Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I miss the old days when they would fumble allover themselves every other week it seemed

Chris, Sandi and Ben on camera every week spouting total bullshit

Archer, that one went on for months in my mind

Lando 'accidently' leaking a password for the servers

Dick wolf

Good times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Gravity_Storm posted:

I think CIG and Turbulent have shares in each other, and Turbulent is handling an increasing amount of development so it's more than an e-commerce website maker for CIG - they are fully integrated. As Turbulent is the only bit that's working I do wonder if they are driving the bus now basically.

Not that I would put any money near Chris Roberts, but if I did, it would be that Turbulent will be pushed out of the driver's window (by a young female in white tight short's and crimson top laughing has thought she is being tickled) and end up under the bus.

This would be a smooth operation.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Trilobite posted:

I think Chris is still on top, but only because they are still, in 2021, trying to make the Sq42 Mess Hall Scene work the way Chris's bone-stupid "vision" demands it should. If anyone else had the final say, they would have made it the first thing they shitcanned because, god, just imagine how bad the Mess Hall Scene is and how much money and effort has already been burned on it. And if no one was in charge, it would have been effectively scrapped by whatever poor slobs have been assigned to work on it, probably replaced with a pre-rendered cutscene, because literally nobody other than Chris thinks that there's any reason for fully-AI-driven cafeteria action to be a part of this or any other non-cafeteria-centric space game.

No!

You don't understand.

Once the fully AI-driven cafeteria action is in the game, this can be applied everywhere and you get the best dam space sim ever!

Just look how the tier 0 bar tenders have changed the whole AAAA games industry.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Chris Roberts directing the cafeteria scene....

Right, I want a slow pan across the cooking station, make sure you get every egg sizzling, I want to se liquids slowing moving in their glasses, bubbles in the fizzy drinks, a little cream floating on every coffee... perfect... right roll the scene!

Army dude runs in and lobs a frag grenade destroying everything in the room

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Gravity_Storm posted:

When the story is written one day, I'm guessing it will focus on Turbulent. I'm guessing there are some interesting characters over there. I mean, there must be right? They have knowingly enabled this deception and actually want to be more involved by doing the dev too.

Popete posted:

Turbulent probably doesn't give two shits about Star Citizen or Chris Roberts but they keep getting contracts to implement basic poo poo that CIG can't do themselves so hey just keep cashing those checks.

Turbulent happily lay claim to the referral, concierge and subscription programmes in their 'gamified transaction tools' case study, along with all the ship bling pages. They seem like pretty knowing partners in the poo poo show.

But sure for now it's all win for them. And if they get the repair job to get a MVP out I'm sure they wouldn't say no.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Blue On Blue posted:

what's that ship they sold in like year 2, and it hasn't been seen since?

i think it was the transport with the rotating cargo containers for some reason

The Hull ships are supposedly finally awakening like the Kraken. They've got the big ship-to-station docking tunnel thing coming that they need, and more importantly, they say Chris's magic physics grid code now allows for its slidey bits to slide past each other as it unfurls like a lego spider. (It's totally gonna ping bits of itself into the distance)

UnknownTarget posted:

My favorite is the mobile repair shop that has not been mentioned once since it was sold, like, ever.

You don't want to be a Repair Task Manager?

Just think, when this thing's physics grids ping apart you get to repair them. It's a job for life.

Popete posted:

Aren't there science and agriculture ships too? lol at ever seeing those beyond a non-functional basic ship like all the rest.

I think that's all one ship. The combined science/agriculture/exploration ship. It has all of the modules. Including a particle accelerator. To overclock your components. They've thought it all through.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I suddenly remember buying a copy of this for $60 like in 2012.

Nice to see progress remains in the toilet.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
cr dictator management style probably means he has ended up with a pretty good grip on the company. you don't rise to the top under such management through competence and delivering the goods.

cr might believe he is gods gift to game dev but the rest of them are probably a bit more grounded. if you got where you were from being an unrepentant yes man, blame dodging throwing other people under the bus piece of poo poo then the investors are bad news. if cr goes they will clean house sooner or later. most of the management are probably terrified of someone competent in charge so they actually have to deliver results.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Gravity_Storm posted:

When the story is written one day, I'm guessing it will focus on Turbulent. I'm guessing there are some interesting characters over there. I mean, there must be right? They have knowingly enabled this deception and actually want to be more involved by doing the dev too.

They do a good job of not having the spotlight focused on them, staying in the shadows while CIG gets most of the blame.

https://www.turbulent.ca/craft/star-citizen/

"Look at this interactive 3D map for the entire Star Citizen universe! It has a starmap and you can explore all the 91 star systems the game has!"

"See this galactapedia? It contains all the lore and information on the rich Star Citizen universe, continuously updated."

"Check out all these slick promo pages for the individual ship marketing campaigns, these are all ships that exist and they're all so unique!"

"The game is so finely tuned and optimized, we provide tools that help players accurately gauge their system performance to ensure the best experience possible."

They are responsible for helping to perpetuate this fraud.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
2020 review in gifs:

January
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W0sbCLnxYI

February

March

April

May
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aukpjW8Kmus

June
https://i.imgur.com/am99n3U.mp4

July
https://i.imgur.com/KIhBUV6.mp4
(unmute)

August

September
https://v.redd.it/145owhd7n8q51/DASH_480.mp4

October
https://v.redd.it/wcgcfifnpuv51/DASH_720.mp4

November
https://i.imgur.com/XXvhOd3.mp4

December

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I suddenly remember buying a copy of this for $60 like in 2012.

Nice to see progress remains in the toilet.

Toilet gameplay is on its way! :toot:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ah, restrooms and pooping tech. Imagine the possibilities.

Diapers to be worn in spacesuits, just like real astronauts.

QTEs for bodily excretory systems.

Should I drink this black coffee or will it make me poop while on a combat mission?

Controversy among backers surrounding access to public restrooms.

And so on.

Exciting.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Khanstant posted:

my bad, WoW sucks in a lot of ways and i totally misread it as a bizarro world wow instead of applying the joke logic to another game as it seems obvious after i used it to diarrhea wow opinions unasked

Let s/he that is without a bad/embarrassing post in the SC thread cast the first persistent wine glass.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:reddit: Divert Attitude Control System (DACS) kinetic warheads: hover test. - good example for why the movement of SC ships is perfectly fine.

https://v.redd.it/6v911rsoxqi61/DASH_480.mp4
:lol:

Some naysayer posted:

No, it's not perfectly fine for ships because of this.

Scale matters. It really, really matters. Ships are utterly massive compared to this thing, multiple tons at the lowest end of the spectrum and going up rapidly from there. Asking thrusters to provide the same jerky, ultra-precise movement control is demanding exponential force multipliers from maneuvering thruster outputs not much bigger than what we see here.

No one wants to take into account the mechanical stresses on a hull when such an incredible amount of force is applied to such a small area. Of the many reasons why this doesn't work realistically in large-scale applications, this is a big one. A thruster of the size we have on ships applying the amount of force required for this kind of movement would cut through a hull like butter. It's the principle behind the effectiveness of Idris railgun rounds; a massive amount of instantaneous force being applied to a small area.

It may be the future in SC, but even if we were constructing our hulls out of neutron star matter it still wouldn't work, because the requisite force to move that mass would also scale up proportionately and we'd be left in the same situation.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Both sides there miss that even if they can come up with a lore reason for ships moving like that, they shouldn't because it looks like poo poo. Probably plays like poo poo too, but to be sure of that I'd have to play star citizen

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pixelate posted:

The Hull ships are supposedly finally awakening like the Kraken. They've got the big ship-to-station docking tunnel thing coming that they need, and more importantly, they say Chris's magic physics grid code now allows for its slidey bits to slide past each other as it unfurls like a lego spider. (It's totally gonna ping bits of itself into the distance)

The best part of Star Citizen is that they could also be talking about the RSI Orion, the other ship they sold in year 2 with big spinny cargo bits that has never been heard of since lol.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Both sides there miss that even if they can come up with a lore reason for ships moving like that, they shouldn't because it looks like poo poo. Probably plays like poo poo too, but to be sure of that I'd have to play star citizen

This is why the arguments about window struts and flight models and poo poo are always so funny to me. These nerds get down in the mud and claw each other's eyes out over the manufacturing process of transparent aluminum or thrusters or whatever in Star Citizen's universe and everyone misses the part where someone goes "Yeah but it isn't fun???"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The original FFXIV had the flowerpots that had as many polygons as player characters, which crippled performance. What are the most wasteful assets in SC made in the name of fidelity, but not sanity?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

This is why the arguments about window struts and flight models and poo poo are always so funny to me. These nerds get down in the mud and claw each other's eyes out over the manufacturing process of transparent aluminum or thrusters or whatever in Star Citizen's universe and everyone misses the part where someone goes "Yeah but it isn't fun???"
Some redditors said that gameplay and fun is more important than realism. But I think they're missing the point. Flight model is no-clip not because it's more fun than semi-realistic flight model (fun clearly isn't their goal in this game), but because they are unable to make a flight model that doesn't look like poo poo.
:crobear:'s Razor: "Never attribute to design that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The original FFXIV had the flowerpots that had as many polygons as player characters, which crippled performance. What are the most wasteful assets in SC made in the name of fidelity, but not sanity?

Watermelons

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Qwertycoatl posted:

it plays like poo poo

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the most wasteful assets in SC made in the name of fidelity, but not sanity?

chris roberts

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

I do wonder what Chris actual position in the company these days is. They can't get rid of him but he was clearly told to stop talking and promising ever more poo poo they couldn't deliver. My guess is he retains his title but is functionally pushed into a corner.

That said I don't think anyone is really in control of this ship. It's clear from the patchwork development that teams are operating mostly independent of one another with no clear end goal at any level.

I'd not be surprised if CIG has indicated for all intents and purposes that SC is basically "feature complete" and released and they are just doing maintenance work on it. The only outstanding delivery is just Sq404.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Grubby Hobo posted:

Sandi might have no shame, but Chris will always know that he could not make the game of his dreams, even with fanboys throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at him, over more than a decade.

He won't announce that, but he will know.

I hope people in the circles he travels in now always remind him of that too.

"Oh well look who showed up at tonight's drug orgy! Mr Chris "infinite time and money is still not enough for me to finish". Watch out boys and girls, if you get stuck with him he'll be incapable of finishing anything he started no matter how long you give him."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Flannelette posted:

I know it's optimistic but a lot of the stuff they've made ported back into a single player game would probably work fine, great even.

I think it would. You should see performance closer to like Arena Captain. But that'd be dependent on what they did for some of the under the good stuff, like AI and player positioning and actions. Converting to single player may not be super easy either.

But you'll see how awesome it is when sq44 releases to amazing applause.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Yeah I admire the purity of Sandi. She showed nothing but contempt for the backers and their dumb space game for nerds, and was extremely obvious about just treating the project as a cash cow and a Hollywood vehicle. If you’re a lovely and greedy person, I’d rather you just own it.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

I'd not be surprised if CIG has indicated for all intents and purposes that SC is basically "feature complete" and released and they are just doing maintenance work on it. The only outstanding delivery is just Sq404.

I think internally they must consider Star Citizen to be “released” at this point. When you look at the roadmap, the scope of each update really looks like quarterly add-on’s and improvements to a finished product. They’ve had the “playable now” narrative going for a while now, and they’ve dropped the pretense of having even a vague outline for moving the game towards the scope they’ve promised. Everything is being quietly walked back and memory-holed, except for some low hanging Second Life tedium.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

colonelwest posted:

Yeah I admire the purity of Sandi. She showed nothing but contempt for the backers and their dumb space game for nerds, and was extremely obvious about just treating the project as a cash cow and a Hollywood vehicle. If you’re a lovely and greedy person, I’d rather you just own it.

As far as vehicles to Hollywood go, the grift-mobile works. Their kid Skye Roberts may actually make it as an actress given that she's been in some Disney roles and Doom Patrol and such. So Sandi gets to live vicariously through her kid. This won't be a disaster or have anything go wrong at all :toot:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pixelate posted:

2020 review in gifs:

it's beautiful

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Was death by rear end from 2019?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

God star citizen kicks rear end in so many different ways it’s this perfect microcosm of everything wrong with the games industry shoved into one product that a small group of idiots with undying loyalty playing this mediocre space sim forever out of sunk costs after putting tens of thousands of dollars into it.

I look forward to the “video game critique” people making 18 hour long videos about it praising how subversive it is or some poo poo.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I am sure it has been discussed earlier and I probably just missed it but...

What is the general thinking of the outlook of the current CIG investors of getting their money back from this project? It seems clear that it would take a lot of more time and money to get anything usable out to the consumers even under competent managements.. more than any investor would be willing to provide. So.. Beyond milking the JPEG market, is there ANY value to the entire company and bits and bytes that have been created? Companies sometimes get broken up and sold piecemeal - is something like this even possible here? What realistic options are there to squeeze money out of this thing?

Please feel free to point out some older post if this has been discussed lately. Thanks!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

chris roberts

He called me and we played sq42 yesterday.

It was bigger and better than ever.

Also space.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

LostRook posted:

Was death by rear end from 2019?

You can only fit so much rear end in one post!

But yeah that’s just a random sample. Butt death was 3.12 PTU I think.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

SirTagz posted:

I am sure it has been discussed earlier and I probably just missed it but...

What is the general thinking of the outlook of the current CIG investors of getting their money back from this project? It seems clear that it would take a lot of more time and money to get anything usable out to the consumers even under competent managements.. more than any investor would be willing to provide. So.. Beyond milking the JPEG market, is there ANY value to the entire company and bits and bytes that have been created? Companies sometimes get broken up and sold piecemeal - is something like this even possible here? What realistic options are there to squeeze money out of this thing?

Please feel free to point out some older post if this has been discussed lately. Thanks!

There’s definitely some value to the company (the old Coutts loan was secured against the UK assets and IP). But I doubt there’s $63m value...

The thread has many theories (sucking on the ship sale teat, getting a foot in the games industry as a moon shot and not caring about failure). Agent’s leak summaries suggest they’re looking to SQ42 to actually launch soon and sell well at minimum (the mooks). And have flirted with the idea of marketing modules like ToW & Arena Commander more heavily.

It does seem possible that they’ve fallen for a Chris pitch and thought that a product wasn’t far off. And are now turning the screws to get SQ42 to market.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Why do people think the Calders have any ability to get this poo poo show under control and release an MVP?

They invested over $40 million in this trash fire and threw in another $15 million plus as extra kindling. How does that not make them the biggest idiot backers donating to Chris’s luxury lifestyle fund?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

walruscat posted:

Why do people think the Calders have any ability to get this poo poo show under control and release an MVP?

They invested over $40 million in this trash fire and threw in another $15 million plus as extra kindling. How does that not make them the biggest idiot backers donating to Chris’s luxury lifestyle fund?

Presumably the $55M has provisions for them to take control if things don't happen. They are the biggest idiots here though, yes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The calders have in the contract that they take ownership of all aeroplane wing desks if the game does not deliver so whatever happens they are quids in

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pixelate posted:

The thread has many theories (sucking on the ship sale teat, getting a foot in the games industry as a moon shot and not caring about failure). Agent’s leak summaries suggest they’re looking to SQ42 to actually launch soon and sell well at minimum (the mooks). And have flirted with the idea of marketing modules like ToW & Arena Commander more heavily.

My theory has been, and continues to be, that the investors are big old sucker morons who didn't look too closely before throwing a wad of millions at one of the hundred different companies they invested in that year

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

walruscat posted:

They are either A) dumb as poo poo, B) being defrauded by Chris with false claims about the viability of the company as a whole, or C) Have a super secret plan to use their minority investment to wrest control of the company from Chris to potentially make some money off this scam before selling all their shares back to Chris, effectively cashing out and leaving CIG bankrupt. I'm leaning towards C because if all parties play their cards right, Chris and co can keep their accumulated salaries, Calders gets their money back plus some interest, Chris gets somebody to blame who doesn't care about how nerds on the the internet feel about being scammed, and the only victims are the backers, which is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.
"I won't lie to you about your chances of getting a game... but you have my contempt"

So I see that Elite Dangerous is on sale on Steam. Is a sub 8 dollar game really the "competition" as envisioned by shitizens, or is that just a nominal cost and they make all their money from selling spacebucks? I'm not big on space pew pew games so I've never played it - I follow SC entirely for the shitshow.