Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

fuf posted:

Basically I want exactly this scale but with control abstracted to a slightly higher level so there are fewer units to micro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S04jmj-Qms

Couldn't agree more. By now there has to be generations of people who's wished for drawing big arrows on a battlefield coupled with the wanted behaviour for/at that arrow, and your on-map troops being divided on 5-8 ai lieutenants. You as commander would then only be semi-microing 5-8 3xbattalion sized events at a time, instead of 800+ platoons like some games. If you could still transfer singular battalions etc between those sub commands the design should create enough "fire brigade" micro to feel satisfying.
Makes you think Paradox HoI 3/4 style orders would feel very natural at battlefield scale don't it? Would even potentially feel more natural there than on grand strategy.

Ultimate General is very very close, but with the simple kind of orders available (it's almost only move right? Haven't played it in forever) units gently caress up way to much especially under fire. Paradox really made something brilliant in the combat stanced orders in HoI 4.
I see you

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Ultimate General is very very close, but with the simple kind of orders available (it's almost only move right? Haven't played it in forever) units gently caress up way to much especially under fire. Paradox really made something brilliant in the combat stanced orders in HoI 4.
I see you

Mostly movement order, though you can order double quick, charge, and retreat. I think the bigger problem with Ultimate General is combat is often nonsensical. Like the best way to create decisive outcome is to charge a brigade while multiple brigades fire into the melee which is not only allowed, but cause minimal friendly fire.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

https://www.wargamer.com/combat-mission/cold-war-announcement?fbclid=IwAR0USC_EIaF6gq5zLohqoHK_HTRQP-CElPhDg4LgvMtlnvsHhsKsI_MZdKE

Both 1979 and 1982 timeframes are going to be included for the same campaigns which is actually pretty neat since you'll only get Abrams and Bradleys in the latter.

No. I want more Black Sea.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Couldn't agree more. By now there has to be generations of people who's wished for drawing big arrows on a battlefield coupled with the wanted behaviour for/at that arrow, and your on-map troops being divided on 5-8 ai lieutenants. You as commander would then only be semi-microing 5-8 3xbattalion sized events at a time, instead of 800+ platoons like some games. If you could still transfer singular battalions etc between those sub commands the design should create enough "fire brigade" micro to feel satisfying.
Makes you think Paradox HoI 3/4 style orders would feel very natural at battlefield scale don't it? Would even potentially feel more natural there than on grand strategy.

I see you

yeah Ultimate General is definitely the closest thing we have to the dream game in my head

The HoI system is cool but it depends a lot on there being continuous front lines, the AI doesn't handle any kind of complicated manoeuvring very well

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fuf posted:

Man I would love an RTS game that had the scale of the early Eugen games but covered like the Napoleonic era or ancient era. I fantasise about it all the time.

I wanna play the battle of Waterloo and slowly move around large formations on a giant map. I don't think the complexity would be an issue because you just make the smallest unit of control something manageable like the regiment or division. And it all becomes about manoeuvring and spotting and where to move your reserves and cool stuff like that.

I guess operational scale rather than strategic or tactical?

It's weird to me that there are no games like that. It goes straight from Total War where the battles are small to something like HOI where the scale is huge.

There were some very cool custom maps / mods for Napoleon Total War that actually increased the number of units and the map sizes to be realistic but it was a bit clunky.

Basically I want exactly this scale but with control abstracted to a slightly higher level so there are fewer units to micro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S04jmj-Qms

Scourge of war is the game for you!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mans posted:

yeah I know, I've tried, it's just... it kinda sucks

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mans posted:

It’s ugly and clunky and has no reason whatsoever to be that terrible. We need better. That’s just grog in general.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It’s ugly and clunky and has no reason whatsoever to be that terrible.

New thread title please

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Scourge of War actually rules, I will not stand for this lies and slander

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Like 10 years ago we tried a MP game (MP being the only reason it's designed up the way it is) and everyone instantly desynced.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SoW is like EVE or something in how everything written about it is good and everything about playing it is bad

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

SoW is like EVE or something in how everything written about it is good and everything about playing it is bad

No most of what of written about SoW is how it is bad.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Besides wanting a Troubles related grog game or grog lite (Northern Ireland ’71 hello Slytherine) I also reslly always wanted a non-main battle Napoleonic era game.

The scattered fights between Austrian Scouts and some sporadic French Cavalry, or other similar engagements. There’s plenty of that going on in these wars, but the huge line battle gets all the cred and fame.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I see you

This is basically command ops 2. Actually, not basically, exactly.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

This is basically command ops 2. Actually, not basically, exactly.

I find command ops too abstracted and black boxy. I order an attack and the battalion AI just start to plot wild flank around the entire map. My entire AT asset is for some reason forced to deploy together in a 16 guns battery, but I have to cover multiple possible enemy approaches. Most of the time I can't really tell why and how an engagement turns out the way it did (which is realistic in a grognard way I guess). The space and time scale are both great, but I don't really like the execution.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

I find command ops too abstracted and black boxy. I order an attack and the battalion AI just start to plot wild flank around the entire map. My entire AT asset is for some reason forced to deploy together in a 16 guns battery, but I have to cover multiple possible enemy approaches. Most of the time I can't really tell why and how an engagement turns out the way it did (which is realistic in a grognard way I guess). The space and time scale are both great, but I don't really like the execution.

There are movement orders that help you control all of that. It's very much a draw the arrows and give instructions about how to execute them.

I do agree about the support platoons and companies though (AT and MGs). In reality they would have been split across other fighting units.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Alchenar posted:

Like 10 years ago we tried a MP game (MP being the only reason it's designed up the way it is) and everyone instantly desynced.

God, Forgot about them - I even recorded the battles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un8F5nQuJH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diEzemSp86s

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4965174

Final beta sign ups for Wite2 are open.

I'm in the beta already and it is pretty close to final release.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

Command Ops 2 takes a lot to get used to, but once you're there, it really can't be beat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hmm, I do wonder if 10 years on we could actually play without the animation disaster but knowing grog games obviously not.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Alchenar posted:

Hmm, I do wonder if 10 years on we could actually play without the animation disaster but knowing grog games obviously not.

It should have been patched at least once since then!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

It should have been patched at least once since then!

I was more thinking that the newer and better pcs we all have will make absolutely no difference.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I wish there was an operational level ancient/medieval grog game. Like a medieval campaigning simulator. Every medieval game I've ever seen focuses entirely on big tactical battles, but those were rare back then. Like 99% of medieval warfare was skirmishing, sieges and maneuver warfare, involving small armies marching, counter-marching, raiding, sieging, skirmishing, out-maneuvering and shadowing each other over huge distances.

Supplying armies in the field was difficult, and armies had to live off the land or march around with huge baggage trains with hundreds of wagons stretching for miles along the road that had to be protected at all times. There were wars lost just because a baggage train got sacked.

Imagine a game where you have to manage the complexity of a long medieval campaign and subsequent siege, where you could do things like maintain a siege camp and build trenches or a wall around the enemy castle in order to keep the enemy contained, and then build another wall around your inner wall in order to keep relief forces out. Meanwhile you have to keep your army from starving or withering away from disease and attrition by raiding and looting the countryside, skirmishing with enemy foraging parties etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I wish there was an operational level ancient/medieval grog game. Like a medieval campaigning simulator. Every medieval game I've ever seen focuses entirely on big tactical battles, but those were rare back then. Like 99% of medieval warfare was skirmishing, sieges and maneuver warfare, involving small armies marching, counter-marching, raiding, sieging, skirmishing, out-maneuvering and shadowing each other over huge distances.

Supplying armies in the field was difficult, and armies had to live off the land or march around with huge baggage trains with hundreds of wagons stretching for miles along the road that had to be protected at all times. There were wars lost just because a baggage train got sacked.

Imagine a game where you have to manage the complexity of a long medieval campaign and subsequent siege, where you could do things like maintain a siege camp and build trenches or a wall around the enemy castle in order to keep the enemy contained, and then build another wall around your inner wall in order to keep relief forces out. Meanwhile you have to keep your army from starving or withering away from disease and attrition by raiding and looting the countryside, skirmishing with enemy foraging parties etc.

AGEOD's Alea Jacta Est

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I wish there was an operational level ancient/medieval grog game.

It seems to me that the farther back in history one goes with wargaming, the more anachronistic in becomes.

Playing anything pre-modern (1600s) feels strange for me because of that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's just a point you reach going back where there isn't really anything meaningful for the player-commander to do. All that decentralised stuff doesn't make for an interesting player experience.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I disagree. Decentralised authority, orders lag and all that good stuff is literally stuff we’ve just been talking about enjoying and wanting to see more of earlier. Give me Scourge of War (but better) Alexander. Chuck in hefty decision making like DC:B for each general on a campaign layer and alter their/their units behaviours based on personality, that sounds loving great.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Decentralised authority is fine, but when you are talking about actions involving a dozen people or so you arent playing a wargame, you are playing medieval jagged alliance.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The amount of pre-modern paper wargames in the operational scale are very, very low, so there's not a lot of material to really be inspired by to make a computer game on it. The closest thing that's actually properly designed right now is GMT's Nevsky. I look forward to seeing more in that vein, but the research is somewhat limited in this regard.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

AGEOD's Alea Jacta Est

reported for encouraging self-harm

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
To be fair it's probably their best game.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Alchenar posted:

medieval jagged alliance.

Sign me up. I’d play this.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Eh, don't let a messy B-17 run like that get you down -- you'll be sinking the Yamamoto while doing barrel-rolls in no time!

EDIT: In War in the Pacific, I think you put points into "pilot training" to unlock this ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZejvH-_t6J0

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

The music gets me every time. I love these. Mods, please promote this goon to Grognard Games Megathread Flying Ace or a Knight of the Air, whatever. :regd10:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yooper posted:

Sign me up. I’d play this.

Its Kenshi. I bounced off it but it has a following.

Its not a bad game, its just not something anyone would identify as a wargame.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The il-2 radio russian mumbling voice samples prove the authenticity so it must be possible to skip bomb in heavy bombers.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Alchenar posted:

Its Kenshi. I bounced off it but it has a following.

Its not a bad game, its just not something anyone would identify as a wargame.

Kenshi, the survival game?

Naw, I want something like battle brothers but with ja2 1.13

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Kenshi rules if you do it right.

Either you build a survivor colony in the wilderness or you become Fist of The North Star

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I picked up DC:B months ago but finally decided to sit down and play through the campaign. About how many hours should I expect a campaign as the Germans to take? Trying to decide how much I want to try and learn beforehand as opposed to just jumping in, seeing what happens, and then playing a second campaign when it inevitably goes terribly. Like, a WitP campaign takes hundreds of hours so I would and did study a ton before starting that - is DC:B close to that level of time investment per campaign or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Bold Robot posted:

I picked up DC:B months ago but finally decided to sit down and play through the campaign. About how many hours should I expect a campaign as the Germans to take? Trying to decide how much I want to try and learn beforehand as opposed to just jumping in, seeing what happens, and then playing a second campaign when it inevitably goes terribly. Like, a WitP campaign takes hundreds of hours so I would and did study a ton before starting that - is DC:B close to that level of time investment per campaign or no?

As the Krauts, I usually make it about 6 turns before going "This was a terrible idea."

... I've yet to actually finish a game of DC:B