Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I am a Khornate Sorcerer. My favorite spell is 'Axe To The Face'. It costs 0 Winds to use. Buckle up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Collapsing Farts posted:

However, using magical weapons and armor is totally OK

It's totally not magic, guys

It's okay, you probably beat up the nerd who made them to get them so it's cool.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Night10194 posted:

It's okay, you probably beat up the nerd who made them to get them so it's cool.

Pretty much, and most khornate magic items are "Its just really loving sharp/hard/tough"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s not like he gives you any of the fancy poo poo before you prove you’re bad enough to do without it

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well poo poo, confederating Marienburg with Mixu's LLs causes bugs with the unique ship stance and he can't shift in/out of Encamp to upgrade his ship or to recruit new units. drat.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

However, using magical weapons and armor is totally OK

It's totally not magic, guys

The true dumb thing about Khorne is that he opposes magic, because its cowardly and indirect way to kill someone, but not only does not mind various (demonic and obviously magical) chaos war machines, he is arguably the god that focuses on using them the most. Casting fireball at someone on the other side of battlefield- cowardly and shameful. Binding demon into an extremely phallic canon that shoots fireballs at someone on the other side of battlefield - totally ok and Khorne approved.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, that's still something directly killing the enemy rather than using magic - daemon engines are fully sentient after all. Hell, while it's not represented in TW:W, Hellcannons literally tried to charge enemies that got too close to them in tabletop... and absolutely had the stats to murder light cavalry squads of the type usually used to kill artillery. The problem being that if their crew died, they then attempted to charge anything, friend or foe, that got close to them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If you're talking about a Hellcannon, im pretty sure those fireballs are the tormented souls of the poor bastards fed into the thing before firing. I can see Khorne being on board with a weapon that needs kills to kill

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PerilPastry posted:

It loving ruled, and it's an absolute travesty they changed it
https://youtu.be/zB6FaGBz0Lo?t=133

His voice is the same in the Cinematic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwjC98aJJ7g&t=153s

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kyras stopped using psychic powers and sorcery once he devoted himself to Khorne. (Beyond some telepathy)

Khorne also seems to dislike sorcery cause he views it as a shortcut.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 18, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Owning the chaos gods with logic :smug:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Also, Khorne does kind of disdain range in general as well - those chariot cannons (or whatever) posted are all Endtimes/AoS stuff. Previously, the Khorne list was basically melee, melee, and more melee (Bloodletters, Hounds, Juggernauts, Bloodcrushers, etc.). He doesn't have the same hatred for killing from range that he does for magic, which is why you do see daemon engines of khorne (though most of the older ones again are either melee or melee-adjacent - flamethrower equivalents and such), but Khorne definitely prefers his champions stabbing people directly.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
About high elves and gender: the stuff like princesses, ect was all added for total war. In the tabletop? Massively patriarchal, to the extent where they list "letting women fight" as one of the dark elves horrible transgressions. Only avelorn was better than that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Khorne warmachines are not a great example to use since it's basically just big metal demons smushing things which is peak khorne.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The dumb dick cannon is from 8th, and yes, it does suck rear end. The alt build where it’s just bloodletters on a sick chopper should have been the only build

The hellcannon is undivided, not Khorne

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord Koth posted:

Also, Khorne does kind of disdain range in general as well - those chariot cannons (or whatever) posted are all Endtimes/AoS stuff.

No they are not. They came in 8th edition.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
On a related note, I'm glad that the WH3 trailer made Bloodletters look cool. I always thought their design was embarrassingly generic and plain compared to the other three gods' standard infantry.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

On a related note, I'm glad that the WH3 trailer made Bloodletters look cool. I always thought their design was embarrassingly generic and plain compared to the other three gods' standard infantry.

The old models depicted them with severe back problems

Also:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Vermicious Knids were Khornates.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The dumb dick cannon is from 8th, and yes, it does suck rear end. The alt build where it’s just bloodletters on a sick chopper should have been the only build

The hellcannon is undivided, not Khorne

Technically it's not even undivided: the hellcannon's made and crewed by chaos dwarfs, who are mercenaries.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

We need a Khorne bard. All they do the play the Rocky theme on repeat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HoboTech posted:

I am a Khornate Sorcerer. My favorite spell is 'Axe To The Face'. It costs 0 Winds to use. Buckle up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Floppychop posted:

We need a Khorne bard. All they do the play the Rocky theme on repeat.

Slayer would seem more appropriate

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Reminded myself that Bloodletters started inexplicably looking like this during the early/mid 2000's.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the anti magic thing seems very Conan inspired

which kind of also seems based on the idea that ranged weapons are for losers which is somewhat anachronistic. like iirc the greeks thought ranged stuff was for losers but on the other end of the spectrum you had the samurai who were all expected to be mounted archers and who took up using guns without much issue

e: also the germanics that Conan is somewhat based on had no issue with magic

e2: honestly even in a setting as derivative as warhammer, the khorne disdain for magic feels the most "fantasy trope" sort of setting element, in that it seems entirely derived from fantasy stereotypes / conventions rather than being an exaggeration or abstraction of reality

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 19, 2021

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Tiler Kiwi posted:

which kind of also seems based on the idea that ranged weapons are for losers which is somewhat anachronistic. like iirc the greeks thought ranged stuff was for losers but on the other end of the spectrum you had the samurai who were all expected to be mounted archers and who took up using guns without much issue

e2: honestly even in a setting as derivative as warhammer, the khorne disdain for magic feels the most "fantasy trope" sort of setting element, in that it seems entirely derived from fantasy stereotypes / conventions rather than being an exaggeration or abstraction of reality

it's a bit the conan thing, and also a magic VS technology and industrialised warfare angle. they stopped giving Khorne's champs cyborg bits and sci-fi pistols in fantasy way back but there's a reason why there's been more kinds of Khorne daemon engine than for the other gods

kind of weird GW has never brought the brass scorpions over to fantasy IMO, seems like it'd be an easy fit with the juggernauts

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The Death Dealer is making me think "Ah Spongebob me boy, I've sided with the Daemonic God Khrone arg arg arg arg arg arg!"

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

The Death Dealer is making me think "Ah Spongebob me boy, I've sided with the Daemonic God Khrone arg arg arg arg arg arg!"
stabby patties

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Samurai archery in particular is a big hallmark of the Heian period and I hope that if we ever get Nippon, it is not Sengoku. Sengoku is cool and all but it's been done to death and an army of samurai archers would be an interesting break from that.

One of my favorite bits from the Tales of the Heike is when the armies are taking a break and to show off they just have a big dick archery contest where their boats move further back until only one guy can hit the target.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Eimi posted:

Samurai archery in particular is a big hallmark of the Heian period and I hope that if we ever get Nippon, it is not Sengoku. Sengoku is cool and all but it's been done to death and an army of samurai archers would be an interesting break from that.

One of my favorite bits from the Tales of the Heike is when the armies are taking a break and to show off they just have a big dick archery contest where their boats move further back until only one guy can hit the target.

Considering we've had Shogun 2 which was the sengoku jidai and the two DLCs were the genpei war (late heian) and the boshin war (Meiji restoration/birth of Imperial Japan) they will definitely have us covered. I'd expect any Nippon faction to be v cool.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Holy hell Ordertide is REAL

I'm playing my first Tomb Kings game (got it during the lunar sale) and I spend all game getting ready for the Chaos invasions - I'm going to ally with order again like my Lizardfolk game and we shall kick chaos rear end together!! Well chaos comes, no one invites me to the party, and the computer factions roundly kick Archaon's rear end without me =( I helped indirectly by wiping out Grimgor entirely which let the dwarves focus on the North but everyone else didn't like me.

Okay says I, anticlimactic ending there but whatever. I'll go beat up the Dark Elves I guess to feel better and figure out what I need to do for a Long victory. Halfway there, the Elves declare war on me! For what?!?! And then of course the Empire, Southlands, Bretonnia and Dwarves all do who have now consolidated into 4 enormous factions, each of which is roughly as strong as I am (11 armies). I run back home,see I'm 10~ turns away from a Short victory and then begin a desperate holding action to keep away 5 NPC armies from my critical provinces while I build the special Tombs (if I had taken one extra province earlier in the game and actually built these structures I could've won 50 turns ago) - I killed Karl Franz AND the Dwarf king but they JUST KEPT COMING. I was maybe... 2 or 3 turns away from losing one of the provinces I needed for victory when the Black Tomb was finished and I got the W. Not at all the ending of the campaign I expected but woooooo that was scary. How the hell is anyone supposed to fight that?!

So now I'm soured on the "good" races and thinking Ikit Claw for my next campaign where I reduce everyone to piles of green goo. But I also bought Wood Elves during the sale and Drycha looks like just my kind of crazy... though maybe a regular wood elves campaign where I DON'T get crazy expansionist will be a good change of pace?

Anyway, ordertide is a PITA.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Sure, but in-game and in his quest speeches he turns into store brand Balthasar Gelt :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB0RMd4sTFY&t=97s

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 19, 2021

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

DourCricket posted:

It's definitely a YMMV situation right now. I've had several campaigns with one or all the following happen:
-Reikland does nothing and gets rolled by Vampires or Norsca.
-Dwarfs are killed off around-ish turn 50 by Skaven or Greenskins.
-High Elves overrun by Mortahi, sometimes very early on like turn 40ish.
-Bretonnia KO'd by turn 10 from Marienburg or World Walkers.

It doesn't help that CA did something to diplomacy and now it's virtually impossible to get anyone to deal with you without very high relations. But especially with how early and fast maluses like Great Power will stack so when you meet Reikland or Dwarfs you're likely at -60 or -80 and that's not even adding the likely aversion penalty.

Also kudos because I would have just ended my campaign right there after the avalanche of order tide war decs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Using Mixu's LLs and I'm pretty sure Ostland has one of the most powerful starts now, and also has the advantage of being one of the most different from vanilla LLs. You get bonus defense for halberdiers and spearmen, massively reduced upkeep for both, and your Elector count unit are greatsword cavalry. On top of that, your LL has a skill that gives doubleshot to gunpowder troops, substantially increasing their firepower. And you have a good mine to boot.

I almost want to start a new campaign and do them to start instead of Wissenland. Any good Empire mods besides Mixu's stuff?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Sasgrillo posted:

I feel like this happens almost every game now. Louen attacks the orcs that start near him and then Marienburg wipes him out and he never recovers.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kept playing as Nakai with a couple of QoL mods to smooth the process and I'm having a lot of fun. Killed 3/4 of the hunters myself, my buddy Mazdamundi got the last one for me which still counted funnily enough. Nakai is hilariously tough, I don't have too many of the personal combat skills on him and got caught in an absolutely massive skaven ambush, literal rats swarming over the hills style, and he just went to work and managed to fend off 4 1.5k+ armies off. My own army took a massive beating, but with all the +replenish buffs that Nakai can get I was shipshape after like, 2 turns. Nearly done with the campaign, probably gonna try Tiqtakto next.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

DourCricket posted:

Holy hell Ordertide is REAL

I'm playing my first Tomb Kings game (got it during the lunar sale) and I spend all game getting ready for the Chaos invasions - I'm going to ally with order again like my Lizardfolk game and we shall kick chaos rear end together!! Well chaos comes, no one invites me to the party, and the computer factions roundly kick Archaon's rear end without me =( I helped indirectly by wiping out Grimgor entirely which let the dwarves focus on the North but everyone else didn't like me.

Okay says I, anticlimactic ending there but whatever. I'll go beat up the Dark Elves I guess to feel better and figure out what I need to do for a Long victory. Halfway there, the Elves declare war on me! For what?!?! And then of course the Empire, Southlands, Bretonnia and Dwarves all do who have now consolidated into 4 enormous factions, each of which is roughly as strong as I am (11 armies). I run back home,see I'm 10~ turns away from a Short victory and then begin a desperate holding action to keep away 5 NPC armies from my critical provinces while I build the special Tombs (if I had taken one extra province earlier in the game and actually built these structures I could've won 50 turns ago) - I killed Karl Franz AND the Dwarf king but they JUST KEPT COMING. I was maybe... 2 or 3 turns away from losing one of the provinces I needed for victory when the Black Tomb was finished and I got the W. Not at all the ending of the campaign I expected but woooooo that was scary. How the hell is anyone supposed to fight that?!

So now I'm soured on the "good" races and thinking Ikit Claw for my next campaign where I reduce everyone to piles of green goo. But I also bought Wood Elves during the sale and Drycha looks like just my kind of crazy... though maybe a regular wood elves campaign where I DON'T get crazy expansionist will be a good change of pace?

I just noticed this on my current Tyrion playthrough. This one just has us absolutely wrecking Chaos, Dark Elves, and Orks with no issues. The AI just ripped apart 6 stacks of the Chaos invasion and they didn't even wait for me!

Is there any way to side with the baddies in Mortal Empires? If I'm playing as Grimgor, I would like to be best friends with Malus and Ikit, but they just don't like me, so I have to smash everyone I guess. :smith:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sasgrillo posted:

It's definitely a YMMV situation right now. I've had several campaigns with one or all the following happen:
-Reikland does nothing and gets rolled by Vampires or Norsca.
-Dwarfs are killed off around-ish turn 50 by Skaven or Greenskins.
-High Elves overrun by Mortahi, sometimes very early on like turn 40ish.

It doesn't help that CA did something to diplomacy and now it's virtually impossible to get anyone to deal with you without very high relations. But especially with how early and fast maluses like Great Power will stack so when you meet Reikland or Dwarfs you're likely at -60 or -80 and that's not even adding the likely aversion penalty.

Also kudos because I would have just ended my campaign right there after the avalanche of order tide war decs.

at least these factions don't all inevitably team up. it'd be a lot easier if evles / dwarves / humies didn't inevitably form militarty alliances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Sasgrillo posted:

Even with 100+ relations I've had other factions refuse trade agreements. Diplomacy in this game really needs a complete rework