Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

yeah at least a wildfire doesn't leave you with tonnes and tonnes of moldering particle board, fungus-covered lumber, rotting carpet, ruined furniture etc. etc.

texas is gonna look like the mushroom zones in the last of us lmao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

at least someone in texas has snow tires

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

fosborb posted:

at least someone in texas has snow tires

i laughed

thank you

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol can’t even use the bike instead

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

gay_crimes posted:

Highways are super hosed. I've known "car bad" for a while, suburban sprawl is devastating the biosphere, but the local pollution impact I understood was vague and unclear. I started digging in more and recently learned how about terrible ultrafine particles are, and how you're breathing that poo poo any time you're driving or within 300m of a highway. And if you're in an area with nocturnal surface inversions, like LA or Salt Lake City, you're getting extra hosed, because the extent of the pollution plume greatly extends extends at night and can't disperse normally, resulting in plumes extending up to 3000m if you happen to be down wind of the highway or major road. You breathe that in all night, and it easily gets indoors, and most filtering systems won't capture it.

Also, do not live near airports, especially if you're within 5-10 miles downwind of the airport depending on the prevailing winds of your area.

Don't jog in the nice, brisk morning.

Always recirculate air in your car when you drive, the air you breathe is pure poison on the highway but recirculating cuts it down to 20%, which is still terrible but not as bad. Major roads have these problems as well, depending on the car throughput per day, if you live near an intersection, on a hill, anything that would cause cars to accelerate or brake harder.

Truly awful stuff, and it's invisible! Makes me reflect on extended periods of time I've lived close to highways and major roads and would get headaches and regularly had irritated sinuses and breathing issues that resolved after moving. Or my grandparent who lived within 500ft of a highway and a mile downwind from the airport who died young from cancer. Or a person I know with asthma who grew up near a busy road and close to an oil refinery. Dated someone who had a sibling with autism and multiple different types of psychoses, their childhood home was within 1000ft of a highway and downwind from an airforce base. Fuckin everyone near or inside cities is getting poisoned with this poo poo and it slowly cooks you over time. You could go move out into the wilderness or a sparsely populated area, but global warming will still get you there, and you're more likely to die from something stupid and random like appendicitis because you're far away from services. A lot of people here probably know this stuff already, but I don't think it's common knowledge.

gently caress cars

I like how people go "Tesla will save us" because they don't understand what road surfaces are.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

This still sums up my feelings on climate change:

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

I like how people go "Tesla will save us" because they don't understand what road surfaces are.

Tire wear is a huge source of ultrafine particulate matter, and one of the biggest sources of microplastic pollution. Let's not forget the rare metals extraction, brake dust, on and on. I love to poo poo on Tesla whenever I get the chance

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Trabisnikof posted:

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success.

:golfclap:

Half a decade of trying with increasing futility to put my rage into words, and they were written a century ago.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lmao

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ten years ago Chevron/Texaco had to pay $9.5 billion to the five indigenous tribes in Ecuador they deliberately poisoned. Surely after this feather touch on the wrist the oil industry working in the rain forest got bett-- hahaha here's what's happening today from an indigenous reply to statements made by Petroecuador.

quote:

We refute the response from Petroecuador EP in which the Ecuadorian company declared its alleged compliance with all international health, safety, and environmental standards. This shows that Petroecuador is operating with outdated information and a lack of knowledge regarding the protection of the rights of Indigenous peoples and current climate commitments, and is actively preventing the country from complying with them. Petroecuador’s press release presents an industry free of conflict and violations of human rights and rights of nature by ignoring the current state of pollution caused by oil spills. There is no accountability or proper remediation, there is a lack of consultation and consent of Indigenous peoples and nationalities and the forced concession of oil blocks in Indigenous territories, among other issues.

The lived reality of communities in the Ecuadorian Amazon differs from these statements. The open-pit burning of oil waste and spills made possible by the lack of adequate prevention measures contradict Petroecuador’s claims. In the last year, there have been two major oil spills in the northern Ecuadorian Amazon: on April 7 along the Coca and Napo rivers, and on November 27, in the Shiripuno. Both have directly affected the lives of over 120,000 people (Indigenous and non-Indigenous), who depend directly on rivers to live and on the rainforest with which they coexist. The spills also affect isolated Indigenous peoples, whose lives are threatened by pollution, without protection by the government. The first spill occurred precisely because of the negligence of Petroecuador and the OCP consortium.

In 50 years of oil exploitation in Ecuador, no government has developed a consultation and consent processes for oil extraction or any other extractive industry (mining, agribusiness, etc.) to fulfill international standards. This is why, in 2012, the Inter-American Court of Human Rights declared the Ecuadorian government responsible for non-compliance of prior consultation. Despite this, the government has tendered oil blocks without consultation for the past eight years. In 2019, Waorani communities won a historic case against the government that demonstrated Ecuador’s systematic violation of prior consultation and consent, self-determination, and self-government.

Anyway I'm sure those dastardly execs will learn a lesson this time! [sitcom laugh track]

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Complications posted:

Ten years ago Chevron/Texaco had to pay $9.5 billion to the five indigenous tribes in Ecuador they deliberately poisoned. Surely after this feather touch on the wrist the oil industry working in the rain forest got bett-- hahaha here's what's happening today from an indigenous reply to statements made by Petroecuador.

Anyway I'm sure those dastardly execs will learn a lesson this time! [sitcom laugh track]

Who knew the future was going to be the Continuum tv show timeline.

quote:

City Protective Services (CPS) law enforcement officer Kiera Cameron lives with her husband and son in 2077-era Vancouver under the corporatocratic and oligarchic dystopia of the North American Union and its Corporate Congress, a technologically advanced high-surveillance police state

In 30 or so years Congress will be CEOs from the Fortune 500 after global companies buy a bankrupt America outright. President will go to the richest person and the election will be decided by accumulating money.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Who knew the future was going to be the Continuum tv show timeline.

In 30 or so years Congress will be CEOs from the Fortune 500 after global companies buy a bankrupt America outright. President will go to the richest person and the election will be decided by accumulating money.

That honestly sounds marginally better than what we have now.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1362608390699053059?s=21

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I enjoy long walks on the mud flats.
https://twitter.com/NewshubNZ/status/1361468594584838146

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
our corporate overlords will be kings of the square mile of remaining land

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Trabisnikof posted:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Homeless Friend posted:

do we have any initial estimates of how much damage having water pipes burst all over texas and then subsequently having 90f weather to supercharge mold growth will result in?
The burst pipes alone seems like a huge loving problem, given the sheer scale of it. On the material side of things, it's gonna soak up a ton of production capacity, pushing the price up massively and possibly necessitating rationing (meaning poorer neighborhoods simply won't get basic stuff fixed). Add labor shortages on top of that, as suddenly 20-50 years of replacement (depending on what burst) have to be done in a couple of months. Depending on how Texan AC is designed, I wonder if some of it might not have been damaged too, leaving a bunch of Texans without water and AC when summer hits. Actually, maybe the water destroyed electrical circuits too, and it's just not apparent due to the blackouts? That'd gently caress the AC for sure, and fixing it might run into the same supply issues as for pipes. Which leaves another way for AC to be down when summer hits, plus the potential for electrical fires. At least the fires will dry out the mold though.

Aside from all that, there's also the possibility of freezing water having cracked apart the loadbearing structures of large numbers of buildings, making them unsalvageable even without the mold issue. Definitely more vulnerable to the aforementioned electrical fires. Which can't be fought because there's no water.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Texas is ruined, holy poo poo

get ready for Waterworld to become reality followed immediately by Iceworld, then Moldworld a week later

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
from the standpoint of insurance alone: :sbahj:

this also adds a new public health crisis on top of an existing one. all in all nothing short of a catastrophe, and a mere taste of what is to come- anything that isn’t winterized this go-round is going to have the same thing happen again. to speed up repairs I’m sure this step will be skipped completely

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Would have lost a bet on Texas being the next state after FL to end up hosed by the climate death

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Trabisnikof posted:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Chris James 2 posted:

Would have lost a bet on Texas being the next state after FL to end up hosed by the climate death

texas/arizona/louisiana/florida are in a sweet 4-way race that almost none of their inhabitants will comprehend even as they’re forced into refugee camps

2030 twitter is gonna be a flood of “2031 is when things start to get better”

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
need a pic of texas slumped over the ropes (power lines) vs the polar vortex as mario shouts TKO

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

stellers bae posted:

there's nothing wrong with 'fetishizing' nature

nature as a master signifier is the kernel of all fascisms. anytime a product has the word 'natural' on it, it's lying. anytime a lib says 'human nature' they're lying. nature is a hoax, a scam, a freakshow of shambling monstrosities, a planetary cancer, a cheap offbrand yahweh clone for hippies without the cojones to make a real leap of faith. nature is dead, amd we have killed her. must we not become nature to be worthy of this deed?

theres no such thing as nature. never has been, never will be. poo poo's a toxic memetic virus that rots your brain inside out. deconstruct that poo poo and be scientific in your future conceptualizations.

emTme3 has issued a correction as of 08:55 on Feb 19, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you know what's natural? dinos dying and becoming plastics, that's what!!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

splifyphus posted:

nature as a master signifier is the kernel of all fascisms. anytime a product has the word 'natural' on it, it's lying. anytime a lib says 'human nature' they're lying. nature is a hoax, a scam, a freakshow of shambling monstrosities, a planetary cancer, a cheap offbrand yahweh clone for hippies without the cojones to make a real leap of faith. nature is dead, amd we have killed her. must we not become nature to be worthy of this deed?

theres no such thing as nature. never has been, never will be. poo poo's a toxic memetic virus that rots your brain inside out. deconstruct that poo poo and be scientific in your future conceptualizations.

ive got bad news about deconstruction and science

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
While all this is going on in Texas etc it's also happening in the Middle East with a snowstorm hitting Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon, and a few other places.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
how beautiful

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

gay_crimes posted:

Truly awful stuff, and it's invisible! Makes me reflect on extended periods of time I've lived close to highways and major roads and would get headaches and regularly had irritated sinuses and breathing issues that resolved after moving.

Holy gently caress. I've been living *measures on google maps* 75(!!!) loving meters from a highway for the last 5 years, and I've been dealing with seemingly random sinus issues. It took me a while to actually notice that it wasn't just a one-off event but something that actually keeps occuring over and over. It just now clicked that I have no memory of this happening _before_ I moved here. At my current workplace it's a whole thing that I'm the guy that feels sick on-and-off.

What the gently caress. My partner and I have been wanting to move away from here for the last couple years, mainly due to the awful noise and the total lack of sunlight (all our windows are north-east facing...). This realization only makes it even more urgent.

Whaaaat is this what cracking feels like

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

from the standpoint of insurance alone: :sbahj:

this also adds a new public health crisis on top of an existing one. all in all nothing short of a catastrophe, and a mere taste of what is to come- anything that isn’t winterized this go-round is going to have the same thing happen again. to speed up repairs I’m sure this step will be skipped completely

here is an internal memo from a buddy that works at statefarm, lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Remember "First World nations won't be impacted by climate change for decades"?

lol
lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
not won't, just less
unfortunately for texans it's, and i quote, a shithole :sad:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tbh unless you insist to sticking to the cold war terminology and not generic "developed nation", it would be hard to count US as one based on infrastructure alone

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm just quoting. The idea was that the "Global South" will be heavily impacted by climate change Soon (this was, ten years ago?) and developed and/or Western nations some long time thereafter. Lol

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm just quoting. The idea was that the "Global South" will be heavily impacted by climate change Soon (this was, ten years ago?) and developed and/or Western nations some long time thereafter. Lol

I'm shocked, just shocked I tell you, that those predictions were full of poo poo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Oh yeah that owns. The real cherry on top will be US writing off whatever affected states just like Puerto Rico lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Pigmassacre posted:

Holy gently caress. I've been living *measures on google maps* 75(!!!) loving meters from a highway for the last 5 years, and I've been dealing with seemingly random sinus issues. It took me a while to actually notice that it wasn't just a one-off event but something that actually keeps occuring over and over. It just now clicked that I have no memory of this happening _before_ I moved here. At my current workplace it's a whole thing that I'm the guy that feels sick on-and-off.

What the gently caress. My partner and I have been wanting to move away from here for the last couple years, mainly due to the awful noise and the total lack of sunlight (all our windows are north-east facing...). This realization only makes it even more urgent.

Whaaaat is this what cracking feels like

drat just wait for the ping lol