Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Cythereal posted:

But then you couldn't write lovingly detailed descriptions of giant warehouses full of pregnant human women with their limbs chopped off and their eyes and tongues cut out! Or the power of the Waagh mutating humans into giant, non-sentient sacks of meat that act like cattle!

Wtf is wrong with games workshop jfc

E; they're supposed to be 8 foot toddlers with guns that provide comic relief, this really should not be so hard

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fuligin posted:

E; they're supposed to be 8 foot toddlers with guns that provide comic relief, this really should not be so hard

They have a new writer focusing on Orks and he is good.

The best description of the Beast novels is from TTS and it omits most of the poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1u2c_9hhMQ

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best description of the Beast novels is from TTS and it omits most of the poo poo.

TTS is the superior 40k canon anyway.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Man it was much worse than I remembered, I was thinking of the chaos marines in one book turning women into giant wombs to churn out fully grown space marines

It is hosed that theyr so picky about what books they publish and that's what gets okayed

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fuligin posted:

I mean, they tried to make Grimgor chumping Archaon non-canon because... idk why, when it's about the most in-character not to mention hilarious thing I can think of

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mike Brooks is a good lad, been wanting to give that book a try. Rites of Passage was a cool little book about the political manoeuvring in the Navigator houses.

While utter garbage like Beast Awakens does exist it's honestly been a good time for Ham books in general. The current crop of regulars are pretty rad.

Aaron Dembski-Bowden is probably the best talent they have on staff right now. His Night Lords and Black Legion books are great, but Spears of the Emperor was fantastic. Really puts the work in deconstructing Space Marines and just how horrifying they are, while managing to humanise them the way he does with the Chaos books.

Josh Reynald's Fabius Bile books are similarly great, really having fun with just how weird and grim the setting can get while keeping a grounded emotional core. Noise Marines are just the chillest bros. Haven't read what he's done for the Warhammer Horror imprint, but excited to considering his background is in horror.

Nate Crowley's only done short stories for now, but one in particular called Severed is exceptional. Exploring the relationship between the delusional Necron Lord Zahndrekh and his unfailingly loyal bodyguard.

TTS sucks rear end though, and even though I don't work in a games store any more, I'd happily deafen myself than hear another nerd warble out entire episodes unprompted.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Zephro posted:

40k has been going downhill ever since Space Marines stopped canonically drinking beer through their beakie helmets tbh

edit: on the topic of Chaos and Warhams history more generally, might be fun to read Michael Moorcock's Elric books, since GW have acknowledged that this is where they got the whole idea from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melnibon%C3%A9

the 8 pointed chaos star is also a moorcock invention. i met him a while back and hes a very nice guy. incredibly underrated for how much he's been ripped off over the years. elric is like THE fantasy antihero

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SteelMentor posted:

TTS sucks rear end though, and even though I don't work in a games store any more, I'd happily deafen myself than hear another nerd warble out entire episodes unprompted.

It was started at a time when Black Library was mired in Horus Heresy books, the tabletop was stagnant and the only thing worthwhile about 40K was Relic's video games. It's no surprise it became popular.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I thought the implication of the Tau was always that they weren't Grimdark yet. Their relatively benign nature was due to their youth, and if they kept expanding they would be corrupted like every other race in WH40k.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

I thought the implication of the Tau was always that they weren't Grimdark yet. Their relatively benign nature was due to their youth, and if they kept expanding they would be corrupted like every other race in WH40k.

yeah the thing with them now is that they're looking on the horrors of the galaxy for the first time and becoming increasingly cynical in the face of them as opposed to being secretly evil or whatever

which is the correct way to make the Tau grimdark, because their whole premise is that they are a relatively 'normal' sci-fi faction that has been dropped into a very VERY not normal sci-fi universe and their reaction to that is where the grimdark comes in

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mantis42 posted:

It was their naivety, like they really didn't/don't understand how the warp works and so they try to science their way out of it which works well

to a point.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was started at a time when Black Library was mired in Horus Heresy books, the tabletop was stagnant and the only thing worthwhile about 40K was Relic's video games. It's no surprise it became popular.

It sucks, it sucks hard. It's fanfiction with a desperate need of an editor to tone down the WORDS WORDS WORDS.

Mantis42 posted:

We've gotten that as of 8th ed 40k with the xenophobic 4th Sphere survivors and the Ethereals really slapping the fascism button with their dicks, although it's counterpointed by Shadowsun's growing personal resistance against their bullshit and Farsight becoming a folk-hero amongst the Fire Caste.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 18, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I started my first co-op campaign with my brother, who'd never played any of the Warhammer games before but has a ton of hours in the historical Total War titles, and it was pretty fun. He played Tyrion, and I ended up going with Alarielle just because I figured using someone he wouldn't be able to confederate anyway (since he doesn't own DLC) would make sense. I thought we'd probably link up through Caledor and Tiranoc, but Saphery was dumb enough to declare war on him while he was allied with both me and Yvresse, so next time we play the first thing we're doing is combining our forces for the first time to take Shrine of Asuryan. I'd never played as Alarielle before, and doing four siege battles in quick succession (Phoenix Gate, Tor Anlec, Shrine of Khaine and White Tower of Hoeth) was kind of a lot, but fortunately my brother was pretty patient about it.

I doubt we'll end up playing a full campaign, as much because I don't think the Vortex is suited for it as anything (I don't particularly like it even as a singleplayer campaign tbh, which is why I really like the recent lord packs moving away from it), but so far we're having fun and intend to keep it going for now.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Psychic Awakening sees a massive boom in mutation and madness among all humans, including those subject to the Tau Empire. The Ethereals have taken notice of this, and their attitude towards their auxiliaries and especially humans is definitely grimdarkening as a result.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

How does Tiktaqto play? I've seen so little discussion about him that I thought that he was a freebie hero or something instead of a lord.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

How does Tiktaqto play? I've seen so little discussion about him that I thought that he was a freebie hero or something instead of a lord.

Basically flying dino spam.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I read the synopsis of War of The Beast and apparently the imperium gets its poo poo kicked in but uses sisters of silence to hex a captured ork psyker so all orks just sort of start losing due to some "reversed waaagh feedback effect"? Then The Beasts head explodes for the same reason

So I gather from this that in order to defeat any ork force ever, they just need the sisters of silence and a captured ork psyker? Seems a lil overpowered...

I did like all the descriptions of Ork tech being insane and superior and them building a mech so huge the imperium didn't even have classifications for it :allears:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
seven parts stupid, three parts good. such is the state of Warhammer fiction.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the 8 pointed chaos star is also a moorcock invention. i met him a while back and hes a very nice guy. incredibly underrated for how much he's been ripped off over the years. elric is like THE fantasy antihero

Very much. The books are also relatively engaging, though I like his non-Elric books more. It's just a bit funny that so much of Warhammer Chaos was inspired by his works, yet lacks the equal and opposite Order counterpart that made Chaos work in the Moorcock books.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh man I can't wait to reenact the Grimgor beat down

GRIMGOR IZ DA BEST

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ibblebibble posted:

fly over enemy and drop rock

it's a lot more fun than it sounds

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
With all the DLC's the greenskins are really really fun in TW2

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Naming a dude after noughts and crosses has to be the nadir of GW's fantasy names.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vagabong posted:

Naming a dude after noughts and crosses has to be the nadir of GW's fantasy names.

Witch Hunter Obiwan Sherlock Clouseau would like a word with that.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The vibe I get from the books is like if Fallout New Vegas was a franchise and The Frontier was a licensed product.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

SteelMentor posted:

It sucks, it sucks hard. It's fanfiction with a desperate need of an editor to tone down the WORDS WORDS WORDS.

no fun allowed

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Vagabong posted:

BLOODSECRATOR

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Play Ride of the Valkyries during every battle.

Zephro posted:

BLOODSECRATOR

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 18, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I also think TTS kinda sucks, it's never gotten a smile out of me and I'm a huge nerd

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

Each to their own and whilst I like TTS, having hung out for a while with people who do this yeah it's definitely grating.

I believe it's called the "Monty Python Effect" :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vagabong posted:

Orks are such a joke faction that the idea of them actively inflicting cruelty and violence on non-combatants feels bizarre.

They’re not malicious. They just don’t care for or consider non-orc lives at all. They won’t deliberately torture anyone but a humie-tossing contest? Sure. What happens when you land is beyond the scope of their world, it’s just hilarious that you can toss their soft flabby pink bodies around.

It’s like how a toddler might wish no harm on their cat but think it’s hilarious to pull its tail or drop it from higher and higher objects to see it try to land.

Now, they might protect certain lives, for a good scrap, or because that gobbo is their pet, or so on.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What the hell is TTS

Google just tells me it's Text To Speech

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Ooooh, it's that dorky youtube thing right,

I just got it

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They’re not malicious. They just don’t care for or consider non-orc lives at all. They won’t deliberately torture anyone but a humie-tossing contest? Sure. What happens when you land is beyond the scope of their world, it’s just hilarious that you can toss their soft flabby pink bodies around.

It’s like how a toddler might wish no harm on their cat but think it’s hilarious to pull its tail or drop it from higher and higher objects to see it try to land.

Now, they might protect certain lives, for a good scrap, or because that gobbo is their pet, or so on.

Any time an ork talks about the other races it's to sneer at their weakness and gloat over how much fun killing them is. They're funny yes, but the idea that they're not malicious is an invention of the fandom. They've been consistently characterised as slavers who work to death or eat any human who falls into their hands right through the franchise's history.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone else having trouble with wood health being stuck for Wood Elves? It worked fine in the Vortex campaign but in ME it won't budge

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Playing as Tyrion for the first time, the influence system is cool as hell. I just kept spamming to decrease the attitude from Morathi to Malekith and they never confederated.

Also, I'm reading on the Wiki that Morathi is actually Malekith's mom??? I thought she was his girlfriend. Yikes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Also, I'm reading on the Wiki that Morathi is actually Malekith's mom??? I thought she was his girlfriend. Yikes.

Both of these are true. Malus Darkblade's parents were brother and sister.

Dark elves are hosed up. Kill them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cythereal posted:

Both of these are true. Malus Darkblade's parents were brother and sister.

Dark elves are hosed up. Kill them.

When you're immortal and it's five thousand miles to the next settlement you could be forgiven for loving your family members.

Or you could throw your sister into despair and she falls off a cliff and then you impale yourself on an evil talking sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

When you're immortal and it's five thousand miles to the next settlement you could be forgiven for loving your family members.

Or you could throw your sister into despair and she falls off a cliff and then you impale yourself on an evil talking sword.

Tryna figure out if this happens in Warhammer or Children of Húrin