Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

People got mad at that guy from the article posted earlier even though he was 100% right lmao

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1361079861721239555

Mental health check: I have gotten a modicum of peace from volunteering and finding community with local activists who also care about this poo poo. Been reading a lot of philosophy too but the biggest comfort I've taken from it is that if things get too bad for me personally I can be dead within 10 minutes if I really want to which is probably...not a great thing to think about constantly!

edit: bad snipe so what who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
The guy on the corner with the sandwich board is 'right'. The question is, do you want to be right, or happy

I've tried both and I know which I prefer

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

cardiacarrest123 posted:

Is it possible that climate change will actually be the common enemy that will finally unite us as a people
oh god no lmao

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Corsec posted:

Lurker here, but I'm curious enough to ask what you think the full implications of the replication crisis are? I had thought that the replication crisis was limited to the social and medical sciences, but here you're implying that it's grounds for a broader skepticism of scientific claims.

affects primarily but not limited to. I mean, this is a fundamental question of epistemology so the effects are so far reaching at this point as to be not fully be understood. broadly speaking, none of these people should be calling themselves scientists if they’re just making poo poo up

the whole thing about ‘standing on the shoulders of giants’ kinda falls apart when even one person in that human pyramid is a charlatan. literally an unsound foundation of false knowledge to a degree that we don’t yet know how bad it is, so like climate projections we’ll just assume the most optimistic model until the wheels fall off completely

in simplest terms it leads to humanity dooming poo poo like “icebergs don’t melt”

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

People got mad at that guy from the article posted earlier even though he was 100% right lmao

Mental health check: I have gotten a modicum of peace from volunteering and finding community with local activists who also care about this poo poo. Been reading a lot of philosophy too but the biggest comfort I've taken from it is that if things get too bad for me personally I can be dead within 10 minutes if I really want to which is probably...not a great thing to think about constantly!

Ha, been reading stoicism?

On taking action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auuk1y4DRgk&t=1377s

On suicide:

Seneca posted:

“Can you no longer see a road to freedom? It's right in front of you. You need only turn over your wrists.”

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1361079881098874882

Someone buy him an account :unsmigghh:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Perry Mason Jar posted:

[...]

Someone buy him an account :unsmigghh:

Agreed.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
briard is a name that screams climate bandit so he'll have a fine future

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Braird

I’m sorry but the kid never had a chance, even on a world not destined to die boiling

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Accretionist posted:

Ha, been reading stoicism?

On taking action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auuk1y4DRgk&t=1377s

On suicide:

I don't know if you're mocking me or not (And hell, I'm not blaming you if you are!) but yeah I've actually been particularly focusing on stoicism.

The clip you posted is pretty much where I'm at mentally. I think ignoring this poo poo is impossible -- "literally the destruction of the planet" is not something you have a sixer of beer one night and get over-- No putting that toothpaste back in the tube. I'm doing what I can for myself and my family and using a lot of my spare time working with like-minded locals on community action.

Do I still hyperventilate over this poo poo regularly? Of course, but it's either this or idle doomscrolling 24/7 so thems the brakes.

One day I will escape to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism. SPACE! DEATH!

https://youtu.be/g1Sq1Nr58hM

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Braird

I’m sorry but the kid never had a chance, even on a world not destined to die boiling

not dedicated enough to not have kids himself, but definitely dedicated enough to make sure his kid never has a kid

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Accretionist posted:

On suicide:
“Can you no longer see a road to freedom? It's right in front of you. You need only turn over your wrists.”

a beautiful phrasing of:
kill yourself lmao

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

we are so loving dumb

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

can't these scientists find out that when icebergs melt they just give out chill vibes and play smooth jazz

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"literally the destruction of the planet"

Wait what

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don't know if you're mocking me or not (And hell, I'm not blaming you if you are!) but yeah I've actually been particularly focusing on stoicism.

The clip you posted is pretty much where I'm at mentally. I think ignoring this poo poo is impossible -- "literally the destruction of the planet" is not something you have a sixer of beer one night and get over-- No putting that toothpaste back in the tube. I'm doing what I can for myself and my family and using a lot of my spare time working with like-minded locals on community action.
Yea Stoicism is good and I was definitely in a better place mentally when I was actively reading about it and at least trying to live by it in some small way each day

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nice meltdown

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The worst thing about Rush Limbaugh dying is he got to go out at the peak of humanity before things get too bad so he couldn't be put on trial for his decades of ignorant climate change denial that directly influenced entire generations of people. Tens of millions of them listened to him lie, fabricate evidence and outright make poo poo up to deny climate change day in and day out.

Unfortunately he wouldn't have lasted the 20-30 years it would take to do that anyway. A lot of boomers are going to go out on their own terms surrounded by their wealth with a record stock market ignorant of the misery coming the way of billions but few people can measure up to Rush in terms of disastrously evil impacts on society.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The planet is and will continue to be fine.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
And nobody but him will use the outdoor toilet he built to shrink his carbon footprint.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we're not destroying the planet, we're destroying the biosphere. get it right

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

wow even with my crack pinging and diligence i still gently caress it up

anyway I'm drinking a miller lite, at the present time.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, it's always better to say we are destroying our environment or the biosphere, otherwise you open yourself up to that insufferable "Um Actually the overall physical mass of the earth will still be orbiting the sun no matter what we do :smug:" bullshit

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rectal Death Adept posted:

yeah, it's always better to say we are destroying our environment or the biosphere, otherwise you open yourself up to that insufferable "Um Actually the overall physical mass of the earth will still be orbiting the sun no matter what we do :smug:" bullshit

We're not even destroying the biosphere, we're algaeforming it. It will the perfect living environment to various types of moss and slime.

What we're destroying is our food source.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
save it for the semantics dome E.B. White

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bedpan posted:

I'm thinking about all those economics papers looking at the potential impact of climate change but only ever considering climate change to mean a bit of difference in the weather.

Thinking about the study that said climate change will result in an 80% reduction in agricultural output, and a 0% reduction in indoor economic activity

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos
:stare:

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeed/status/1362116223903924225?s=20

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
I gotta say, we never expected the ice

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

why don't they just shoot the cold

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol more on the way

https://twitter.com/NWS/status/1361854624081321992

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Water is out in much of Austin. Will this impact the extremely hot real estate market? Yes, it will make number go up

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

hope u like mold!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

hope u like mold!

i do not

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

gay_crimes posted:

Water is out in much of Austin. Will this impact the extremely hot real estate market? Yes, it will make number go up

don't know poo poo about property in Texas but if it's anything like here there's probably a bunch of property investors and developers rubbing their hands at the thought of swooping in and buying up lots people can no longer afford

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

VectorSigma posted:

hope u like mold!

Gonna be real fun when it shoots up to 70 this weekend

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Texas going the ways of Frostpunk and going to enact laws for child labor to keep the oil flowing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Just checking in to say:

LOL.

LMAO.

And "Suck that crow dooooown, lovely mods".

:bisonyes:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Looool so are the repair contracts rolling in yet Rime? You gon make some :10bux::10bux::10bux:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Stoicism is reactionary as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Lmao the Rio Grande Valley has a large subset of its population who think that a few days of cold was going to completely shut the region off for fuel delivery and that this would cause gas stations to run out of fuel. They all then made a run on the gas stations at the same time and now there is no fuel at a lot of gas stations