Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Welcome to Wine in Front of All: Eternal Twilight

This will be an open setup game with roles picked by you, the players! Probably won’t be balanced, probably will be fun, and as the title suggests the thread will never close so you can practice your gift of gab day and night!

I’m your mod, Hal is your other mod. It’s been a LONG time since I’ve modded a game so I’m sure this will be perfect and smooth.

I’ll post other stuff here later, like a player list and votefinder thing.

:siren: Discord Server is Up :siren: You need to join the discord server to play.

Signups are open. Game will probably start on Monday the 22nd. Maybe earlier if it fills fast. It will NOT be the first to sign up will get a spot; if there are more than 13 people who want to play we will break out the RNG. Signups will close at some point once I feel everyone has had a fair chance to join. If there are really a lot of signups I'll increase the size of the game.

More to come, and more rules below, but I encourage everyone to start calling everyone scum now.

Have Fun!

Player List

1. b-minus1
  2. CapitalistPig (He/Him)
  3. CCKeane
  4. Grandicap (He, Him)
  5. merk (he/him)
  6. Mr. Steak (he/him)
  7. ObamaAkbar. (He/him)
  8. Retro Futurist (He/him/opop)
  9. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  10. Scientastic (he/him)
  11. spacing in vienna (she, her)
  12. Spoonsy (he/him/his)
  13. Toalpaz (THEY THEM)

Role Draft Order is Here

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Wine in Front of All is exactly like a normal game, except there is a special pre-game stage that allows people to pick roles. It works as such:

Specific WIFOA Pre-Game Rules

Stage 0: I will randomly assign each player’s alignment. This will be done by RNG (twice, actually), so while I encourage WIFOM in this game, initial player order will probably not be the place to look. Players will not learn their alignment until Stage 2 (the Role Draft) begins.

Stage 1: Draft Order Contest. Each player must send me a number (integers only, sc4rs) from 1-10. Each player must also send me a second tie break number from 1-10 – the tie break will work exactly like the original contest (Example of number choice: Vodoofly picks 9, 9). The object is to pick the number closest to 1 that THE LEAST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE PICK. Order will be determined as: (1) closest to 1 that only 1 person picked, until all single picks are gone; (2) closest to 1 that only 2 people picked (using the tiebreaker), until all double picks are gone; (3) closest to 1 that only 3 people picked (using the tiebreaker), until all triple picks are gone; etc. If there is a tie in the tiebreaker number section, those players will be behind any single pick for the tie breakers, and I will roll dice for them. The final Draft Order will be published in this thread for all to see. See the Mock Draft (posted somewhere below) for an example.

Stage 2: Role Draft!!! First, players will learn their alignment (scum will NOT learn who their scum buddies are). Second, each person must select one, and only one, role from the pool of roles (provided below). These selections must be sent to me via PM or Discord. I will then go down the Draft Order – if nobody above you has selected the role you picked, you get the role, but if someone has already taken that role, you are vanilla. If you select vanilla, you will automatically be vanilla. The results of this draft will NOT be published until after the game has finished.

Stage 3: People will be sent their role and full/rest of their alignment (scum will learn their scumbuddies at this time), and then Day 1 will begin. There will be no Night 0.

General Rules:
  • General mafia rules apply: Don't be a jerk or try to break the rules. You all know what the rules are.
  • Eternal Twilight. When a player is hammered, that player shuts up. If, for some reason, a player looks like they might be killed, people can keep talking until a mod puts a flip up (including the possible dead player). Thread will never close because WIFOA is the party that never ends.
  • 13 Players. 3 Scum / 10 Town.
  • Plurality lynches. You can ##vote no lynch if you want.
  • Tiebreaker: Whoever would have been lynched before the tie will be lynched.
  • Pander Rule: Do NOT quote or share your role PM, or any part of it, with anyone, whether in the thread or not. If you are allowed to share your role PM, your role will explicitly specify as such. Scum are allowed to share their roles with scumbuddies.
  • Talking about the game: Don't do it. Whether living or dead. Whether the person is in the game or not. Just say no! If there is a dead chat in Discord then this rule will not apply to that chatroom and that chatroom only.
  • This is a non-confirmation style game. Basically, I will NEVER tell you about the success or failure of your night actions. Don't equate receiving results to being successful, since if there was a reason you would receive false results you won't know about it. Likewise, though, this isn't a mindfuck game.
  • Night actions will follow a priority list. You can assume that list generally follows this pattern: Blocky / Watchy / Protecty / Shooty / Searchy.
  • The scum kill is an action. A scum player must perform it. If they perform a kill they are not able to do any other action, unless they have another role that would expressly allow them to perform multiple actions.
  • Other things: Just pay attention.

Possible Role List (descriptions might be vague on purpose, and the role might perform more or less than it seems, but will not contradict anything written here):
  • Roleblocker: target is unable to perform an action.
  • Empowerer: if target was unable to perform an action, will remove one obstacle to performance.
  • Faulty Vigilante A: vig that can shoot at day [##kill xxx] or at night (you send in the shot as a night action, you DO NOT SHOOT IN THREAD DURING TWILIGHT). Only has one shot. Does not kill anonymously (i.e. it will be announced in thread at start of next day who fired a shot, even if the shot doesn’t kill someone, if it’s a night action). Only one of faulty vig A or B will have a real shot, the other's shot will be harmless (determined at start of game). Neither vig will know if they have the real or harmless shot. Neither vig will be told whether their shot was effective or not. Role is not affected if the other faulty vig is picked, or is not picked, for the game.
  • Faulty Vigilante B: ditto to Faulty Vig A.
  • Toxic Vigilante: One shot dayvig. Must also call the alignment of target with shot in the thread [##kill xxx, xxx is [town/mafia]. If vig is wrong about the alignment, the vig will die along with the target. If something prevents the vig's shot, it is wasted, but the vig will remain alive.
  • Party Host: When you die (execution, mafia kill, vig, anything), a list of everyone who has successfully targeted you will be posted with your cardflip. This list will include both day and night targets. The players will be listed alphabetically, and it will not reveal when they targeted you, or if they targeted you more than once. This role is not an action - a roleblock will not affect your list power other than that person would be added to your list for successfully targeting you. This is a one-time ability, and nothing can cause this to happen more than once in the game.
  • Backup Extraordinaire: At the start of the game, the backup extraordinaire submits a list of the role/roles that player wishes to backup (from this list right here). After that, the first role to flip on the backup's list will be given to the backup at that time. If the role was a 1x ability and has already been used, the backup gets the role in the already used condition. When the backup dies that player's cardflip will not indicate whether the backup ability had triggered or what role it took over. The backup will not know of any results from the original player's use. This role is not an action - a roleblock will not affect your power. This is a one-time ability, and nothing can cause this to happen more than once in the game.
  • Mason A: an unconfirmed mason. If someone picks Mason B, then Mason A will be allowed to talk to Mason B outside of the thread. This is a (almost certainly) useless role.
  • Mason B: an unconfirmed mason. If someone picks Mason A, then Mason B will be allowed to talk to Mason A outside of the thread. This is a (almost certainly) useless role.
  • Mystery Role A: This player will flip as Mystery Role A upon death. It is up to the player to convince you what this role does.
  • Mystery Role B: This player will flip as Mystery Role B upon death. It is up to the player to convince you what this role does.
  • Mystery Role C: This player will flip as Mystery Role C upon death. It is up to the player to convince you what this role does.

Vanilla Role PM:

quote:

Alignment: Town

Role: Vanilla

Role Description:
You are vanilla. You have no special powers except your vote. You are cooler than everyone else. There may or may not be other roles that can affect your abilities, whether for better or for worse.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 22, 2021

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I will be harpo

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mystery Role B is confirmed Stump.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

MOCK DRAFT

Mock Draft Contest to make it simpler (second number is tiebreaker).

A: 1,1
B: 1,4
C: 1,1
D: 3,7
E: 5,9
F: 5,2
G: 7,1
H: 2,4
I: 2,7
J: 9,8
K: 6,9
L: 6,7
M: 5,6

Final Draft Order:

1. D (3,7) (one person picked the number)
2. G (7,1)
3. J (9,8)
4. H (2,4) (two people picked the number)
5. I (2,7)
6. L (6,7)
7. K (6,9)
8. B (1,4) (three people pick the number)
9. C (1,1 wins dice roll)
10. A (1,1 loses dice roll)
11. F (5,2)
12. M (5,6)
13. E (5,9)

Simple, right?

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
I will play Guy Who Doesn’t Post On Weekends

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

This is a sign up post.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
okay yeah

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Spoonsy posted:

I will play Guy Who Doesn’t Post On Weekends

I'm a mod who doesn't post much on weekends, so you are good.

Also if I've played in a game you ran or helped run in the last year then you have an automatic spot.

Retro Futurist posted:

Going to try and remember how these work

Me too

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 20, 2021

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Going to try and remember how these work

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

No one take 6,9 tyvm

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
no one take 1,10 tyvm

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I've never taken 1,1 before, this might be my game to do so.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I, toalpaz, will 'play' this 'game'

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I will play

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Okay squad. I propose we all pick 1,1 and force this to just be a dice roll.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

We might be able to make Voodoofly roll the dice so many times his wrist kinda hurts.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
never played with role draft, apparently its a tried-and-true staple of the genre so i'm interested to try

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
I've never done a wifoa, prepare for me to gently caress it up :cool:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

spacing in vienna posted:

I've never done a wifoa, prepare for me to gently caress it up :cool:

SiV, pick mason with me!!!

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Grandicap posted:

SiV, pick mason with me!!!

ON IT. :thumbsup:

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

I’m going to be town this game guys honestly

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Signing up

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I’m in.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Discord Server is Up

I'll add spectator channels and other stuff at some point.

You need to join discord to play.

Edit: If that doesn't work let me know.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I'd like to spectate this one!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Also it looks like there are 13 people who want to play. I'm going to leave this open until at least tonight to give more people a chance to see it and join. If it works I'll try increasing the game size to keep as many people as possible.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

UPDATE: all 13 of you are in.

SEND ME YOUR NUMBERS. You can PM me or you can send them on discord.

Also, JOIN DISCORD. If you join under a name that is different than your forum name make sure you tell me who you are.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

CLARIFICATION: if it wasn’t clear, when I post the draft order it will show everyone the numbers you picked.

Is it scummy to say you will choose 1,1 (the sc4rs gambit) but secretly submit something else? That’s for you to decide. But yes it is.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

There may be one more spot open if anyone wants to join

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Weeeeeell, if you need another player...

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Weeeeeell, if you need another player...

Send in numbers. One player might step down to be a potential replacement so if they do you are in.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Alright Science is going to take Mags spot. Mags, if you decide you have time for the game I'll hit you up first as a replacement, and if you want to observe just let me know.

DRAFT ORDER FOR ROLE DRAFT IS BELOW!!!

1. ObamaAkbar 4.1
  2. B-minus 5,6
  3. merk 1,1 (RNG was 2-1)
  4. Keane 1,1 (RNG was 2-1)
  5. Science 10,2
  6. Mr. Steak 10,10
  7. Sandwolf 3,2
  8. SiV 3,5
  9. Spoonsy 3,8
  10. CPig 2,8
  11. RF 2,3 (RNG was 2-3-1)
  12. Toalp 2,3 (RNG was 2-3-1)
  13. Grandi 2,3 (RNG was 2-3-1)

As you can see, I had to resort to the RNG twice, where I just generated a sequence and went off your alphabetical player list in OP.

2,3 for the loss!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

tired: 2,3
wired: 3,2

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
of course scientastic had to pick 10 like a loving chump

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Just to make everyone overthink this, here is the list of draft choices from the first time I ran this game, as well as the total available options:

quote:

Options:

Cop
Rolecop
Doctor
Roleblocker
Jailor
Empowerer
Vigilante

Draft Choices:

1. Buane Vig
2. Vote1 jailor
3. EccoRaven Vig
4. sc4rs jailor
5. Piuro Rolecop
6. TheDiscoKid Rolecop
7. MM Jailor
8. Squiggly jailor
9. Fitsfadda Vig
10. 50lbs of Bread Vig
11. Sophia jailor
12. Trajanmax Vig
13. The Lost Boy Jailor

Basically just assume everyone is picking the exact same thing you do and that every other choice is open.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

:( rip tlb

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
at least this time there are 12 available roles instead of 7. which means 5 of us should end up with roles this game, based on statistics probably

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Piuro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh come on