Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

i've seen people who are pretty savvy about the politics guessing game point out how easy it is to do dc/pr statehood, how it solves a lot of things long term, etc etc and that's why it + salt cap will be the only thing to get done

we just gotta wait and see because at this point it seems like there's literally no reason for congress to even exist

It was part of the bait and switch. Thats the tactic and it worked because consumers were created and voted. Citizens don't exist any more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-statehood-bowser/2021/01/07/91eeacae-511d-11eb-83e3-322644d82356_story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Flavius Aetass posted:

lol SOS is the state dish up there or what? explains a lot

DC- half smoke
VA- ham
MD- crabs
PA- cheesesteak
NY- pizza
Jersey- chicken savoy
Delaware.... .... ... SOS

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Biden said DC should be a state, but it's one of those things that absolutely requires the abolition of the filibuster, and oh shucks would you look at that

Access to statehood for DC and Puerto Rico

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm unfamiliar with half smoke and chicken savoy

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mastershakeman posted:

i've seen people who are pretty savvy about the politics guessing game point out how easy it is to do dc/pr statehood, how it solves a lot of things long term, etc etc and that's why it + salt cap will be the only thing to get done

we just gotta wait and see because at this point it seems like there's literally no reason for congress to even exist

oh yeah it's easy and would be good but it was never going to happen lol

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Not exactly the actions of a democrat but:
https://twitter.com/Econ_Marshall/status/1363500207250436097?s=19

Holy loving poo poo some Texans had their rate change to $9 a kWh overnight, and most of them have electric heat instead of gas furnaces. What a prime opportunity for the democrat party to make gains in Texas by doing direct payments of utility bills, or nationalizing utilities, or drone striking the boards of current utilities. Let's see what they end up doing!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yinlock posted:

comedy option: neera is getting knifed because the biden team completely believed their own bullshit about her being a fig leaf to the left, and as a leftist superstar she must be stopped

I want this to be true so badly

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Holy loving poo poo some Texans had their rate change to $9 a kWh overnight, and most of them have electric heat instead of gas furnaces. What a prime opportunity for the democrat party to make gains in Texas by doing direct payments of utility bills, or nationalizing utilities, or drone striking the boards of current utilities. Let's see what they end up doing!

they'll pressure ERCOT to hire Ella Emhoff

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

It's not easy at all. Admitting one new state, much less two, disrupts the power structure in DC and every single Republican and Republican-appointee will rightly see it as a direct threat to their influence and fight it to the death.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Nobody told mcmagic to shut the gently caress up all weekend. Come on.

It's his cute cat av, people want to see it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nothus posted:

It's not easy at all. Admitting one new state, much less two, disrupts the power structure in DC and every single Republican and Republican-appointee will rightly see it as a direct threat to their influence and fight it to the death.

PR will very likely be a republican state

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Flavius Aetass posted:

I'm unfamiliar with half smoke and chicken savoy

DC, my hometown, half smoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TxuMP74Rnc

chicken savoy sucks, but you know Jersey

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mastershakeman posted:

Lol, anyone who seriously thought the dems would do statehood for dc/pr is a bigger rube than Qanon weirdos expecting trump to drop in from a helicopter and arrest biden at the inauguration sting operation.

The more power the democrats have, the harder it is to pretend they're powerless.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

You know who has a lot of experience sitting on boards of energy companies? Hunter Biden

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

PR will very likely be a republican state

I'd say possibly rather than likely - to add to this it is hard to overstate how fundamentally baked in "the US federal government hosed us over and will always gently caress us over" is to PR politics. They don't really fall into a clean division so it's hard to predict who they end up bringing to the Senate

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'd say possibly rather than likely - to add to this it is hard to overstate how fundamentally baked in "the US federal government hosed us over and will always gently caress us over" is to PR politics. They don't really fall into a clean division so it's hard to predict who they end up bringing to the Senate

abortion, gays, religious freedom. they are very socially conservative. and their elite and political structure would make romney blush.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

MysteriousStranger posted:

DC, my hometown, half smoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TxuMP74Rnc

chicken savoy sucks, but you know Jersey

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

lol for at least five years all these people have been saying that rude tweets by supporters of a particular candidate were disqualifying for office

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i don't know why that chili looks so watery but a half smoke looks good anyway. mustard on a chili dog is always tasty.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Flavius Aetass posted:

i don't know why that chili looks so watery but a half smoke looks good anyway. mustard on a chili dog is always tasty.

when I was a kid we used to have burgs with chili and slaw and mustard and they were very good. I think it's a regional thing in NC

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1363835937239699458

digging how democrats are just celebrities now and the idea that they could do good things by exercising their control of the government instead of raising money for charity is just crazy talk

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol the US is a failed state

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

gradenko_2000 posted:

You know who has a lot of experience sitting on boards of energy companies? Hunter Biden

"Let them eat cake" is replaced as the go-to example of ruling class indifference with "c'mon man," which Joe Biden say in response to hunter, getting paid 100k a month on ERCOT's board, getting arrested for DUI while driving around Houston hosed up on lean with Chamillionaire and some strippers.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1363662291376373761

the parliamentarian isnt actually listening to the arguments or even reading them shes just tossing them in the trash can but as far as the intellectual rigor goes were doing great

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Unnamed One posted:

Spoiler: The lessons are all "Hide the old people's bodies"

You should vote for a Republican over Andrew Cuomo.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i think i posted this in the wrong thread before

https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1363652346354499593?s=20

:berned:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1363549049303932931

tired: space force is dumb and we should get rid of it

wired: space force is a national treasure and how dare trump take it away from a blue state

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

I mean some people can't handle the fact htat no one in government gives a poo poo about you so why not build a mythology to explain it

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
what exactly was ted cruz supposed to be able to do about the power outages, again? wasn't ercot specifically designed to evade federal regulation?

adler leaving for cabo when the pandemic was roaring seems worse honestly

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

QAnon is closer to the truth than whatever centrists believe.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

smellsownfarts posted:

One thing that constantly gets forgotten is that Bush II tried in some respects to shift the republican party away from the open embrace of racism that typifies the current republican party and drove the realignment. Bush II tried to tamp down (to a limited degree) open embrace of anti-muslim bias as a republican party plank This was not a policy thing - it had no impact on the war on terror - it was part of the "compassionate conservatism" rebranding. On a more policy level, the Bush II admin was in favor of immigration reform, as was (at the time) a reasonably sized bloc of elected republicans. Both things made it so that if you were a racist old white voter, the republican party was not advertising itself to you as The Party Of Racism. McCain's campaign continued that.

Now, this was always a polite veneer over the reality - the Republican Party was the party of racism, in reality and in policy - but it was trying to brand itself differently. And that gave an opening to keep certain people in the democratic tent because while they didn't like the Democratic Party's increasing acceptance of civil rights and immigration, the republican party wasn't making a concerted campaign to recruit them based on their dislike of those issues.

Hence, the ability of Obama to appeal to people who ultimately flipped to the Republican Party based on racism: the Republican Party wasn't advertising itself to them. So between two parties that weren't really appealing to their core desires, they went with Obama and the Democrats because if you're picking on economic policy, even Republican base voters don't like Republican economic policy, and Bush had just stupendously wrecked the economy.

But people harping on the "just run on unapologetic leftism!!!!" continually ignore that: racism is a stronger vote motivator. Trump flipped people by going "gently caress it, we're going to be open about this, immigrants aren't people, etc etc" and so because certaon blocs of voters like the racism more than they like the economic policy, people flipped.* Now, had Democrats done a better job in the 90s, perhaps these people would not have become as embittered as they are and not been vulnerable to that appeal. But that's not the same as that if you change those policies, those people will come back.

* the converse also happened after 2016: when the suburbs realized that no, trump was quite serious about being unapologetically pro-racism, they flipped to democrats even though they are much more of a natural fit for republican economic policies than blue-collar racist old white guys.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stellers bae posted:

what exactly was ted cruz supposed to be able to do about the power outages, again?

not leave

yes, if you get right down to it even the President doesn't necessarily improve the response or the situation just by being physically present in a disaster area, but that's what's expected of you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

Yeah, I don't wanna sound /too/ optimistic, but the hell we're in was the making of a gop senator and administration. The gop is now returning to obama-era obstructionism (trying to pin the dem gov'ts slow pace and ineffectiveness on the dem party) l. That obstructionism is delaying relief, but can't do so indefinitely. We started so far down that there's a lot of room to go up. There's certainly room to go further down, but the night and day differences between the gop and dem governments (and their approaches) leads me to think things will be getting noticably better for most people in short order. And the gop is splitting a bit, with the more misanthropic side seeming to have the advantage in the base, and a stalemate within the leadership.

If gop is planning obstruction in the hopes a majority "votes their pocketbook" - well, the Dems have the advantage so far as that strategy goes.

If they're gunna double down on qanon, misinfo campaigns (that align with efforts by foreign governments), and misanthropy... I mean, I think voters are growing savvy to the plot, so it's no longer a "zero-day exploit", and the misinfo has lost ground on social media, msm, AND they lost control of the federal aparatus that they used to signal boost and validate the lies.

They're gunna keep pushing the radical left to shame their lib friends for paying attention, participating, and voting in collonialist western politics, and I'm worried on that front, but I also fight on that front every day, and I know there are many leftists that hate collonialism but choose to pay attention and be smart about knowing the players and the moves in order to be more effective, and they're pushing back against the (clear "controlled opposition") strategy of using qanon leftists to convince progressive, liberal, and other left-leaning voters to abandon "lame-stream-media", abstain from voting, and abandoning the federal aparatus to Nazi control.

Also, let's consider demeanor. Contrast Beto and AOC's extra-curriculars to Cruz's, over the past week. It's not chance it played out that way. There are not even odds any given day that a dem it rep will be caught pants-down shouting "gently caress you got mine." Two years of such contrast serves the Dems, not the gop.

And then there's the whole "international fascist machine." The sockpuppet strategy that came into focus around '14 (and bore fruit in '16) was a bit if a zero-day, and it seems it was the GRU that employed it so effectively that the impact could no longer be credibly dismissed and denied. Since then, a lot of other state agencies, parties, and other such machine's have assembled similar sockpuppet armies, and now they pulling in different directions. It was pretty clear, for example, that the campaign to convince georgia maga voters to sit out the senate runoffs was *not* run by the IRA or Newt Gingrich, and I'd expect the original effort began outside the international fascist machine.

So yeah. Vote your pocketbook favors Dems. Qanon and sockpuppetry are no longer effective zero-day exploits. Horseshoe theory is real, but I don't think the Nazis will tip any upcoming elections pushing there. The Dems have a demeanor that will appeal more to the common person than the GOP.

If the Dems gain ground in '22, and they push hard to rebalance the gerrymandering that favors the minority party, maybe expand the senate by admitting new states, and pack the court, along with aneconomy that ROARS back following the deployment of the covid vaccine...

I do not identify as a dem; I am an anarchist
anticapitalist antifascist atheist.

I do not want ever again in my lifetime to see the GOP make gains in any governing body. I'm willing to work for this goal.

as an anarchist, i agree op.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Flavius Aetass posted:

chili is pretty good as well, it's not hot by any stretch of the imagination though it's an odd ball but the locals love it. half smokes are VERY good. IIRC costco now carries the halfsmokes from Ben's (at least in the DC area cause local dish)

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

gradenko_2000 posted:

not leave

yes, if you get right down to it even the President doesn't necessarily improve the response or the situation just by being physically present in a disaster area, but that's what's expected of you

oh ok that's what I thought then

I assume you can link footage of biden in texas?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in theory theres lots of stuff congress could do but nobody wants to discuss that because the senate being on break and no one having any interest in calling it back into session is the entire reason cruz left in the first place

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1363869640544378880?s=20

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

a thousand mean tweets

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stellers bae posted:

oh ok that's what I thought then

I assume you can link footage of biden in texas?

https://twitter.com/daniraestar/status/1363500506178551809

https://twitter.com/Photocrazy1/status/1363589416099344385

https://twitter.com/thefrogpryncess/status/1362924043398168577

if we're going to say that it's hypocritical for Cruz to be slammed for leaving Texas when Biden hasn't visited either, and the libs are making all sorts of excuses for Biden, or ignoring the issue completely, I'm right there with you, agreeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1363549049303932931

tired: space force is dumb and we should get rid of it

wired: space force is a national treasure and how dare trump take it away from a blue state

libs have been poised to reclaim space force for a while. Netflix whipped up a whole show about how space force is actually awesome and the only problem was orange man bad, complete with Steve carell and John malkovich talking down to an AOC stand-in who thinks maybe we should feed people with that money instead

https://youtu.be/vRGgi6RXXQs