Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

Very little infuriates me as much as scaremongering about "GMO foods". All food is genetically modified. We've groomed both animals and plants to make them more efficient to farm and eat for thousands of years, even before we knew what genetics were.

speak for yourself I only eat wild teosinte grains and penguin meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does Garrison have fans, or is his audience mostly people like us who laugh at him? Even on the right, I feel like 4chan can’t take him seriously.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Raised By Birds posted:

Unironically going :supaburn: FLUORIDE :supaburn: in twenty twenty one.
This cartoon is a rerun isn't it?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Anidav posted:

3 women have come forward saying they were raped or sexually abused in Parliament House.

Actually make that 4.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Pilchenstein posted:

This cartoon is a rerun isn't it?

Yeah, he mentions it in the text. He published it six years ago, and O know I’ve seen it before in one of this thread’s predecessors

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

DreamingofRoses posted:

I would like to point out that ‘trans’ was not originally a stand alone word, it’s a prefix and is still specifically a prefix in a scientific context (chemistry naming for one) hence why the original description was trans{noun} and not Trans {Noun}. Obviously, language changes and we should refer to people how they prefer to be referred to, but it’s not just a TERF thing.

Edit: I’d love to ask Garrison if he knows what mRNA is, let alone why it’s scary.

I will point out, as well, that there have been trans people...preferring...the separated version for a long time, as well, within the community, so, yes, it's definitely not just a TERF thing. I'm one of them, as I've been arguing for 'trans woman/man' for over 20 years at this point, long before the term TERF ever existed. For the exact reasons that it's now generally being argued for by others, rather than the compounded versions thereof.

I don't say this attempting to claim any authority or clout or, uh, whatever, just offering a personal anecdote for the discussion.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Does Garrison have fans, or is his audience mostly people like us who laugh at him? Even on the right, I feel like 4chan can’t take him seriously.

Well I mean, he was invited to a White House social media summit (before he was removed from the list after Jewish groups called out his antisemitism). That means he probably carries some bit of clout, even if he wasn't well known before he'd definitely get fans when that happened. I also think Trump retweeted one of his cartoons, or maybe that was Branco, or both.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

He got invited to the Trump White House (later rescinded) so I guess someone likes him (Nazis)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

RoboRodent posted:

GMO is just about my least favourite phrase, never fails to get my hackles up. I hate it.

Let's see, you can selectively breed and cross two types of corn with no control and hope the genes sort out in the way you want, or you can use some really incredible modern technology to change the exact gene you want to change and nothing else and get exactly the result you want on the first try.

But one is "unnatural" so that makes it magically bad I guess.
One of the reasons why I think GMO is a meaningless term is because it encompasses both the sort of thing you're talking about--crops that are created by hybridising existing plants to produce desired traits, like glyphosate-resistant crops--and genetic engineering to introduce non-plant genes and produce transgenic crops--like Bt corn, which incorporates genetic material from Bacillus thuringiensis or drought-resistant corn produced by introducing B. subtilis genes.

And for the record I think that GMO crops have been a net win for everybody (the main downsides being the nonsense involving controlling seeds via patents, which has nothing to do with the science). But it isn't accurate to present GMO crops, in general, as being comparable to past selective breeding. There is no programme of selected breeding that would get you Bt corn (I guess outside of science fiction scenarios where you somehow bred from some remote common ancestor to re-created corn or whatever).

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Garrison definitely has fans, i had one in my art class last year and my reading class before that. He brought a garrison comic when told to bring in comics that are making a statement or something i cant remember. And then i get him a year later in the art class and im like, "okay maybe hell just draw neutral art like the rest of us". a teacher told us to use various techniques for a art piece and for us to try and convey meaning. Dude drew trump as a super Saiyan, I poo poo you not, talking about how hes gonna clean up the deep state and stuff. teacher was like, " uh huh, thats great, the shading on the curtains behind him is nice"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

the_steve posted:

This is a pretty lazy, low-effort post. All you did was erase half of a comic to make a slightly edgier version of the point it was already making, and you didn't even have the decency to put it in TIMG tags. The only reason I didn't probe it is because 6 hours would be overkill.
i'll have you know i did quite a bit more than that (but fair point on the timg):

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Are you under the impression that the God of the Hebrew Bible had nothing to say about war, and how it should be properly conducted?

VitalSigns posted:

p sure the joke is that God didn't say anything because He doesn't exist

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

DreamingofRoses posted:

Yeah, he mentions it in the text.
I didn't read it - I'm happy for him though, or sorry that happened etc :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well I mean, he was invited to a White House social media summit (before he was removed from the list after Jewish groups called out his antisemitism). That means he probably carries some bit of clout, even if he wasn't well known before he'd definitely get fans when that happened. I also think Trump retweeted one of his cartoons, or maybe that was Branco, or both.

It’s truly a missed opportunity that there was nobody in the White House brave or stupid enough to invite Stan Kelly.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FFT posted:

i'll have you know i did quite a bit more than that (but fair point on the timg):

wow cool I bet r/athiesm absolutely loved it

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Thanks for this daily ration of gently caress you, now I'm fully awake.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How the gently caress do you go from fretting about what Trump did the week prior, to then bemoaning when people try to punish him for it?

Even the sour grapes fox is like jesus dude those are two very contradictory thoughts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Im not sure who to yell gently caress YOU at first. Flushman I guess? They are all rephensible

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wasn't sure what Tinsley was talking about. It seems it's about this:

quote:

Department of Homeland Security officials are planning to scrap a Trump-era version of the civics test administered to would-be US citizens that was criticized as being harder and more complex than its predecessor, according to officials and government documents obtained by BuzzFeed News.

The plans come just two months after the Trump administration issued a new version of the civics test that all immigrants have two chances to pass in order to become citizens.

The Trump-era version issued by US Citizenship and Immigration Services added more than two dozen questions for immigrants to prepare for and included wording changes that in some cases made it more complex, according to immigrant advocates. Under the Trump-era exam, immigrants had to get 12 out of 20 questions correct; previously, the minimum requirement was 6 out of 10 questions. Advocates, such as the Catholic Legal Immigration Network, also said the wording of certain correct answers was changed due to “political influence”; for example, the answer to “Who does a U.S. senator represent?” was altered from “all the people” to “citizens of their state.”

Immigrant groups and attorneys claimed the changes were part of the Trump administration’s overall effort to restrict immigration and curtail the number of people able to gain citizenship. Agency officials, however, said it was part of a process to update the questions to prepare immigrants to become US citizens.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: To End Virtual Instruction, End Virtual Funding

Ted Rall posted:

Americans have been neglecting public education for many decades. Buildings are old and have outdated ventilation systems. Classrooms are overcrowded. Teachers are under compensated. Now everyone’s talking about how important it is for kids to get back to school following or during the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown, but they still don’t want to fix those issues. Then they blame the teachers unions for refusing to let their members risk their lives because the community is too cheap to make school safe.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Some good points there Ted Hell, I still want you to gently caress off.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Leaving aside the obvious contenders within the US, my own version of reading Fark or whatever "gazing into the abyss", is checking out what older Russian emigrant circles have to say (mostly because I'm a part of the Russian diaspora). They're generally fairly right-wing, but in different flavor from regular US right-wing psychos.

And some fairly prominent people regurgitate "masks are just muzzles the bloody bureaucrats put on us to enforce conformity and check how willing we are to go along with gubmint tyranny" wholesale.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is the coyote supposed to be a child too? If he's an adult why is he giving a child flowers and chocolate on Valentine's Day? I never really understood this. With Calvin and Hobbes, Hobbes is basically an ageless cartoon character because he's Calvin's imaginary friend and not a real person, but Winslow here is definitively a real person with a family, job, etc. You can't abstract it that way. Why do they even hang out in the first place?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yes? BLM has been combatting systemic racism and considering it's a loosely organized movement it's been mostly non-violent. Certainly less violent than the groups that are against then.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Alhazred posted:

Yes? BLM has been combatting systemic racism and considering it's a loosely organized movement it's been mostly non-violent. Certainly less violent than the groups that are against then.
Literally any time you bring this up to the people who scoff at it, someone will post a picture of a Target on fire or something. Tada, your point is now disproven!!

zombie goast
Apr 21, 2015

on company time

Terrible Opinions posted:

Awful lot of very green pine trees for Texas too.

There's like an entire region of Texas called "The Piney Woods", friend. It's pretty green. And full of pine trees.

e: I guess it spans into Arkansas and Louisiana, but the point is Texas isn't one inexplicably huge desert like in cartoons.

zombie goast fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 22, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't hate that Rall comic, but I do still hate Rall.

I also agree with liberal strawman kid, there shouldn't be a test for citizenship.

Literally A Good Cartoon.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SirSamVimes posted:

wow cool I bet r/athiesm absolutely loved it
okay
maybe some day i'll post it in a misspelled spinoff of edge

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SubG posted:

One of the reasons why I think GMO is a meaningless term is because it encompasses both the sort of thing you're talking about--crops that are created by hybridising existing plants to produce desired traits, like glyphosate-resistant crops--and genetic engineering to introduce non-plant genes and produce transgenic crops--like Bt corn, which incorporates genetic material from Bacillus thuringiensis or drought-resistant corn produced by introducing B. subtilis genes.

And for the record I think that GMO crops have been a net win for everybody (the main downsides being the nonsense involving controlling seeds via patents, which has nothing to do with the science). But it isn't accurate to present GMO crops, in general, as being comparable to past selective breeding. There is no programme of selected breeding that would get you Bt corn (I guess outside of science fiction scenarios where you somehow bred from some remote common ancestor to re-created corn or whatever).

Roundup Ready crops weren't created through hybridization and traditional breeding techniques. The DNA sequence for the modified enzyme they use that's not inhibited by glyphosate was originally isolated from Agrobacterium growing in a herbicide production facility, which was then modified for plant expression. You can make an argument that it's "more natural" than plants that make bacterial toxins as pesticides, because it's a modified version of an enzyme that's already present in the plant cells, but Roundup Ready couldn't exist without the same production techniques.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: To End Virtual Instruction, End Virtual Funding

These are actually all good points so I agree with the comic but again this is Ted Rall who has a comic complaining that a teacher who saved kids during a tornado only did it because she was a gross fatty so I can’t take him siding with teachers with any sincerity

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

FFT posted:

okay
maybe some day i'll post it in a misspelled spinoff of edge

It's a bad comic, OP. You made a bad comic.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

"'Pee pee doo doo I am a dumb kid' - a kid" - Tinsley, over and over until the heat death of the universe

quote:

I mean, yep, pretty much

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vib Rib posted:

Literally any time you bring this up to the people who scoff at it, someone will post a picture of a Target on fire or something. Tada, your point is now disproven!!

Yep. According to them, every fire and broken window in recorded history was done by BLM and/or Antifa.
If you show them video of cops being the ones to start the poo poo or lifelong Republican voters to have lit the match, they were undercover BLM/Antifa agents trying to frame Republicans or do a false flag.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Adolf Hitler gets nominated every year by an old commie politician every year over here so I don't see the argument.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

"Snow and ICE"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I think a lot of awards are poorly given out.
For instance,
Rush received the Medal of Honor.
Kissinger received the Noble Peace Prize.
Ramirez received two Pulitzer’s.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Snow and ICE"

Oh yeah, there's that "You could see a chud unironically posting this and thinking it's serious" realism that I expect from Kelly.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Alhazred posted:

"Mostly non-violent" is a dogwhistle for old conservative white people. In their version of reality, BLM was rampaging through the streets, burning down buildings left and right, leveling entire city blocks, and killing and raping indiscriminately as they went. Our Brave Boys in Blue were helpless to stop the hordes, as the Democrat coward mayors told them to stand down. So when reporters (accurately) described protests as "mostly non-violent", it filled them with righteous indignation and it was proof that the lamestream media was in cahoots with the racebaiting commies.

Source: my dad's Facebook feed for like three weeks in July

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Boris Johnson's roadmap to easing Covid rules — PM is to set out his plan for easing Covid restrictions for what he hopes will be the final time"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I’m a fan of the grotesquery of britoons.