Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Mosnar posted:

You try typing with one hand and see what it does to your grammar and diction.

We all love Americana here, but gross dude tmi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

This might be the loving creepiest poo poo I've seen written on these forums in a long time.

The gently caress is wrong with you? Who talks like this?

don’t disrespect a king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeihcfYft9w

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Wallace, Idaho is pretty neat little town. It's nestled in a narrow valley and they used to do a lot of silver mining in the region. They still do some mining too I believe but not so much anymore.

This was a fantastic post. I was especially struck by that first image, and went searching for a larger/better version, which led me here for a few more great small-town images from some random Russian(?) dude (see adjacent tweets):
https://twitter.com/senko/status/1281832748986986496

Big Beef City posted:

This might be the loving creepiest poo poo I've seen written on these forums in a long time.

The gently caress is wrong with you? Who talks like this?

LOL Jesus Christ dude.

a) If this hits your "creepiest poo poo" bar on these forums you are the most sheltered person in existence and/or you certainly don't wander around much here, do you?

b) People talk and write differently. They use different words. Mosnar might be ESL, they might have been raised in a different country, they might simply like to use slightly different words and break poo poo up a little.
I'm not sure who pissed on your cornflakes this morning, but "the gently caress is wrong with you" is a hell of an ironic thing to post.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

screaden posted:

I did this and I have questions like what the hell do people do here? Most of the houses look boarded up and abandoned but there were cars parked out the front

There's a borax plant, a power station, fire department and a sheriff's office. It's next to Death Valley and a Navy weapons testing base. So if you aren't involved in one of those ventures you're probably on social security.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

aas Bandit posted:

This was a fantastic post. I was especially struck by that first image, and went searching for a larger/better version, which led me here for a few more great small-town images from some random Russian(?) dude (see adjacent tweets):
https://twitter.com/senko/status/1281832748986986496

LOL Jesus Christ dude.

a) If this hits your "creepiest poo poo" bar on these forums you are the most sheltered person in existence and/or you certainly don't wander around much here, do you?

b) People talk and write differently. They use different words. Mosnar might be ESL, they might have been raised in a different country, they might simply like to use slightly different words and break poo poo up a little.
I'm not sure who pissed on your cornflakes this morning, but "the gently caress is wrong with you" is a hell of an ironic thing to post.

settle down,beavis

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Alton, IL

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Reminds me of Appalachia in Virginia and West Virginia. I work a soul crushing desk job for the federal government and my dream is to retire to a town in the valley like that some day.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That looks like that Left 4 Dead 2 level in the rain.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Wallace, Idaho is pretty neat little town. It's nestled in a narrow valley and they used to do a lot of silver mining in the region. They still do some mining too I believe but not so much anymore.

[...]

Wallace, won't you?

Oh hey, I read an article about that valley.

quote:

The EPA Can’t Wait to Reopen the Mine That Poisoned North Idaho

For a century, the mines of the Coeur d’Alene Mountains in North Idaho produced much of the heavy metals that made the U.S. a global superpower. Starting in the 1880s, through the rise of industrialization, the introduction of the automobile, and two world wars, a few narrow canyons in the Coeur d’Alenes yielded more than 11 million tons of zinc, lead, and silver, as much as a fifth of U.S. production.

Mining has left a mark on the culture of the Silver Valley and an indelible stain on the landscape, which remains heavily contaminated. To extract a pound of metal, mining companies had to process nearly 14 pounds of ore, and they dumped the crushed waste rock into mountain streams and along river banks. Over the course of a century, the tailings and mine drainage flowed down the 40-mile-long watershed, depositing some 75 million tons of highly toxic sludge into Lake Coeur d’Alene. House cats convulsed from drinking the water. Migratory tundra swans suffered slow deaths as their digestive tracts seized up from lead poisoning, causing both suffocation and starvation as undigested food backed up into their long necks. Children in the Silver Valley in the 1970s registered some of the highest levels of lead in their bloodstreams recorded anywhere.

By the time the area’s biggest mine, run by the Bunker Hill Mining Co., in Kellogg, closed in the early 1980s, the mines had spread a ribbon of poison from the Idaho-Montana border to Lake Coeur d’Alene and down the Spokane River all the way into Eastern Washington. [...]

In the late 1920s, smoke from Bunker Hill’s smelter stacks grew so thick in the valley that the mine built a solarium so workers and their families could get some substitute sunshine under ultraviolet lights. The toxic plumes turned Kellogg into a dustbowl. As early as 1921, Bunker Hill experimented with a chelation therapy for its workers that entailed running electric current through a saltwater bath as workers soaked their hands and feet. Electrodes in the tubs were supposed to draw the metals out of their bodies. Down the mountain, in Coeur d’Alene, people from the mining towns became known as “lead heads,” and their growth was so stunted they were said to have “the Silver Valley inseam.”

Whole article's nuts.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Trap and skeet! The team I was on was sponsored by the Department of Conservation, so effectively state-sanctioned and subsidized. Some teams were school-sponsored so the kids would leave their guns in their lockers and take the school bus to competitions. 3 kids in my cohort got college scholarships and 1 went to the Olympics later on. At competitions the firing line could be over a mile long and have hundreds of teams competing at once. A really good gun might cost over $10,000! Kids like me spent weekends blowing through ammo at local clubs trying to get ready for the season. It's very popular among the well-to-do who are more 'country' than 'city.'

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

This gives the impression of more buried ledes than there are nouns.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Woof Blitzer posted:

Trap and skeet! The team I was on was sponsored by the Department of Conservation, so effectively state-sanctioned and subsidized. Some teams were school-sponsored so the kids would leave their guns in their lockers and take the school bus to competitions. 3 kids in my cohort got college scholarships and 1 went to the Olympics later on. At competitions the firing line could be over a mile long and have hundreds of teams competing at once. A really good gun might cost over $10,000! Kids like me spent weekends blowing through ammo at local clubs trying to get ready for the season. It's very popular among the well-to-do who are more 'country' than 'city.'

The school I work at has a trap team. I was the club sponsor one year when the old one had left. They aren't allowed to keep their guns at school anymore of course, and they can only use the bus to get to competitions if they have a parent transport the guns separately.

The entire team consisted of a bunch of chud-y as gently caress rick kids cosplaying as poor rednecks. Their multi-thousand dollar shotguns gave them away though. I was only the sponsor for a year for obvious reasons.

Edit: I'm not saying that describes you, Woof. That's just what my experience with it was.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Prof. Banks posted:

The school I work at has a trap team. I was the club sponsor one year when the old one had left. They aren't allowed to keep their guns at school anymore of course, and they can only use the bus to get to competitions if they have a parent transport the guns separately.

The entire team consisted of a bunch of chud-y as gently caress rick kids cosplaying as poor rednecks. Their multi-thousand dollar shotguns gave them away though. I was only the sponsor for a year for obvious reasons.

Edit: I'm not saying that describes you, Woof. That's just what my experience with it was.

No that describes it pretty well lol. It’s the F-150 King Ranch of sports. :iiaca:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
As a not-chuddy and definitely not rich kid growing up, I would've loved to have been part of a trap team in school, that sounds awesome. We had tons of open land around my tiny high school too, and people regularly brought their hunting rifles in the back of their trucks (right up till Columbine anyway) so it's weird to me that we didn't have something like that.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Outrail posted:

This gives the impression of more buried ledes than there are nouns.

They had to bury the ledes to keep the monument from floating away.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Whole article's nuts.

Checks out. I worked with a guy from the Smelterville area and it tracks pretty closely with what he had to say.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Those heavy metal mine tailings remain a problem to this day in the area. They're mostly at the bottom of larger bodies of water that runoff went to. Like Lake Coeur d'Alene!
The current strategy is the same it's always been: don't disturb the poo poo on the bottom and hope it goes away.

The Columbia river has a very similar problem with different origins that are also 100% Americana: nuclear weapons!
The Hanford area of Eastern Washington was the #1 plutonium production site from the early 40's to the 90's. There were about a dozen nuclear reactors whose only purpose was plutonium production. They didn't produce electric power at all. Cooling was single-pass from the Columbia river, and back into the river lol. To be fair, fast fission products were allowed to settle out in trenches before getting redirected to the river.
But still, the site released an absolutely loving staggering 14,000 Curies of activity into the river daily during the hay day of production - 60's and 70's, mostly.
The site got picked because it had access to loads of clean water, was remote from everything, and didn't have anyone living there. Well, except for the small town of Hanford. Here is it's old school building as it stands to this day:

The Hanford site is also where the US stores decommissioned nuclear cores from subs (horizontal) and surface ships (vertical). Satellite pic:

The place is also home to B-Reactor, the world's first large scale nuclear reactor. It was used for production of plutonium only and it's something. This is the front of the reactor - all core tubes are horizontal. The giant block is made of carbon.

Uranium rods would go into the tubes and get irradiated/do their nuke thing. After 30 days, enough material has been turned into Plutonium (<5% iirc) so workers open the front of the reactor and use long rods to push irradiated fuel rods out the back. This seems pretty haphazard given the nature of the operation, but what do I know?
Enrico Fermi himself ran the show and had an office in the building which you can check out today and look at his stuff. It's pretty cool.

Lastly, there's the Fast Flux Test Facility (FFTF), a now decommissioned 400 MW research reactor that used liquid sodium for coolant.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 15, 2021

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The Panhandle and Eastern Washington are full of chuds too, probably from the lead.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

The Panhandle and Eastern Washington are full of chuds too, probably from the lead.

different reason for SE WA, see my edited post.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It ain't just the panhandle. Idaho is a gorgeous state full of the worst people.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

TotalLossBrain posted:

The Hanford site is also where the US stores decommissioned nuclear cores from subs (horizontal) and surface ships (vertical). Satellite pic:

As far as I know, they've stopped sending them to Hanford. Now, the cores go to the Naval Reactors Facility, in the middle of nowhere Idaho.
https://navalnuclearlab.energy.gov/about-us/naval-reactors-facility-/
https://www.energy.gov/em/articles/crews-move-fuel-dry-storage-compliance-idaho-agreement

They also used to train reactor engineers for the US Navy out there, there's a couple of buildings on the site that have remnants of the reactors other than the core. Here's a pic, the pool is drained these days;

The cores in dry storage live inside, which is probably better. Fun fact: because of all the thermal inertia of the concrete they keep the cores in, that building is cold as hell during the summer.

(I don't know why part of it is purple.)

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 15, 2021

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pug Rodeo posted:

Interesting. I don’t doubt your story, I’ve just only known it as a liberal leaning small town full of great breweries and food.

Yeah it seemed like a neat spot, and during the day it was. Once it got dark I guess we were in the locals spots and the bartenders were scared of what might happen with their normal crowds. Honestly that was our entire experience in Oregon as a whole for the 6 or 7 months we spent there.

Also, americana:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah it seemed like a neat spot, and during the day it was. Once it got dark I guess we were in the locals spots and the bartenders were scared of what might happen with their normal crowds. Honestly that was our entire experience in Oregon as a whole for the 6 or 7 months we spent there.

Also, americana:

Whoa. What kind of platinum insurance plan is this?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Zero One posted:

Whoa. What kind of platinum insurance plan is this?

The "this hospital and every doc involved" is in network kind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Prof. Banks posted:

Their facial expressions and body language have a very strong "I can't wait to be the next Kyle Rittenhouse." vibe.

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, americana:

I have medicare and get statements like this. Obviously the numbers are nowhere close to that. But anyway there are three numbers. What the doctor/provider bills the insurance, what medicare approves, and what they actually pay out. The last number is always anywhere from 50-70% lower than the first. Here's where it gets fun! If you pay out of pocket none of those numbers are adjusted and you have to pay that first number which is always an outrageous sum of money.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the earlier pics of classic Small American Towns, everyone. They were nice to see. Especially the post about Wallace. Clearly (and unsurprisingly!) my brief trips to the US haven't been to the bits with the nice main streets.

Today that Kodachrome account threw up this:

https://twitter.com/Kodakforever/status/1361836632115142659?s=19

Which as well as being pretty good Americana, is a coincidence because I live in the Peterborough in the UK and have also been to the (much nicer) Peterborough in Ontario. I once ordered some car parts, didn't check the online form properly and had them shipped to a non-existant address in Peterborough, NH. At least it seems they went somewhere nice on their pointless double crossing of the Atlantic!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

Their facial expressions and body language have a very strong "I can't wait to be the next Kyle Rittenhouse." vibe.

I have medicare and get statements like this. Obviously the numbers are nowhere close to that. But anyway there are three numbers. What the doctor/provider bills the insurance, what medicare approves, and what they actually pay out. The last number is always anywhere from 50-70% lower than the first. Here's where it gets fun! If you pay out of pocket none of those numbers are adjusted and you have to pay that first number which is always an outrageous sum of money.

Yet you get morons saying that cOmPeTiTiOn is driving costs down when in reality the only proven way of keeping the healthcare industry from charging made up prices is to have a single provider with an absolute bargaining power who can tell them "No, this is what we are paying and if you don't like it, you can gently caress off"

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

steinrokkan posted:

Yet you get morons saying that cOmPeTiTiOn is driving costs down when in reality the only proven way of keeping the healthcare industry from charging made up prices is to have a single provider with an absolute bargaining power who can tell them "No, this is what we are paying and if you don't like it, you can gently caress off"

Competition would drive prices down, if the customer could simply not use the product. Which in the case of health care is pretty much impossible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This reminds me so much of some cities in east coast Canada and I love it.

EG
Jan 10, 2007

Here's a little more Americana from Alton.

And nothing more Americana than an empty mall:

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, americana:

I will never, ever comprehend how vast amounts of America are not only OK with their healthcare system actively hating them, but actually believe that it's good that it hates them because it's "un-American" not to pay for literally everything.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

frytechnician posted:

I will never, ever comprehend how vast amounts of America are not only OK with their healthcare system actively hating them, but actually believe that it's good that it hates them because it's "un-American" not to pay for literally everything.

But if healthcare was free people would be going for all sorts of unnecessary things like broken arms and crippling back pain.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

frytechnician posted:

I think it's a status thing.

"How dare you take their inferiority away from me; I earned it!"

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Thats exactly it, one of my aunts is aghast at the thought of socialized healthcare because she likes to brag about how much they pay.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

DreadUnknown posted:

Thats exactly it, one of my aunts is aghast at the thought of socialized healthcare because she likes to brag about how much they pay.

The mutual fund investing community thanks her for her sacrifice lmao.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

My mum is American and living in the UK. She brags to friends back home about how she doesn't pay for her healthcare. Yet she is opposed to Obamacare because "socialised" healthcare = death panels and 'bortions.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Benny Harvey posted:

My mum is American and living in the UK. She brags to friends back home about how she doesn't pay for her healthcare. Yet she is opposed to Obamacare because "socialised" healthcare = death panels and 'bortions.

Sorry your mom is such an idiot.

DreadUnknown posted:

Sorry your aunt is such an idiot.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

frytechnician posted:

It's all a lie pushed by both parties. The vast majority of america (74%+) hate the current healthcare system and almost all of those want medicare4all or something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

frytechnician posted:

They're being gaslit by politicians who are taking bribes from companies that benefit from this.