Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There's a lot of money in being a public figure. If he wrote a book, it'd probably sell like gangbusters. If someone wanted to make a movie on him he can sell the rights. He got propelled to national fame for doing gently caress-all.

Most importantly if he opened his own financial advisory firm he could point out, correctly, that he spoke to Congress after making millions and millions of dollars on a relatively modest stock position.

Jim Cramer made good money as a hedge fund manager but he probably makes more money now.

Also, importantly, people loving LOVE getting their dick sucked over the internet and he probably just threw away $1.5m on that 50k share purchase to boost his reddit account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I really don’t get it. It just seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

But then again stonks people like him are most likely literal psychopaths and not some regular Joe that won a lottery.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

https://twitter.com/chamath/status/1363571801289154560?s=20
Prediction: Chamath is about to humiliate his financial enemies by dropping a Taylor Swift style callout song.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Grem posted:

I picked out tile and everything gently caress you

Rofl this should be thread title. Very accurate representation of stock investing.

Edit: Because this is me if NDRA fails.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 22, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Guys slow the gently caress down. If I gave that impression, I sincerely apologize. I don’t have that sum of money. I just wanted to know what people could do to convert it into safe assets without getting murdered.

I already took delivery of a Lambo assuming I'd be able to get a few coins off you. You're on the hook for it now, I can't sell it with Elon spinners and doge vinyl wrap.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

for the price of once lowly bitcoin i can forget I ever read your posts

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

jeeves posted:

Do see how quickly money changes people?

Like seriously if that ever happened to me I wouldn’t even tell my spouse.

I mean it’s a good lesson for like if anyone ever made it quickly rich on like the GME shenanigans. I really don’t understand how much of an idiot that DFV guy is for being so public about all of it.

No, I;m still the same. I would never betray my best friend Draftwork.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but say you dug up an old computer and found some BTC on it... from the days when people used to send eachother BTC as a joke and it's like 10,000 coins...
How do you convert that to cash? Every time I ask that question I get some incredulous looks about how you aren't supposed to go back to cash out and just keep trading with it to make it even bigger. But at some point surely you want to buy things with it no?

Edit: THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL. I DONT HAVE THIS MONEY
I would register accounts on every US-based exchange that you can withdraw USD from (Coinbase Pro and Gemini, not sure if there are others) and begin transferring smaller sums, maybe 50 or 100 BTC, at a time. I would sell those in chunks on each exchange throughout the day. Maybe 10-20% at a time. This helps the market absorb your sales without taking too much liquidity from the order books.

I would also contact the exchanges and ask for them to increase how much cash I can withdraw per day. Tell them you have a large amount to cash out--they might actually be willing/able to facilitate a large transaction off the exchange. Probably for a much larger fee than you would pay on the exchange, but with the benefit of it all being done at once with a reliable party. You would 100% need to hire a good lawyer for this... hire someone very expensive from a top law firm because it will be worth it and you want a firm with reputation at stake.

If the exchanges can't help you, then just keep withdrawing cash until your balance is low, then send more BTC and repeat.

Not sure what the default daily USD limits are on those exchanges, probably 5 figures or low 6. Gonna take a long time to get everything out, but you'd still be able to get an insane amount of money out in just a couple months by doing this. Just keep doing it until the bubble pops or you have enough money that it's no longer worth it to even bother getting more out.

People who say you can't get large sums out of exchanges are wrong. In 2017/2018 I day traded my way from 10k to 300k, and had no issues on Coinbase Pro. I could buy/sell 10-20 BTC at a time without liquidity problems.

The bottleneck is how much the exchange will let you withdraw in USD per day. But they do have a process for increasing your daily limit if you need it (or at least, they did at the time I used CB Pro).

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 22, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Who gives a poo poo about preserving liquidity in the Bitcoin market, lol

Open palm slap that sell button

Also just lmfao that you’d need to be approved by the exchanges to liquidate your unregulated decentralized cryptocurrency

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The daily volume of btc is like $50b+, I don’t think 10,000 coins is going to change the price that much. Dump baby dump.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Just put in a market order to sell all 10,000 of them at once so this thread can be on the news. Wear a gold lame suit and the million dollar belt (you will have to buy this) for your congressional hearing and explain to Maxine Waters that you did it because “forum goons” told you they were “buttcoins”.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

jokes posted:

Who gives a poo poo about preserving liquidity in the Bitcoin market, lol

Open palm slap that sell button

Also just lmfao that you’d need to be approved by the exchanges to liquidate your unregulated decentralized cryptocurrency
Because you can get more money out if you don't gently caress over the market by selling it all at once like an idiot

Tbh the way to do it is sell $500k worth on the exchanges, withdraw to bank account, go and put a top law firm on retainer. Tell them you need help selling a shitload of bitcoin and you'll pay them a commission--probably a % of the total, I'm sure they'll negotiate something comfortable for them.

Idk that should work

To be safe, only tell them you have 1000 BTC and see if they do a good job. But if it's all in one address I guess they'd know how much you really have since it's public (lol)

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Even if the dude isn't lying about being an accidental millionaire don't sweat it, there's always gonna be someone richer than you. All that's important is having enough money to live comfortably into your old age and to support any children you have.

its cool how this is impossible for vast swathes of america

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It would be 0.03% of the total Bitcoin market cap. That’s nothing, the market fluctuates more than that in 5 minutes usually and there’s plenty of liquidity at all times to handle an order like that. Not sure where anyone is getting “you’ll affect the market” thing from, just literally set a market sell order and you’ll absolutely get buyers all the way down and easily clear most if not al of the coins at nearly the current price.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Uranium 235 posted:

Because you can get more money out if you don't gently caress over the market by selling it all at once like an idiot

I’d rather have $200 million in my youth savers checking account right now than attempt to navigate a brand new world of lawyers and screwjobs hoping to get $300 million later, all the while btc is doing its thing and could crash 90% because the wind blew wrong.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wouldn't worry about crashing BTC, but how does the exchange settle all that cash? Who runs such an exchange? We've been used to dealing with licensed brokers and banks for so long, we might tend to think anything that labels itself an "exchange" is run by well manicured Wall Street types, and not some desert libertarians who sees this windfall as their chance to yolo off to the Caribbean and prove to Elon that the Earth is flat using weed and the world's biggest potato gun.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hmm, everything is down pre-market, 55 posts since midnight - wonder what's going on? Ahh, begging for fake money. Carry on.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
You guys chase that fake Bitcoin dude, meanwhile I’m going to cuddle up to the goon with boxes of Moxes.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

You guys chase that fake Bitcoin dude, meanwhile I’m going to cuddle up to the goon with boxes of Moxes.

BTC is way more liquid and harder to crash than the power market.

I sold off my power a couple years ago because the fakes are getting extremely good. Another couple years and they may be indistinguishable outside a lab.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

leper khan posted:

I sold off my power a couple years ago because the fakes are getting extremely good. Another couple years and they may be indistinguishable outside a lab.

I've had a bb power set since last playing in ~2006 and am worried about that exact thing lol

Did you get them graded/authenticated? And sell to individuals, or use a middle man?

I'd put the money into GME so this is tangentially related ok

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Tetramin posted:

I’m pretty small time, but I’m holding more than I want to, I would rather be betting bigger on the stuff I feel good about and am paying close attention to. I think Monday I’ll be selling some of my holdings so I can get in for more on the ones I like, even tho I’m profitable on a couple of them. Reasonable? Stupid?

You should keep track of what % your single stocks and risky bets are of your total portfolio. Give yourself a budget, maybe 10%. If it grows much beyond that, sell off and re-invest in a total market fund.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Nosre posted:

I've had a bb power set since last playing in ~2006 and am worried about that exact thing lol

Did you get them graded/authenticated? And sell to individuals, or use a middle man?

I'd put the money into GME so this is tangentially related ok

I bought them originally from reliable sources and independently verified them using all the normal methods (or cracked them from BGS coffins). When I moved there wasn't a vintage scene so I wasn't using them anymore anyway. Got friendly with a local shop owner some co-workers had known for years, sold them on a commission with a floor on the prices. Collectively I sold everything for more than I paid for it, I think the shop sold it all to one person.

Took about two months from delivering the power to getting a phone call to pick up my money.

edit: as an amusing aside, I marked up the cost of my ruby by the cost of the Dremel I had to buy to free it from its prison. I think I've used it once since.

leper khan fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 22, 2021

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

paternity suitor posted:

You should keep track of what % your single stocks and risky bets are of your total portfolio. Give yourself a budget, maybe 10%. If it grows much beyond that, sell off and re-invest in a total market fund.

I'll get back below 10% soon enough. :smith:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nice, thanks. I've been away from the area for years (I'm in the EU, and COVID...) but definitely want to spend a few months doing that when I can

Now back to electronic stocks discussion instead of cardboard stocks

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

paternity suitor posted:

Yeah good advice. I think I'm gonna do something like that for a long term plan.... assuming I don't lose a ton on my stocks...

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
My neighbor passed away and it turned out he was a hoarder. (Kept a very neat exterior, so wouldn't have thought it'd be a tinder box inside).

I scored some hi-fi vintage speakers that got left out for trash collection (well, it was three sets of speakers).

All this bitcoin chat makes me think I should have taken the 100+ loose hard drives and 50+ that were still in towers.

Would've paid my mom's student loans with half a buttcoin. :3:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Congrats to the goon who definitely didn't win the bitcoin lottery. Just like OJ didn't kill Nicole.

*WINK*

Seriously: good luck, buddy.

Anyway, there's a Bloomberg rumor that Lucid/CCIV is being announced tomorrow with a $15 billion valuation. Pre-market trading looks like it's back around $60.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Mr. Pizza posted:

its cool how this is impossible for vast swathes of america Planet Earth.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Tortilla Maker posted:

My neighbor passed away and it turned out he was a hoarder. (Kept a very neat exterior, so wouldn't have thought it'd be a tinder box inside).

I scored some hi-fi vintage speakers that got left out for trash collection (well, it was three sets of speakers).

All this bitcoin chat makes me think I should have taken the 100+ loose hard drives and 50+ that were still in towers.

Would've paid my mom's student loans with half a buttcoin. :3:

Now you are the hoarder, congrats.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Uranium 235 posted:

I would register accounts on every US-based exchange that you can withdraw USD from (Coinbase Pro and Gemini, not sure if there are others) and begin transferring smaller sums, maybe 50 or 100 BTC, at a time. I would sell those in chunks on each exchange throughout the day. Maybe 10-20% at a time. This helps the market absorb your sales without taking too much liquidity from the order books.

I would also contact the exchanges and ask for them to increase how much cash I can withdraw per day. Tell them you have a large amount to cash out--they might actually be willing/able to facilitate a large transaction off the exchange. Probably for a much larger fee than you would pay on the exchange, but with the benefit of it all being done at once with a reliable party. You would 100% need to hire a good lawyer for this... hire someone very expensive from a top law firm because it will be worth it and you want a firm with reputation at stake.

If the exchanges can't help you, then just keep withdrawing cash until your balance is low, then send more BTC and repeat.

Not sure what the default daily USD limits are on those exchanges, probably 5 figures or low 6. Gonna take a long time to get everything out, but you'd still be able to get an insane amount of money out in just a couple months by doing this. Just keep doing it until the bubble pops or you have enough money that it's no longer worth it to even bother getting more out.

People who say you can't get large sums out of exchanges are wrong. In 2017/2018 I day traded my way from 10k to 300k, and had no issues on Coinbase Pro. I could buy/sell 10-20 BTC at a time without liquidity problems.

The bottleneck is how much the exchange will let you withdraw in USD per day. But they do have a process for increasing your daily limit if you need it (or at least, they did at the time I used CB Pro).

How do you explain this money to the authorities/IRS though? How likely is it that someone comes investigating if you just declare it as capital gains or income or whatever and then you get into a whole legal quagmire trying to prove that source of the bitcoins?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

How do you explain this money to the authorities/IRS though? How likely is it that someone comes investigating if you just declare it as capital gains or income or whatever and then you get into a whole legal quagmire trying to prove that source of the bitcoins?

You pay taxes on the bitcoins. Someone in the BWM thread helped one of their clients go through this a few years back and it was not an insurmountable hassle.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kraftwerk posted:

Guys slow the gently caress down. If I gave that impression, I sincerely apologize. I don’t have that sum of money. I just wanted to know what people could do to convert it into safe assets without getting murdered.

https://www.napfa.org/

Get yourself an advisor whose job is aligned to the needs of the client and not their own bottom line.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

I’d rather have $200 million in my youth savers checking account right now than attempt to navigate a brand new world of lawyers and screwjobs hoping to get $300 million later, all the while btc is doing its thing and could crash 90% because the wind blew wrong.
It doesn't go straight into your bank account, you still have to deal with withdrawing cash $50k a day or whatever unless you get your daily limit increased by the exchange. If you could get it up to $500k you could get it all out in two years!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

GABA ghoul posted:

idk, that's what the lawyer is for

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

RIOT, MARA, CCIV, SAVA, PLTR all look interesting for potential volatility today

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Bitcoin is plunging this morning. I hope the poster earlier in this thread really did dump a bunch of coins if he had them.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I saw a commercial to invest in the InvescoQQQ fund over the weekend. Is it weird that ETFs themselves now are advertising to buy into them?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
CNBC has had ETF ads for quite a while, haven't they?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

GABA ghoul posted:

Why would you need to explain anything? It’s not illegal to own or sell bitcoins. You just pay the taxes and go on your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Elephanthead posted:

Now you are the hoarder, congrats.

Or maybe I flipped them for mad money. :colbert: