.

its me, the guy who thinks ikea is cheap garbo i would never buy, but boy do i love the food. has this giant company with one of the largest and most complex supply, production, and transport chains to ever exist thought of hiring an engineer or two??? ps something something the dutch

(hes right about the logging and the disposable aspect but lol at how wrong hn people can be even when theyre right)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
a good post??? (EDIT: this post was later flagged. :thunk:)

jancsika 23 minutes ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Statement of SEC Regarding Recent Market Volatilit...

A Moment in the Life of an HN Genius:

1. Reads a technical document outside their domain.

2. Feels dumb because they don't have a grasp on any of the concepts.

3. Too busy to use the very internet which some of them probably helped build to magically render learning materials to the screen in front of them at zero marginal cost.

4. Sees the word "manipulation"

5. Substitutes the laymen's definition of "manipulation"

6. Builds a fantasy World of Wall Street from first principles around that definition

7. Argues their fantasy first-principles Wall Street against other participants' fantasy first-principles Wall Street

8. Everyone leaves sync'd on the fantasy of feeling smarter than when they arrived.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 29, 2021

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

quote:

midasuni 2 hours ago [–]

> I decided to take his advice and am up 115K on the year.

This is what is so wrong with the system. When it fails to work for so many people (last 12 months the worst year for the average person for decades), but the wealthy are making record profits, a correction is long overdue. Whether that’s a correction with Guiletines or fascism or just a stock market crash doesn’t matter.

When you have 200m you’re sitting pretty. When 200m have nothing you’re screwed.

I’m glad you recognise it, most on HN are immensely wealthy high income champagne guzzlers first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

re: why would anyone knowingly consent to tracking

quote:

naiveai 14 minutes ago [–]

So that the ads are more personalized. I know this sounds weird, but if I'm going to get ads anyway, I'd like them to potentially be products I'm going to maybe have a use for and might make my life easier.
I get the privacy implications, but asking "why would anyone agree to this" is kind of narrow-minded.

my life was cruel toil until i was informed of wonderful products by my devices. thanks ads!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mr. i-have-nothing-to-hide will be so thankful for personalized ads as soon as he buys a car and for six months google will show him nothing but more similar cars he might want to buy

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

NihilCredo posted:

mr. i-have-nothing-to-hide will be so thankful for personalized ads as soon as he buys a car and for six months google will show him nothing but more similar cars he might want to buy

post/avi combo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
how about the color grading on those commercials eh

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

quote:

I have friction with my stepchild. He doesn't want me to be a part of his life. Sometimes, I wish that he was older and we could try MDMA therapy to build a compassionate bond... he's not even in elementary school yet; that's a great way to get your child taken away. But I wonder if one-sided interpersonal problems like this can be addressed by giving the adult MDMA and the child a placebo...

:yikes:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

:staredog:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they got a great smilie in the r/relationships thread for this one

:murder::murder::murder:

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

whoa nelly

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
SuoDuanDao 7 minutes ago [–]

On a tangentially related note, I've noticed that many heterosexual men imagine the comedian Felix Kjellberg (AKA Pewdiepie) must be the height of attractiveness for women, while few heterosexual women find him particularly attractive. I found this very confusing, but after a few discussions with heterosexual female friends of mine we've come to the conclusion that the kind of playfulness and disinhibition this persona consists of is looks like vivaciousness in a woman but immaturity in a man. I imagine some similar dynamics must be in play there

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Neon Noodle posted:

On a tangentially related note, I've noticed that many heterosexual men imagine the comedian Felix Kjellberg (AKA Pewdiepie) must be the height of attractiveness for women, while few heterosexual women find him particularly attractive. I found this very confusing, but after a few discussions with heterosexual female friends of mine we've come to the conclusion that the kind of playfulness and disinhibition this persona consists of is looks like vivaciousness in a woman but immaturity in a man. I imagine some similar dynamics must be in play there

haha what

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

one of the most genuinely puzzling posts I've seen in this thread

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

tutfbhuf 23 minutes ago [–]

The current trend goes to multi-cluster environments, because it's way too easy to destroy a single k8s cluster due to bugs, updates or human mistake. Just like it's not an very unlikely event to kill a single host in the network e.g. due to updates/maintenance.

For instance, we had several outages when upgrading the kubernetes version in our clusters. If you have many small cluster it's much easier and more save to apply cluster wide updates, one cluster at a time.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i work with a development-size openshift cluster and i genuinely have no idea how people keep these things running in production. it seriously wants to kill itself in so many obnoxious ways, and this is a 3+3 cluster with three users and no traffic

mystes
May 31, 2006

Article:
America's 1% Has Taken $50T From the Bottom 90%
(It's about income stagnation.)

Top comment
Correction: The Fed's policies have taken $50T of wealth from the Bottom 90%.

:sigh:

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

carry on then posted:

i work with a development-size openshift cluster and i genuinely have no idea how people keep these things running in production. it seriously wants to kill itself in so many obnoxious ways, and this is a 3+3 cluster with three users and no traffic

my previous employer had a team of five people dedicated to figuring k8s ops out. i was on it for a bit before i realized it's a place where you absorb all blame when things go wrong (frequently, with k8s/kernel updates, etc) and get no credit because nobody cares when it's all working.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eh, kubernetes has some baseline level of complexity but it's as complicated as you make it.

if you deploy it yourself and use helm and a bunch of operator bullshit then yeah it can be a mess.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
use eks or fargate, op

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

mystes posted:

Article:
America's 1% Has Taken $50T From the Bottom 90%
(It's about income stagnation.)

Top comment
Correction: The Fed's policies have taken $50T of wealth from the Bottom 90%.

:sigh:

boy that thread is a wasteland

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

boy that thread is a wasteland

he’s not wrong really but I think cause and effect are mixed up

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
sometimes I wonder how early 1980s DEC would develop things like k8s

hell they probably had something built atop VAXcluster for making reliable transaction processing apps

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

re: brexit

bsd44 2 days ago [–]

There is a plan and you will see the results of it as soon as in the next 10-15 years. European Union is a failed experiment and the British have realised that. It acts as a union only on paper, in reality it's a complete disaster and sooner rather than later it will collapse like Yugoslavia. The British saw through that and decided to leave the sinking ship. Good for them, I wish my country never joined the EU in the first place.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

they're right that the eu is a poo poo show but lol at the idea that it has anything to do with why the british left

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

This isn't about the comments so much but it's on the front page and it's amazing: https://paygo.media/p/25171

Imagine got for the layup shot of making GBS threads on Google and BigTech and failing so hard even HN can smell the nightmare rear end in a top hat boss coming off you.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

mrmcd posted:

This isn't about the comments so much but it's on the front page and it's amazing: https://paygo.media/p/25171

Imagine got for the layup shot of making GBS threads on Google and BigTech and failing so hard even HN can smell the nightmare rear end in a top hat boss coming off you.

this is a pro hate-click

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i tried to read it but i bogged down in bizspeak about three paragraphs in. what's the summary

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the free market is paying entitled millennials too much and giving too many benefits

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

quote:

Hiring, Firing and Promoting. The famous Netflix culture doc claims that culture is “who you hire, fire or promote”. I strongly agree with this, reality > theory. The challenge was that, as Google employees, we were subject to all of the Corporate hiring practices. It is practically impossible to fire someone for the basic reason that you don't need this role any more or there is a better person out there or just plain old - you are not doing a great job. This neuters managers and does not lead to great teams, driven by mission, pushing each other to do better. Fast paced products have different needs that change all the time. There are people who are great for a stage of the company and later, do not have the right skills as the company grows. It is not their fault, it is reality. But not being able to replace them with people that do have the right skills means that people are constantly trying to “offload” an employee on a different team rather than fire them - something that is not conducive with fast moving and changing needs. I learned the hard way that if another manager is recommending a great employee to hire, that they are probably trying to get rid of the employee since they cannot fire them.

quote:

Focus - as much as I tried to keep the team focused, being part of a Corporation means that the signal to noise ratio changes dramatically. The amount of time and effort spent on Legal, Policy, Privacy - on features that have not shipped to users yet, meant a significant waste of resources and focus. After the acquisition, we have an extremely long project that consumed many of our best engineers to align our data retention policies and tools to Google. I am not saying this is not important BUT this had zero value to our users. An ever increasing percent of our time went to non user value creation tasks and that changes the DNA of the company quickly, from customer focused to corporate guidelines focused.

quote:

Compensation - at Corp-Tech, the salaries are so high and the options so valuable that it creates many misalignments. The impact of an individual product on the Corp-Tech stock ins minimal so equity is basically free money. Regardless of your performance (individually) or your product performance, you equity grows significantly so nothing you do has real economic impact on your family. The only control you have to increase your economic returns are whether you get promoted since that drives your equity and salary payments. This breaks the traditional tech model of risk reward. Corp-Tech gives you now risk returns on equity. Since 2008, FAANG stock have only gone up so employees look at the equity is a fixed part of their salary with the only option of increasing. We tried to build an innovative compensation model but quickly ran into the challenge that employees viewed their equity as a given compensation so why sacrifice it for a risk model? These realities lead to extreme focus on promotion vs product success --Me > We > Product/Users. I feel that the risk reward model in Corp-Tech is broken due to ever rising stock prices and lack of personal impact on your returns. Perhaps Corp-Tech should move to employee share buy back where employees must sacrifice some of their salary for equity or change equity to vest by a product related metric to connect the teams performance with the employee returns.

quote:

Transparency and directness - I have always been a pretty passionate guy, especially at Waze. After the acquisition, I was invited to speak on many different Google panels and events and very quickly, I began racking up my HR complaints. I used a four letter word, my analogy was not PC, my language was not PG… I actually stopped speaking at events where the majority appreciated what I was saying but the minority that was offended by something (words and not content) made it a pain. I began watching what I said, what I discussed and began wearing a corporate persona (I was still probably one of the less PC characters at Google but this was my cleaned up act…). I value transparency and feel that people should bring themselves to work but that also means a certain tolerance of people not saying something exactly as you would like them to or believing something you don't. That tolerance is gone at Google and “words” > “content” is the new Silicon Valley mantra of political correctness. You can say terrible things as long as your pronouns are correct or can say super important things but use one wrong word and it's off to HR for you…

quote:

Work life balance. When I was growing up in Tech in the ‘90’s - there was no such thing as work life balance. We loved what we did and wanted to succeed so we worked like crazy to achieve great things. As I had kids, I learned the importance of being at home for them and that's how I understood Work Life balance - its a balance, sometimes you need to work weekends and nights, sometimes you can head out early or work from home - we balance the needs of the employee and the company. Today, in Silicon Valley, work life balance has become sacrificing Work for Life - not a balance. Young people want it all - they want to get promoted quickly, achieve economic independence, feel fulfilled at Work, be home early, not miss the Yoga class at 11:00am etc. Having trouble scheduling meetings because “it's the new Yoga instructor lesson I cannot miss” or “I’m taking a personal day” drove me crazy. The worst thing is that this was inline with the policies and norms - I was the weirdo who wanted to push things fast and expected that some level of personal sacrifice when needed. I don't believe long hours are a badge of honor but I also believe that we have to do whatever it takes to win, even if its on a weekend.

also some poo poo about entitlement

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

the free market is paying entitled millennials too much and giving too many benefits

you're not kidding :

quote:

When I was growing up in Tech in the ‘90’s - there was no such thing as work life balance. We loved what we did and wanted to succeed so we worked like crazy to achieve great things. As I had kids, I learned the importance of being at home for them and that's how I understood Work Life balance - its a balance, sometimes you need to work weekends and nights, sometimes you can head out early or work from home - we balance the needs of the employee and the company. Today, in Silicon Valley, work life balance has become sacrificing Work for Life - not a balance. Young people want it all - they want to get promoted quickly, achieve economic independence, feel fulfilled at Work, be home early, not miss the Yoga class at 11:00am etc. Having trouble scheduling meetings because “it's the new Yoga instructor lesson I cannot miss” or “I’m taking a personal day” drove me crazy. The worst thing is that this was inline with the policies and norms - I was the weirdo who wanted to push things fast and expected that some level of personal sacrifice when needed. I don't believe long hours are a badge of honor but I also believe that we have to do whatever it takes to win, even if its on a weekend.

also:

quote:

After the acquisition, I was invited to speak on many different Google panels and events and very quickly, I began racking up my HR complaints. I used a four letter word, my analogy was not PC, my language was not PG… I actually stopped speaking at events where the majority appreciated what I was saying but the minority that was offended by something (words and not content) made it a pain. I began watching what I said, what I discussed and began wearing a corporate persona (I was still probably one of the less PC characters at Google but this was my cleaned up act…). I value transparency and feel that people should bring themselves to work but that also means a certain tolerance of people not saying something exactly as you would like them to or believing something you don't. That tolerance is gone at Google and “words” > “content” is the new Silicon Valley mantra of political correctness. You can say terrible things as long as your pronouns are correct or can say super important things but use one wrong word and it's off to HR for you…

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"work-life balance is something only the weak cry out for, until it happened to me"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

We are kicking it around in a group social chat and a coworker who went off to work for Waze replied:

quote:

It’s also a bit shocking that his speaking presence in the past couple years are the cleaned up version. All hands events typically had me bracing for impact when he started speaking.

When we joined waze, there was a very awkward "cultural training" thing where they told us things like that Israelis tend to be more confrontational and people might yell at us and each other, but they aren't actually mad. I don't think Noam actually is Israeli (and honestly I have no idea if this is some cultural norm in Israel or just something they told us?), but I think he does see himself as someone who would be perfectly fine after having a screaming match at work?

It made me very nervous to join Waze, but (almost) everyone's been completely lovely and I haven't been in any shouty meetings, so I'm not quite sure what to make of the whole thing.

Starting to wonder if they literally had to have training seminars where they dish out a bunch of stereotypes about "That's just how Israeli's are" to cover for the rampaging toxic rear end in a top hat that was at the top of the org chart.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chris Knight posted:

"work-life balance is something only the weak cry out for, until it happened to me"

also "you can't have any complaints about working conditions because someone else out there has it worse off than you"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

There's the obvious stuff like "I kept getting talked to by HR because people are so sensitive..." but don't miss the hidden gems like "People kept refusing to cancel their yoga class they had already booked days ago when I wanted to have the meeting at this specific time!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mrmcd posted:

We are kicking it around in a group social chat and a coworker who went off to work for Waze replied:

Starting to wonder if they literally had to have training seminars where they dish out a bunch of stereotypes about "That's just how Israeli's are" to cover for the rampaging toxic rear end in a top hat that was at the top of the org chart.

the material is probably identical to “that’s how New Yorkers are” in that yes maybe they’ll say gently caress you instead of bless your heart but that’s not why the meeting is needed

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

the material is probably identical to “that’s how New Yorkers are” in that yes maybe they’ll say gently caress you instead of bless your heart but that’s not why the meeting is needed

Yeah pretty much. As someone who has lived in NYC for 20 years, whenever someone is making a point to go on about "we new yorkers, we're just blunt and direct. Sometimes that can get to people but that's how we communicate..." they are almost always an insufferable rear end in a top hat. (and often actually live in LI or NJ not NYC). You'll also see this pattern subbed out for pretty much every ethnic or cultural cohort, such a NJ, Italians, Wall St, or Goons. It's the classic rear end in a top hat deflection move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and if you don't have a cohort to claim you can always just say "i'm brutally/radically honest"