Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the audience knew about Stormfront, the website. Is it even relevant today with all the opening racist conservative safe spaces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the audience knew about Stormfront, the website. Is it even relevant today with all the opening racist conservative safe spaces?

No idea, I've personally only heard it mentioned on this site in passing. I briefly googled to see if there was a deeper association but no, apparently that website is the only real link between the word and Nazis.

Someone knowing that the TV show is based on a comic that came out in the mid 2000s, and that the word Stormfront is associated with Nazis due to a website that was founded in the 90s and therefore it's possible that the name was chosen because of the Nazi link is leaning pretty heavily on their pop culture knowledge - and even then, to say that the only possible explanation for the name is that she's a Nazi from literally the first second she appears on screen using that name... that's insane. I imagine whoever thinks like that also regularly screams at the weather forecast.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

It's bad that so many of you are unaware of a massive white supremacist group. None of this is making you look any better.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's bad that so many of you are unaware of a massive white supremacist group. None of this is making you look any better.

You're being needlessly antagonistic right now, you know that? Yes, they're very bad, but being angry at people for not knowing about something isn't great either.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
She was incredibly clearly a giant loving Nazi, but I clocked that early on because I knew what Stormfront represented. That said I bet we'd all have a hard time picking out some names easily if we weren't a certain level of online aware and politically interested etc.

Blue Awakening, Chega, Vigrid and Candour are also all Far Right organisations in various countries that I wouldn't have recognised before I looked up a list. Luckily Nazi pricks usually can't help themselves and like to put something in about their homeland or purity to distinguish themselves.

My friend's 15 year old son had no idea what Stormfront was from the name. However he's not an idiot and worked out she was a racist piece of poo poo pretty quickly from her actions.

Basically I'm willing to give someone a pass that doesn't know the same things I do in order to assess a situation. However someone still sitting there not having worked it out pretty quickly is going to set off all sorts of chud alarms given the giant honking clues and racist alarm bells going off all over the place.

Tldr - don't judge someone for what they don't know. Judge them for how they behave when they have the information/evidence. Aka ask them how they feel about capes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol wtf. If you dont know this nazi website, it means you are in fact a nazi.

What a bizarre take

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Time is a flat circle and so is this thread

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The only people in a position to be aware of every white supremacist group are in fact white supremacists.

Checkmate, Nazi. :smug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Try talking to anyone under 35 years old. That site is old dude. It's dead and gay like SA.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We don't call things "gay" to be derogatory anymore.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is how I know someone is racist. Thinking there's any plausible deniability with anything named Stormfront is a huge crock of poo poo.

Or if they don't put beans in their chili.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The thing about racist symbols is, it's OK to not know what they are. It's how you react to finding out that matters. The other day I was talking to someone in a white supremacist gang who said he wants to renounce racism, but he still wants to wear his patches and hang out with his white supremacist buddies - so he's still a racist. That's different from someone who might post a Stonetoss comic without realizing what it represents.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Chalks posted:

Saying that everyone should have realised it from the name is absurd, she shoots lightening from her hands and shares a name with a weather pattern. Someone thinking that it sounds like an appropriate name without thinking "humz, isn't that the same name as an obscure US white supremacist website?" isn't being racist, especially if you take a second to remember that not literally everyone on the planet is from the same country as you.

It is really weird that extremely online people just assume that everyone else should know all the weird poo poo they know.

And it's even funnier because her name ambiguous to a non-extremely online person but like, literally everything else about her screams "literally a nazi" and people get upset when the average person doesn't use the name as the primary hint.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/antonystarr/status/1365632338860851200?s=20

https://twitter.com/antonystarr/status/1365609228476551169?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i read somewhere that season 3 is when Homelander finally goes apeshit so look forward to that.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Is that before or after gently caress Island?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Man am I excited about season 3! :buddy:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The little V zipper icon is such a drat good touch. This show better win all the awards.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vintersorg posted:

The little V zipper icon is such a drat good touch. This show better win all the awards.

I love the little touches prop makers and costume designers put into things that will never be seen on camera.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

We’ve been watching Banshee and Antony Starr is really freaking good in that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Klowner posted:

wherever I remember garden state exists I cringe. that movie sucks so much.

E: oh god I just remembered Safety Not Guaranteed exists too. gently caress mark duplass and gently caress Zach braff. It should be illegal for white men to make indie dramas

Jay duplass, however, is good in his part of the excellent scifi movie Prospect (also starring sophie thatcher and pedro pascal)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

uber_stoat posted:

i read somewhere that season 3 is when Homelander finally goes apeshit so look forward to that.

I really wanted his crowd-melting fantasy last season to not be a fakeout.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Jay duplass, however, is good in his part of the excellent scifi movie Prospect (also starring sophie thatcher and pedro pascal)

Didn't he make Room 104 with Mark? That show seriously sucked, but since it was an anthology with short episodes I still somehow managed to watch a lot of it.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

sticklefifer posted:

Soon, my friend.

Soon.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didn't he make Room 104 with Mark? That show seriously sucked, but since it was an anthology with short episodes I still somehow managed to watch a lot of it.

There would be like one or two good episodes per season, and then everything else would be completely pretentious garbage, but I'd keep watching because I'd hope we'd get another good episode.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

It was a really good fakeout...

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Lol wtf. If you dont know this nazi website, it means you are in fact a nazi.

What a bizarre take

Since it is a white problem white people should be more aware, yes. The reason there are so many racists still around is because of this kind of willful ignorance.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Or if they don't put beans in their chili.

This is another way white people keep racism around. Somehow beaner is not a racial epithet because this white person doesn't feel comfortable.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is another way white people keep racism around. Somehow beaner is not a racial epithet because this white person doesn't feel comfortable.

He said that someone is racist for not putting beans in chili . I don't know where you're getting a defense of racial epithets from out of that.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Pull up thread, pull up.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Pull up thread, pull up!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Since it is a white problem white people should be more aware, yes. The reason there are so many racists still around is because of this kind of willful ignorance.

How can you be willfully ignorant of something that you literally do not know exists?

How is someone who isn’t extremely online supposed to know about Stormfront?

Google: “where all da racism at?”

“The most racist website?”

“A flock of Nazis is called?”

Not understanding that NORMAL PEOPLE who frankly DO NOT POST in bbc forums in the 2020’s aren’t ignorant, you’re just hyperonline, is one of my favorite goonisms.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
So ANYWAY

The new Superman show had an "alternate reality" superman eye laser a bunch of soldiers.

Homelander did it better.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Defiance Industries posted:

He said that someone is racist for not putting beans in chili . I don't know where you're getting a defense of racial epithets from out of that.

In fairness I have to cop to some weak trolling on my part. Tezcatlipoca once caught a prob for basically saying that all-meat chili was racist because of bean gatekeeping and I was making a dig at that.

I've never called someone a "beaner" though, which I do agree is a slur and it doesn't make me uncomfortable to acknowledge that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
When I was a lil kid I thought up the word "Beaner" and used it to describe people who drank coffee.

This, did not go well.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I think we can agree that all beans are beautiful.

Except for lima beans, they can go gently caress themselves.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Uh you shouldn't be likening a very real and deadly serious phenomenon to knowing obscure websites popular in the aughts. Its offensive.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i prefer to be called a person of beans. covid has turned me into a bean hording freak of nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I will never jeopardize the beans.